NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: Will you continue to sell on Ebay after the new Ebay Managed Payments is implemented?
Yes, I will migrate to the new payment system and continue to sell on Ebay as usual. 79 76.70%
No, this will be the final nail in the coffin. I am done with Ebay!! 24 23.30%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-18-2020, 06:53 AM
Robert Williams

Default Will sellers continue to sell on Ebay under the new EBAY MANAGED PAYMENTS??

Just curious what my fellow card members thought about the new change that Ebay is ramming down our throats in a month.
Old 06-18-2020, 06:58 AM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Just curious what my fellow card members thought about the new change that Ebay is ramming down our throats in a month.
For the uninitiated, because I don't sell on Ebay, what exactly is the upcoming change?
Old 06-18-2020, 06:59 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

What is this in a nutshell?
Old 06-18-2020, 07:06 AM
Mike Kaminski

From what I understand, eBay is effectively moving off of PayPal as it's main payment processor and beginning to process payments themselves. This requires users to now provide direct deposit information to receive payments.
Old 06-18-2020, 07:13 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeKam View Post
From what I understand, eBay is effectively moving off of PayPal as it's main payment processor and beginning to process payments themselves. This requires users to now provide direct deposit information to receive payments.
That doesn't sound like a bad thing . . . when I occasionally sell something usually go to PayPal and transfer proceeds to a bank account anyway. Must be more than that. (Maybe tax reporting ramifications?)

Last edited by Snapolit1; 06-18-2020 at 07:13 AM.
Old 06-18-2020, 07:18 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
That doesn't sound like a bad thing . . . when I occasionally sell something usually go to PayPal and transfer proceeds to a bank account anyway. Must be more than that. (Maybe tax reporting ramifications?)
The answer is always money. As was said, Ebay is going to take the payment fees instead of letting paypal collect them. It makes business sense as long as they don't lose too many customers. I don't sell on ebay much at all (if ever anymore) so it doesn't affect me unless a lot of sellers leave.

For the record, I voted yes in the poll as I doubt I would/will quit with this new change.

Last edited by Leon; 06-18-2020 at 08:32 AM.
Old 06-18-2020, 07:22 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default Taxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
The 1099 requirements will be the same as the current PayPal requirements. 200 transactions/ $20,000 in sales.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 06-18-2020, 07:14 AM
Ben North

I rarely sell but yes the sellers are going to stay on eBay. There are no other option(s) that i know of with the eyes eBay gets. This is the same whining everyone done when we had to use PayPal.
Old 06-18-2020, 07:15 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
I receive some things direct deposited to my Paypal account, I wonder if I can use that direct deposit info. I really hate giving my bank account info to anybody.
Old 06-18-2020, 07:18 AM
Robert Williams

Another major change is, with the new change, there will now be a "hold" on your money. No more getting it instantaneously. The hold is around 3-6 days I am hearing.
Old 06-18-2020, 07:21 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Another major change is, with the new change, there will now be a "hold" on your money. No more getting it instantaneously. The hold is around 3-6 days I am hearing.
It won't matter. People will say they will get out of the hobby or quit selling but then list their items on eBay and be damn glad they can.
Old 06-18-2020, 07:20 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default Managed payments

I haven't been switched yet, but I have talked to at least a dozen sellers who have switched to managed payments, and all of them seem to like it. The downside is that most of the payments come through credit cards, and the payments are then paid to your bank account, so you don't have money building up in PayPal like you normally would. Also, if I understand correctly, your selling fees are taken out from each payment, so you don't have a big payment to eBay at the end of the month.

People can still pay you with PayPal, but the default will be a credit card, and you have to click an additional link if you want to pay by PayPal. It is different, but it seems to work fine.

As to the poll, why would I quit selling? I get a nationwide audience, the fees are much cheaper than the fees for setting up at a show, and, even though eBay has a million small glitches that can be trying, it is a good system. My sales have never been so good, and 99% of the customers are easy to deal with. Plus, I get huge postage discounts by printing the eBay/PayPal shipping labels.

Old 06-18-2020, 07:40 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
I haven't been switched yet, but I have talked to at least a dozen sellers who have switched to managed payments, and all of them seem to like it. The downside is that most of the payments come through credit cards, and the payments are then paid to your bank account, so you don't have money building up in PayPal like you normally would. Also, if I understand correctly, your selling fees are taken out from each payment, so you don't have a big payment to eBay at the end of the month.

People can still pay you with PayPal, but the default will be a credit card, and you have to click an additional link if you want to pay by PayPal. It is different, but it seems to work fine.

As to the poll, why would I quit selling? I get a nationwide audience, the fees are much cheaper than the fees for setting up at a show, and, even though eBay has a million small glitches that can be trying, it is a good system. My sales have never been so good, and 99% of the customers are easy to deal with. Plus, I get huge postage discounts by printing the eBay/PayPal shipping labels.
Rick, are you setting up a separate account specifically to deal with this, or will you give Ebay access to your main checking account?
Old 06-18-2020, 07:52 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default Account

Quote:
Rick, are you setting up a separate account specifically to deal with this, or will you give Ebay access to your main checking account?
I am going to set up a separate checking account.

Old 06-20-2020, 08:02 PM

Quote:
I kind of like it. I do this thru Amazon for years. To me much simpler than Paypal.
Old 06-21-2020, 12:39 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I decided to see what the new eBay fees would really cost me using an actual sale I had and the details eBay released on the new fee structure. Here is information I pulled directly from eBay’s communique on the new structure:

“We charge one final value fee when your item sells, and you don't have to worry about third-party payment processing fees. This fee is calculated as a percentage of the total amount of the sale, plus $0.30 per order. The total amount of the sale is the entire amount the buyer pays, including any handling charges, the shipping service the buyer selects, sales tax, and any other applicable fees.”

Final Value Fees

11.5% on total amount of the sale up to $2,500

2.35% on the portion of the sale over $2,500

Buy It Now Fee

$0.99-$9.99 $0.05

$10-$24.99 $0.10

$25-$49.99 $0.20

$50 or more $0.25

Background: I have the least expensive store ($4.95 a month). Provides me with 100 free listings a month. That will continue, so my base listing fee is a wash. I am a top rated seller so I do not absorb the penalty % that sellers not rated “above standard” or better get hit with, but I refuse to allow 1 day turnaround and 30 day returns so I do not get the top seller discount (10% of the FVF, aka 1% of the total) so that is a wash also.

Example: I listed a card for auction with a $300 BIN that sold for the BIN. Buyer paid $5 shipping and sales tax on the whole amount ($25.16) for a buyer out of pocket total cost ("OOP") of $330.16.

The costs to me with the old fee structure and PayPal:

Listing fee $0.00

BIN fee $0.00

Final Value Fee on card $30.00

Final Value Fee on shipping $0.50

Final Value Fee on sales tax: $0.00

PayPal Fee $9.87

Total Fees $40.37

My Net: $259.63

I took the above figures directly from my eBay invoice and my PayPal invoice, so there are no calculation errors. They are actual hard costs I paid.

Now the same sale under the new fee structure with integrated payments:

Listing fee $0.00

BIN fee $0.25

Combined Final Value Fee $38.27 (11.5% of the OOP $330.16 plus $0.30)

Total fees $38.52

My Net: $261.49

The hard numbers prove that by making this switch to integrated payments eBay lowered my costs. As far as I am concerned, that ends the debate over whether the switch is good or bad, though I have to believe that once eBay finishes off PayPal it will jack up the fees and f*** it all up somehow.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 06-21-2020 at 12:41 PM.
Old 06-21-2020, 01:05 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Adam, double-check the info on eBay's page regarding the new fees for Stores sellers. The reduced 11.5% fee rate only applies to Basic stores and above (i.e. Basic, Premium, Anchor, and Enterprise). Starter stores (the lowest tier which costs $4.95/month with a subscription) are charged the same 12.35% fee rate as those without a store subscription.

With a store, Basic level and up:
https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/se...e-fees?id=4809

With a Starter store or without a store:
https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/se...e-fees?id=4822

Last edited by thecatspajamas; 06-21-2020 at 01:11 PM.
Old 06-18-2020, 07:13 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
What is this in a nutshell?
Ebay has been divorced from PayPal since 2015. I'm guessing it is their attempt to finally push them out of the picture and become a "one stop shop" and start collecting some of the payment processing fee money. If sellers don't sign up for the program, they will cease to be allowed to sell on Ebay.

Last edited by bobbyw8469; 06-18-2020 at 07:13 AM.
Old 06-26-2020, 04:57 AM
Robert Williams

Poll ends soon.