NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 04-01-2020, 07:38 PM

Anyone notice - Saw interesting blip: Mark Cuban won't say if he'll run for President, but notes the "door is wide open." He is young, he is energetic, he is a top businessman, he is a go-getter. Appears he has long range vision for what's honestly best for America. He isn't stuck in the political Democrat vs. Republican thing. Trump, Biden, I just kinda roll my eyes. I would vote for Mark Cuban in a heartbeat.

Now back to original post - Stock market affect cards. Today the DOW got crushed, and probably be even worse by Friday. Weekly unemployment figures come out I think tomorrow - will be really bad. Anyway, I have a few cards up on ebay (1959 Aaron PSA 8, 1965 Aaron PSA 7 & 1970 Ryan PSA 8) that close in couple days and the views/bids/watchers seem quite strong, really curious how they end up, fingers crossed. Will let you know how they do. Anyone else have cards closing last few days or in the next week?
Old 04-01-2020, 07:56 PM
David Peck

There were 25 PSA graded 1982 Wrestling All Stars Series A that sold overnight at strong prices.

I get it people should supposedly not be spending but so far they are.

The market knows this Friday there is going to be 3 million plus apply for unemployment benefits.

100backstroke I sold three of four lots listed Sunday at strong prices and one of the buyers requested another card through EBAY and I sold that card too that I had not planned on at a great price.

I remain convinced people want the cards.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:00 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100backstroke View Post
Anyone notice - Saw interesting blip: Mark Cuban won't say if he'll run for President, but notes the "door is wide open." He is young, he is energetic, he is a top businessman, he is a go-getter. Appears he has long range vision for what's honestly best for America. He isn't stuck in the political Democrat vs. Republican thing. Trump, Biden, I just kinda roll my eyes. I would vote for Mark Cuban in a heartbeat.

Now back to original post - Stock market affect cards. Today the DOW got crushed, and probably be even worse by Friday. Weekly unemployment figures come out I think tomorrow - will be really bad. Anyway, I have a few cards up on ebay (1959 Aaron PSA 8, 1965 Aaron PSA 7 & 1970 Ryan PSA 8) that close in couple days and the views/bids/watchers seem quite strong, really curious how they end up, fingers crossed. Will let you know how they do. Anyone else have cards closing last few days or in the next week?
if everyone knows the market will get crushed why not buy a short in a dow index fund....if so easy....
Old 04-01-2020, 08:02 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjclarke View Post
No opinions her, just numbers for people to consider when gauging our federal response.

January 20-
- US reports first cases
- S Korea reports first cases

March 12
- US has tested 10,058
- S Korea has tested 234,998

March 17
- US has tested 72 per million residents and new infection curve is rapidly trending upward (now agreed by all, including current administration)
- S Korea has tested 5400 per million residents and new infection curve is declining
lets see if we can trade a first round pick to south korea for their leader.....maybe they will throw in a 5th rounder...
Old 04-01-2020, 08:08 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsonjok View Post
That is a nice bit of equivocation. He didn't ever mention the loss of life until it was blatantly obvious that the loss of life will be substantial. There is plenty of ink out there regarding the President's early (non)reactions to the virus. But, here are two of my favorites:
February 26:And again, when you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that’s a pretty good job we’ve done.

I am referring specifically to his pushing of hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin as some kind of miracle cure, when there is absolutely no evidence it works. Hydroxychloroquine is an anti-malarial and azithromycin is an antibiotic. Neither are anti-virals. Now, it is entirely possible that they may work. After all, rogaine started out as a blood pressure medicine. However, there has been no clinical trials and the two most publicized studies of their use have such huge procedural flaws that it is impossible to draw any scientifically sound conclusions from them. And I've heard no responsible doctor or relevant scientist say otherwise.

Come on now. Are you really trying to suggest that Trump was listening to experts all along? I've seen plenty of experts talk about this (I have a friend and a brother-in-law who are both virologists) and all of them were sounding the alarm. Heck, even the political class was sounding the alarm. On February 4, Chris Murphy, a senator from Connecticut said the following: "Just left the Administration briefing on Coronavirus. Bottom line: they aren't taking this seriously enough. Notably, no request for ANY emergency funding, which is a big mistake. Local health systems need supplies, training, screening staff etc. And they need it now."

You'll have to point out for me where I made any comment about anyone political affiliation. Noting gross incompetence isn't political.

Again you are trying to fit a narrative. The pushing of the new drugs were 'what do you have to lose drugs' and by the time he was pushing that he was also talking about loss of human life being a main thing to avoid. So you cant pick and choose a timeline on one issue without correcting the other. Also talk is different then actions. The Easter thing about some parts of the country being open was a thought, perhaps that was against experts advice, but it doesnt look there will be any action on that.

Saying there is gross incompetence is actually political when there a large group that would disagree. Can say there are problems and mistakes but when throwing around all or nothing descriptions, it looks political. Just like saying hes doing the best job ever. That would be political to me as well as a large group would disagree to that .
Old 04-01-2020, 08:14 PM
Shaun Fyffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
CBS News admits 'mistake' after airing footage of overcrowded Italian hospital in report about NYC

https://www.foxnews.com/media/cbs-ne...ually-in-italy

https://www.wcbm.com/2020/04/01/cbs-...ort-about-nyc/

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...ian-hospital-/

https://www.dailywire.com/news/cbs-n...port-about-nyc

Glad to see they admitted it, but you can bet your ass they were called out on it first by many.

Info-tainment, people, because fear/hate sells and it helps their ratings.
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/washington-times/ -- MIXED (below VOX's Mostly Factual Rating)

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/the-daily-wire/ -- MIXED (below VOX's Mostly Factual Rating) - and far right leaning

WCBM is a far right radio wing of Fox News

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/fox-news/ - MIXED (below VOX's Mostly Factual Rating) - and far right leaning

How are you going to call out a VOX link for being infotainment because it has a LEFT bias and then post 4 links to websites with a RIGHT bias, each of which have lower factual ratings than VOX?

Currently seeking Jackie Robinson cards
Old 04-01-2020, 08:15 PM
D@le Irv*n

Continual Trump bashing even during these times. Who said this pandemic had no political agenda? The Dems are using anything and everything they can to paint Trump in a bad light. Shameful, absolutely shameful.

https://twitter.com/TrumpStudents/st...32736%3Fs%3D09
Old 04-01-2020, 08:46 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleyBrown View Post
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/washington-times/ -- MIXED (below VOX's Mostly Factual Rating)

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/the-daily-wire/ -- MIXED (below VOX's Mostly Factual Rating) - and far right leaning

WCBM is a far right radio wing of Fox News

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/fox-news/ - MIXED (below VOX's Mostly Factual Rating) - and far right leaning

How are you going to call out a VOX link for being infotainment because it has a LEFT bias and then post 4 links to websites with a RIGHT bias, each of which have lower factual ratings than VOX?
No, just showing many other news outlets are also covering this story so it is highly unlikely it is made up B.S.

Although the Washington Times has a very strong right editorial bias, they report straight news with a much lower bias.

FOX: however straight news reporting is generally reliable, therefore we rate them Mixed for factual reporting.

Vox: Overall, we rate Vox Left Biased due to wording and story selection that routinely favors the left. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting, rather than High, due to two failed fact checks, with only one offering a correction.

I'll trust/believe the 2 above Vox first but like I also said or alluded to earlier, I am pretty much fed up with anything MSM has to say anymore.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:42 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default Has anyone tried Provasic on the Virus?

This is gonna be Fauci and Trump in another week......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOMMXUc7p0U
Old 04-02-2020, 01:19 AM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
lets see if we can trade a first round pick to south korea for their leader.....maybe they will throw in a 5th rounder...
Or we can just try and learn lessons from them. However this requires humility, a full acceptance others may know better or be smarter, and there are some who do not seem willing to do this.
Old 04-02-2020, 01:43 AM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Continual Trump bashing even during these times. Who said this pandemic had no political agenda? The Dems are using anything and everything they can to paint Trump in a bad light. Shameful, absolutely shameful.
Your comments about "Dems" politicizing this issue are contrary to what I, and I believe several others here have been saying which is not partisan. This is a serious global situation. Simply LISTEN to medical EXPERTS! Learn from past outbreaks. Learn from the countries who are doing it better than we are!!

Also see the example of Democratic Governor Newsom, who whether Jake Tapper could believe it or not, was complimentary to Trump on more than one occasion, while making quick tough decisions in advance of federal guidance to try and slow the spread of this virus in his state. Newsom is far from perfect, going back to his time as mayor in SF, however he's clearly making a deliberate attempt to avoid unnecessary partisan bickering right now.

It would be nice of others would take a similar tact as this does need to transcend partisan politics. It does not seem like you absorb this however when you go right back to "the Dems are attacking Trump narrative", which is painfully circular.

You also bash liberal media. Anyone on the left could then easily counter with Fox's and Hannity's terribly negative coverage of the Stoneman Douglass teenage activists, or Info Wars' attacks on the Sandy Hook families. But what good does any of that do right now? It just further pisses people off during a time we need some unity.

What I observe is that you and some others seem to use the offensive, as a best defensive tactic for what has been an underwhelming executive response thus far. I imagine the inner monologue-- "Oh crap, our guy contradicted himself again, '15 won't be zero by next week', this won’t just ‘dissipate in April when it warms up’, it is not ‘just like the flu’.... errrrr 'it’s a war!’.... yes, we'll call it a war now!!!… and also attack the dems!! And the media!!"

BTW- I do not watch CNN or MSNBC talking heads, I do not watch Fox. I mostly avoid Facebook, totally avoid Twitter, and question things that are forwarded from those sites. I try my best to ID potential slant in a story written or televised, and then ideally extract the most basic facts. It's not possible to fully avoid bias in reporting, especially if they are simply providing bad info, but it's also not too difficult to pick up on their selective wording, deliberate vocal tones, and to try to look beyond. It is also far too cynical (and lazy) to simply believe all those in media/press (MSNBC, CNN or Fox) are slime balls, only concerned with ratings. I think there are many honest and dedicated reporters and producers out there. We just need to work harder to find them, filter out the other noise.
Old 04-02-2020, 06:07 AM
Jeff Carlson

Quote:
Again you are trying to fit a narrative. The pushing of the new drugs were 'what do you have to lose drugs' and by the time he was pushing that he was also talking about loss of human life being a main thing to avoid. So you cant pick and choose a timeline on one issue without correcting the other.
You know, it is possible to hold several thoughts in sequence and, get this, even at the same time. Everything in my previous post, save the mention of gross incompetence, is a verifiable fact. I even provided links for you to see for yourself. If stating what is objectively true is pushing a narrative, then the word fact has no meaning. Though, I have to say this is the first time I've met a nihilist out in the wild.

Quote:
Also talk is different then actions. The Easter thing about some parts of the country being open was a thought, perhaps that was against experts advice, but it doesnt look there will be any action on that.

Saying there is gross incompetence is actually political when there a large group that would disagree.
When you are the President of the United States, words matter. Here is an article talking about the responses of the various states to the outbreak. It is a good jumping off point for determining when the various states put in measures to slow the spread of the disease and the severity of those measures.

To *now* make this political, you may want to look at the states that were slower to respond and have put in the less stringent measures. You'll find something interesting about their party affiliation. Words matter.

Quote:
Can say there are problems and mistakes but when throwing around all or nothing descriptions, it looks political.
As far as your assertion that mistakes were made, that is true. Huge, deadly mistakes were made that went directly against the advise of public health experts. And, yes, experts can be wrong. But, in this case, they were right, and the difference of experiences between the US and South Korea that someone posted about earlier is instructive. John Hopkins maintains an up to date coronavirus website that allows you do drill down into the data. It's interesting to compare and contrast the charts in the lower right hand side for the US and South Korea. It shows what would have been possible if someone here had listened to the experts from the git-go. Korea has experienced 3.3 deaths for every million residents so far and the spread of the disease is slowing. The US has experienced 15.6 deaths per million and the spread of the disease is accelerating. This is all verifiable fact. Expertise matters.
Old 04-02-2020, 06:26 AM
Michael

Quote:
Yes, using the man's OWN words and actions/inactions is absolutely shameful./snark off

I don't know whether it is comforting or disconcerting to know that there are "Loonies" in Canada as well as in the US.
Old 04-02-2020, 06:32 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

p to date coronavirus website that allows you do drill down into the data. It's interesting to compare and contrast the charts in the lower right hand side for the US and South Korea. It shows what would have been possible if someone here had listened to the experts from the git-go. Korea has experienced 3.3 deaths for every million residents so far and the spread of the disease is slowing. The US has experienced 15.6 deaths per million and the spread of the disease is accelerating. This is all verifiable fact. Expertise matters.[/QUOTE]

So lets say s. korea does the best but USA is 2nd best of all countries in the world in regards to the objective numbers, does that make it gross incompetence? The buffalo bills went to 4 super bowls and lost them all but they were far from the worst team in those years..
Old 04-02-2020, 06:36 AM

Obviously I'm not going to change your mind, but take a story like this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...a4e_story.html

Trump is ripping off the taxpayers by overcharging the Secret Service for hotel rooms at his properties. That money goes into his pocket.

Now, is your position that this information is false? It's based on official government documents, so if it's false, either the Secret Service is lying or the Post is forging documents. Do you have any reason to believe that's true?

Or is it your position that they shouldn't report a story like this at all? If not, why not? It's easy to pick out a couple of things that the media has gotten wrong, but then to suggest that everything else they report on is also wrong, or lies, doesn't make any sense. It's like saying "Well, they say that guy is a great surgeon, but one or two of his patients die every year."

So I guess I don't understand what you mean by "fake news" other than "they report stories that make Trump look bad."

Oh, and also, the last election was in 2018 and the Democrats won that one.

Ted

Quote:
It blows me away what people will believe anymore. So many fake news outlets out there nowadays, one can only view them as Info-tainment and nothing more.

Main stream media (MSM) is the same way, all out to influence and brainwash your mind.

CNN, MSNB, NY Times, the list goes on and on. All out to get Trump like a bunch of petulant children who are still struggling with the fact the Dems lost the last election.
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/vox/

These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy.

Last edited by gawaintheknight; 04-02-2020 at 06:37 AM.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:06 AM
Jeff Carlson

Quote:

So lets say s. korea does the best but USA is 2nd best of all countries in the world in regards to the objective numbers, does that make it gross incompetence?
A 5x difference in death rates between #1 and #2 would certainly lend credence to the words of a great philosopher that "If you're not first, your last." But, if you want to make the case that the American response is the second best, have at it. I'd be interested in seeing that.

Quote:
The buffalo bills went to 4 super bowls and lost them all but they were far from the worst team in those years..
Ouch. You really know how to hit a guy where it hurts. I was a Bills fan for years and those 4 straight losses hurt. Badly.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:24 AM
Michael

Quote:
I just saw this, and it is truly shameful.

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/antho...101124851.html
Old 04-02-2020, 07:35 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Guess the half the board will be getting infractions!

"Acting weird " but be worse than political arguements

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 04-02-2020, 08:37 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinMike View Post
Yes, using the man's OWN words and actions/inactions is absolutely shameful./snark off

I don't know whether it is comforting or disconcerting to know that there are "Loonies" in Canada as well as in the US.
Lets blame Trump for his actions/in-actions.

Oops!

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B-dGINug9bh/?

utm_source=ig_embedhttps://www.instagram.com/tv/B-dGINu...ource=ig_embed
Old 04-02-2020, 09:23 AM
Guy Bourque

No Politics in this post, Wishing all my American Neighbors to be safe!!!!

Last edited by guy3050; 04-02-2020 at 09:26 AM.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:28 AM
Tony Colacino

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy3050 View Post
No Politics in this post, Wishing all my American Neighbors to be safe!!!!
And wishing my not-so-far away Canadian neighbor to North good health and safety!
Old 04-02-2020, 10:52 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

The stock market may help cards in that if you buy CLCT now at 15 dollars and change...you can net a nice profit later on....
Old 04-02-2020, 10:59 AM
Patr1ck Mu111N5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gawaintheknight View Post
This won't be a popular attitude here, but Hillary would absolutely have been, if not great (I don't know what that would mean in this context), a lot better.
You are 100% correct. Hillary would have handled this pandemic a lot better than Trump has because Republicans would have supported her as President, whereas democrats will not support Trump.
Old 04-02-2020, 11:11 AM
Shaun Fyffe

Quote:
Lets blame Trump for his actions/in-actions.

Oops!

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B-dGINug9bh/?

utm_source=ig_embedhttps://www.instagram.com/tv/B-dGINu...ource=ig_embed
Are you seriously posting an instagram tv link from a Russian-based account profile? Why? Do you not question the junk you see on social media?

Old 04-02-2020, 11:19 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Are you seriously posting an instagram tv link from a Russian-based account profile? Why? Do you not question the junk you see on social media?
Are you saying the people/voices in that vid are fake? Russian based. LMAO. Nice try though.
Old 04-02-2020, 11:24 AM
Jeff Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by MULLINS5 View Post
You are 100% correct. Hillary would have handled this pandemic a lot better than Trump has because Republicans would have supported her as President, whereas democrats will not support Trump.
That assertion is, to put it as diplomatically as I can, ahistorical. Compare and contrast the voting history on the 2009 Great Recession stimulus with that of the contemporary COVID-19 stimulus.

Someone already did.

Last edited by carlsonjok; 04-02-2020 at 11:29 AM.
Old 04-02-2020, 11:52 AM
Shaun Fyffe

Quote:
Are you saying the people/voices in that vid are fake? Russian based. LMAO. Nice try though.
No, but the video used very short clips of each person to manipulate the message instead of weighing the context of what was being said. A modicum of critical thought would have one question the clips and see what the actual message of each person was. It doesn't matter if it's clips from Trump, Biden, McConnell, Schumer or whoever else... those instagram accounts use those clips like that because they cause an emotional reaction. They are used to manipulate, which is why I questioned you using a post from a Russian Instagram account while dismissing a verified media publication like Vox.

Last edited by CharleyBrown; 04-02-2020 at 11:53 AM.
Old 04-02-2020, 12:18 PM

Quote:
No, but the video used very short clips of each person to manipulate the message instead of weighing the context of what was being said. A modicum of critical thought would have one question the clips and see what the actual message of each person was. It doesn't matter if it's clips from Trump, Biden, McConnell, Schumer or whoever else... those instagram accounts use those clips like that because they cause an emotional reaction. They are used to manipulate, which is why I questioned you using a post from a Russian Instagram account while dismissing a verified media publication like Vox.
This is a golden opportunity for you to show at least one of those sound clips was taken out of context by showing the longer clip and facts showing that it is misleading. I’ll wait patiently.
Old 04-02-2020, 12:19 PM

Nice try, but I'm old enough to remember the Obama administration and that's not how it went at all. I'm also old enough to remember the 2016 election when Republicans were talking about impeaching her the day after she was sworn in.

Ted

Quote:
Old 04-02-2020, 12:29 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Putting aside moral debate, for the economy's sake itself you have to fix the coronas problem before the economy will rebound. If people are dying and scared to go to work and go the store, co-workers are getting the disease, the medical system is overloaded with patients, the economy will be damaged and sick even if everyone is allowed to go to work and mingle in society.

Thus, I think the "Let everyone go back to work and social life to save the economy" is an incorrect economic argument anyway.

Last edited by drcy; 04-02-2020 at 12:33 PM.
Old 04-02-2020, 12:44 PM
Todd Schultz

"This is a pandemic. I felt it was a pandemic long before it was called a pandemic," Trump said at a press conference with his coronavirus task force. "All you had to do was look at other countries."

OK, then why did you hold rallies on January 9, 14, 28 and 30; February 10, 19, 20, 21 and 28? Nine rallies in 50 days, for a "candidate" who is unopposed. Nine separate dates and places you gathered 10,000 or whatever people standing shoulder to shoulder at a time when you now admit a highly contagious disease was on its way, and as of January 20, was confirmed to be here. Spouting how the democrats and media were blowing it out of proportion to make you look bad--and now you tell us 200,000 could very well die, maybe more. Telling governors that you're not a shipping clerk,and letting them bid against each other, other countries and even FEMA for supplies--that great old free market system on display.

The Divided States of America--led by the greatest patriot to ever take a breath, and who surely can do no wrong--just ask him.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 04-02-2020, 12:55 PM
Jason S!m@nds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman View Post
This is a golden opportunity for you to show at least one of those sound clips was taken out of context by showing the longer clip and facts showing that it is misleading. I’ll wait patiently.
The very first clip is dated February 2nd - when there were 8 confirmed cases in the country. The press conference took place in China Town to celebrate the Lunar New Year and address reports of discrimination towards Asian-Americans. I could not find the complete press conference, but below is the Press Release from the event: https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/about/...ronavirus.page

“We are continuing to work closely with our partners at the CDC, State and federal government as the coronavirus situation evolves,” said Health Commissioner Dr. Oxiris Barbot. “If you have traveled to the area affected by the outbreak in the last 14 days and feel unwell, call your doctor or visit a clinic, and you will be cared for. Also, practice everyday precautions like you would during flu season — wash your hands frequently, and cover your mouth and nose when you sneeze. We remain grateful to all New Yorkers for their cooperation.”

If the implication from the highly edited video clip was that New York Health Officials weren't taking the matter seriously at the time, I would disagree.

This is the problem with fake news, edited videos and biased sources.
Old 04-02-2020, 01:22 PM
Shaun Fyffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman View Post
Sure. The Nancy Pelosi comment on MSNBC was in San Francisco's Chinatown on February 24 outside the Golden Gate Fortune Cookie Factory. Her comments were not about the virus, specifically, but to discourage people from avoiding Chinatown. At the time, there were no known cases in Chinatown. In her speech to local business owners in the area, she acknowledged that there was concern that the U.S. would not be adequately prepared due to the $1.3 billion dollar cut to the CDC.

Her comments came 4 days before Donald Trump declared the coronavirus: "The Democrat's new hoax"... and approximately 2 weeks before Trump told Sean Hannity on March 4 that the flu was a bigger threat to public health than covid-19.

That said, the DeBlasio comments were moronic - he's done a pretty poor job handling this situation... I think most NYers, democrat or republican would agree to that.

The Bernie Sanders comment about not closing down the borders did not provide any context as to what he said. He said we should be listening to the scientists for the appropriate approach instead of using the virus to vilify immigrants.

Dr. Barbot's comments were all from early February (the first on Feb. 2). If you read anything about her response, the dept. of health was concerned about a late-season spike of flu that was popping up in NYC. NYC or anywhere in the U.S. for that matter had tests for covid-19, so there was no way to determine whether or not it had arrived in the U.S. Her comments were, like Pelosi's, to discourage avoiding Chinese-owned businesses.

Like I said... those videos are meant to manipulate. I don't care if they are targeting only Democrats or targeting only Republicans. They target one side and blast it out to their audience, not giving the full context of the statements. It's designed to drum up the emotions of the people viewing it, which leads to them using videos like this one to justify their hatred of the other side.

Ask yourself... Why didn't the video also show Republicans downplaying the virus?

Like Devin Nunes?

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/it...mic-2020-03-15

Brian Kemp?

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/...d-coronavirus/

Richard Burr?

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/coro...r-and-sen-burr

Kelly Loeffler?

https://twitter.com/KLoeffler/status...686595073?s=20

https://twitter.com/SenatorLoeffler/...19751905267714

How about this guy calling Fauci "the enemy"?

https://twitter.com/mitchellvii/stat...846090756?s=21

Old 04-02-2020, 01:27 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Anyone else think Chris Cuomo is faking it?

I have not heard the guy cough once.

I cough taking a sh-t.

This guy "has the Virus" yet talks an hour straight without so much as a cough or sneeze. 3 days in a row since he's "had it."
Old 04-02-2020, 01:34 PM
Shaun Fyffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post

I cough taking a sh-t.

This guy "has the Virus" yet talks an hour straight without so much as a cough or sneeze. 3 days in a row since he's "had it."
No and I hope you aren't serious with this comment.

Last edited by CharleyBrown; 04-02-2020 at 01:35 PM.
Old 04-02-2020, 01:36 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:

I cough taking a sh-t.

Then you've got a lot of coughing ahead of you, because you're completely full of shit.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 04-02-2020, 01:39 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporal Lance Boil View Post
And wishing my not-so-far away Canadian neighbor to North good health and safety!
+1 to all our Canadian members, I have had great interactions with many of them including Dale. Stay safe and happy collecting.
Old 04-02-2020, 02:13 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
Then you've got a lot of coughing ahead of you, because you're completely full of shit.
the tribe has spoken
Old 04-02-2020, 02:49 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:

I cough taking a sh-t.

Quote:
the tribe has spoken
3 of the 4 Brooklyn Nets, including Kevin Durant were asymptomatic when they tested positive. Did you miss this?? Or the fact that it’s been reported throughout that many may have it and not know, thus are at greater threat of spreading it to be people who can least afford to contract it?

There’s a reason I’m not going to visit my 83 year old dad or 80 year old mom right now.

Btw- are you still calling for all to go back to work now, or before Easter? Or is it now a “war” and people should now stay inside?

Last edited by itjclarke; 04-02-2020 at 02:51 PM.
Old 04-02-2020, 02:59 PM
I@n Cl@rke

To the folks who think the GOP would have been supportive of Hillary, I think Mitch McConnell would strongly beg to differ. 2010 on, he openly boasted about blocking Obama legislation, and a Supreme Court nominee. Let’s please not forget that.

Let’s also not forget a circa 2010 rallying cry against ACA was to save grandma from the death panels. Curious where those party “family values” have gone when grandma is now just in overtime or extra innings.
Old 04-02-2020, 04:59 PM
Todd Schultz

Default Fwiw

Step outta line, the man come, and take you away:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/02/polit...ved/index.html

Last edited by nolemmings; 04-02-2020 at 05:00 PM.
Old 04-02-2020, 05:27 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjclarke View Post
3 of the 4 Brooklyn Nets, including Kevin Durant were asymptomatic when they tested positive. Did you miss this?? Or the fact that it’s been reported throughout that many may have it and not know, thus are at greater threat of spreading it to be people who can least afford to contract it?

There’s a reason I’m not going to visit my 83 year old dad or 80 year old mom right now.

Btw- are you still calling for all to go back to work now, or before Easter? Or is it now a “war” and people should now stay inside?
1st I don't follow basketball, when did the Nets move to Brooklyn.....ah skip it, I don't care.

As for back to work before Easter, never said that, I said "soon". Still feel that way, very soon. President said April 30, I'm good with that. He and his team are doing an outstanding job, so I'm good with their decisions so far. He always has one eye on the economy, unlike Hillary who would not have, but she lost so thank God we don't have that nightmare going on now.

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 04-02-2020 at 07:45 PM.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:28 PM

Quote:
President and his team are doing an outstanding job, so I'm good with their decisions so far. He always has one eye on the economy, unlike Hillary would not have, but she lost so thank God we don't have that nightmare going on now.
I hope Shoeless Moe lives in a battleground state .
Old 04-02-2020, 07:38 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

I do like Jared Polis (CO) & Andrew Cuomo (NY)

...............................................eve n if his brother might be faking.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:52 PM
Patr1ck Mu111N5

Quote:
Nice try, but I'm old enough to remember the Obama administration and that's not how it went at all. I'm also old enough to remember the 2016 election when Republicans were talking about impeaching her the day after she was sworn in.

Ted
I hope you are old enough to remember eleven years ago.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:54 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
1st I don't follow basketball, when did the Nets move to Brooklyn.....ah skip it, I don't care.

As for back to work before Easter, never said that, I said "soon". Still feel that way, very soon. President said April 30, I'm good with that. He and his team are doing an outstanding job, so I'm good with their decisions so far. He always has one eye on the economy, unlike Hillary who would not have, but she lost so thank God we don't have that nightmare going on now.
My point is not about basketball but you seem a little dense, hopefully that's all part of your shtick and not real. If 75% of this one group which tested positive did not feel symptoms, then maybe several others out there are also positive but asymptomatic.. and then maybe a guy who's positive won't cough for you on camera. If he coughed, you'd call him out for faking it anyway. Maybe there's also even more merit to keeping people distanced like Anthony Fauci (by far the smartest and most experienced of Trump's "team") has been saying since this began, and then for heeding his advice for as long as they feel is necessary.

I hope, but highly doubt we will have normality by April 30, since the models show the virus's spread to be gaining momentum not slowing. Once the curve does flatten or ideally goes down, you'll probably need to add at least a 2-3 weeks of additional "shelter in place" to better ensure we do not allow it to reverse course and come back. April 30 is just an arbitrary date, which effectively buys more time for them to further asses and reassess a dynamic situation. Regardless, by then I'm guessing your POV will mirror whatever the Pres has decided to tweet or say in press conferences, as it has over the past few weeks. "it's like the flu, people die from the flu" and "it will blow over".. oh no, now "it's a war", but "it's no one's fault". Like needing directions but getting--- Keep walking straight... stop! turn around... no turn left.. turn right.. jump!

Would be nice if people would try stay of the much steadier course that has been recommended by people who've dedicated their entire professional lives to medicine and to preparing for situations like this. Thankfully Trump has at least one on his team.

BTW-- some old guy in overtime just survived the virus! Looks like he's now made it into double, maybe even triple overtime. This guy is an actual vet, who's generation helped win WWII, allowing you to puff your chest out about how America beat those Japs. I don't suspect you'll ever back track and admit you care about these old folks in overtime, but hope you at least appreciate that he was actually there to help win the war you so often seem to reference.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a9441956.html
Old 04-02-2020, 11:18 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
Step outta line, the man come, and take you away:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/02/polit...ved/index.html
Crazy story, and only a day after the secretary of defense downplayed the request, and said they would not need to quarantine. Will be interesting to see how this story plays out (and how it’s reported by different outlets)
Old 04-03-2020, 05:55 AM

Well, I can remember ten years ago:

The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president.

-Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, quoted in National Journal, November 4, 2010

Ted

Quote:
Old 04-03-2020, 06:01 AM
Jeff Carlson

Quote:
I do.

McConnell “wanted everyone to hold the fort,” one Republican senator, George Voinovich of Ohio, later told the journalist Michael Grunwald in his book The New New Deal: The Hidden Story of Change in the Obama Era. “All he cared about was making sure Obama could never have a clean victory.”

In the House, where the stimulus bill would ultimately pass without a single Republican vote, Representative Mike Pence of Indiana, then chair of the GOP conference, claimed that "the Democrat bill won't stimulate anything but more government and more debt.” The stimulus bill would ultimately pass the Senate with three Republican votes. “Yesterday the Senate cast one of the most expensive votes in history,” McConnell said. “Americans are wondering how we’re going to pay for all this.”
From here.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:45 AM
Scott
Scott All.en

Quote:
Well, I can remember ten years ago:

The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president.

-Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, quoted in National Journal, November 4, 2010

Ted

Is your name really Ted Knight? That's cool, I loved you in Caddyshack, but what's the point of these political posts? You, like others, seem very passionate, but you don't actually think you're going to change anyone's mind about anything political do you? Those days are long gone.

There sure is a lot of spittin' in the wind going on here.

To the original topic at hand - I would be curious how a guy like Greg Morris is doing on ebay. He seems really honest and he sells lots of "regular" cards. I would think his sales would be a good barometer of how things are going today and in the future.

Last edited by SAllen2556; 04-03-2020 at 10:08 AM.