NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-12-2024, 03:57 PM
Eric
E.ric Bau.mh0er

Ruth 1st Mantle 2nd ,
Good grief ,
Five years after we save the world we get the All American boy that’s a switchhitting freak like no one‘s ever seen playing for the largest fan base in baseball , like Ruth he wins seven World Series with them while hitting more World Series home runs than anyone .. ever .
Mantle is near the top of the Hobby Where he belongs
Old 09-12-2024, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
It's interesting only one person mentioned Aaron. If future generations reject Bonds' record, the all time HR leader is going to be Aaron, as the likelihood of anyone surpassing him has to be pretty low.
Or if MLB decides the Indianapolis Clowns were a major league team and they add his 8 Negro League HRs to his 755 giving him 763 total.
Old 09-12-2024, 04:58 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
Or if MLB decides the Indianapolis Clowns were a major league team and they add his 8 Negro League HRs to his 755 giving him 763 total.
Why did they not get counted when all of Josh Gibson's stats were merged?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-12-2024, 05:07 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Why did they not get counted when all of Josh Gibson's stats were merged?
Because Aaron's were after December 31, 1948.
Old 09-12-2024, 06:03 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
Because Aaron's were after December 31, 1948.
So once MLB was nominally integrated, the Negro Leagues were minor leagues.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-12-2024, 06:12 PM

So, from January 1, 1949 until the end of the Negro Leagues no stats are recognized officially toward a players true lifetime accumulated stats and averages. Doesn't seem quite right and fair. Like the powers that be are doing their own picking and choosing what counts and what doesn't count.
Old 09-12-2024, 06:22 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
So once MLB was nominally integrated, the Negro Leagues were minor leagues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Touch'EmAll View Post
So, from January 1, 1949 until the end of the Negro Leagues no stats are recognized officially toward a players true lifetime accumulated stats and averages. Doesn't seem quite right and fair. Like the powers that be are doing their own picking and choosing what counts and what doesn't count.

Rewriting/denying history to suit an obvious contemporary political purpose is not usually concerned with consistency or logic or sensibility. That was not on the agenda.
Old 09-13-2024, 10:29 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagwell-1994 View Post
Duly noted. I think everyone had hammered the points home 10 fold! Makes me want to do a deep dive on Mick now. I honestly didn't know a whole lot about him.

O.P. I apologize for inadvertently helping to turn this thread into a Mantle biography.

My original post point was: Mantle is one of, if not the best, value investments for collectors.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
I liked, "The Last Boy" by Jane Levy.

Listen to Bob Shepard announce him coming to the plate. The way the name rolls off the tongue.

Watch his highlights, pour over his stats. Let's not forget his TORN ACL in his rookie season that never was operated on he played through his entire career. Players today are babies compared to back in the day. They simply PLAYED. Listen to his simple country drawl. We tried to imitate it. He was such a flawed person, but in the end he seeked and found redemption I think? Kinda a great human interest story really. Watch his Eulogy by Bob Costas.

What about Trout, the guy they compared him with? He wouldn't even DH with a sore knee this year. Hit .220 and that was considered HOT before the sprain. Blew off his teammates to have a "6 week" surgery, when they said he could DH. They despise him whereas the Mick's teammates LOVED him. Anyone who has followed the CHY NA Doll knew he wouldn't come back. Bam! a second knee surgery. Shocker. No, very predictable. 5 years missed in his prime. Yea he was great for a very short period, but I choose to forget the Splashing Trout and his 10,478 rookie cards, PSA 10 1 of 1's.

I don't see Trout on anyone's "investment list" but Mantle is on everyone's. While I had the pleasure to watch trout play in person dozens of time, sure he was great when he was in the lineup. Still I have never owned a Trout card. I have 99% of every Mantle card. That's just me I guess? I buy what I liked.

Last edited by Fuddjcal; 09-14-2024 at 12:27 PM.
Old 09-13-2024, 01:02 PM
Peter Spaeth

Trout is an extreme example, but even so, it seems that despite all the advances in surgical techniques, diagnostics, and training/conditioning, today's players are hurt more often, and more easily.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-13-2024 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-13-2024, 01:14 PM

Are there articles somewhere about teammates hating Trout? Where does that come from?
Old 09-13-2024, 02:04 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Quote:
Maybe he had those intangible leadership qualities that don't show up in the stats?
Forerunner to 1965 when Zoilo Versalles was MVP and Yaz whose OPS was like 150 points higher wasn't even in the top 5 I don't think.
Roger was Yankee Captain, to underscore your point.
Old 09-14-2024, 12:26 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Are there articles somewhere about teammates hating Trout? Where does that come from?
Let's just say a little birdie told me...
Old 09-14-2024, 03:12 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post
Let's just say a little birdie told me...
A little birdie told me you made up a slander and can't source it or back it up because you made it up.
Old 09-14-2024, 03:27 PM

A frog once told me if it had wings it wouldn't bump its ass when it hopped.
Old 09-14-2024, 06:51 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
A little birdie told me you made up a slander and can't source it or back it up because you made it up.
Libel, not slander.
Old 09-14-2024, 07:11 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Libel, not slander.
I am not speaking in the legal sense. If this is what we want to pick about instead of the lies, here:
Attached Images
File Type: png 2.png (179.1 KB, 378 views)
Old 09-14-2024, 07:30 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

It’s still libel, not slander.
Old 09-14-2024, 07:58 PM
Ben North

Quote:
It’s still libel, not slander.
LOL, He should have clicked on the link in his copy paste of the definition of slander.
Old 09-14-2024, 08:58 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

I would be happy to be corrected on this tiny point if anyone can show how fuddjcal's accusation does not meet the terms of the non-legal definition I highlighted. How did he not make a "false and damaging statement about (someone)", the sense I used it in?
Old 09-14-2024, 09:21 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

He potentially did. In a libelous statement.
Old 09-14-2024, 09:47 PM
Al Stein

This is the stupidest conversation ever on Net54. And that is a very high bar.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Old 09-14-2024, 11:04 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
He potentially did. In a libelous statement.
Okay. I'm just going to keep using what my dictionary says and you can write them a letter to correct the non-legal rendition if you think this is a sensible use of your time.
Old 09-15-2024, 02:54 AM
Chase

Not that I was asked but libel pertains to false statements through written words whereas slander pertains to false statements through spoken word. Legally there are hurdles for both but will leave that to someone who has actually been to law school to explain.
Old 09-15-2024, 03:37 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Okay. I'm just going to keep using what my dictionary says and you can write them a letter to correct the non-legal rendition if you think this is a sensible use of your time.
I know how very important it is for you to be accurate about things so I just wanted to correct you. You’re welcome.
Old 09-15-2024, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
Not that I was asked but libel pertains to false statements through written words whereas slander pertains to false statements through spoken word. Legally there are hurdles for both but will leave that to someone who has actually been to law school to explain.
Well, I'll take a crack at it.

In this case, the narrow and semantic question about whether potential defamatory speech is libel or slander is less relevant than whether Mike Trout could win a lawsuit because someone claimed that his teammates hate him.

Basically, the question hinges on whether (1) Mike Trout is considered a public figure (and how "public" he is) and, if so, (2) whether the speaker knew his statement was false or was reckless with regard to the statement's veracity.

I am not a defamation law expert, but in this case, I suspect it is very unlikely that Mike Trout would win a defamation case. As a very high profile professional athlete, he is a public figure in a layman's sense. And even though he is not a public official (the Supreme Court was most concerned with the freedom of the press to write liberally about public officials), he has broad access to the press, which is viewed as important because it means that he is likely to have a platform with which to defend himself against or refute the claim that his teammates hate him. This makes it extremely likely (perhaps even legally settled -- a defamation law expert could tell us) that a court would find that Mike Trout is a public figure with respect to comments regarding his role as a baseball player (and perhaps even comments that are unrelated to his role as a baseball player).

If Mike Trout is deemed a public figure, then you'd have to prove that the speaker's comment that Mike Trout's teammates hate him was made with reckless disregard for its veracity. And this would practically be an impossible standard to reach as any fan or talking head can have an opinion about how a star player is viewed by his teammates. See, for instance, all the people who claim that Aaron Rodgers is hated by his Jets teammates.

Happy to have my summary challenged by a currently practicing attorney.
Old 09-15-2024, 04:48 AM
Ge0rge Tr0end1e

I don't think Greg meant to opine that Trout had a case, per se. The question for a lawyer here (focusing on the semantics) would appear to be whether typing verbiage into a public "chat room" like Net54 is considered written or spoken "speech".

If chat rooms have displaced town gatherings as common forums for public discourse, it seems logical that laws regarding spoken speech might be deemed applicable in lieu of laws regarding written speech, such as newspapers and other "published" material.
Old 09-15-2024, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPoto View Post
I don't think Greg meant to opine that Trout had a case, per se. The question for a lawyer here (focusing on the semantics) would appear to be whether typing verbiage into a public "chat room" like Net54 is considered written or spoken "speech".

If chat rooms have displaced town gatherings as common forums for public discourse, it seems logical that laws regarding spoken speech might be deemed applicable in lieu of laws regarding written speech, such as newspapers and other "published" material.
Libel = written and Slander = spoken, at least in the state where I have since retired from the practice of law.

Damages awarded under successful defamation claims are often a function of the number of people exposed to the defamatory speech. Whether that speech is libelous (written) or slanderous (spoken) is less important than how many people read or heard that speech -- and whether that speech is permanent.

To that end, messages posted in a chat forum such as this one (which appear to be searchable on the internet forever) would likely be considered written speech. But I defer to someone whose legal experience is more recent than my own.
Old 09-15-2024, 09:35 AM
Peter Spaeth

It's self evidently written speech so any legal claim would be for libel. That said, and I don't know this to be the case, but it would not surprise me if there is informal usage that some sources recognize where slander is also a more generic term for defamation and not limited to oral speech.

Hmm. dictionary.com definition 2

a malicious, false, and defamatory statement or report:
The writer is spewing a despicable slander against an 87-year-old man, and without a shred of proof.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-15-2024 at 09:44 AM.
Old 09-15-2024, 11:13 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

We have 2 different dictionaries now directly put into this thread showing it was used correctly. The legal context is not the only accepted meaning in the English language (and very obviously not the one used in the statement that has nothing whatsoever to do with the law), which is not chosen by calvindog or myself. Nor is this a particularly rare, obtuse or antiquated usage.

I know I have a mob of readers who hang on my every single word and utterance like a cardboard Delphi. They are excited to try and get me on absolutely anything, but maybe, just maybe one should make sure they are actually correct first. I am an idiot who knows nothing, it cannot be that hard to find something I have said in ~7,000 posts over ten years (all of which contain words and most of which contain a claim to fact of some kind) to correct with something that actually checks out as true.

Let's see how long it is before the next late night out of left field attack that is provably false by the usage of a dictionary yet again. This is such a wonderful use of my impassioned followers time and lives.
Old 09-15-2024, 11:23 AM
Peter Spaeth

I've seen examples of this before, where usage that might be technically incorrect becomes sufficiently widespread that it is recognized as accepted.

Old 09-15-2024, 11:33 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
We have 2 different dictionaries now directly put into this thread showing it was used correctly. The legal context is not the only accepted meaning in the English language (and very obviously not the one used in the statement that has nothing whatsoever to do with the law), which is not chosen by calvindog or myself. Nor is this a particularly rare, obtuse or antiquated usage.

I know I have a mob of readers who hang on my every single word and utterance like a cardboard Delphi. They are excited to try and get me on absolutely anything, but maybe, just maybe one should make sure they are actually correct first. I am an idiot who knows nothing, it cannot be that hard to find something I have said in ~7,000 posts over ten years (all of which contain words and most of which contain a claim to fact of some kind) to correct with something that actually checks out as true.

Let's see how long it is before the next late night out of left field attack that is provably false by the usage of a dictionary yet again. This is such a wonderful use of my impassioned followers time and lives.
Don’t flatter yourself, I actually agree with your politics and most of what you say out here and have never once tried to get you on anything you’ve said. Libel is written defamation. Slander is spoken defamation. We would never tolerate a colloquial, incorrect word usage. We are paragons of pedantic exactitude. You’re welcome.
Old 09-15-2024, 11:58 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Don’t flatter yourself, I actually agree with your politics and most of what you say out here and have never once tried to get you on anything you’ve said. Libel is written defamation. Slander is spoken defamation. We would never tolerate a colloquial, incorrect word usage. We are paragons of pedantic exactitude. You’re welcome.
Oh hardly flattery, for to be a cardboard Delphi is to be a false prophet. I flatter myself by calling myself an idiot who knows nothing, albeit a liberal idiot. In the case of calvindog vs. the dictionary with the question of what a word means, I am going to use the dictionary. As a paragon of pedantic exactitude, I am cognizant that dictionaries are the proper resource for the question and not your opinion of what should be struck from the dictionaries.
Old 09-15-2024, 12:07 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Greg, I’m going to watch football now and try to end this debate which seems to have become your raison d’etre. Libel is written defamation. Slander is spoken defamation. This is true in the dictionary and in real life as I’ve handled both slander and libel cases. No need to go to the library and write a research paper on this. We’re not idiots and we don’t run down the list of dictionary definitions until we find one that supports our position in hindsight. We’re educated men. I simply said libel, not slander. I didn’t write a thesis or review all of your 7000 posts. If you want to use the uneducated, colloquial definition of a word I won’t stop you. I’m going to let you live. Now go watch football, this isn’t the Lincoln/Douglas debates.
Old 09-15-2024, 12:13 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Greg, I’m going to watch football now and try to end this debate which seems to have become your raison d’etre. Libel is written defamation. Slander is spoken defamation. This is true in the dictionary and in real life as I’ve handled both slander and libel cases. No need to go to the library and write a research paper on this. We’re not idiots and we don’t run down the list of dictionary definitions until we find one that supports our position in hindsight. We’re educated men. I simply said libel, not slander. I didn’t write a thesis or review all of your 7000 posts. If you want to use the uneducated, colloquial definition of a word I won’t stop you. I’m going to let you live. Now go watch football, this isn’t the Lincoln/Douglas debates.
Remember who picked this dumbass argument (and now is too good for it when it turns out he is factually wrong!). Enjoy your football game, I hope you find it more fulfilling than fighting the dictionary.
Old 09-15-2024, 12:17 PM
Peter Spaeth

I get slandered
Libeled
I hear words I never heard in the Bible

Old 09-15-2024, 12:19 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Remember who picked this dumbass argument (and now is too good for it when it turns out he is factually wrong!). Enjoy your football game, I hope you find it more fulfilling than fighting the dictionary.
I just removed what I wrote as I feel I’ll be trapped for the rest of time arguing with you unless I did. Good luck!

Last edited by calvindog; 09-15-2024 at 12:22 PM.
Old 09-16-2024, 12:06 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

thread needs a card break...

GUS SAYS RELAX

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 09-16-2024 at 12:07 PM.
Old 09-16-2024, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
thread needs a card break...

GUS SAYS RELAX
JUST IN CASE you wish to know the meaning behind this unusual photo Topps used in 1952, Gus Zernial had just hit 2 home runs in 3 consecutive games, from May 13-16, 1951. With this achievement, a photographer came up with the idea of attaching 6 balls to a bat, and having Gus hold it. flashing A-OK! As Gus's SABR article reported, Ozark Ike hit another home run in the next game; thus, Gus crushed 7 homers in 4 consecutive games! WOW!

--- Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 09-18-2024 at 10:28 AM.
Old 09-18-2024, 07:10 AM

Quote:
It's interesting only one person mentioned Aaron. If future generations reject Bonds' record, the all time HR leader is going to be Aaron, as the likelihood of anyone surpassing him has to be pretty low.
I would have thought that Hank Aaron has value for these reasons as well. I always wondered why he seemed undervalued. His numbers are awesome. He also played against a Jackie Robinson-esque social backdrop, which should heighten his historical value to the game. This said, his Topps rookie doesn't seem that rare. The 54 Johnston rookie is much rarer, but that one doesn't seem to get a lot of hobby love relative to its scarcity.
Old 09-18-2024, 09:17 AM
TJ DH@rs°

Quote:
You're missing my point entirely. It's OK maybe I am not communicating it.
my 79 year old father and i agree with you on this topic. race was 100% part of the problem then. not calling anyone racist but times were quite diff then.
many people who pushed mantle to his current prices were / are baby boomers. mays and aaron never received the PR they deserved then and still today.

i do think mantle playing in NY and the yanks playing on all those WS def helped since that meant more tv footage was saved.
Old 09-18-2024, 02:57 PM
C0le Hibb@rd

I don't feel confident in calling anybody but the household names investments. There are plenty of people who are probably undervalued that are just too niche to reach anybody that doesn't get deep into the history of baseball - John Ward, Ed Delahanty, Frank Robinson.

Even the names we think are household ballplayers aren't as well known as we think - it's insane to me over the years how many people couldn't tell me who Mickey Mantle is. But they're known well enough to the public that anybody who gets into collecting old baseball cards usually jumps to the legends - Ruth, Mantle, Robinson, Cobb, Wagner, DiMaggio, Gehrig, Young, Mays, Aaron are guys I would put in the top 10 in no particular order. Players who are arguably just as good or better but aren't as well known I would throw in the next tier - WaJo, Mathewson, Ted Williams, Yogi Berra, Stan Musial, Clemente, Koufax

Huge announcements like the MLB including Negro Leagues stats has possibly inserted guys like Josh Gibson into the mix as well
Old 09-18-2024, 03:33 PM
Eric
E.ric Bau.mh0er

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagerookies51 View Post
I don't feel confident in calling anybody but the household names investments. There are plenty of people who are probably undervalued that are just too niche to reach anybody that doesn't get deep into the history of baseball - John Ward, Ed Delahanty, Frank Robinson.

Even the names we think are household ballplayers aren't as well known as we think - it's insane to me over the years how many people couldn't tell me who Mickey Mantle is. But they're known well enough to the public that anybody who gets into collecting old baseball cards usually jumps to the legends - Ruth, Mantle, Robinson, Cobb, Wagner, DiMaggio, Gehrig, Young, Mays, Aaron are guys I would put in the top 10 in no particular order. Players who are arguably just as good or better but aren't as well known I would throw in the next tier - WaJo, Mathewson, Ted Williams, Yogi Berra, Stan Musial, Clemente, Koufax

Huge announcements like the MLB including Negro Leagues stats has possibly inserted guys like Josh Gibson into the mix as well
👍 .. Cy Young t206 portrait will probably always float ..
with the Cy Young Award and what not .. And it’s a good looking card
Old 09-18-2024, 03:45 PM
Peter Spaeth

Good list. I'd put Joe Jackson in and take Berra out. And I probably would add Rose and Ryan from the 60s.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-18-2024 at 03:47 PM.
Old 09-19-2024, 09:21 AM
Chuck Tapia

Very sorry I derailed the discussion. I didn't mean to slander poor Mike Trout, the ChyNA doll. Can we forget that bum now and talk about Mickey again?
Trout has packs to rip so he can add to his 37 M salary for doing absolutely nothing again this year. I can't see where that would cause any animosity.

I'm just curious if it's libel or slander if it's true?
Old 09-19-2024, 09:58 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Very sorry I derailed the discussion. I didn't mean to slander poor Mike Trout, the ChyNA doll. Can we forget that bum now and talk about Mickey again?
Trout has packs to rip so he can add to his 37 M salary for doing absolutely nothing again this year. I can't see where that would cause any animosity.

It was a great derailment as we got to see someone be wrong and then argue they were correct. That is always fun. As someone who may or may not have gotten a letter from a lawyer for something they posted on here. I can guarantee the letter from the lawyer used libel and not slander.
Old 09-19-2024, 12:00 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
It was a great derailment as we got to see someone be wrong and then argue they were correct. That is always fun. As someone who may or may not have gotten a letter from a lawyer for something they posted on here. I can guarantee the letter from the lawyer used libel and not slander.
I was never clear on the merits of the actual accusation. Writing that Trout's teammates hate him - what's the legal threshold? Would 2 hateful teammates satisfy the claim? Or would it require a higher percentage?
Old 09-19-2024, 12:30 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:

No, truth is a defense, but it would be tough to establish here.

Old 09-20-2024, 11:11 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniship View Post
Curious your thoughts on the best players and or cards to invest in for vintage as of this time in our history September 2024.

Here’s my two cents - would love to hear yours.

Joe Jackson
Josh Gibson (what little there is)
Early Negro league players that were the first major league baseball players
Jackie Robinson lower pop cards
Ted Williams seems completely undervalued - But that has always been the case so take heed
Willie Mays and Hank Aaron also seem undervalued - But that is always been the case with them too in my opinion so might never change in our lifetime
1914 crackerjack cards and 1915 crackerjack cards (Not enough to go around)

Just a few that popped into my brain would love to hear your opinions. Thanks!
Here's my list. I call them the Top Tier 1 "Burrito". In no particular order...

1. Jackie Robinson
2. Babe Ruth
3. Ty Cobb
4. Lou Gehrig
5. Mickey Mantle
6. Honus Wagner
7. Joe Jackson
8. Willie Mays
9. Hank Aaron
10. Sandy Koufax
11. Walter Johnson
12. Cy Young
13. Joe Dimaggio
14. Ted Williams
15. Roberto Clemente

Top 2 Burrito

16. Yogi Berra
17. Roy Campanella
18. Christy Mathewson
19. Rogers Hornsby
20. Satchel Paige

etc

I have 4 tiers to my personal Burrito Principle....I'm pretty laser focused on the top tier at present and have filled out tiers 3 & 4 already.

Happy Collecting.
Old 09-20-2024, 11:20 AM
Eric
E.ric Bau.mh0er

C’mon Musials at least a burrito 2 😐
Old 09-22-2024, 08:35 AM

Wow, this thread went off the rails a little bit. It's hard to get a handle on all of his early cards and their relative values, but I think Sadaharu Oh is a pretty good investment right now. Legendary career, all with one team, all-time global HR leader, and then a long post-playing career as well. Maybe Ohtani's wild success in MLB will create some uplift for other less recognized (in the US) Japanese players.