NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-07-2005, 05:10 PM
Administrator

Default THE BIG BUYERS IN OUR HOBBY

Posted By: Scott Forrest

There are a number of high-rolling card collectors out there who are basically spending their inheritances. But you are right - there are advantages/disadvantages of being a lawyer (for example) and one plus it that it allows you to spend money on things that others cannot - can't hold that against them.

But don't kid yourself - there are plenty of people out there living lower-class lives who can't do much about it, generally due to lack of intelligence or laziness or a simple lifestyle choice, but who have an interest in vintage cards. For example, not everyone is intelligent enough to get through law school, or even to be allowed in. Not everyone has had wealthy ancestors pass away and leave them their wealth. No need to feel sorry for people, but no need to beat them because of their situations. For the most part this board has been very friendly to everyone - I apologize for my part in attacking the less intelligent.

Old 05-07-2005, 05:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Masson

The shows I remember from the 1970s, a lot of product was available and cheaply offered. There was not much premium attached to "high grade" stuff over solid EX and VG-EX material and actually this stuff was much harder to find. There might be quite a bit of nice stuff tucked away still to come out.

The Richard Egan collection comes to mind. He hadn't bought a card for many years. His collection is not part of the active hobby and then one day, there it is. I would not be surprised if there were numerous collections out there similar to his waiting to be recycled. Of those, the one that had the best eye for condition will be the bombshell. The more experienced dealers (Fritsch, Lipset, Lifson) probably know where all the bodies are buried and I hope they remeber my phone number.

Old 05-07-2005, 07:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: J Levine

I know Scott was not attacking the less intelligent but to be honest, I have known a lot of lawyers, doctors, engineers, computer programers, teachers, etc. whose intelligence I seriously question.
I choose to be a teacher for no other reason than I like working with children and did not want to be just another engineer in a cubicle (I was a physics major for the first half of my college career).
I know I am not the most intelligent in the room but I am certainly no slouch either.
I also am bright enough to understand that, short of the lottery win, I will not be able to buy a Delehanty Cabinet. Does not mean I will never own one. There are finds still to be found and the hunt is certainly the exciting part.

My two cents again...
Joshua

Old 05-07-2005, 07:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Forrest

<< or a simple lifestyle choice>>

...but I realize it wasn't a lack of intelligence that caused you to miss the above phrase in my post (BTW - I am also a teacher)

Old 05-11-2005, 12:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mensch

Joshua --

I'm poor too so I know how you feel. As long as you're a mensch, I guess that's what matters !!!