NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-30-2017, 12:44 PM
j.oe b.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjohnsonsoxfan View Post
Jon great snags! Love the Cobb and Wags. And Sam excellent centered 2.5 Anson. If all 2.5's looked like that I'd be fine with my whole collection in that grade.

Wondering if anyone here bid on this Ruth 144? Was top for most of the auction and then someone outbid late so I had to decide to set a vcp record or walk away. ugh. Wish I hadn't had all those beers during the WS game. :-)
Congrats on the Ruth. That could be the nicest 3 I've ever seen.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:55 PM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by invest View Post
Well,

It took me 4 years but was finally able to get my 1951-52 Parkhurst Gordie Howe PSA 6. I was also trying for the 1907 Ty Cobb Fielding Dietsche but just came up short. Maybe next year

Troy
Well done. And a nice card. I missed out on several hockey lots I was interested in, including the 1936 Broda.

I came in second on a few. Kinda like how I tend to play poker.
Old 10-30-2017, 04:01 PM
Guy Bourque

My first ever REA win , Jackie Robinson Check

item_47576_1 by Guy Bourque, on Flickr
Old 10-30-2017, 04:19 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Just one for me:

Adam,

Nice pickup, and I thought for a really decent price also. The silks get so little love anymore.................

By the way, did you happen to look at the two colored version Cobbs in lots #528 and #529 that were just in front of your Mathewson? Both SGC graded, with the one just shown as Authentic going for literally 1/3 of the final price of the one graded an 80, and yet the one graded as authentic is actually in better condition IMO. No idea how the one graded an 80 gets that grade with the amount of top edge fraying it had. The centering was a little better but, not three times the value better, especially with that much fraying. Unbelievable!
Old 10-30-2017, 04:30 PM
Lar.ry Buch.heim

I won the WWG Ruth PSA 5. Very happy for a centered Ruth.

Very dissapointed I was outbid on the EPDG's.
Old 10-30-2017, 04:31 PM

Agreed, the few S74 Colored Silks had my interest. Wonder why they seem to be out of favor with the bigger money crowd. I would have bid on a couple if I hadn't spent my budget recently on a '68 Mays PSA 9. I was watching the 1949 S. Paige PSA 8, its 6600. price was solid, nice centering.
Old 10-30-2017, 04:50 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100backstroke View Post
Agreed, the few S74 Colored Silks had my interest. Wonder why they seem to be out of favor with the bigger money crowd. I would have bid on a couple if I hadn't spent my budget recently on a '68 Mays PSA 9. I was watching the 1949 S. Paige PSA 8, its 6600. price was solid, nice centering.
Always figured because:

1. They aren't actually cards, which turns off some collectors.
2. The exact same images are used in multiple other issues; T-205s, Piedmont Art Stamps: and T-202 end panels. so they aren't unique.
3. No one seems to really know how to grade them, just look at my earlier comments regarding the Cobb silks in REA's just ended auction.
4. When originally issued, they were actually folded when put into cigarette packs so they originally came folded/creased, which likely turns some collectors off.
4. PSAS won't grade them so they don't get into the registry and that likely turns off quite a few of the higher-dollar collectors also.

If someone could get PSA, or even SGC and BVG, to come up with a much more reasonable grading system for them, coupled with PSA actually grading them, I think they would see a big pick up in interest.

Last edited by BobC; 10-30-2017 at 05:00 PM.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:13 PM
Ron Skaggs

Default s74

I am so glad that there isnt big money collectors going after them. I finally after 20 yrs was able to complete my white series. Even if it doesnt have a back
I am thrilled and can't wait tell it arrives. I am wondering Bob if the Smith was available in red or brown print. The only other one I have seen is yours also with blue print. I was able to fill some colored wholes with the REA colored lot as well. I love cost averaging both lots to $65 ea.

Last edited by rsst206; 10-30-2017 at 05:16 PM.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:13 PM
Michael S.

I snagged the M116 Wags (blue).

I was the underbidder on a few others, but was glad to secure that one.

And with that - on to Heritage!!!

1951 Bowman - Mantle
T206 Cobb - Bat Off
M116 Wagner - Blue
E98 - Wagner
1947 Bond Bread - Robinson
1923 Exhibit - Stengel
1936 R314 - Goudey Premium Wide Pens #44
Old 10-30-2017, 05:38 PM
Jeffrey D. Mohler

Picked up the Lajoie W530 Pinkerton Postcard. I still need Wagner and Hoblitzell to complete my set. Just didn't have the funding last night. Darn kids in college.

Glad I picked up my Dietsche Cobb fielding from Jeff Lichtman a few years ago when he upgraded. They seem to have really taken off.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:47 PM
Dave Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
I won a couple cards - a 15 CJ Alexander and a 41 Play Ball Teddy - that I think I bid on just to win something.

After getting outbid on a couple larger items, I diverted my dollars to another purchase, however, and was able to make a deal with Greg S. last night to pick up this Anson to complete my N162 baseball subset. Always good to have an REA back-up plan.
That's a beautiful Anson!
Old 10-30-2017, 06:26 PM
J.O.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmount76 View Post
I snagged the M116 Wags (blue).

I was the underbidder on a few others, but was glad to secure that one.

And with that - on to Heritage!!!

You dog. Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My PM box might be full.

Email:
jcfowler6@zoominternet.net

Want list:
Prewar Pirates items
1909 Pirates
BF2 Wagner
Cracker Jack Wagner and Clarke

Love the hobby.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:26 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsst206 View Post
I am so glad that there isnt big money collectors going after them. I finally after 20 yrs was able to complete my white series. Even if it doesnt have a back
I am thrilled and can't wait tell it arrives. I am wondering Bob if the Smith was available in red or brown print. The only other one I have seen is yours also with blue print. I was able to fill some colored wholes with the REA colored lot as well. I love cost averaging both lots to $65 ea.
Hey Ron,

I figured you were bidding on those silk lots, especially with the Helmar and Red Sun backs included. Other than my Smith~Rustlers ad-backed silk, I've only seen/known of one other, and that got sold a year or two ago to Andy Becker I believe as part of a partial ad-backed set I think he was going to try and complete and sell. No idea whatever happened to that venture, or if he still has it. Here's a scan including that other Smith-Rustlers ad-backed silk I knew of.

As you can see, it is also with the blue ink. Now that you mention it, I'm not sure I've seen it in anything other than the blue ink version. That is a great question, did it ever get printed in the brown or red rust colored versions? Hmm!

Speaking of trying to finish sets, do have any doubles/extras in all those ad-backed silks you picked up that you'd be willing to help out a fellow collector trying to do what you're doing, finish his set? I think there were about six or seven of those in that lot I would be interested in if they are extras to you. If so, let me know and I'll send you a PM and we can discuss. Take care and good pick up. By the way, did you grab both lots, the white and colored silks?

And speaking of the REA silks, what were your thoughts on the "proofs" they listed in lot #526?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s74 paper group Includes Smith~Rustlers.jpg (71.2 KB, 567 views)
Old 10-30-2017, 06:30 PM
Ch.ris_Hel.mers

Default My First REA win

I had my first REA win ... 1909-1911 T206 White Border Hall of Fame SGC EX 60 Collection (3) Including Lajoie (throwing) and Clarke (batting and portrait).
Old 10-30-2017, 06:45 PM
Danny Smith

Holy cow the e105 mello mint lot went for ridiculous money given they aren’t “scarce” relative to the rest of the set.

Almost 10k for the lot of 3.

https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com...e?itemid=46162

Last edited by Danny Smith; 10-30-2017 at 06:46 PM.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:51 PM
Dave Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Smith View Post
Holy cow the e105 mello mint lot went for ridiculous money given they aren’t “scarce” relative to the rest of the set.

Almost 10k for the lot of 3.

https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com...e?itemid=46162
That is absolute crazy money for those!
Old 10-30-2017, 07:27 PM
John Wondowski

I picked up a card that has been on my list for a while - very reasonable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T202 Cobb.jpg (77.4 KB, 523 views)
Old 10-30-2017, 08:48 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesWS1979 View Post
I won the WWG Ruth PSA 5. Very happy for a centered Ruth.

Very dissapointed I was outbid on the EPDG's.
Nice win. Great looking card. It seems silly to me these go for less just because they have French on the back.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
Nice win. Great looking card. It seems silly to me these go for less just because they have French on the back.
oui, oui!
Old 10-30-2017, 10:37 PM
C0le Hibb@rd

I picked up my 11th BB Jackie Robinson for a reasonable price. Also was happy to see the E107 Cy Young go for $45K as I consigned mine to the next LOTG auction
Old 10-31-2017, 09:01 AM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkFan70 View Post
I had my first REA win ... 1909-1911 T206 White Border Hall of Fame SGC EX 60 Collection (3) Including Lajoie (throwing) and Clarke (batting and portrait).
Good value at that. Congrats!

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 10-31-2017, 09:10 AM
Joe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
I never even got a catalog from these guys.
The 1st time I did not receive a catalog.

Joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 10-31-2017, 09:54 AM

Shut out. Not even one of the 7 bids I thought I put a good number on held up. At least I now have money to spend on Battlefield's stuff!

Cheers,
Patrick
Old 10-31-2017, 09:55 AM
Brian Dwyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmtiger View Post
The 1st time I did not receive a catalog.

Joe
Joe,

Your catalog was shipped to Michigan, which is the address we've had on file for years. It appears now that there is a Florida address on your account, which was updated after the mailing list was generated and after the catalogs mailed. We'd have no way to know this without being made aware. So, I'm confident that your catalog is in Michigan, but if you want one sent to Florida, no problem, just let us know and we'll get one out today. We printed hundreds of extras.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
I never even got a catalog from these guys.
Robert,

Your catalog was delivered to Raleigh on October 17. Tracking is below so that you can have it. I would speak to someone at your post office since you're not receiving mail or they are arbitrarily discarding it. If you want another one sent out for your records, let me know.

To Everyone:

We have a lot of great talents on our team here. We work really hard and we put on great auctions. But unfortunately, no one at REA is psychic. It'd make a lot of things a lot easier. If you are expecting something from us and you don't get it, you have to let us know. Call or e-mail us--we are very accessible and we love sending out FREE catalogs.

We put more than 10,000 catalogs and postcard mailers in the mail this auction. We received fewer than ten calls or e-mails from bidders saying they didn't get anything from us, and in almost every case it was because we had outdated mailing information. We sent out several e-mails in advance of the auction imploring bidders to update their mailing addresses to ensure timely delivery, but again we're not psychic. We send catalogs with tracking so we can easily see where they are if needed. Our assumption is that they were all delivered. If they weren't we imagine we'd hear about it a lot more often.

I thank everyone for their participation and interest in the auction. It was a phenomenal event. Board members got some great pieces, and we were fortunate enough to have some contribute some outstanding items on the consignment side too. We're already looking forward to spring!

Thank you,

Brian
Old 10-31-2017, 10:18 AM
Pete Sycks

REA has always run a great auction. Brian and his staff are always top notch

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 10-31-2017, 10:26 AM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycks22 View Post
+1 My family knows to call Brian when I shuffle off this mortal coil.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 10-31-2017, 10:35 AM
J1m C0chran

Missed out on all of the beautiful World Series Press Pins, but did manage to pick up a "T3 No Offer Back".
Of course, you can't beat the shipping, especially after some recent experiences I have had with other AH's. And, for that, I thank you, Sir.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T3 NO OFFER.jpg (73.0 KB, 404 views)
Old 10-31-2017, 12:49 PM
Aaron Seefeldt

Default REA is #1 auction house in my opinion

Another great auction Brian! Thanks for the true professionalism.

I've been buying and selling through REA for nearly 25 years. Hands down, #1 to deal with on a business (and collector) level.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1914 CJ Keating.jpg (39.1 KB, 350 views)
File Type: jpg Honey Boy Speaker.jpg (42.2 KB, 350 views)
File Type: jpg t214 Chief Meyers.jpg (30.3 KB, 350 views)
File Type: jpg t214 Stovall.jpg (32.3 KB, 348 views)
File Type: jpg e125 Lord.JPG (59.9 KB, 348 views)
File Type: jpg e125 Matty.JPG (66.1 KB, 347 views)
File Type: jpg e125 Collins.jpg (25.9 KB, 347 views)
File Type: jpg t206 Hartsel Proof.jpg (30.2 KB, 348 views)
File Type: jpg e120 Ruth.jpg (42.9 KB, 349 views)
File Type: jpg e121 Ruth.jpg (39.3 KB, 350 views)
Old 10-31-2017, 01:03 PM
Tom Boblitt

Fantastic haul Aaron...............that proof was a bargain compared to the other 3
Old 10-31-2017, 01:06 PM
Aaron Seefeldt

Default thanks Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by autograf View Post
Fantastic haul Aaron...............that proof was a bargain compared to the other 3
Thanks Tom... I hope you are well
Old 10-31-2017, 01:23 PM
Jay Cee

Agreed, Aaron great pickups along with everyone else in the thread. How can you go wrong with any lot won in REA.

Always wanted a Clown PC to go in the collection. Seems I always get out sniped on eBay so I returned the favor in REA.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6370.jpg (62.3 KB, 464 views)

Last edited by BeanTown; 10-31-2017 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:37 PM
€dw@rd Sk€Łt0n

Dang, Aaron, pulling out all the stops! Sweet. Jealous of those Victory's!

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com
Old 10-31-2017, 01:59 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Seefeldt View Post
Thanks Tom... I hope you are well
Awesome Aaron. That E125 Matty used to be mine (several moons ago), glad it ended up in your awesome collection.....
Old 10-31-2017, 02:44 PM
Sean Costello

Aaron, great Victorys, and a proof. And a really nice e121 Ruth.

That would be a very good year for me.
Old 10-31-2017, 03:37 PM
Aaron Seefeldt

Default thanks

Thanks for all the nice comments.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:58 PM
pete ullman

Great pickups everyone...Aaron...WOW! I hope you enjoy the babe...from my collection to yours. I decided I only need 1 card of that pose!!!!
Old 10-31-2017, 06:59 PM
pete ullman

double post...oops!

Last edited by ullmandds; 11-01-2017 at 06:15 PM.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:26 PM
Kenny Cole

Got outbid on the lots I was really wanting but picked up these three.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1888 N162 Goodwin Champions Caruthers.jpg (78.5 KB, 361 views)
File Type: jpg 1911-14 D304 Bruners Bread Bender HOF 1953.jpg (77.0 KB, 356 views)
File Type: jpg 1953 Topps 82 Mantle HOF 1974.jpg (79.2 KB, 357 views)
Old 10-31-2017, 07:58 PM
Aaron Seefeldt

Default Thanks Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Great pickups everyone...Aaron...WOW! I hope you enjoy the babe...from my collection to yours. I decided I only need 1 card of that pose!!!!
Thanks Pete. He will be well loved. I'm grateful
Old 10-31-2017, 08:00 PM
And.rew Fin.kel.man

I won the Goodwin Champions PSA 4 King Kelly. Probably overpaid a bit, and I think the grade may be a little generous, but happy to be adding it to my collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Andrew1975; 10-31-2017 at 08:03 PM.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:06 PM

Default Beatles

I didn't win any sports related lots, but I finally added a nice Beatles piece. I think I got a very good deal as well ($6600 with bp) considering the quality and provenance of the item.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20171031-203121.jpg (20.3 KB, 446 views)
Old 10-31-2017, 09:07 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonxmay View Post
I didn't win any sports related lots, but I finally added a nice Beatles piece. I think I got a very good deal as well ($6600 with bp) considering the quality and provenance of the item.
AWESOME! I was eying that!
Old 11-01-2017, 03:04 PM

Picked up 10 D310s. I still need the olive green background Byrne but didn't need the overprint on the back which made it go up in price. I'll wait for the "regular" olive Byrne...

P.S. to Leon- I was stunned that the orange background Crawford wasn't marketed as a "one of a kind" which it is. I won't go in to the spiel about E94s and the orange color variations but it went way too low. I was bidding on it but lost track of it as the buzzer hit, my bad :-(
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pe94crawfordorange.jpg (74.5 KB, 351 views)
Old 11-01-2017, 03:25 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbob View Post
Picked up 10 D310s. I still need the olive green background Byrne but didn't need the overprint on the back which made it go up in price. I'll wait for the "regular" olive Byrne...

P.S. to Leon- I was stunned that the orange background Crawford wasn't marketed as a "one of a kind" which it is. I won't go in to the spiel about E94s and the orange color variations but it went way too low. I was bidding on it but lost track of it as the buzzer hit, my bad :-(
I still paid a few hundred more for the E94 than when it sold in my collection sale. My guess is that me and whomever else was bidding after around $2k, knew the deal. When Rob ran the company, if I recall correctly, I called and let him know the Orange E94 Cobby he was selling was more special than was described (at least at first). The E card and type card guys know though ....These things ain't falling through the cracks.

And nice pick up on the D310s. Those were some really nice ones.

Overall another stellar auction from REA. Can't wait for the next one!!

Last edited by Leon; 11-01-2017 at 03:25 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:30 PM
Mike

Nice Beatles Auto item. I already have one so I didn't bid on this one. I think the prices are still low on these items.
Old 11-01-2017, 06:05 PM
€dw@rd Sk€Łt0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I still paid a few hundred more for the E94 than when it sold in my collection sale. My guess is that me and whomever else was bidding after around $2k, knew the deal. When Rob ran the company, if I recall correctly, I called and let him know the Orange E94 Cobby he was selling was more special than was described (at least at first). The E card and type card guys know though ....These things ain't falling through the cracks.

And nice pick up on the D310s. Those were some really nice ones.

Overall another stellar auction from REA. Can't wait for the next one!!

Well, we found one of your winning lots I was not the other bidder on!

Old 11-01-2017, 06:37 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
Nice Beatles Auto item. I already have one so I didn't bid on this one. I think the prices are still low on these items.
Not sure. This is a very very cool item, and I would have bid had I focused on it, but there is autographed Beatles stuff in every auction. Not like anyone threw away an autographed Beatles album. And it's not like they were only together a year.

I'd love an authentic copy of the butchered baby album, and not one that's been peeled off. Now that's an item.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 11-01-2017 at 06:39 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:02 PM
€dw@rd Sk€Łt0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I'd love an authentic copy of the butchered baby album, and not one that's been peeled off. Now that's an item.
My best friend is a huge Beatles fan, and has been our whole lives. I found that album at a yard sale, just like you said, not peeled off, for $1, bought it, and gave it to him for his birthday when we were 12. He was tripping hard, telling me he couldn't keep it, it was worth too much money. I told him it was only worth the dollar I paid for it. He still has it.

Old 11-01-2017, 07:24 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjs View Post
My best friend is a huge Beatles fan, and has been our whole lives. I found that album at a yard sale, just like you said, not peeled off, for $1, bought it, and gave it to him for his birthday when we were 12. He was tripping hard, telling me he couldn't keep it, it was worth too much money. I told him it was only worth the dollar I paid for it. He still has it.
Looked at it at one point. There is the type 1, which is what you found. There is type 2 which has had the replacement covered peeled off, and type 3 which is the replacement cover/sticker still on. Some auction house has (or recently had) a type 1 signed by the fab 4. Recently saw one.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 11-01-2017 at 07:24 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:28 PM
Ne@l K

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycks22 View Post
Brian is top notch. Always has been.

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others

Last edited by Neal; 11-01-2017 at 07:30 PM.