NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-14-2007, 04:53 AM
Administrator

Default T211 Red Sun prices

Posted By: David Seaborn

Like JimB, I have found the set registry (in this case SGC's) to be another useful way to communicate with other collectors of the sets in which I am interested. An additional benefit is the ability to load scans of your cards (just like in photobucket, etc.). This way I can enjoy my collection without worrying about the safety of the cards. Finally, you can stay anonymous on the registry. You have the option of not supplying any contact information for others to see if you want to remain under the radar.

I think it works for some and not for others. That doesn't make it wrong or right - just a useful tool for a percentage of vintage collectors, especially those of us who collect sets. Barry's point about out of control prices on certain cards just because of their graded population is certainly well founded though.

Old 02-17-2007, 06:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

though I don't care for the exact ending amount dollar # I was pretty close when I said:

"I would guess a nice EX one could be in the $700-$900 range...but personally I haven't seen too many go that high"

http://cgi.ebay.com/1910-T211-Red-Sun-Atlanta-Crackers-Rogers-Baseball-Card_W0QQitemZ280080525306QQihZ018QQcategoryZ86841 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item280080525306

Old 02-17-2007, 08:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Todd Schultz

I think it was a steal. My lone T211 has much wider borders, but I see that the example listed on Old Cardboard is more in line with the one just sold. Maybe others could post scans of their T211s:

Edited to add: If that card was slabbed with any numeric grade it would have added at least another $200 to the price IMHO. I believe these cards are so scarce that most collectors are unfamiliar with them, and would shy away from raw examples, other than perhaps very low grade ones, for fear of the unknown.

edited pic to be smaller (leon)

Old 02-17-2007, 09:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Bruce- I would give two words of caution regarding the set registries:

If you look at the PSA registry for E94s, you will see Brian Daniels' set as far and away number one but after that there are only 2 or 3 other sets registered and they have only a couple of cards graded in them, not even a fifth of the set. I have 4 complete sets of E94s and pieces of 2 others and could easily have the 2nd highest graded E94 set on PSA but I have no inclination to register them.
Also, all of my E94s are slabbed but they are about equally divided between PSA, SGC and GAI so although I could put together one very highly graded set the grading companies would be mixed.
I am not bragging about my cards but merely pointing out that there are nice high graded sets out there, even slabbed, which aren't on any registers.

Bob

Old 02-17-2007, 10:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

Rob,
Thanks for the kind words.

TBob,
You are very right about presumptions about what is out there. I know of some extremely nice caramel sets out there that are fully graded, but not on either registry.
JimB

Old 02-17-2007, 10:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

Why do people use the set registry?

Pride
Ego
Sense of Accomplishment
Networking
Killing time until the next episode of Seinfeld

Old 02-17-2007, 10:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

I think Bob has hit the point here: on prewar sets, many cards are graded by SGC instead of PSA. Therefore, most collectors are loathe to crack them out or cross them to PSA solely to get on the Registry. Different story for postwar sets which are mostly PSA-graded. As an example, I have a handful of PSA graded T206s which are on my Registry set; however, I have dozens and dozens that are in GAI or SGC holders. Why bother crossing them over - especially since I love the black backgrounds that the other two grading companies provide?

Old 02-17-2007, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

One thing about the registry I don't understand is that sets are listed that are less than half complete, and in some cases less than 25% complete. Shouldn't a set be completed, or darn close to it, to qualify for inclusion? It appears there are almost no minimum requirements.

Old 02-17-2007, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

a card or two...I have seen this before...

one purpose it does serve is to help collectors find others with the same interests...this has helped me quite a bit in the past - bugging other collectors who have listed their email address, looking for dupes, etc...

other than that, I dunno...

Old 02-17-2007, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc

It may seem counter-intuitive but as a collector of "major" sets (T205, 206, 207) and a collector of some rare smaller sets (Scrapps, Lections, etc.) I DON'T want to see competition that leads to value increases. I would be overjoyed if everybody felt that their T207s were worthless and undesirable and would therefore be willing to sell them (to me) for pennies on the dollar. As such, I would never register a set, though I own a few that would probably rate fairly highly. The LAST thing I want to happen, for example, on the exceedingly rare occasion that a Lections pops up for sale is for the other 5 people on the planet that care about this set to start jockeying for position to outbid each other and have the "number one" set on the list. They may very well do this anyway but a tangible goal such as a registry ranking will only increase this frenzy. I am an EXTREMELY competitive person by nature, by the way, so that has nothing to do with it.

Of course, I totally see the other side of it as well. Those who are buying as an investment would want as much competition and advertisement as possible for any and all sets so a registry is an excellent tool to achieve both of these things. And somebody with an unknown and/or high grade unslabbed copy of a rare card AND who is intending to reap financial gain from it would certainly want the competition so there is something to be said for bringing more cards "into" the hobby. Myself, however, I prefer these gems to remain unknown...tucked away for me to uncover in some garage sale, grandpa's attic, or dark corner of a showcase of an unknowing dealer who swears that 2003 Upper Deck Exquisite basketball is the greatest set of cards ever produced.

Old 02-17-2007, 12:34 PM
Administrator

Fair analysis Marc, and it goes back to our original premise: there are positives and negatives associated with the set registry.

Old 02-17-2007, 12:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scot Reader

Barry,

You're right and have hit on something that has bugged me for a while. Set Registry is a misnomer. It should be called Collection Registry.

Scot

Old 02-17-2007, 12:51 PM
Administrator

You should only be able to register a set when you complete it. Some sets like T206 can fairly be called complete at 520, and sets like Old Judge can not be completed. I see people with like 8% of an N172 set and they are 10th on the registry list. That holds no meaning whatsoever.

Old 02-19-2007, 07:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay

There is a lot of 12 T209s in Mastro current auction

Old 02-20-2007, 04:38 AM
Administrator

What does a lot of T209 in Mastro's auction have to do with T211?

Old 02-20-2007, 07:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay

Nothing other than earlier in the thread people were talking about how both T209s and T211s had gotten scarce lately.