NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-13-2011, 09:44 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagecpa View Post
Thanks for the help Christopher. Attaching pictures has never been my specialty.
You're welcome, Mike.

My point in showing both of those auctions was that someone in this thread had already pointed to the tampered label on that "1924 Yankees" signed baseball cube and yet the seller decided to list it again before researching if there is a problem.

I may be in the minority, but I have no sympathy for this seller. I do hope that the person who perpetuated this fraud is caught and penalized, but at this point we have no idea who that person is.

Last edited by thetruthisoutthere; 11-13-2011 at 10:18 AM.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:16 AM
Mich.ael We.ntz

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Kenny- I think the reason the Jackson was brought to a coin dealer was for exactly that reason: that you would have less expertise than a baseball card dealer, who would spot the fake more easily.
Given the proliferation of Chinese PCGS counterfeits onto the coin market several years ago, I would think that coin dealers would be MORE vigilant at inspecting holders and flips that your typical baseball card enthusiast.

http://www.pcgs.com/Articles/Detail/5286
http://coins.about.com/od/coingradin...-PCGS-Slab.htm
http://forums.collectors.com/message...hreadid=647774
Old 11-13-2011, 10:44 AM
M!ke S@il£r

I think what concerns me the most is this mornings auction. I try to put myself in the sellers shoes. If I had just found out on Saturday that 2 or 3 of my expensive baseball cards were most likely reprints in fake PSA holders, I don't think I would be listing an $8k baseball on my Sunday morning without doing a ton of research. The ball might be legit, but you can't ignore the sticker.

Last edited by vintagecpa; 11-13-2011 at 10:52 AM.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:43 PM
David Str@@te

I'm just not convinced by the seller either. It seems to me equally probable that a person might:

Try a pilot scam with a few low dollar cards, see that it works, and put your feedback to work by simultaneously listing three huge profit items: Jackson, Mantle, and Ruth. When your cover is blown by a relatively obscure message board, create a handle, say all the right things, and wait for the dust to settle.

I just don't believe you buy that Jax if your business is coins and you "don't know much about cards"

EG "John, I know you collect and sell cards, but I've got an opportunity for you. This is one of the toughest and most valuable coins in the hobby. I've just gotta get it off my hands. If you put down 5K on it right now, you'll probably double your money tomorrow on Ebay". If you where John, what would you say?!

This isn't to say that honest sellers don't get duped, but scammers always have alibi when they get uncovered, and it usually starts with "I don't know anything about it".
Old 11-14-2011, 06:10 PM
Jim
Ja.mes Merm.igis

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstraate View Post
I'm just not convinced by the seller either. It seems to me equally probable that a person might:

Try a pilot scam with a few low dollar cards, see that it works, and put your feedback to work by simultaneously listing three huge profit items: Jackson, Mantle, and Ruth. When your cover is blown by a relatively obscure message board, create a handle, say all the right things, and wait for the dust to settle.

I just don't believe you buy that Jax if your business is coins and you "don't know much about cards"

EG "John, I know you collect and sell cards, but I've got an opportunity for you. This is one of the toughest and most valuable coins in the hobby. I've just gotta get it off my hands. If you put down 5K on it right now, you'll probably double your money tomorrow on Ebay". If you where John, what would you say?!

This isn't to say that honest sellers don't get duped, but scammers always have alibi when they get uncovered, and it usually starts with "I don't know anything about it".
+1
Old 12-11-2013, 03:06 PM
Kenny Marthe

Default Hoping for some help

I know this is an old thread, but I was hoping to get some help from the community. A couple of years ago, I was listing some baseball cards, namely a Joe Jackson, and a Mickey Mantle rookie on ebay. It was brought to my attention that these were fakes, and I had several conversations with people on this forum pertaining to these cards. I no longer work for the company that listed these. The problem is...the owner continues to list fake items on his Ebay. Currently, there are at least three baseballs that are autographed, 1948 Indians ball, Joe DiMaggio ball with COA by Sports Collectors Inc., and Mickey Mantle ball, all of which I am 99% sure are not authentic. The Mickey Mantle ball was viewed by JSA and said to be not authentic. The owner believes that if he has a return policy on these items, that he is ok to sell them, however, they are still not real. Would someone on here look at the items and give your opinion and ideas to get these unlisted?
Old 12-11-2013, 07:35 PM

One of the auctions in question:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MICKEY-MANTL...item2c7879141d