NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 09-13-2024, 04:22 PM

Default Best decisions/biggest regrets as autograph collectors?

I thought of this earlier, an interesting way to share stories. What would you call the best decision or decisions you made as an autograph collector, what big regret(s) do you have? Because I’ve felt both.

My best decisions have to be two of them: I went to the Moeller Show in Cincinnati in November 2022 and added a couple of Sports Illustrateds, as SI is my main collecting focus, but for my 1987 Topps project, I added Tom Browning at that show, and he was gone a month later.

The next one is I went to NBA Crossover in Indy back in February and got two SIs signed - one by Dominque Wilkins, and earlier that day, Bill Walton, who sadly left us on Memorial Day. Both SIs are two of the cornerstones of my collection.

My biggest regret is not starting with SIs sooner. I’d been collecting autographs for about 15 years before I decided to expand and go all in with SIs in July 2019. I had about eight signed before then. I’d gotten many autographs on other items, while people who’d signed other stuff for me had since passed away or their show prices are now higher. I’m around 130, and I’ll be getting more signed soon, but man, I would’ve loved to have started sooner.

Which regret(s)/good decision(s) describe you in this hobby?

Last edited by Topps206; 09-14-2024 at 11:58 AM.
Old 09-13-2024, 04:56 PM

The one regret that comes immediately to mind was being offered the absoulte finest known autographed examples of the '33 Goudey Ruth and Gehrig. The Ruth was $15K, Gehrig $10K. If I could only have predicted the autographed card explosion a handful of years later. Remember, a signed '52 Topps Jackie could have been had for next to nothing at that point. I felt the dealer's prices were too high for that era (and they were), so stupidly passed. I could have turned my $25K into $2.5M.

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 09-13-2024 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09-14-2024, 01:40 AM
Michael

Agree with Billy. Signed cards I need that I passed up for being $2000 or so not that many years back are 10,000+ now and I will never fill those holes in my collection
I am glad I bought that Bowman rookie from Keating maybe 6 years ago for $4000. Alittle paper loss on front but who knows what it would go for now. That was the most I ever spent at that point.
Old 09-14-2024, 05:03 AM

Default autograph regrets

I was at a National in the 1990s in which Wilt and Bill Russell were both
signing. I am a huge Wilt fan, and I passed up both players because the
lines were long and I prioritized looking for cards. Whoops... Trent King
Old 09-14-2024, 07:28 AM
Matt

Regret selling a few of my signed cards about 10-12 years ago when my interests somewhat changed. After waking up to what I truly love in the hobby, I've been back on the signed card hunt for the last 7-8 years and I sure miss my signed '47 Tip Top Berra and Spahn (^^I think Michael has it now^^), and my '52 Topps Mays.

I'm definitely thankful I didn't sell my '51B Mantle and '34G Greenberg.

This thread feels like a therapy session, as it's good to discuss our losses.
Old 09-14-2024, 07:30 AM

Default Best decisions/ biggest regrets

Great thread!

Many of you on net54 may know that I have collected tickets to no-hitter games and perfect games for many decades.
Currently I have tickets to almost 250 different games dating back to 1901.

I also love autographs, but for many years, I was uncertain that I wanted to get the pitchers of these no-hit games to sign their tickets, and instead keep the tickets in original condition. Tough collecting dilemma.

Along the way, I made the decision to get all of the perfect game tickets signed by each pitcher.

When opportunities existed, I chased down no-hit pitchers at Anaheim Stadium, Comerica Park and Jacobs Field and had them sign the tickets to their no-hitters.

I recognized that several no-hitter pitchers passing closed the door on the opportunity to get some of my no-hit tickets signed....
HOF'ers Warren Spahn and Hoyt Wilhelm as well as Lew Burdette come to mind.

A watershed moment occurred in 2006, when MAB Sports in NJ announced the Pitcher Perfect show.
Over 30 pitchers that pitched no-hitters and perfect games would be signing at this show.
The chance to secure so many no-hit autographs in one weekend was too much to pass up, so I flew to NJ and had a great time meeting all these pitchers.

I also became a huge TTM collector and sent letters to many of the no-hit pitchers and asked if they would sign their no-hit ticket.
Amazingly, this worked out very well.
In addition to subsequent shows that featured no-hit autograph signers, I am happy to report that of the 248 different no-hit game tickets in my collection, 174 of these are signed by the pitcher.
40 of these tickets are signed by pitchers that have unfortunately passed over the last 18 years.

Best decisions: Getting the no-hit tickets signed
Biggest regrets: I wish I began this quest sooner, as I missed some opportunities to get some of the older pitchers when I had the chance.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 09-14-2024 at 07:33 AM.
Old 09-14-2024, 10:27 PM
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzoo View Post
Regret selling a few of my signed cards about 10-12 years ago when my interests somewhat changed. After waking up to what I truly love in the hobby, I've been back on the signed card hunt for the last 7-8 years and I sure miss my signed '47 Tip Top Berra and Spahn (^^I think Michael has it now^^), and my '52 Topps Mays.

I'm definitely thankful I didn't sell my '51B Mantle and '34G Greenberg.

This thread feels like a therapy session, as it's good to discuss our losses.
I have the Berra. never had Spahn
Old 09-16-2024, 07:03 AM

Talking

I'm a younger collector, so definitly haven't been doing at as long, but man I wish I found SCF.com for TTM earlier, I could've gotten Kershaw and Trout man! Ah well, at least I can buy them with adult money now.
Old 09-17-2024, 05:45 AM
Vincent Hecksel

Minor regret compared to the wonderful examples shared above, especially as mine is one based on greed, but my biggest regret is not selling my vintage autograph collection sooner. So many times I considered it, and even had my finger on the send key with inquiries to some of the leading vintage dealers at that time. But never could. Guess the desire to pursue the hunt was still alive. Afew years later, finally followed through although taking a significant haircut in sales proceeds. I would imagine many other collectors and dealers alike may have a similar regret regarding a specific item or collection. But otherwise, I have no regret in having sold my collection as it was time to move on, and possibly freed loved ones from having do so in my absence, with absolutely no knowledge of who to approach or what a fair price might be for the collection.
Old 09-17-2024, 08:44 AM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

My biggest regret is not being born, oh, about 70 years earlier, so I could have collected every major issue from Goudey on forward straight out of the packs and had them signed right away.

Other than that, not writing to more of the old-timers when they were still around, and wasting money on a bunch of modern cards when I could have bought a handful of vintage ones. I probably saw Johnny Pesky half a dozen times over the years in Ft. Myers, or at McCoy or Fenway, and never once took him a card from his playing days. I have plenty of cheap photos and posters signed by him, but what I'd give for a 1948 Leaf.

On the other hand, I'm glad I started my signed 1953 Topps project when I did (July 2014) because there were still over 40 players left then who were answering their mail, and corresponding with them was one of the highlights of this project. I don't think I have ever regretted pulling the trigger on a card I needed, either. About a year and a half ago, the most difficult one, Howie Fox came up, and I paid the sticker price, which almost made me sick and I thought it would be a while before I could look at it without cringing. 'A while' ended up being less than two months, because then the second most difficult card (Vern Bickford) came up, and sold for almost twice what I paid for Fox, and suddenly I didn't feel bad any more.
Old 09-17-2024, 09:12 AM

I'm not so sure Bickford ranks as second-toughest, anyway. Yes, an early death, but also a very accommodating signer. I think Hal Rice would be tougher, potentially among others. He was unable to sign the last 40 years of his life after sustaining injuries in a car accident. Bill Norman is another that comes to mind who I'd rank above Bickford. Likely others, but these are two off the top of my head.

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 09-17-2024 at 09:14 AM.
Old 09-18-2024, 07:59 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by HexsHeroes View Post
. A few years later, finally followed through although taking a significant haircut in sales proceeds. I would imagine many other collectors and dealers alike may have a similar regret regarding a specific item or collection.
Huh? What were you selling that you and these other collectors and dealers would have taken such a haircut by not selling earlier. Haven't most things appreciated in value over time?
Old 09-19-2024, 07:10 AM
G@ry Sƈ@m.ҽh.0ɾn

I returned to the hobby after a 15 year break. I spent money on sending in new OMLB to be signed for private signings. The autos came out great, but later (never seeing daylight)...would fade badly Cost of the OMLB ,shipping (to and from), cost of autograph from player...etc then to fade a few years later...easier and way cheaper to buy them. Rinse & repeat for 8x10 photos.

Last edited by GoCubsGo32; 09-19-2024 at 11:59 AM.
Old 09-19-2024, 07:56 AM
Vincent Hecksel

Hank, the majority of my collection was vintage Detroit Tigers ballplayers. So many common, less common, and obscure player autographs. So I immediately limited the interested market to Tigers (although some played for other teams too). Market has continued to be strong for HOFers, especially Ruth, etc. And Hugh Jennings has held up extremely well too. But for comparison sake, I'll reference the tougher 1955 Dodgers I also had in my collection. Bert Hamric, Karl Spooner, Frank Kellert. Generally I found that both selling prices and interest was stronger for those three in 2015-2018 when I was thinking of selling than in 2022 when I did sell. Every once in a great while someone will post in BST some interest in buying 1955 Dodger autographs, but I do feel interest has waned over the years. And I think there are generally less collectors of less/obscure ballplayers now than when I started 25-30 years ago. Perhaps Jody Birkholm would like to weigh in with his experience.
Old 09-19-2024, 09:30 AM

Couldn't agree more regarding the '55 Dodgers. Over the timeframe you reference, there seem to have been more cuts and 3X5s surfacing for the tougher team members and asking prices have been lower, too. I'm holding on to mine as opposed to giving them away. Not sure what happened.
Old 09-19-2024, 10:42 AM
R@ndy Hart.soe

My best and worst involve the same item.

About 20 years ago, I spotted a 1951 Bowman Mickey Mantle rookie graded GAI 2 and with a rookie era autograph offered on Ebay with a $1000 BIN. I knew the autograph was authentic as Mike Guiterrez who authenticated autographs for GAI in the early days had authenticated the autograph.

I assume the seller just thought someone else had written Mantle's name on the front of the card and that was the reason for the low BIN.

So, I won it and got it in a week or so.

I relisted it for $2000 and it immediately sold.

Card has never reappeared on the open market but autographed examples with Mantle's card show era autograph bring $100K in today's environment so a rookie era autograph would obviously be worth more.

Oh well, a thousand dollars profit is still a nice profit but oh what could have been!!
Old 09-20-2024, 09:25 AM

My best and worst decisions are forever paired with this Grover Alexander signed baseball. The ball also featured Babe Didrickson and was signed at a House of David game sometime in the 30s.

I saw on eBay. The auction had an extremely blurry photo but I thought I could make out Alexander on the sweetspot. The description offered no information other than the ball had belonged to the seller's family for quite some time but they didn't know whose signature was on it.

I paid $80. When I got it, I knew I was right about my feeling. I then sold it for $2,000 and have regretted it ever since:

Old 09-23-2024, 12:36 PM
Michael

Worst choice-On 2nd thought from 1965 to 1968 I went to visiting team hotels in NYC and wrote to all living HOFers and stars and wives of deceased HOFers from Smallings books and purchased all other HOFers I ould get that way. Then when I became a hippie in 1969 I sold the whole collection signedd auto books, cards, cuts, yearbooks 3x5's etc to a dealer named Max that some of you remember for $250.
I wish I could even remember all of who I had. I remember Jackie Robinson on Topps cards and a Jimmy Collins but I had 100s if not thousands
Old 09-23-2024, 01:55 PM

I think the pressing question is: have you seen any of the better items resurface in the marketplace over the last 55 years? I'd be particularly interested in if the Jimmy Collins reared its head.

(One thing for people to be extremely careful about is that very early examples of James "Ripper" Collins have a different formation than the autograph he later employed. Signed "James Collins", they have been confused as being HOF Jimmy, even by authenticators.)
Old 09-23-2024, 02:55 PM
+0m J()rd@N

My biggest regrets are mostly centered around autographs that I didn't get, indlucing:
  • Lollygagging before ordering Mickey Mantle auto tickets for a Tuff Stuff show in Richmond in the early 90's. By the time I went to order a couple, they were sold out a couple of weeks before the show. So not only did I not get a Mickey auto that day, I didn't get to meet him f2f.
  • Not wanting paying for Ken Griffey Sr and Bobby Bonds autographs. Both Barry and Jr. were at the Tuff Stuff shows, but you had to get a father/son ticket. Didn't spring for the duo.
  • In the late 1980's, Willie Mays was promoting a local outdoor show and signing free autos. There was no line, no waiting and I got him to sign several items, including a $1 bill. But I didn't get him on any cards, because at that time, it was like 'soiling' the cards to get an autograph on them.
  • And more in general, getting 8x10 glossies signed instead of cards when the chance presented itself.

On the good side, I was able to get quite a few older HoFers in person and TTM before they passed. Ted W, Joe D, Ali, Mays, Hank, Jim B and others.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-3)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 09-23-2024, 03:35 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshleps View Post
Agree with Billy. Signed cards I need that I passed up for being $2000 or so not that many years back are 10,000+ now and I will never fill those holes in my collection I am glad I bought that Bowman rookie from Keating maybe 6 years ago for $4000. Alittle paper loss on front but who knows what it would go for now. That was the most I ever spent at that point.
When I used to set up at shows with Kevin, I felt sorry for him sometimes when he would get almost nonstop and borderline abusive price resistance from collectors and he would spend hours trying to explain to them how rare a lot of this stuff was, how hard if not impossible it would be to replace it in his inventory, and that they should jump at the chance to buy it if they really liked it. Today I doubt there are many guys who paid attention and pulled the trigger who have any regrets about it.
Old 09-23-2024, 03:41 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshleps View Post
Worst choice-On 2nd thought from 1965 to 1968 I went to visiting team hotels in NYC and wrote to all living HOFers and stars and wives of deceased HOFers from Smallings books and purchased all other HOFers I ould get that way. Then when I became a hippie in 1969 I sold the whole collection signedd auto books, cards, cuts, yearbooks 3x5's etc to a dealer named Max that some of you remember for $250. I wish I could even remember all of who I had. I remember Jackie Robinson on Topps cards and a Jimmy Collins but I had 100s if not thousands
"Imagine no possessions, I wonder if you can..." Oops!
Old 09-23-2024, 03:52 PM
Ben North

For me it was getting this extremely rare Promo P4 Diamond version signed by Billy Ripken. This is not the B1 version one found in the comic book. Sadly I can't remember who the amazing fellow member was who made it happen. Over the years I have posted some silly rare 89 Fleer Billy Ripken cards. Because of that the awesome gentleman PMed me and said he was going to an event with Billy and asked if I would like him to get a card signed for me. Not only did he have Billy put my name on it he would not take anything for doing it for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brauto.jpg (75.7 KB, 77 views)

Last edited by bnorth; 09-23-2024 at 04:06 PM.
Old 09-24-2024, 02:10 AM
Jeff Lazarus

Biggest regrets:

1) I was able to get a 1931 US Tour of Japan ball for a great price. The ball had a beautiful Lou Gehrig signature. A few years later, I sold the ball for a $1000 profit. I've sold many items I owned and find that I miss almost none of them. At the top of that short list is this one.

2) A few years back at the Atlantic City Nationals, a dealer randomly asked me if I wanted to buy a Gehrig signed photo. I think it was $2950 or so. It was a great looking piece. I'm not sure whether it was a Type I photo but it was obviously vintage. I passed instinctively as I was thrown off by someone randomly offering me an item. I'd love to have that one.

The positives remain to be seen. I bought a few items with eyes towards players making the Hall of Fame. Still waiting...
Old 09-24-2024, 08:59 AM

I sold a handwritten letter from Bud Fowler to Charles Comiskey in about 2019 for $10,000 thinking "If this guy was ever going to make the Hall of Fame he would already be in." They changed the election rules and he made the Hall of Fame the next year. At least it is on display now at the Negro League Museum so people can enjoy it, but it hurts a bit.