NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 02-12-2012, 07:06 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGT View Post
There are still plenty of novice collectors out there who only look at the numerical grade or have no clue what the Beckett grading scale is all about.
Are you really telling me that they buyers are only looking at the number on the flip, but not looking at the description of the grade which is like 2 millimeters below the number? I just don't buy that. I think they're just stupid.

I keep seeing these phrases like "intent to deceive," "shady as hell" or "preying on begineers" to describe Beckett's business practices. The submitter of the card is getting exactly what they are paying for so I just don't see any of that. They're offering a service which is clearly defined on their website.

It's real simple. If one doesn't like BCCG's system, don't use them.

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 02-12-2012 at 07:08 AM.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:16 AM
Rob
R0bert Ge,ntieu

[QUOTE=vintagetoppsguy;966240]Are you really telling me that they buyers are only looking at the number on the flip, but not looking at the description of the grade which is like 2 millimeters below the number? I just don't buy that. I think they're just stupid.

Yes, I am telling you the number 8 or 10 or 7 is the only thing they are looking at and they don't understand how to interpret the language. How else do you explain someone paying $75 for a Joe Montana RC with centering like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120814396149

That's a $35 card. And yes, they may be stupid. Or are they just NOVICES who do not know any better? Not everyone is as advanced in the realm of card collecting as the people on these boards. Best, Rob

Last edited by RobertGT; 02-12-2012 at 07:19 AM.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:28 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Bob,

I gave my fiancee an engagement ring right before Christmas. I didn't just go to the closest jewelry store to my house and blindly pick one at random. I did a lot of research and homework before buying the diamond because I didn't know anything about them. My point is that any buyer (yes, even bb card buyers) should do their homework before making a purchase they know nothing about.

Go to Google and type the words "BCCG grading." Here is the first thing you will see: "BCCG-graded cards (Beckett Collectors Club Grading) are completely separate and vastly different from the premium BGS- or BVG-graded cards." If any novice spent only 1 minute (60 seconds) to research BCCG, that would tell them all they need to know.

If you want to save these morons from themselves, then that is fine. I admire you for that, but as I and others have said, at the end of the day the responsibility is on THEM, not BCCG.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:42 AM
rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
[B]
I keep seeing these phrases like "intent to deceive," "shady as hell" or "preying on begineers" to describe Beckett's business practices. The submitter of the card is getting exactly what they are paying for so I just don't see any of that. They're offering a service which is clearly defined on their website.
I don't believe Beckett is being dishonest, but I do believe in some of the above examples, the people selling their product are trying to "deceive".

Beckett can offer any service they choose and the consumer can accept it or decline it, but IMO it's a joke.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:06 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default a few things

First of all the top Beckett (grader) guys are advertisers and pretty good personal friends of mine. We all go out to lunch fairly frequently. That being said I have spoken with them at length about their product BCCG. But to start out with, Alan Hagar "invented" the 10 point grading scale, so we can get that bit of trivia out of the way. Secondly, BCCG is in existence mainly for mass merchants that need(ed) a cheaper product to sell in their venues, especially on TV. It has been around for quite some time and it is a part of their business model that they do good with. In this day and age grading companies would be stupid to not do things to increase their profits. I think the only thing they would change is the numbering system, if they had it to do over. Otherwise, the product is a good one for them regardless of what we think. I also don't think it's dishonest or deceitful whatsoever. There's my half cent on it....
Old 02-12-2012, 10:10 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

They found a way to put the number 10 on something that deserves and 8 at best. As I said before, I'm fine with the grades they're assigning. And that's really all that ultimately matters. But the number system is f'ed.. They're intentionally catering to people that just wanna see a 10 on their cards. How many times have we all seen BCCG cards listed as BGS 10 or simply Beckett 10 on the bay? Many sellers have the intent to deceive with these, and ultimately the fault lies with the uninformed buyers. But without this service, sellers wouldn't have this outlet for deception. If there wasn't the intent for corruption of the product, they would simply assign a grade and slab it, without the deceptive numbering.. Basically, I can agree that BCCG isn't out to deceive people, but they intentionally sold a product with the full knowledge that it would be corrupted. And honestly, the corruptible nature of these slabs is a huge selling point.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:30 AM
Rob
R0bert Ge,ntieu

Quote:
Originally Posted by novakjr View Post
They found a way to put the number 10 on something that deserves and 8 at best. As I said before, I'm fine with the grades they're assigning. And that's really all that ultimately matters. But the number system is f'ed.. They're intentionally catering to people that just wanna see a 10 on their cards. How many times have we all seen BCCG cards listed as BGS 10 or simply Beckett 10 on the bay? Many sellers have the intent to deceive with these, and ultimately the fault lies with the uninformed buyers. But without this service, sellers wouldn't have this outlet for deception. If there wasn't the intent for corruption of the product, they would simply assign a grade and slab it, without the deceptive numbering.. Basically, I can agree that BCCG isn't out to deceive people, but they intentionally sold a product with the full knowledge that it would be corrupted. And honestly, the corruptible nature of these slabs is a huge selling point.
+1. Nailed the issue precisely.
My intent was never to issue an indictment of the BCCG grading service, but to explain to the uninitiated how some sellers are using it to sell inferior cards at inflated prices. And many are falling for the trick every day.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:46 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default agreed

Guys, I agree that there are some who will set out to deceive with those cards. We can word it any way we want to but Beckett let the genie out of the bottle several years ago and she won't go back in. As I said, I feel confident that if the execs that are in place today, as opposed to those in place when that whole BCCG thing started were there, the numbering system would be different. I can sort of use the analogy of leaving your keys in your car, unlocked, and having it stolen. It's not your fault someone is a thief but you did enable them to steal. best regards

Last edited by Leon; 02-12-2012 at 12:55 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 02-12-2012, 12:20 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Guys, I agree that there are some who will set out to deceive with those cards. We can word it any way we want to but Beckett let the genie out of the bottle several years ago and she won't go back in. As I said, I feel confident that if the execs that are in place today, as opposed to those in place when that whole BCCG thing started, the numbering would be different. I can sort of use the analogy of leaving your keys in your car, unlocked, and having it stolen. It's not your fault someone is a thief but you did enable them to steal. best regards
The car analogy isn't bad...Although, I'd compare it more to leaving the keys in a borrowed car in the ghetto.

Last edited by novakjr; 02-12-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:13 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
I can agree that BCCG isn't out to deceive people, but they intentionally sold a product with the full knowledge that it would be corrupted.
For decades, scammers have been trimming Topps (or insert another card manufacturer here) baseball cards in order to deceive the buyer into thinking they're getting a card that is of better condition than it actually is (was).

Topps intentionally sells a product with full knowledge that it will be corrupted. Topps is completely at fault as they are enabling the trimmer by continuing to sell their product.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:18 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
For decades, scammers have been trimming Topps (or insert another card manufacturer here) baseball cards in order to deceive the buyer into thinking they're getting a card that is of better condition than it actually is (was).

Topps intentionally sells a product with full knowledge that it will be corrupted. Topps is completely at fault as they are enabling the trimmer by continuing to sell their product.
Another bad analogy. With the Topps cards, a physical action must take place beyond Topps' control, before the deception...With BCCG, no other action is needed. Just straight to the deception.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:26 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Another bad analogy. With the Topps cards, a physical action must take place beyond Topps' control, before the deception...With BCCG, no other action is needed. Just straight to the deception.
Umm, no. Great analogy. Failure by someone to comprehend. Your statement was, "Many sellers have the intent to deceive with these, and ultimately the fault lies with the uninformed buyers. But without this service, sellers wouldn't have this outlet for deception." So yes, there is an action - it's the sellers listing the cards with deceptive titles and/or descriptions. The cards aren't selling themselves are they?