NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-20-2015, 10:19 AM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

If you shill your own cards you get to be pete rose!
Old 07-20-2015, 11:34 AM
Br.ent !ngr@m
Br.ent Ing@am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econteachert205 View Post
If you shill your own cards you get to be pete rose!

I think they should deny ever shilling for 20 years, before qualifying for such a lofty position.
Monster Number 520/520
Old 07-20-2015, 01:06 PM
Rich Klein

And for those who want to remember a great Net 54 poster. He has a booth at the 2015 National:

Marshall Barkman 1 Syndicate Shady Grove PA 807P

Regards
Rich
Old 07-21-2015, 10:54 AM
Ed McCollum

Default Don't know if this should really be in another thread or not

but John (Wonkaticket) and Paul (t206collector) have the two collections I would most want to see in person. The cards both of them have posted have always looked spectacular and quite often, cards in person look even better than scans. Besides that, through email conversations, both seem to be great guys. Maybe someday.
Old 07-21-2015, 11:53 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckInOmaha View Post
but John (Wonkaticket) and Paul (t206collector) have the two collections I would most want to see in person. The cards both of them have posted have always looked spectacular and quite often, cards in person look even better than scans. Besides that, through email conversations, both seem to be great guys. Maybe someday.
Ed, if ever in PA you're welcome to come to see as my wife says all the old junk.
Old 07-22-2015, 02:26 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksabet View Post
This might be the single dumbest thread ever

This may be the single dumbest post ever. Obviously it brought you in to make a pointless post.

Sorry for this thread, if you think it's dumb, why bother reading it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-22-2015, 02:49 PM
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by familytoad View Post
RIP Bruce, the only collector who could get around the rule of not voting for yourself...while simultaneously voting for himself
Archive would have voted him in if it wasn't for the law suit.
Old 07-22-2015, 03:01 PM

Default actually....

I thought it was a pretty cool thread........I was thinking on starting a thread of who you think is a "super collector" of certain issues.....i.e. Paul t206collector for auto ed T206 ect ect....
Old 07-22-2015, 07:36 PM
K!ya S@bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvster View Post
I thought it was a pretty cool thread........I was thinking on starting a thread of who you think is a "super collector" of certain issues.....i.e. Paul t206collector for auto ed T206 ect ect....
Your idea is very different than this.

Listen, to each there own. I was feeling that this is the type of thread that pretty much makes this feel like a good ol boys club and is pretty exclusive and divisive.

I realize there is a big group of people here who all know each other and like to interact but I enjoy this site even though I don't know most people personally, and frankly I am okay with that, but a newcomer will quickly feel like they have no place if these are the threads we feed.

In an era where we seem to be mightily concerned with the future of our hobby we need to be careful not to ostracize and eliminate interest from those who don't fit into a super narrow category of mega-high-end-collections.

Last edited by ksabet; 07-22-2015 at 07:37 PM.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:50 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:

Listen, to each there own. I was feeling that this is the type of thread that pretty much makes this feel like a good ol boys club and is pretty exclusive and divisive.

I realize there is a big group of people here who all know each other and like to interact but I enjoy this site even though I don't know most people personally, and frankly I am okay with that, but a newcomer will quickly feel like they have no place if these are the threads we feed.

In an era where we seem to be mightily concerned with the future of our hobby we need to be careful not to ostracize and eliminate interest from those who don't fit into a super narrow category of mega-high-end-collections.

And all this time i thought one had to be a pompous arse to join the Board.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed from 2012 to 2024.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:51 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Default Net54 Hall of Fame

Quote:

Of course it's exclusive! It's the individual(s) that best represent our hobby! Are you not going to search baseball history if you just got interested in the game itself? What do you think the HOF is? Are you not going to look at past All-time Greats because they are too good and made the Legends Club? Are you not going to like the game anymore because it's biased on performance rather than character?

If anything, new comers should welcome a thread like this. A thread of this type gets to showcase different cards, and sets that you never imagined! I am learning and seeing new cards every time a post happens here. But, I guess that's not what the hobby wants by looking to the past cards.

Do you collect modern cards? Where do you think they get their designs for the best sets they offer!?

New collectors can see a thread like this and want to go after the Monster, 33/34 Goudey, '52 Topps etc. etc.

Do new collectors not want to learn about the beauty and glory these older cards have to offer, especially with all the shiny modern crap you see advertised at every ball park?

I understand your concern and respect it, but I disagree with you, I think you're far from being correct and it's not even close.

Maybe we should stop with the monthly pick up threads, right? Because after all, those separate the "clubs" you mentioned. $10k+ cards and $2 cards are listed, and they are welcomed across the board!

Like I said, if you don't like the thread/topic, DON'T OPEN IT! Geez

Last edited by HOF Auto Rookies; 07-22-2015 at 07:56 PM.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:51 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
And all this time i thought one had to be a pompous arse to join the Board.

Ooooooooh Frank

Old 07-22-2015, 08:01 PM
K!ya S@bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF Auto Rookies View Post
Of course it's exclusive! It's the individual(s) that best represent our hobby! Are you not going to search baseball history if you just got interested in the game itself? What do you think the HOF is? Are you not going to look at past All-time Greats because they are too good and made the Legends Club? Are you not going to like the game anymore because it's biased on performance rather than character?

If anything, new comers should welcome a thread like this. A thread of this type gets to showcase different cards, and sets that you never imagined! I am learning and seeing new cards every time a post happens here. But, I guess that's not what the hobby wants by looking to the past cards.

Do you collect modern cards? Where do you think they get their designs for the best sets they offer!?

New collectors can see a thread like this and want to go after the Monster, 33/34 Goudey, '52 Topps etc. etc.

Do new collectors not want to learn about the beauty and glory these older cards have to offer, especially with all the shiny modern crap you see advertised at every ball park?

I understand your concern and respect it, but I disagree with you, I think you're far from being correct and it's not even close.

Maybe we should stop with the monthly pick up threads, right? Because after all, those separate the "clubs" you mentioned. $10k+ cards and $2 cards are listed, and they are welcomed across the board!

Like I said, if you don't like the thread/topic, DON'T OPEN IT! Geez

Celebrate the cards not the people. Brother obviously I offended you. This wasn't about you. I care about the hobby. That little brown stuff on your nose doesn't mean much to me. Maybe you should start a penis size thread too. Although I will be on the low end of that one as well.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:02 PM
K!ya S@bet

Quote:
Ooooooooh Frank

Edited: not worth it

Last edited by ksabet; 07-22-2015 at 08:05 PM.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:11 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Default Net54 Hall of Fame

Quote:
Celebrate the cards not the people. Brother obviously I offended you. This wasn't about you. I care about the hobby. That little brown stuff on your nose doesn't mean much to me. Maybe you should start a penis size thread too. Although I will be on the low end of that one as well.

Wow, you're too full of yourself. Are we not celebrating cards that people own? If it weren't for the collectors, we wouldn't see the cards ever! The collectors don't have to show us their cards, especially the ones where there are only a few examples, so personally, I and thousands of others appreciate that they share their cards. After all, about the cards right?

Brown stuff? Really...How? I'll just say it, you're a complete idiot. Oh goly gee, I sure need to brown nose people on a forum where people hide behind computers so people like me.

Grow up "brother", like I said, if you don't like a thread, don't f@!^ing read it! How difficult is that?

Lol amazing.

Last edited by HOF Auto Rookies; 07-22-2015 at 08:12 PM.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:12 PM
K!ya S@bet

Quote:
Wow, you're too full of yourself. Are we not celebrating cards that people own? If it weren't for the collectors, we wouldn't see the cards ever! The collectors don't have to show us their cards, especially the ones where there are only a few examples.

Brown stuff? Really...How? I'll just say it, you're a complete idiot (sorry Leon). Oh goly gee, I sure need to brown nose people on a forum where people hide behind computers so people like me.

Grow up "brother", like I said, if you don't like a thread, don't f@!^ing read it! How difficult is that?

Lol amazing.

Whats truly amazing is how fast someone you don't know gets under your skin brother

shoot... edited to add: brother

Last edited by ksabet; 07-22-2015 at 08:15 PM.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:13 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Whats truly amazing is how fast someone you don't know gets under your skin

Nooooo, I could care less about someone like you.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:16 PM
K!ya S@bet

Quote:
Nooooo, I could care less about someone like you.

Obviously...your posts speak well to that.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:24 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Obviously...your posts speak well to that.

No, sorry. My post speaks about how you're wrong, again. Doesn't matter who said it, I would have said the same reply to anyone.

I was clearly defending/explaining the point of my thread, which clearly still boggles your mind.

The main point? If you don't like a thread or if there is a thread that doesn't interest you, why open it? You never answered.

Have a good night, I'm done with this part of the thread.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:25 PM
K!ya S@bet

Quote:
No, sorry. My post speaks about how you're wrong, again. Doesn't matter who said it, I would have said the same reply to anyone.

I was clearly defending/explaining the point of my thread, which clearly still boggles your mind.

The main point? If you don't like a thread or if there is a thread that doesn't interest you, why open it? You never answered.

Have a good night, I'm done with this part of the thread.

Last word
Old 07-22-2015, 09:00 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:

I would respectfully disagree. If you look over my short but in no way complete list of collectors who I personally admire. I think you will find a wide selection of collectors who span every nuance of this hobby. These range from yes significant collectors with significant means. To the everyday collector. If you feel that mentioning people one admires for their achievements, their commitment or contributions to the hobby big or small is some way an elitist endeavor. All because some folks who may be mentioned may have more than others, well you'll have bigger issues in life than a list on a card forum.

In fact quite the opposite. I think you would find that many of the above people are some of the most humble and genuine people one could ever hope to meet. The last thing any of them would want is for anyone to "feel left out." that I'm pretty sure of.

Cheers,

John

P.S. The only real downfall to a thread like this is that so many amazing collectors and collections are not known about, or those collectors don't give a rat's you know what about Net54. So in the end the list will be not 100%....

Last edited by wonkaticket; 07-22-2015 at 09:05 PM.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:10 PM
Peter Spaeth

Dorskind was always posting lists like these. Maybe that's why it feels elitist to identify "top collections" in the OP's words. Understood he did not intend it that way.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:17 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Dorskind was always posting lists like these. Maybe that's why it feels elitist to identify "top collections" in the OP's words. Understood he did not intend it that way.
I don't need to address you Peter you're just one of the great unwashed peasants aren't you?

Bruce's lists we're self serving to say the least, however I agree the OP didn't have the "we" mentality in mind when he fired this up. Just a little naďve well-intentioned post IMO.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:24 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkaticket View Post
I don't need to address you Peter you're just one of the great unwashed peasants aren't you?

Bruce's lists we're self serving to say the least, however I agree the OP didn't have the "we" mentality in mind when he fired this up. Just a little naďve well-intentioned post IMO.
I am flattered to have attained even that status.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:44 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I am flattered to have attained even that status.
LOL, you crack me up Peter. Too funny.
Old 07-23-2015, 06:28 PM
Phil Garry

Not sure why my efforts are not recognized as some others are, maybe it's because I have chosen to study and collect non-mainstream items such as Baseball Hall of Fame rookie cards and Negro League Baseball memorabilia rather than T206's and '52 Topps Mantle cards. Oh well, I am proud of my contributions to the hobby, in the end, that's all that really matters.
Old 07-23-2015, 06:33 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb View Post
Not sure why my efforts are not recognized as some others are, maybe it's because I have chosen to study and collect non-mainstream items such as Baseball Hall of Fame rookie cards and Negro League Baseball memorabilia rather than T206's and '52 Topps Mantle cards. Oh well, I am proud of my contributions to the hobby, in the end, that's all that really matters.
Maybe in 2016 Phil.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for all you do, Phil.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:07 PM
Aa.ron Pa.tton
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob d. View Post
thanks for all you do, phil.
lmao.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:24 PM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
And No. 3 is factually incorrect, too, in regard to "single greatest signed T206 collection in existence."
I'm just happy to be included in the discussion. I would love to know who has more or better ones. Certainly the total absence of a signed Cobb in my collection leaves a gaping hole that many others - yes, he signed many - have filled. Morey's old Lajoie also comes to mind. Would love to know where they all ran off to. It's a damn shame they are not shared with other collectors who can truly enjoy them without having to own them. I understand privacy, security, blah blah. But, it would be nice to see them.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 07-23-2015, 07:45 PM

Default Rob.....

who cares if it's not "factually #1" on any rankings......Paul's collection is SICK

Last edited by mrvster; 07-23-2015 at 07:46 PM.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:48 PM
Paul

Quote:
who cares if it's not "factually #1" on any rankings......Paul's collection is SICK
You and I share a love for niche collecting T206s, to keep them unique and personal to us. Thanks for the kudos.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 07-23-2015, 07:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Given what I read in many of your posts, Johnny, I don't expect you to care at all whether a statement is factually correct.

The OP wrote the "single greatest signed T206 collection in existence" when, in fact, it is not. My response wasn't a knock on Paul's collection, it was merely correcting a factual mistake.

Again, I understand why that wouldn't interest you.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbvLajoie1910 View Post
lmao.
+1
Old 07-23-2015, 07:55 PM

Default Paul....

I have always admired your focus ! and niche collecting.....easy to "stray" some times I absolutely love your collection, and id even hate to call them an "investment" but they are! a blue chip collection, and basically a piece of true history....

you deserve all the kudos ! come to AC next year! I want you to witness the circus my friend
Old 07-26-2015, 05:52 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Maybe no one likes you.

Just kidding.

Or am I?

Anyway, what does it matter? In the end the only one you have to impress is yourself.

Well, yourself and the Baseball Card Annies at the National. Because chicks like guys with big card collections.

What happens at the National stays at the National.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 07-26-2015 at 05:53 PM.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:15 PM
J0$H B^ck!ey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7nohitter View Post
I hate to brag, but I am the proud owner of a COMPLETE 1988 Fleer set.

COMPLETE.
You've got my vote !!!
22/39 Unique Backs 56%
80/86 Minors 93%
25/48 Southern Leaguers 52%
6/10 Billy Sullivan back run 60%

237PSA / 94 SGC / 98 RAW

Excel spreadsheets only $5
T3, T201, T202, T204, T205, T206, T207, 1914 CJ, 1915 CJ, Topps 1952-1979, and more!!!!

Checklists sold (20)

T205 8/208 3.8%
Old 07-26-2015, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Maybe no one likes you.

Just kidding.

Or am I?

Anyway, what does it matter? In the end the only one you have to impress is yourself.

Well, yourself and the Baseball Card Annies at the National. Because chicks like guys with big card collections.

Clearly, one of the best senses of humor on the Board (Adam).

I haven't attended the National for several years but having a tough time remembering the groupies. Starting to get psyched for Atlantic City.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:17 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Maybe no one likes you.

Just kidding.

Or am I?

Old 07-27-2015, 08:43 AM
Al Richter

Default # 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshchisox08 View Post
You've got my vote !!!
You are too easy Josh. He still has not posted any proof