NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-25-2005, 02:07 PM
Administrator

Default T206 "Honus" Wagner PSA 2 on Ebay!

Posted By: Josh

I would think decertifying the serial number is equivalent to theft. At some point in time, someone paid $10-50 to have that card graded/authenticated, with the primary purpose being to add value to the card, which PSA declares is one of their main offerings in their business statement. By decertifying, they have theoretically removed nearly the entire value of their service.

PSA didn't have a leg to stand on in asking for the card to be returned, but the seller is quite the dirty one himself, for refusing to turn the card over, and instead attempting to bilk someone for money that was never entitled to him in the first place.

Old 01-25-2005, 02:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: steve k

Jay - My "screaming tirade" comment was meant to be "private" to you. But since you wanted to name yourself, don't make that pulled thread out to be something in which PSA should be blamed. It was your Magie thing comments and only those comments that got that thread pulled. Come on Jay...you knew the thread was going to get pulled the second that you brought up the Magie thing. And no lemmings here Jay no matter what you might think. Maybe the thread got pulled before you had a chance to read my other post? In my other post I agreed with you on your Magie comment. PSA or any company should be criticized when making poor decisions and the Magie thing was definitely justifiable criticism. The Magie thing was a poor decision on their part, this other thing is simply an error. My point was that PSA in my view did everything they could in this situation with the mislabeled Wagner to rectify the error. PSA used good judgement here and quickly decertified the card so basically that certification number is now worthless.

Old 01-25-2005, 02:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Trae R.

Can't the community just agree to disagree? I realize I'm the 'new-guy' and all, but this arguing stuff doesn't solve anything.

Old 01-25-2005, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

We've had some real donnybrooks here but we all end up tossing back a few at dinner during the National and otherwise making up. There are just a lot of headstrong, sharp people here so we butt heads a lot, but it is 99% of the time in good spirits.

Now, as far as the CU posting goes, what'd we miss? Sounds like a good screed. Anyone have the text that they can post here??

Old 01-25-2005, 03:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

Mike Wentz it's time for you to start another thread and get a another username kicked off the CU boarf.

Steve, You must remember my brother Jay is a dunderhead.

Lee

Old 01-25-2005, 03:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: steve k

Lee - I never met a fellow card collector who I didn't like - and that even includes Jay.

Old 01-25-2005, 04:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred

And here's the punch line - the following email was sent by ebay to bidders of this card:

The following listing:

5159750755 -T206 PSA 2 HONUS WAGNER 1 OF 1

was removed by eBay because a Verified Right Owner (VeRO) Program participant notified eBay that the listing potentially infringes its trademark. We strongly urge you not to complete this transaction.

What a joke. How does this infringe on the PSA trademark? I suppose the VeRO Program is some type of catch-all "save face" and hide your mediocrity loop hole that can be invoked to stop the spreading of the truth. Ebay and psa would rival any pairing of companies vying for the role of corporate "dumb and dumber". It's just unfortunate that we, as the collecting public, have to deal with them. You can say "if you don't like them then just don't use them." But anyone that is interested in this hobby knows how difficult that could be.

Old 01-25-2005, 05:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bottom of the Ninth

States "potentially infringes its trademark". In this case, CU only has to claim they made an error someone is in possession of the error and is using it in a manner that can harm their reputation or subject them to a large liability. And like that the auction is gone. CU has been a member of the VeRO program for several years.

Old 01-25-2005, 07:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Forrest

period.

Old 01-25-2005, 07:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

I think I will agree with Scott Forest on this. Pathetic. Adam, please be careful, you know how truthful and sly Joe Orlando is in court. He chewed you and I up and spit us out!

Old 01-25-2005, 08:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bottom of the Ninth

I did not get to see Joe take the stand but I do know that what I testified to frustrated him and was contradictory to his declaration. It suffices to say that I will not be getting anymore Christmas cards from him.

Old 01-25-2005, 08:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

You were way ahead of me, I never got a Christmas card from him.

Old 01-26-2005, 12:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

PSA is getting off way too easy on this. Just imagine if the owner of this card had come up with a story that he just dropped $25-30k for this card. Would PSA have then been liable for refunding the purchase price since card, at the time, it was a "legit" card in their system?

SGC did the right thing when they took responsiblity for slabbing the bogus Doyle, but does anyone believe PSA would have stepped up and refunded the an unsuspecting buyer his money after trusting PSA to properly autheticate and grade the card?

and spare me the "If you are gonna drop that kind of cash, you should know what you are buying" line. We all know there are far too many people out there with more money than common sense. And isn't this exactly what the slabbers are set up for, to give the average Joe that doesn't have a lot of knowledge the feeling of safety int he knowledge that the slabbed card is what it is purported to be?

Jay

Wow upside down is Mom. Mom upside down is what dad wants to see.