NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 09-21-2024, 09:26 PM
Tim Odeen

Default 100 Days of Barry Larkin

I'm trying to reduce purchasing, but at the same time increase appreciation of my collection. There are roughly 100 days until New Years, so I've decided to share 100 days of Barry Larkin cards and memorabilia.

Leading off is a 1986-87 rookie era bat with PSA Cert. In 1986, he would play 41 games; he collected 45 hits, 1.5 WAR, with just 21 strikeouts.

20240921_162233.jpg

Sent from my SM-S926U using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo

Last edited by todeen; 09-21-2024 at 10:14 PM.
Old 09-21-2024, 09:39 PM
Shane

Love it! Barry Larkin was kinda underappreciated in his era and pretty much disrespected by the Reds at the very end of his career, but still handled it all with class. An excellent shortstop and I always enjoyed watching him. He was a great one!
Old 09-22-2024, 08:47 AM
Dave

I've posted this before, but here's my one Barry Larkin item. 1985 Press photo, pictured while still with the University of Michigan.
So what is it good for?
Old 09-22-2024, 11:23 AM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
I've posted this before, but here's my one Barry Larkin item. 1985 Press photo, pictured while still with the University of Michigan.
Great item, thanks for sharing. UM is a missing gap in my collection, as well as 1984 Olympics. BTW, his UM Jersey is for sale in ebay with UM Cert. Another amazing item.

Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 09-22-2024, 11:24 AM
Tim Odeen

Day 2: The Cincinnati Reds have routinely released a team set through Kahns hot dogs. The 1987 Kahns set includes a Larkin RC and is one of the most popular sets of the last 4 decades. Time will tell if the 2023 & 24 sets including Elly de la Cruz will overtake 1987 and 2008 (Votto).

Last edited by todeen; 09-22-2024 at 11:25 AM.
Old 09-23-2024, 05:54 PM
Tim Odeen

Day 3: 1987 Classic Green. There is also Classic Yellow Update. Many young collectors might find board games with sports card and a finger flicker unusual, but it was common for kids when we still had to use our imagination pre-video game consoles. I got SNES in 1995. Classic is just one of many baseball themed games that have appeared throughout the decades. New sets were produced for many years.

20240921_170011.jpg

Last edited by todeen; 09-23-2024 at 05:55 PM.
Old 09-24-2024, 01:29 PM
Tim Odeen

Day 4: 1987 Donruss Opening Day. A junk wax gimmick that still continues today, Opening Day has spread to Topps and other brands. But the crimson border looked great, rather than just a foil stamp.
Edit: it was brought to my attention that Topps ended their opening day set in 2022! I'm certain it'll come back as an insert somehow.

Last edited by todeen; Today at 05:43 PM.
Old 09-24-2024, 05:57 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Will be looking forward to updates to your thread. Being a Reds fan, Barry was my favorite active player for much of his career.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-3)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old Yesterday, 08:25 AM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
Will be looking forward to updates to your thread. Being a Reds fan, Barry was my favorite active player for much of his career.
glad this is bringing you an ounce of joy! that's better than crackers chirping.

Old Yesterday, 09:01 AM
Tim Odeen

Day 5: 1987 Donruss Rack Pack w/ Mattingly. These rack packs, and cello packs, were exciting to find with star players on the front or back. Displayed in grocery stores, drug stores, KMarts, etc, card companies were offering window shopping for cards. In 1987, the draw of this pack was Don Mattingly, on his way to a HOF career. But with the presence of time, Barry Larkin went on to have his own fine career and beat Mattingly to the gates of Cooperstown.

20240921_161836.jpg

Last edited by todeen; Yesterday at 09:01 AM.
Old Yesterday, 10:34 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
Day 5: 1987 Donruss Rack Pack w/ Mattingly. These rack packs, and cello packs, were exciting to find with star players on the front or back. Displayed in grocery stores, drug stores, KMarts, etc, card companies were offering window shopping for cards. In 1987, the draw of this pack was Don Mattingly, on his way to a HOF career. But with the presence of time, Barry Larkin went on to have his own fine career and beat Mattingly to the gates of Cooperstown.

Attachment 635708

Man, I never got to the packs in time to ever see a Mattingly on the front in my neck of the woods. Hell, the 1984 Topps racks were so notorious for being easily searchable, it was nearly impossible to find a pack with a Mattingly in it, even if he was in the middle of a pack, forget the front.
So what is it good for?
Old Yesterday, 10:43 AM
Dave

Anybody else find it odd that Barry's only updated set release in 1986 was by Sportflics, and his regular issue 1987 cards didn't contain a "Rated Rookie" or "Future Stars" insignia?

He was a highly touted 1st rounder, so it's not like he was sliding under the radar.

So what is it good for?
Old Yesterday, 12:09 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Quote:
Man, I never got to the packs in time to ever see a Mattingly on the front in my neck of the woods. Hell, the 1984 Topps racks were so notorious for being easily searchable, it was nearly impossible to find a pack with a Mattingly in it, even if he was in the middle of a pack, forget the front.
You didn't even have to search Topps rack packs because the order of cards in them was almost always the same. So even if Mattingly or Strawberry was not on the top, if you saw one of the cards that were typically in front of him, your odds were pretty good in turning one up.

todeen - love the Barry and Donnie rack.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-3)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)

Last edited by Bigdaddy; Yesterday at 12:10 PM.
Old Yesterday, 12:15 PM
Ben North

I absolutely love these types of threads when someone shows off their collection of their favorite player.
Old Yesterday, 07:29 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Recently bought the rack Pack from Net54 member BradMar48. He said he still has a bunch of stuff in storage from his days owning a shop. His quote was "I find things I forgot I had all the time."

Old Today, 05:39 PM
Tim Odeen

Day 6: 1987 Donruss with rookie era autograph. When I first saw this card I thought it was a fraud. After investigating, I discovered that this was his rookie auto, and he inscribed it with his rookie jersey #15 (also identified on his Kahns RC). I couldn't buy it fast enough.

Last edited by todeen; Today at 05:41 PM.
Old Today, 05:50 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Anybody else find it odd that Barry's only updated set release in 1986 was by Sportflics, and his regular issue 1987 cards didn't contain a "Rated Rookie" or "Future Stars" insignia?

He was a highly touted 1st rounder, so it's not like he was sliding under the radar.

I am very disappointed there isn't a 1986 Topps Update XRC. Or part of the 1986 Donruss Rookies set. I also don't like the 1986 Sportsflix. I have the card but choose not to include it because I find them hard to focus. Later Sportsflix sets overcame that obstacle. I like 1997 Screen Plays with display tin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
You didn't even have to search Topps rack packs because the order of cards in them was almost always the same. So even if Mattingly or Strawberry was not on the top, if you saw one of the cards that were typically in front of him, your odds were pretty good in turning one up.

todeen - love the Barry and Donnie rack.
Thanks! it's one of my newest additions, from a Net54 member!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I absolutely love these types of threads when someone shows off their collection of their favorite player.
Yes, there are quite a few threads on Net54 that inspired me. There are a few Twitter accounts that do something similar.

Last edited by todeen; Today at 05:50 PM.