NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-30-2021, 03:57 PM
R0b Sm!th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Phil, wonder if the CJ Alexander was so strong because many thought it was his rookie card, when we know it is the T222 with that great pitching pose. The Speaker was also gangbusters. What a terrific card.
What am I missing? Weren’t his T222 and CJ both issued in 1914?
Old 08-30-2021, 04:47 PM
Ton.y Be.ll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
The Alexander is a tough card especially in good condition and a key card in the set, I think there were a couple of set builders that needed that card.
+1
Agreed the 1914 CJ Alexander will always be a tough card and carry a significant premium lots of collectors would like to add one to their collections

Collecting:
1909-1911 T206 Southern Leaguers (Alabama)
1914 Cracker Jack Set (91 out of 145)
Old 08-30-2021, 04:48 PM
Ton.y Be.ll

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsmithnocure View Post
What am I missing? Weren’t his T222 and CJ both issued in 1914?
Yes both are 1914 cards...Old Pete made his MLB debut in 1911

I know he has Tom Barker/National Game cards from 1913 also

The 1914 CJ will always bring strong prices in any grade

Collecting:
1909-1911 T206 Southern Leaguers (Alabama)
1914 Cracker Jack Set (91 out of 145)

Last edited by Kidnapped18; 08-30-2021 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-31-2021, 07:49 AM

Default V351

If anyone here won the lot of V351 Canadian Goudey Premiums I would be very interested in purchasing a couple of the common players. Have a few high grade examples to offer in trade as well - including Dean and V DiMaggio. Please shoot me a PM.
Old 08-31-2021, 08:01 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianclat11 View Post
Nice Adam!
Two things you should never mention on a first date are Star Trek and baseball card collecting. Found that out the hard way...

Spock is the patron saint of Aspergers folks like me and my daughter.

On one occasion my wife (who is neurotypical) was in a snit and blurted out that living with my daughter and me is like living with two Vulcans. My daughter said "She's highly illogical. Why did you marry her?" I replied "It seemed like the logical thing to do at the time." My wife was not amused...Humans, am I right?

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 08-31-2021 at 08:03 AM.
Old 08-31-2021, 08:26 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhibitman View Post
two things you should never mention on a first date are star trek and baseball card collecting. Found that out the hard way...

Spock is the patron saint of aspergers folks like me and my daughter.

On one occasion my wife (who is neurotypical) was in a snit and blurted out that living with my daughter and me is like living with two vulcans. My daughter said "she's highly illogical. Why did you marry her?" i replied "it seemed like the logical thing to do at the time." my wife was not amused...humans, am i right?
To True and To Funny

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1917-20 Felix Mendelssohn Babe Ruth
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph

Last edited by mrreality68; 08-31-2021 at 08:27 AM.
Old 08-31-2021, 10:11 AM
Dan Studebaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
On one occasion my wife (who is neurotypical) was in a snit and blurted out that living with my daughter and me is like living with two Vulcans. My daughter said "She's highly illogical. Why did you marry her?" I replied "It seemed like the logical thing to do at the time." My wife was not amused...Humans, am I right?
Excellent. And congrats on the Cobb and Joss!
Old 08-31-2021, 10:23 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Two things you should never mention on a first date are Star Trek and baseball card collecting. Found that out the hard way...
I would add The Three Stooges to that list. Still waiting to meet a female fan.

And if you delve into music, Devo is another that can quickly kill a first date.

Last edited by perezfan; 08-31-2021 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-31-2021, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnaz01 View Post
Super happy to have won this!!
Gorgeous item. I am friends with the artist and her husband here in Vancouver.

I won 2 lots - the pair of 1942 WS tickets and the 1926 game 3 WS ticket.

Last edited by ballparks; 08-31-2021 at 11:47 AM.
Old 08-31-2021, 01:51 PM
Dan=iel Enri.ght

Quote:

Great Story and Telling!
Old 08-31-2021, 01:57 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:

At my brother's wedding, I concluded my toast with "live long and prosper," to mixed reviews.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-31-2021, 02:19 PM
Todd Schultz

I remember long ago when I was trying my hand at fixing the garbage disposal and my then wife and very little girl were growing impatient. Paraphrasing Scotty I pulled out my best brogue and said " I can't change the laws of physics, I've got to have twenty minutes". The wife's eyes rolled and the daughter looked genuinely concerned about me.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 08-31-2021, 03:08 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

Seeing those Star Trek cards just opened up another rabbit hole for me. Beautiful cards. Speaking of rabbit holes, I picked up the 48 Leaf lot on LOTG.
Old 08-31-2021, 03:08 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Dan: thanks. Two big wants off my want list.

Peter: At a friend's wedding the court of which I was part were all sci fi geeks and we ended the ceremony with a Klingon salute. That crowd loved it.

Todd: I often have the same experience with my wife when I quote the wisdom of Spock, Kirk or Scotty. Speaking of brogues, when fixing something I always go with the Brogan Adjustment. Our super in the apartment building where I grew up was Irish and had a heavy shoe with his tools. When something didn't quite fit he'd hammer it with his shoe (brogan) a few times and knock it into place. He told me it was a Brogan Adjustment. My wife is a native Californian and had never heard of that I guess, so the first time I pulled off my shoe and whacked a piece of IKEA furniture into square while doing my best Irish brogue she had quite a laugh.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 08-31-2021 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-31-2021, 03:09 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter08 View Post
I picked up the 48 Leaf lot on LOTG.
Yes, young Jedi. Welcome to the Dark Side...

Or not...
Old 08-31-2021, 03:13 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
I remember long ago when I was trying my hand at fixing the garbage disposal and my then wife and very little girl were growing impatient. Paraphrasing Scotty I pulled out my best brogue and said " I can't change the laws of physics, I've got to have twenty minutes". The wife's eyes rolled and the daughter looked genuinely concerned about me.
When we were in college one of the many get-rich-quick schemes we dreamed up (but never did) was a doorbell that, when pushed, would have Bones' voice saying "Dammit, I'm a doctor, not a doorbell..."
Old 08-31-2021, 03:27 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
When we were in college one of the many get-rich-quick schemes we dreamed up (but never did) was a doorbell that, when pushed, would have Bones' voice saying "Dammit, I'm a doctor, not a doorbell..."
LOL. One of my favorites along those lines was I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer.

And... here is my Kirk and Spock card.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shatnernimoy.jpg (51.1 KB, 549 views)

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-31-2021, 05:01 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
My best story along those lines happened with a date at the movies watching "Monty Python and the Holy Grail." She sat stone-faced through most of it while I was flailing around in my seat with laughter, then announced during the "Black Knight" scene that she was leaving. If she hadn't also been a friend and co-worker, I probably would have just let her go. "None shall pass!" indeed. Had a similar experience watching "Dr. Strangelove" with a lady, who didn't see the humor in a single second of it. Good lessons in how different from one another we can be in our perceptions and tastes.
Old 08-31-2021, 05:11 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
I would add The Three Stooges to that list. Still waiting to meet a female fan. And if you delve into music, Devo is another that can quickly kill a first date.
You can add Bob Dylan--the GOAT in my book--to that list. Near-universal scorn from the ladies in my experience, and rightly so if you are listening to the words.
I doubt many guys are big fans of Alanis Morissette, either.
Old 08-31-2021, 05:21 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
Brilliant!
Old 08-31-2021, 05:22 PM
Nath.aniel Gr.ow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
You can add Bob Dylan--the GOAT in my book--to that list. Near-universal scorn from the ladies in my experience, and rightly so if you are listening to the words.
My wife is actually a huge Dylan fan. So they're out there.
Old 08-31-2021, 06:17 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
I'd happily see Alanis Morissette any night of the week live over Bob Dylan. She just played in NJ to rave reviews. Dylan is great live if you want to hear 2.5 hours of a guy "singing" through his nose with his back turned to the audience.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 08-31-2021 at 06:19 PM.
Old 08-31-2021, 06:36 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
No woman is capable of understanding Steely Dan.

Old 08-31-2021, 06:58 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I think everyone woman understands a Steely Dan....lol
Old 08-31-2021, 09:07 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
And that's why you go with Ozzy and Sabbath! Remember Ozzfest well.
Old 08-31-2021, 09:32 PM
Peter Spaeth

The great thing about Steely Dan was that often their lyrics didn't make much sense -- inside references or Fagan riffing on nothing -- yet somehow they made perfect sense. Same with the (IMO) very underrated folk rock group America.

Old 08-31-2021, 09:42 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
This was my other pickup and my first Christy card for my collection
Congrats! I'm still waiting for my first Matty. I have a T202 end piece, but I'm not considering that a real card for inventory purposes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 08-31-2021, 09:45 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete zouras View Post
but ended up with just one--t207 speaker
Congrats, that's one I need still for my Speaker collection.

Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 09-01-2021, 03:44 AM
John Wondowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandgold View Post
Small potatoes compared to most of the pickups here, but he was my favorite player when I was a kid, and it’s my first Venezuelan Topps.
Attachment 476246

Awesome card!
Old 09-01-2021, 02:08 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I'd happily see Alanis Morissette any night of the week live over Bob Dylan. She just played in NJ to rave reviews. Dylan is great live if you want to hear 2.5 hours of a guy "singing" through his nose with his back turned to the audience.
Ditto. She rocks.

Or not...
Old 09-01-2021, 02:34 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
Congrats! I'm still waiting for my first Matty. I have a T202 end piece, but I'm not considering that a real card for inventory purposes.

I would consider that a real card. And A nice looking card also

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1917-20 Felix Mendelssohn Babe Ruth
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 09-01-2021, 04:48 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
I would consider that a real card. And A nice looking card also
Yes, it's nice looking. But in my mind I'd like a full card and not 1/3 of a card.

Old 09-01-2021, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
Yes, it's nice looking. But in my mind I'd like a full card and not 1/3 of a card.

I vote for T202 end panels being a full card, because that is what the collective cutters/rippers of the panels considered them to be 100 years ago or so.

Just for fun, here is a thread I started almost a decade ago about these cards:

https://net54baseball.com/showthread...light=t202+end

Brian
Old 09-01-2021, 05:30 PM
Albert Bee

Default auction

grabbed everything I could this time
Old 09-02-2021, 10:08 AM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Happy to add this 1921 New York Giants Polo Grounds Season Pass...Only missing one World Series ticket in my collection (1920-2020), so I grabbed this to serve as the 1921 example until I find a good one in auction.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image0 (2).jpg (20.4 KB, 347 views)
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 09-02-2021, 10:13 AM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
I vote for T202 end panels being a full card, because that is what the collective cutters/rippers of the panels considered them to be 100 years ago or so.

Just for fun, here is a thread I started almost a decade ago about these cards:

https://net54baseball.com/showthread...light=t202+end

Brian
I did not know that!

Old 09-02-2021, 04:56 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrow9 View Post
My wife is actually a huge Dylan fan. So they're out there.
Smart gal, and yes, there are plenty out there, as well as tons of guys who like Alanis, as evidenced above.

Last edited by Hankphenom; 09-02-2021 at 04:56 PM.
Old 09-02-2021, 05:23 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
It's been ten years since I've seen Bob live, but did see him many times over the years, and your description has nothing in common with any of the shows I was at. Fabulous bands that always rocked the house like crazy doing the best catalog of songs of anybody ever, is more like it. He might turn his back on occasion to communicate something to his band, but otherwise he was always front and center and would engage the audience when he felt like it. His damaged voice has been cringeworthy for some time now, and he might not have ever been to your taste, but I'll take his version of any of his classic songs over even the best cover versions by other artists. I'm sure Alanis is great to see, but you'd have to go back to the 1980s to catch Dylan at her age now, so that comparison is hardly apt. And I'm guessing she would be the first to discourage any attempt at comparison of the two of them in terms of musical stature or historical significance.
Old 09-02-2021, 05:41 PM
Ken

After many years of great Dylan concerts, I hit a patch where the voice got to the point that I gave up going. But my daughter in law had never seen him live and I went again about three years ago to find that he was in surprisingly good voice. Maybe the recent years of covering Sinatra and similar crooners helped him regain some of his groove.

Anyway, I am in the Dylan is the GOAT category and I like Alanis Morisette too.
Old 09-02-2021, 06:08 PM
Peter Spaeth

I am a huge Dylan fan, but what is the category if he is the GOAT?

Two of his "rookie" cards below btw. Took me many years to find.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dylanage.jpg (27.8 KB, 295 views)
File Type: jpg dylansamo.jpg (76.3 KB, 305 views)

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-02-2021 at 06:10 PM.
Old 09-03-2021, 09:19 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Bob Dylan is, and will always remain, the Poet Laureate of my generation.
Old 09-03-2021, 09:58 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
I am a huge Dylan fan, but what is the category if he is the GOAT? Two of his "rookie" cards below btw. Took me many years to find.
The category would be musical artists. What's the story on that card? That might be the best picture of Bob I've ever seen, probably by Michael Ochs, his more or less "official" photographer in the early days.
Old 09-03-2021, 10:03 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Bob Dylan is, and will always remain, the Poet Laureate of my generation.
It's my opinion that with the passage of time his writing will be compared favorably to Shakespeare's. And then you have the music thrown in--all those fabulous tunes, and he is grotesquely underrated as a guitar and harp player.
Old 09-03-2021, 10:08 AM
Mac Wubben

So basically our mutual love of Bob Dylan brought my wife and I together...and the first time she came over to my place, she spent a half hour looking at my baseball cards...I guess I win ;-)
Old 09-03-2021, 10:14 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by obcmac View Post
So basically our mutual love of Bob Dylan brought my wife and I together...and the first time she came over to my place, she spent a half hour looking at my baseball cards...I guess I win ;-)
That's great. Imagine how many thousands of relationships and marriages began with meeting at one of Bob's concerts over these 60 years?
Old 09-03-2021, 10:35 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
The category would be musical artists. What's the story on that card? That might be the best picture of Bob I've ever seen, probably by Michael Ochs, his more or less "official" photographer in the early days.
French cards from 1964 or possibly 1965.

Old 09-03-2021, 10:40 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
It's my opinion that with the passage of time his writing will be compared favorably to Shakespeare's. And then you have the music thrown in--all those fabulous tunes, and he is grotesquely underrated as a guitar and harp player.
At least during the 60s and 70s he was also a great singer. A number of great singers did not have good voices, and vice versa.

Old 09-03-2021, 04:42 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
At least during the 60s and 70s he was also a great singer. A number of great singers did not have good voices, and vice versa.
The way I think of it is this: who else would you want singing those great songs? The answer is: nobody else.
Old 09-03-2021, 04:43 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
French cards from 1964 or possibly 1965.
Tres cool!
Old 09-03-2021, 04:58 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
The way I think of it is this: who else would you want singing those great songs? The answer is: nobody else.
He wrote a few songs that I think only Baez actually recorded/performed, like Love is Just a Four Letter Word.