NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 07-11-2011, 09:23 AM
CoreyRS.hanus

The guy feels good about what he did, yet he's being criticized for it. How does the saying go-no good deed goes unpunished. Yes, I get it; the Yankees and Jeter are blood suckers out for the last buck any way they can get it. So all of us then are to stoop to that level. That's fine and I'd certainly be the last person to criticize anybody for doing that. In fact, I am so incensed about what tickets/parking/hot dogs/you-name-it cost that had I been in that fan's position I question whether I would have been so magnanimous. But he choose to take a different path, the high road I might call it. And I think he should be commended for it. Who knows, maybe the example he sets might encourage others to reciprocate in kind.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:27 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Corey, no one is really criticizing the kid. What he's doing is really stellar; it's the Yankees (and all of MLB) which have turned a kids game into the money-obsessed machine it has become. Even in the days of skin-flint owners they still permitted real doubleheaders which cost them a day's gate receipts. Now? They don't exist anymore due to greed. I just think that the idea of giving the kid a few signed jerseys is sort of laughable when you see how the Yankees will fleece their fans by selling them $30 hats emblazoned with "DJ3K" on them. Why can't decency be a two-way street? For once?

Last edited by calvindog; 07-11-2011 at 09:28 AM.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:40 AM
Barry Sloate

Jeter should have done what Maris did- refuse to accept the ball and tell the kid to sell it and make his life a little easier. I heard he has 100K in student loans he hasn't yet paid back. That's a lot of debt for a kid in his twenties. Yes, he did a very nice thing and we shouldn't criticize him. I blame Jeter for taking it for nothing.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:27 AM
Matt Hall

That kid probably can't even afford the taxes on the "generous gift" the yankees gave him. They are scumbags, IMO, they did take advantage of hero worship... I think there may be a little hero worship on this board too.

Edit: I'd like to add that Jeter already had his 3000 hit bat and jersey. He didn't need to take the ball from that penniless kid, he should be embarrassed... I know I would.

Last edited by Matthew H; 07-11-2011 at 10:33 AM.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:26 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

A few observations:

I don't think it is a "high road" to give Jeter the ball. My feeling is that the fan--a young guy with debts just starting out in life--is a schmuck for handing over a very valuable windfall to a multi-millionaire celeb rather than taking the money and getting a leg up in his life. His decision to give it away for a pittance makes him a fool, not a role model. That said, I don't think he was taken advantage of to the degree that some suggest. The guy went through a rugby scrum to get the ball and was whisked away by security so the team could lean on him to give it up. Unless he is a complete pinhead [which is possible] he had to know that the ball was very valuable. He wasn't coerced, he made a deal.

As for Jeter, I don't feel he is getting a fair shake from either side in the discussion. While I don't condemn Jeter for not writing a check unsolicited, I also don't lionize him simply because his public persona isn't that of an avaricious, nasty pig. I agree that Maris did the right thing in 1961, and that it would have been nice for Jeter to make a heavy financial gesture to the fan, but we don't know what went on behind closed doors. For all we know a check was offered and rejected. I think we assume the worst because of history. This is the era of grab what you can get, everyone for themselves, all business all the time, and Jeter has never been other than a creature of his era. He sells his signature for big money that he doesn't even really need rather than, say, signing stacks of photos and responding to fan mail with free autographs, ransoms the team for as much money as he can, etc. It only seems natural that he'd act like that in every other facet of his business life.

As for the Yankees, again, my feelings are mixed. The Yankees realized the value of the item and gave the kid something expensive in return, but it didn't cost them squat. Now, if the Yankees also gross up the items to pay the poor bastard's income taxes on the ticket package, that would be more impressive than handing over some empty seats for the rest of the season.

I also have to point out that what many here assume that Jeter and the Yankees did is exactly what I do every day at the National and as often as I can on Ebay and auctions, which is try to make the best deal I can on something I want. Taking down a mischaracterized item on Ebay for a pittance or getting a rare variation for a common price because the seller didn't know what he was selling is the same idea, just on a different scale. If I'd pulled off a trade like the one Jeter made I'd post it here and be congratulated on the great deal.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 07-11-2011 at 11:32 AM.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:46 PM
Brock

I'm sorry, I love all you guys and were all great help in our hobby. But this is a joke what you guys are saying. Say the guy asked for $25000 and jetted paid. Would he still have ripped this guy off. No because jeter pretty much paid what the guys wishes were. Why should he have to offer more when it wasn't asked for?
Old 07-11-2011, 04:03 PM

The only joke is how this fan was treated.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:13 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Brock, I received an email from Steiner today with about 398 different "Jeter 3000 hit" items for sale, all ridiculously priced. The Yankees and Jeter have no respect for themselves or their fans with such BS. Why do they expect it from the fan?
Old 07-11-2011, 10:08 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Corey, no one is really criticizing the kid. What he's doing is really stellar; it's the Yankees (and all of MLB) which have turned a kids game into the money-obsessed machine it has become. Even in the days of skin-flint owners they still permitted real doubleheaders which cost them a day's gate receipts. Now? They don't exist anymore due to greed. I just think that the idea of giving the kid a few signed jerseys is sort of laughable when you see how the Yankees will fleece their fans by selling them $30 hats emblazoned with "DJ3K" on them. Why can't decency be a two-way street? For once?
The Yankees will charge what the market will accept...pure capitalism. Don't be mad because Yankee fans are stupid. And yeah, while I think the gesture by that kid was noble, I think he's rather stupid for not fleecing the Yankees right back. If I'd caught that ball it'd be on the auction block right now.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:32 AM
Brock

So David, say there was an item on ebay that you wanted to buy and it was listed at $1,200. But you knew it was worth $2,000. So you bought it at $1,200, aren't you technically ripping that seller off then. I'm sure you've bought a item under market value. Now you can't say that the seller came up with the price so it's not ripping him off. The guy came up with the price that you wanted nothing for the ball.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:58 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

It looks like he's going to get his own Topps baseball card, a 2009 WS ring, and I'm sure people from the board with be happy with, at least 25K from Steiner Sports! Link
Old 07-13-2011, 02:33 PM
CoreyRS.hanus

Wouldn't it be a nice postscript to the story if, at the end of the day, enough people come forward to reward the kid for his action that he ends up getting more than he would have if he had auctioned the item? Maybe there is a moral to this story?
Old 07-13-2011, 03:00 PM

Who'da thunk it? Even Steiner has more class than Jeter or the Yankees!
Old 07-13-2011, 03:59 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Well, Steiner and Miller are doing it for PR purposes but I agree, at least they're doing something. And it's not like the Yankees would be doing anything for the kid for reasons other than good PR. Pitiful.

PS -- On my radio show on Saturday I'm going to discuss this issue: did the Yankees and Jeter handle the kid correctly? 10-noon EST on 970 AM in NYC or www.am970theapple.com. At least I'll get some intelligent callers on the issue instead of Ruth from the Bronx who I have to hang up a lot on because she's nuts.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
It looks like he's going to get his own Topps baseball card, a 2009 WS ring, and I'm sure people from the board with be happy with, at least 25K from Steiner Sports! Link
Modells has also kicked in $25 K. The story is getting better all the time...
Old 07-13-2011, 10:02 PM
Matt Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Modells has also kicked in $25 K. The story is getting better all the time...
Has Jeter kicked in yet?
Old 07-14-2011, 06:29 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Well, Steiner and Miller are doing it for PR purposes but I agree, at least they're doing something. And it's not like the Yankees would be doing anything for the kid for reasons other than good PR. Pitiful.

PS -- On my radio show on Saturday I'm going to discuss this issue: did the Yankees and Jeter handle the kid correctly? 10-noon EST on 970 AM in NYC or www.am970theapple.com. At least I'll get some intelligent callers on the issue instead of Ruth from the Bronx who I have to hang up a lot on because she's nuts.
+1
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 07-14-2011, 10:48 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew H View Post
Has Jeter kicked in yet?
Now that's funny!

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 07-15-2011, 02:45 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Brandon Steiner will be a guest on my show tomorrow from 10--noon EST on 970 AM in NYC and www.AM970theApple.com. This should be interesting.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:55 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Brandon Steiner will be a guest on my show tomorrow from 10--noon EST on 970 AM in NYC and www.AM970theApple.com. This should be interesting.
Do you podcast the show?