NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 04-18-2014, 06:04 AM
Sebastian

Happy Birthday Graig! those paintings are amazing. That Anson is just...wow
Old 07-07-2014, 07:07 AM
Alex

Craig - Have you ever thought about gifting a painting to a team? I bet the franchise would hang it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:39 PM
Graig Kreindler

Hey everyone,

I just got some scans back from the photographers that I thought I would share. They're not completely color-corrected yet, so they might be a little off in some spots, but overall, they're not too bad:

Honus Wagner, 1914, 20" x 16"

Walter Johnson, 1914, 20" x 20"

Richie Ashburn, March, 1956, 9" x 12"

Honus Wagner (color study), 1902, 5" x 7"

Moonlight Graham (color study), 1905, 5" x 7"

Horace Wilson (color study), 1902, 5" x 7"

Kijuro Abe (color study), 1908, 5" x 7"

Some of you might recognize the Walter Johnson portrait, as I had done one last year of the same image. It's actually the exact same painting, but I realized that I had made a mistake with the color of the dugout roof face, and the client who purchased it was kind enough to send it back to let me correct it for him. That was after I sent him a late-night panicked email. Ya know, because I'm insane. So yeah, thanks a lot for that opportunity, Mike!

The studies were a lot of fun, as I was able to paint two fellas (Wilson and Abe) who are pretty unknown to people in the United States, one of whom happens to have an amazing beard. And heck, I've always wanted to paint that darn Wagner image - I'm surprised it took me this long to get to it. The Moonlight Graham was an interesting challenge too, one that I'm not sure as to whether I'll be able to create a full-sized painting of, as I can't locate a scan of that image that's in high enough quality. Even then, the print that I worked from for this wasn't terribly clear or crisp.

Anywho, I hope y'all dig 'em. And certainly, if you have any comments, questions, critiques, or criticisms, please feel free to share them!

Thanks,

Graig
Old 07-22-2014, 09:22 AM
Bill Boyd

Graig,
They look great.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:33 AM
Belltown Vintage

The lighting on the Ashburn is fantastic.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:47 AM
L@nce Fit.tro

I thought that Johnson looked familiar! Thank you for explaining, and yes, you are insane, but in a good way I'm really digging that beard on Wilson and would love to see a larger version some day. Ashburn keeps getting better every time I scroll down the page, and is sure to take the lead as my favorite of the bunch if I stare at the screen much longer.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:36 PM
Belltown Vintage

Y'all bettuh not be eyein my Cobb now.

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk
Old 01-29-2015, 03:10 PM
Graig Kreindler

Hey all,

Just got these three back from the photographers today. The color-correction isn't quite there yet, but it's pretty darn close.

I'm not gonna lie, I had a BALL painting these three, all for different reasons.

Mike Kelly, 1887, 12" x 16"

Dutch Revelle, 1908, 12" x 16"

Willie Keeler, 1912, 20" x 16"

I've always wanted to try King Kelly, and the only thing standing between me and that was finding a quality scan of that image. Luckily the Hall of Fame came through. I only wish I could find a crap-ton of photos like these of the 19th century boys. I have a handful left that I'll be doing in the future, but always want to see more.

Dutch was also a treat. If nothing else, he was such a fun subject to tackle, especially being one of the more 'obscure' T206ers. I'm terribly fascinated by those guys, players who people today know so little about, but at that time, were beloved. Well, maybe it was a little different with Dutch, since he didn't make it to the bigs, but in the Southern league, I know he was quite the prospect. If I'm not mistaken, the Highlanders took a couple of looks at him over the years?

And, Keeler. What a face he had!! I'd been drawn to this image ever since I saw it, because of the wrinkles, the stands, and the jersey. Of course, that Dodger blue couldn't have hurt either.

Anywho, hope you enjoy 'em. Feel free to toss any critiques, questions or comments my way!

Thanks for reading,

Graig
Old 01-29-2015, 03:48 PM
Brian T.

Unbelievable, fantastic work again, Graig. You are truly a master.

When I first saw the letters on your Smoky Joe Wood painting, I was astounded. You did it again with Kelly. Your painting of Dutch makes me wonder what stories he could tell. He will make an incredible addition for somebody. So much character just leaps off the canvas.

I'm out of words. You da man!

ETA: the appearance of texture on Revelle's jersey blows my mind

Last edited by terjung; 01-29-2015 at 03:50 PM. Reason: found more words
Old 01-29-2015, 07:36 PM

The Dutch is so warm and lifelike, I can practically see his pulse. Love all three!
Old 01-29-2015, 07:44 PM
Joe

Being a lover of ancient flannel, I am amazed how the texture is captured in then uniforms. I feel like I can touch them. Amazing.
Old 02-04-2015, 01:20 PM
Graig Kreindler

Thank you so much for those kind words, guys. I'm thrilled you dig these.

I've definitely been digging doing these portraits a lot lately. What's nice about them is that they're pretty quick to do (well, quick my my standards), and they're such great ways to evoke the character of the game, whether it's because of facial hair, the vintage jerseys and hats, or even just the background of the painting. I'm hoping that I can continue to do a bunch of them throughout the years, especially more of the 19th century guys. It seems like the further back into history I go, the more excited I get!

Graig
Old 06-17-2015, 01:06 PM

How is this even possible?
I stumbled into this section and into this thread by mistake.... these paintings are out of sight. I can't believe it.

I need to hire you to do a painting of a photo of my daughter! Do you do stuff like that?

Incredible work.
Old 06-17-2015, 02:59 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Josh,
Welcome to Kreindler's world. For too long the world has not known about the magic in his brushes. They are starting to get it. Welcome to those of us who stand in awe of his talent every time he posts something new. I hesitate sometimes to post when he puts up new stuff ad I think I've used every adjective in the book to describe how great his work is.

As usual buddy, just incredible.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 08-03-2015, 08:20 AM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Congrats on the little one. Some of your best work yet.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Old 08-03-2015, 10:18 AM
Bill Boyd

Graig,
That study of Gehrig is a winner, almost as good as the photo of your son. Another prodigy in the Kreindler household no doubt. Can't wait to see his first Nettles.

Bill

Last edited by billyb; 08-03-2015 at 10:19 AM.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:56 AM
Graig Kreindler

Thanks so much, Mark and Bill. It's no surprise to tell you that we're experiencing ALL the emotions.

As I alluded to on Facebook with David, I just need to find him a nice vintage Highlanders onesie for the colder months!
Old 08-20-2015, 06:22 PM
Graig Kreindler

Hey all,

Hope this entry finds everyone well and keeping cool.

I got these two paintings back from the photographers today and thought I'd share:

Roberto Clemente, July 3, 1955, 24" x 18"

Honus Wagner T206, 10" x 18"

Both of these are part of the back load of commissions I've been trying to finish up in the last few months. It's amazing how much having a newborn can slow things down!

The Clemente was very much a labor of love, as I went pretty batshit when I first saw that the actual photo from this existed. I've always loved that '56 Topps card, so being given the opportunity to recreate what it might have looked like in person was an absolute honor. I hope the client enjoys it as much as I did making it.

The Wagner, though very time consuming, was also good fun. I don't normally love doing these card commissions, as I feel like I don't really add anything special to them, but I definitely gave it my best to create sort of a trompe l'oeil effect, which I think works. Hopefully.

Anywho, back to the easel in an attempt to continue getting caught up. I'll also be having some new color studies up on eBay in the next few weeks, so if anyone is interested in hearing about them or getting a preview, just drop me a line.

As per usual, any thoughts, comments, or critiques are ALWAYS appreciated.

Thanks for reading!

Graig
Old 08-20-2015, 07:44 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Sweet!
Old 08-20-2015, 08:10 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKreindler View Post
Hey all,

Hope this entry finds everyone well and keeping cool.

I got these two paintings back from the photographers today and thought I'd share:

Roberto Clemente, July 3, 1955, 24" x 18"

Honus Wagner T206, 10" x 18"

Both of these are part of the back load of commissions I've been trying to finish up in the last few months. It's amazing how much having a newborn can slow things down!

The Clemente was very much a labor of love, as I went pretty batshit when I first saw that the actual photo from this existed. I've always loved that '56 Topps card, so being given the opportunity to recreate what it might have looked like in person was an absolute honor. I hope the client enjoys it as much as I did making it.

The Wagner, though very time consuming, was also good fun. I don't normally love doing these card commissions, as I feel like I don't really add anything special to them, but I definitely gave it my best to create sort of a trompe l'oeil effect, which I think works. Hopefully.

Anywho, back to the easel in an attempt to continue getting caught up. I'll also be having some new color studies up on eBay in the next few weeks, so if anyone is interested in hearing about them or getting a preview, just drop me a line.

As per usual, any thoughts, comments, or critiques are ALWAYS appreciated.

Thanks for reading!

Graig
Looks like you were able to really "brush up" on damages on these too. Congrats.. They look really beat up. You the best buddy.

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 01-12-2016, 06:13 PM
Jacob

This is amazing, gorgeous work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
Old 01-12-2016, 10:05 PM
Bill Boyd

Graig,

Great paintings again, really enjoying that Lajoie study. The three full size paintings are just remarkable. That Baker/Snodgrass painting is just unhumanly perfect Graig.
Old 01-15-2016, 06:33 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

That Snodgrass is sick!!!! Love it!!!!
Old 01-15-2016, 07:08 PM
McKinzie Eli Lambert

Graig, you never cease to amaze me! You are truly a talented young man. A gift to the baseball world!
Old 01-15-2016, 09:08 PM

I'm such a fan, Graig. I love the painting of Sandy and George Lederer.

BTW, George Lederer was also the Angels PR man that dreamed up the Nolan Ryan "Guess the Speed Night" in 1974 that I have opined about in another post recently.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nolan Ryan speed test press release.jpg (55.2 KB, 648 views)
File Type: jpg Nolan Ryan speed night newspaper clippings-3.jpg (63.9 KB, 653 views)
Old 03-25-2016, 11:02 AM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Great stuff as usual. I have run out of new adjectives to use.
I would definitely be interested in another raffle

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Old 02-08-2018, 05:40 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Graig,
As usual some spectacular work.
I love the Johnson and a few others, but perhaps my favorite painting of all is that Ken Williams. Along with your first Matty, the Jackie Robinson walking in the shadows, and my Gehrig painting it is among my favorite paintings of yours period.

In my mind, it is the "perfect" baseball photo from that Era. I just can't get it out of my mind. I am soooooo jealous of the owner.
Keep up the great work.

One of these days I will get another Kreindler masterpiece. I have to start saving my pennies.
Mark

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Lordstan; 02-08-2018 at 05:41 PM.
Old 02-10-2018, 11:51 PM
Rob

Damn, you are talented! Continued good fortune!
Old 02-14-2018, 01:13 PM
Graig Kreindler

Mark, I know how much you love that Williams photograph. In the end, I have no idea who it went to after Henry's auction. Somehow I was able to land a nice enough scan of it to work from, and as you can imagine, was excited as all hell to do so. The client wasn't even super picky about what he wanted for his commission - just something that really screamed 'baseball'. As soon as I showed him the photograph, he knew it was the one right away. I'm just really glad that the painting came out well and he was happy!

Anywho, here are two more I got back from the photographers today:

Eppa Rixey, 1912, 16" x 12"

Ted Williams, April 20, 1939, 18" x 24"

The Rixey was such a breath of fresh air - I LOVE painting these more obscure guys. I wasn't able to find any definitive reference as to the colors of the font/trim of the Phillies jersey, but I took an educated guess knowing what they had worn years prior and a couple after 1912. I also made the client promise that if I finally did find a smoking gun that rendered my choice to be wrong, he'd send it back and allow me to make the change on the painting. Ya know, because I have issues.

For what it's worth, I'd done a few studies of the Williams, including a larger one many years back - I was excited to finally tackle the full-sized image. And though my photographers do a great job, I think in person, it's a lot better.

Anywho, hope y'all enjoy these two. And as per usual, feel free to share any thoughts/comments/questions or otherwise!

Graig
Old 02-15-2018, 10:05 AM
Mike

That Teddy Ballgame is awesome!

Mike
Old 02-15-2018, 10:30 AM
Graig Kreindler

Thanks a lot, Mike!!! I appreciate the comment, especially from a Yankee collector!
Old 10-23-2018, 07:43 PM
Greg Ryk0w$k1

Very cool, congrats! Well deserved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/gregr2
Old 10-23-2018, 07:52 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Default Congrats

On your major award buddy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12960B77-66FE-45DE-B11B-EF1B0DC7D8B4.jpg (5.4 KB, 544 views)

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 10-23-2018, 08:08 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Just Great Stuff, Graig!

Just like Sidd Finch...you strike out 26 in a row and leave us wanting more!

=

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 10-23-2018, 09:54 PM
Graig Kreindler

Thank you so much for all of your kind words, everybody. It's been a pretty tough year in terms of my working habits (I guess two young kids will challenge that), so this was really a surprise that came out of nowhere. In fact, I still can't believe it - I feel like there's been some sort of mistake.

But if not, I'm truly honored. And I only hope I can start to catch up soon. And for those of you who have stuck with me and have been patient with your commissions, I appreciate it more than I can possibly express. And know that the final products will be worth that wait.

You guys are the best.
Old 10-24-2018, 03:02 PM
David McDonald

Graig: It is immeasurably more wonderful to own a work of art when its provenance includes having shared a matzoh ball soup dinner with the artist.
The Falk Matty is Kreindleriffic!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC08494.jpg (74.3 KB, 503 views)
Old 03-02-2021, 02:51 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Congrats. That is awesome.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Old 03-02-2021, 03:54 PM

Congrats Eric, that's a beauty!
Graig, if you're reading these posts, awesome job!
I hope things are well with you and the family
Old 03-02-2021, 05:12 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

Thanks Scott and Mark!
Old 04-03-2021, 10:18 AM
Mikeknapp

Graig should consider painting this one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg greenberg.jpg (76.0 KB, 638 views)

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)

Last edited by 71buc; 04-03-2021 at 10:19 AM.
Old 04-03-2021, 10:57 AM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
That would look awesome.

Old 04-03-2021, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
Absolutely!!
Old 04-08-2021, 09:32 AM
M@rk V3l@rd3

More great stuff Graig.

Old 04-08-2021, 10:39 AM

Fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-08-2021, 11:13 AM

Amazing job on the Gehrig, Graig! Congrats.
Old 04-09-2021, 09:27 AM
T!M R10rd@n

WOW!

Lou with the Marx Brothers is INCREDIBLE!

And . . . Congratulations on the cover of the REA catalog!

Successful transactions with:
300dw123, autograf, bn2cardz, buymycards, CobbvLajoie1910, Daves_resale_shop, frankbmd, GoCubsGo32, GoldenAge50s, GrayGhost, Head928, Jayworld, jdl860, jgmp123, kamikidEFFL, larrie804, Leerob538, lharri3600, Lordstan, megalimey, Orioles1954, quinnsryche, Redleg25, rjackson44, Rob D., SAllen2556, scmavl, slantycouch, slipk1068, Smanzari, TCMA, thetruthisouthere, Wolfgang427, yanks12025, ZackS
Old 04-11-2021, 08:58 PM
Graig Kreindler

Thank you so much for all of the kind words, everybody!!

It really was a joy to paint that one, especially because of the subject matter. And obviously, the light was also a big selling point.

Here's one that I thought had some similar kind of vibes to it:

Babe Ruth, November 29, 1924, 38" x 28"

In terms of the scene, well, I don't know a ton about it. What I could gather is that it's part of the barnstorming tour that Babe was on in the fall of 1924. I know that at least some of it took place in northern California, but I'm not sure how much, or for how long. I wasn't able to find much information in the papers, but I also might not be looking in the right place. The slug on the back of the original photo listed the date as November 29, though I think that that might be too late, as I have proof that he was touring in late October, but am not sure when the gigs actually stopped.

It's worth noting that the uniform he's wearing might not be specific to that barnstorming tour, as it reminds me a LOT of the jersey worn by the players during the 1913-14 world tour. I wonder if it's actually from then?

Anywho, if you know the original photo, it's hard to think of anybody other than Norman Rockwell when looking at it. In that regard, I think one needn't look any further than the subject matter: a ballplayer interacting with kids. It's a motif that's often a winning combination, and something that Rockwell utilized often in his work. It may not have always been a relationship between a sports figure and a child, but it always seemed to be somebody older--maybe a mentor or authority-type figure and some neophyte-sort. Many people think that it's those illustrated interactions and insinuated relationships that make Norman's work so sentimental and sweet. I feel like those are the same qualities that I tried to imbue into this painting (though considering the photo is so great, I didn't have to do much). And let's be honest, that sense of saccharine is only heightened by the fact that the depicted ballplayer is none other than Babe Ruth.

If it's not obvious, Norman was-and still is-a huge influence on me. As a painter, I was first attracted to his technical abilities--the way he rendered form and handled the medium was just truly exquisite. And in my opinion, his design of the picture plane was equaled by very few artists or illustrators during that time period. He was a throwback to Howard Pyle, who treated his paintings as perfectly orchestrated stage performances where every single subject and its placement was incredibly important to the telling of the story, and creating drama in the picture. Still to this day, I can thumb through books of his work and sit there in awe of the kind of emotion he was able to elicit. I feel like if by the end of my time here, I can even touch the hem of his garment as far as that sort of thing is concerned, I would die a happy man. Maybe doing paintings like these is a step in a good direction for that. Ya know, dying.

Hope y'all dig it, and as always, feel free to comment, critique, question or throw things.

G

Last edited by GKreindler; 04-11-2021 at 08:59 PM.
Old 12-08-2021, 07:06 PM
David H.

I was thinking it would be a great post if Graig did a progression post of the process he goes through when painting a subject with pictures at each point.

Lou Gehrig Items
Christy Mathewson Cards
Addie Joss Cards
E103 (30/30 100%)
T206 NY Highlanders (100%)
1956 Topps Yankees (100%)
T210 Series 3 Orange Borders (9/20 45%)
Old 12-08-2021, 09:14 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper1927 View Post
I was thinking it would be a great post if Graig did a progression post of the process he goes through when painting a subject with pictures at each point.

He has definitely already done that. Not sure if it's buried within this thread or another one. I want to say it was for the contest winner (effe) who chose Hank Aaron as his subject.
Old 12-08-2021, 09:38 PM
David H.

I must find this!!!

Lou Gehrig Items
Christy Mathewson Cards
Addie Joss Cards
E103 (30/30 100%)
T206 NY Highlanders (100%)
1956 Topps Yankees (100%)
T210 Series 3 Orange Borders (9/20 45%)