NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-17-2005, 10:47 AM
Administrator

Default Anonymity- should it be allowed ?

Posted By: jay behrens

As has been said by several people, if you are not willing to back up your criticisms with your real name, then you shouldn't be making them. True, it's easy enough to create a fake "real" name, but it wouldn't take long if they are a regualr contributor to figure out that the name is bogus. At that point, the person would lose all credibilty here. Given the resources and the deals that can be had on this board, I'm not sure that's worth the risk. At least to me anyway.

It's true that you need to use some caution when posting, but if you become overconcerned about some nut job that is going to Google you, hunt you down and rip you off or worse, then you better just unplug the computer, lock the doors and come out of the house only when needed.

Each person needs to assess what amount of exposure they are willing to make on the internet. If you are going to make accusations, then you had better be willing to make minimal amount of exposure on this board in order to maintain credibility.

This board's repuation is built on the fact that the contributors here are known entities and includes many of the top collectors and dealers in the country. If everyone was hiding behind screen names, this board wouldn't have the great repuation that it does.

Jay

I like to sit outside drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home I would be arrested, so I go to baseball games and fit right in.

Old 05-17-2005, 02:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

My decision, which is about 5-6 posts up this thread, is made, at least for now.....I don't want to jeopardize losing contributors and I am going to act more swiftly on confrontational anonymous posts.....thanks for everyone's input.....If it becomes a major issue, which it hasn't yet, then I will do something different......moderator dude

edited to say that this really is not my personal wish but I am doing it for the benefit of the whole......as I personally think everyone SHOULD id themselves........

Old 05-17-2005, 11:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

Jay,

I will play Devil's Advocote no longer Jay. Thanks for repeating your post and for being ever so helpful again.

DJ

Old 05-18-2005, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Identify7

I think that anonymity should be required in this open forum do to reasonable security considerations. Certainly in an e-mail or chat room environment, concern is negligable. But this venue is open to (gee, I think its everybody in the world) - no, it is limited to persons who have access to a computer.

Old 05-20-2005, 01:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: BcD

should not be able to post at all!

all right! maybe just the inane sayings at the bottom of his posts and e-mails!

Old 05-20-2005, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Watch it. I'll start charging you for the advice I'm giving you free of charge.

Jay

I like to sit outside drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home I would be arrested, so I go to baseball games and fit right in.

Old 05-21-2005, 01:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Papa

I agree with most that as a general rule ...the real name of each poster should be accessable. At a minimum if the members cannot get that information Leon should be able to feed it to us if needed.

But speaking practically ...if you don't who the person is that makes the comment ...who cares what the hell their opinion is because opinions are only worth something if you respect the mouth it came out of.

Tom Papa