NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-18-2007, 05:03 PM
Administrator

Default Barroid, er, Barry Bonds indicted

Posted By: JimCrandell

Well, I will leave the legal debate to Peter and Jeff. Peter--just curious--what is your legal specialty?

To get back to Dan's comment, there will be well over 100 players ultimately implicated in this and probably well i9nto the hundreds. I await the Mitchell report with anticipation

Old 11-18-2007, 06:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Jim,

I do plaintiff's side real estate litigation in the Bay Area. You can't make a fortune practicing in this area but it is virtually recession-proof. Actually, when money is tight more real estate partnerships fall apart and there's more litigation.

Jeff,

Maybe I just don't like the idea of being in jail...but BB going to prison for a year sounds like a long time to me.

Peter C.

Old 11-18-2007, 07:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: James Gallo

I have been out of town so I haven't had any time to get on here, however I felt I needed to voice an opinion on this.

First off I can't imagine how anyone could compare the "crimes" of ty cobb vs bonds. Cobb was a mean SOB who obviously acted in a way that would not be acceptable today, however he doesn't live in todays' world. The fact of the matter is that 75+ years ago the world was very different, the laws were very different, and how people viewed things like racism, aggressiveness and all the other crap Cobb was known for has GREATLY changed.

I really don't think people thought of Cobb in the same negative way we think about Bonds, Sosa, McGwire and the rest even when he was elected into the hall of fame.

As such there is just no way to compare the two. Just because cobb got in doesn't mean Bonds will. The fact of the matter is believe it or not the writers made a statement by not putting McGwire in on the first ballot.

If Bonds is found guilty he will not make it into the hall at all. As is even if he gets off it will be tough IMO.

If we had a commissioner with even a tiny set he would have taken action of this years ago but all we have is a weak figure head, which is a shame.

Also if bonds is found guilty and then let into that hall you would be forced to let in the likes of rose, the black sox and plenty of other dead ball era guys that are being kept out for "legal" reasons.

If your not going to compare players stats from different era's then I think it is equally unfair to try and compare their crimes.

As for the legal end of things, I don't have a clue, but if the federal government has another OJ it could be a huge problem and iI don't think they would have gone forward if they didn't really think they had an overwhelming amount of information that even a local jury would convict him.

Personally when going threw jurors I would just eliminate any that know of barry and baseball. Believe it or not there are people that don't know or care about barry or baseball and might not have an opinion either way, yes even in SF.

James Gallo

Looking for 1915 Cracker Jacks and 1909-11 American Caramel E90-1.

Old 11-18-2007, 07:24 PM
Administrator

James,

McGwire and Bonds are not comparable players. Bonds had 7 MVPs to McGwire's none. Even without the steroid allegations McGwire was not a first round Hall of Famer.

Although Rafael Palmeiro isn't a player that's really comparable to Bonds, his success or failure with Hall of Fame voters will say more about what happens to Bonds when his turn comes up.

Peter C.

Old 11-18-2007, 07:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Bond's denial of knowledge is silly on its face. If you thought you were using only flaxseed and baby powder, wouldn't you wonder why your head doubled in size? You don't have to be a biochemist to figure out that rubbing flaxseed oil to your arm isn't supposed the enlarge your head.

Old 11-18-2007, 08:58 PM
Administrator

David,

And I thought Barry's head was getting bigger because he was approaching the HR record. LOL. But seriously, I don't like the idea of Barry being singled out for exclusion from the Hall. If all ballplayers who were strongly suspected of steroid use were barred from the Hall, I would go for that standard. But then that rule would include people like Roger Clemens, Rafael Palmeiro, and a couple of others.

Peter C.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill

I read in recent news apparently, they have drugs tests they found with the name Barry B on them (found it on mlb.com i think). they were positive. so if guilty, this will be a very very big time in baseball history.... no to mention all the ppl who have spent thousands on barry bonds items to be worth nothing after lol

Old 11-19-2007, 05:06 PM
Administrator

Bill,

No big deal, BB would simply be in the same boat as Palmeiro. Prices of BB's cards have already dropped about 25% here in the Bay Area. Could be time to buy if you have a little extra cash lying around.

Peter C.