NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-10-2010, 02:29 PM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicem View Post
Each kid should get a giant dead deer.
Ha. The kid who scores the most soccer goals should get the one with the biggest furry antlers.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206

Last edited by T206Collector; 09-10-2010 at 02:29 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:31 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by M's_Fan View Post
I pulled the deer pic down from my photobucket account so it doesn't show up on this thread anymore. I enjoy hunting but I'm not the type of guy that likes to make waves. I apologize if I offended anyone, it didn't occur to me that would be the result.

Let's close this chapter and get back to talkin' about cardboard.
I abhor hunting. I abhor animals being harmed. I'd sooner see the heads of a few Net 54 members on the wall than that poor deer you displayed here. Nevertheless, your point that you actually eat the meat and don't support a 'meat farm' makes a lot of sense. I've got more respect for someone who hunts for food than someone who abuses animals for sport and then tries to rationalize it away. But as pointed out, no one likes to see a dead Bambi on the board, even as they prepare for a steak dinner.

All this talk about steak has got me wondering: when is the Net 54 NYC Dinner group getting together again?
Old 09-10-2010, 03:50 PM
D.B. Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
I'd sooner see the heads of a few Net 54 members on the wall than that poor deer you displayed here.
If I ever have that nervous breakdown I've been planning on, you may get your wish.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:27 PM
Matt Hall

*Delete

Last edited by Matthew H; 09-12-2010 at 11:26 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:58 PM
Val Kehl

David - I agree with you in that I don't think Sam Rice is one of the Senators in your PC. Great pickup!
Val
Old 09-10-2010, 10:57 PM
Trae Regan

Okay, back on topic.

Many thanks to Tony for this beauty!

Old 09-10-2010, 11:10 PM
qu@n nguy3n

latest pickup:

oops OT wrong board, back to the hello kitty bookmark...

Last edited by chaddurbin; 09-10-2010 at 11:13 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:56 PM
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawika View Post
I didn't kill nothing but I bagged some nice cards.

The presence of Frank Schulte, front row 4th from the right (between Clyde Milan (R) and Eddie Foster (L) dates David's nice rppc to 1918.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:41 AM
David McDonald

Mark: You've got the eagle eye. Merito Acosta (front row, far right) was traded to the A's on May 25, 1918 so we're talking a narrow window in the Spring of '18 as to when this picture was taken. The absence of Sam Rice in the photo would be explained by the fact that he was in the army for much of the season.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:25 AM

I love flea markets.
Thank You, Brian for the Goudeys of Myatt and Jamieson.
Thank You, Tim for the exhibit of Greenberg.
Thank You to a dealer I didn't get the name of for the Churchman's Armstrong (OT).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1933 Goudey Myatt [Front].jpg (21.1 KB, 483 views)
File Type: jpg 1933 Goudey Jamieson [Front].jpg (23.7 KB, 486 views)
File Type: jpg 1939-46 Exhibits Greenberg.jpg (30.7 KB, 488 views)
File Type: jpg 1938 Churchman's Cigarettes Armstrong [Front].jpg (31.9 KB, 487 views)
Old 09-11-2010, 09:31 AM

I love flea markets part 2:
Thank You, Bob, for two separate transactions. I also picked up a grouping of 1950 Pirates from Larry, but have included the picture of Mueller in this post because his picture in the grouping was from his first stint with the Pirates in 1939:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1931 Four on One Koenig [Front].jpg (18.2 KB, 614 views)
File Type: jpg 1933 Goudey Collins [Front].jpg (18.6 KB, 613 views)
File Type: jpg 1934 Goudey Bridges [Front].jpg (20.7 KB, 611 views)
File Type: jpg 1934 Goudey Vosmik [Front].jpg (21.4 KB, 611 views)
File Type: jpg 1950 Pirates Mueller.jpg (38.2 KB, 609 views)
Old 09-11-2010, 09:33 AM

Thank You, Chris and Thank You, Neil:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1928 Star Candy Williams.jpg (22.8 KB, 617 views)
File Type: jpg 1933 Tattoo Orbit Ferrell.jpg (15.9 KB, 609 views)
Old 09-11-2010, 04:07 PM

I have had this one for a bit, but it doesn't look like I have ever scanned it in. I love the colors on this one!! It looks way better in hand than in the scans. Sorry for the big scan, as I don't understand the new photobucket program yet.

American Beauty 350 Framed Black Cap Matty
I also added a real sharp Collins that is going to stay in the holder, unlike all of the others in the Collins collection.

On a side note, sad to say that over the course of my career, I have been responsible for the death of millions (maybe billions) of chickens and tens of thousands of cows (mostly sway back milks long past prime). I have also not been a friend to the nations level of obesity. I do ask that these facts not be held against me in any BST transactions!

Thanks,
Bob

T206 AMerican Beauty 350F Matty FrontT206 AMerican Beauty 350F Matty Back
T206 Sweet Cap 350,30 Collins SGC 40 Front

Last edited by B O'Brien; 09-12-2010 at 01:35 PM.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:12 PM
Rob Miller

Old 09-11-2010, 05:49 PM
Kenny Cole

I like animals too, and I don't hunt much anymore. I was never much of a deer hunter. However, that having been said, I don't have a problem with harvesting animals for food and to keep all of the stock healthy.

Jeff and others, IMO, its a bit hypocritical to decry hunting as you talk about when you are going to eat your next juicy steak. Just because you didn't kill it yourself doesn't mean that it isn't as dead. If you ever bothered to look at how the animals you choose to eat live their lives, I suspect that you would end up having to admit that they probably lived a much more miserable life than did the one in the scan.

Kenny
Old 09-11-2010, 06:25 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Cole View Post

Jeff and others, IMO, its a bit hypocritical to decry hunting as you talk about when you are going to eat your next juicy steak. Just because you didn't kill it yourself doesn't mean that it isn't as dead. If you ever bothered to look at how the animals you choose to eat live their lives, I suspect that you would end up having to admit that they probably lived a much more miserable life than did the one in the scan.

Kenny
Kenny, it's more than a bit hypocritical -- it's a lot hypocritical, I agree; that was sort of the point I was trying to make with my post by bringing up the dinner. And I really hope that someday, preferably soon, I can stop eating meat.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:19 PM

The only thing I was thinking was: Did he make some jerky out of some of that buck? Because if he made some jerky, I would more than be willing to trade some T206s (or whatever) for some jerky. That jerky you buy in the store is crap.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:29 PM
Kenny Cole

Jeff,

LOL, OK. I'll step down off my pedestal now.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:59 PM

Default Thought this was cool

Interesting back....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tradecard.jpg (71.7 KB, 508 views)
File Type: jpg tradecardbk.jpg (67.9 KB, 508 views)
Old 09-11-2010, 09:19 PM
Pup6913

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
The only thing I was thinking was: Did he make some jerky out of some of that buck? Because if he made some jerky, I would more than be willing to trade some T206s (or whatever) for some jerky. That jerky you buy in the store is crap.
You send me your address and I will make sure some finds its way to you in a few weeks hopefully. Season opens here on the 15.

Nothing like organic meat. Better than steriods, corn byproduct(major cause of obesity in America) and real cruelity to animals.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:10 PM

Default A terrific two-fer!

This is the first time I have posted a pick-up, but I thought these two deserved a little attention due to the Net54 connections. First of all, the 1909 Obak of Shinn is courtesy of Anthony, who went WAAAAY out of his way to make sure I ended up with it. It was one of the final two cards I needed to finish the set, and now I am down to just needing the Fitzgerald.

I was able to return the favor to another Net54'er, providing Ron with one of the two cards he needed to finish off the T207 set. And in return, heck, I got the Weaver card. A feel good story all around. Thanks guys!

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg net54140.jpg (36.7 KB, 720 views)
Old 09-12-2010, 01:13 PM
Daryle Barbee

Default ????

I didn't see the deer pix but I DEER HUNT.......I HATE SUMMER!!!!LIVE FOR WINTER AND DEER!!!....LOL..."you can't grill it if you don't kill it"----the words of one of my heroes....Uncle Ted Nugent----......no steroids....pure clean meat.... Would rather have wild game than any "bred to be slaughtered" beef or pork any day....burns me up when someone yells its wrong to hunt and harvest the animal that provides the meat you want on your table and then go out and order that steroid laced steak, pork or chicken....and by the way, chickens and pigs are two of the nastiest animals on earth...I know, my Grandfather raised both....and nasty cows are right up there with 'em...but anyway, whats the difference.....somebody had to kill it.....slaughter it while it was strapped down or led into a "slaughter house" to have its throat cut and then hung upside down so it could "bleed out"....at least when we hunt we're in their house...they actually have the advantage....a smart deer knows when hunters enter "their" woods (and 99% of them are smart...or atleast the ones that aren't hand-fed like the deer on these ranches these so called "experts" hunt on TV...come to Northeast Alabama and hunt these mountains....what I thought...they won't)...personally, I think a deer is one of the most beautiful animals on the face of the earth and I have let a bunch walk by me and never raise the rifle of bow....but God, you do believe in God don't you?....put the animals here for a reason....and it was more than to be just admired.....it was to satisfy our need to EAT!!!(Acts 10:9-13)...OK, I'm done venting....this post was not personally directed at anyone.....just irks me to the bone to read or listen to this crap....I have nothing against anyone on this forum (or anyone that doesn't believe in hunting) and I am friends with everyone on here (even the ones I've never dealt with) and have friends that don't or won't hunt or eat wild game.....may it not have an impact on any future dealings.....I'll be quiet now and go back to shooting my bow....deer season begins in 32 days in 'Bama.....OH!!!!....and ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!!and happy collecting.....and I won't be back to this thread to read folllow-up comments because I really don't like arguing...and I will disregard any emails or PMs and then laugh about it...I'm done with this conversation and I will never bring this topic up again on here...its for vintage cards...not hunting.....want to see my deer pix go to my Facebook or Myspace pages
Old 09-12-2010, 03:09 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdogg View Post
they actually have the advantage....
Give those nasty animals guns and opposable thumbs and then maybe they'll have the advantage. And no animal is as nasty as humans.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:39 PM
Danny Gr|mes

old mill chase silk...

Last edited by refz; 06-26-2022 at 04:53 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:50 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Danny, nice one -- and not found too often.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Danny, nice one -- and not found too often.
Commenting on a Chase card ... again. What a one-trick pony.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:51 PM
Sean Brennan

Danny is beginning to be the go to man for Chase cards
Old 09-12-2010, 06:55 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
Commenting on a Chase card ... again. What a one-trick pony.

Nope, he does Cobb, Chase, deer, fighting chickens and Mastro monkeys -- that is one diverse NY lawyer.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:01 PM

Dont mean to go off topic here, but in relation to Wolfdogg input, I went to a Nugent concert about 2 mos ago with wife, the concert had a film of his hunting deer. I've been to concerts since 1979 and never seen anything like it.
Would be cool to see a film in a concert about card collecting. Nah, dont think it will ever happen.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:26 PM
Johnny S

Default My first cobb ever !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope no one is offended that all these years collecting it took me so long to get my first Cobb !! When I saw this one I couldn't resist, I always thought the 'bat off' or E95 would be my first one and never would've guessed it would be the Red Portrait but it was such a stunning card I had to get it, I just love it !!!!!! The E95 Collins is pretty nice as well, the back isn't the greatest but what great color and image on the front, what a great mail day !

Old 09-13-2010, 01:35 PM

Nice pick up Johnny. Glad to see the Pick-Up thread is back on cards.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:08 PM
Gr.eg Per.ry

Congrats on your first Cobb Johnny! It is a very nice example for the grade.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:44 PM
Barry Sloate

Yikes! Hadn't looked at this thread until today and it really was a train wreck. Glad to see you guys are done chewing the fat.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:50 PM
Rhett Yeakley

I don't think there will ever be a more appropriate thread to post these new pickups. These were recently found in a small grouping which had it's origin in the Elmer Flick estate as it also had some personal items of Flick himself.

WARNING: don't look if you don't like hunting or are especially fond of foxes...

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 09-13-2010, 04:17 PM
Phil Garry

Cool items, Rhett. Very nice
Old 09-13-2010, 05:55 PM
Bill Hedin

Default Elmer Flick's dog

Great photos! His dog looks like my hound, Holly!
Old 09-13-2010, 07:26 PM
Jeff

Here's a beauty Home Run Baker I picked up on ebay last Friday!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1909E90-1AmericanCaramelHomeRunBakerPSA3.jpg (77.3 KB, 545 views)

Always looking for interesting pre-war baseball & hockey postcards!
Old 09-13-2010, 07:35 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Great Flick items Rhett!
Old 09-14-2010, 06:57 AM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Just got this puppy back from PSA - been waiting for one at a "decent" price for a long time.

The PSA population for Game 2 is 7 now. If anyone has access to their population report, can you tell me how many total stubs from the 1919 Series have been encaps by them, just curious.

I'll spend over a grand for the ticket, but I can't justify $4.95 for the pop report. It's like I spend a 300 or a grand for a program or something, yet I drive to the grocery instead of the gas station cuz milk is 50 cents cheaper.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1919stub3.jpg (78.0 KB, 485 views)
Old 09-14-2010, 10:25 AM
Matt Hall

30 total.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:04 PM

I got two of the E98s on ebay this morning but an earlier bird made off with the red Lajoie Fronts look pretty nice and backs have a little extraneous tape on top and bottom border, but not bad.

Last edited by tbob; 09-14-2010 at 12:35 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:23 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Default Southern Comfort

From our own Ted Z, Southern leaguers all:

Old 09-14-2010, 06:23 PM

Old 09-14-2010, 08:22 PM
CHRIS AGARD

Default 1974 cincinnati reds world series pennant

I picked this up today. I was told the 2 signatures on it were the sports announcers for the REDS. WAYNE KIRBY and MARTY BRENNAMAN. What do you think ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY1906.jpg (77.3 KB, 590 views)
File Type: jpg SANY1907.jpg (65.7 KB, 590 views)
File Type: jpg SANY1908.jpg (63.9 KB, 592 views)
File Type: jpg SANY1909.jpg (75.0 KB, 590 views)
Old 09-14-2010, 10:47 PM
Jeff

Default 1905 J.T. Dye New York Giants Postcard

Here's another B/S/T pick-up. I understand this is one of the first baseball postcards made. Thanks Turner!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GiantsPostcard.jpg (79.5 KB, 570 views)

Last edited by jb217676; 09-14-2010 at 10:47 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:37 AM
Jeff

Default 1909 PC758 Max Stein Buck Weaver Postcard

By far my best postcard. This is the only example of a 1909 Max Stein Buck Weaver postcard graded by PSA. Love the images on this one! Seller mailed it today and I really can't wait to get it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BuckWeaver.jpg (78.6 KB, 525 views)

Old 09-15-2010, 07:14 PM

Those postcards are absolutely amazing, Jeff. Congrats!

Added this one today:

Old 09-15-2010, 09:30 PM
Jeff

Default Lots of mail this week!

Here are three more pick-ups. The W554 features that classic Jimmy Foxx pose and is the highest graded example by SGC. The T205 Zach Wheat was a B/S/T purchase from Tony Andrea (thanks Tony!) and the 1934 Detroit Tigers Annis-Furs card is from ebay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1930W554JimmyFoxxSGC50.jpg (68.7 KB, 446 views)
File Type: jpg 1911T205PolarBearZachWheatSGC40.jpg (69.2 KB, 444 views)
File Type: jpg AnnisFursTigers.jpg (70.8 KB, 446 views)

Old 09-15-2010, 11:02 PM
Matt Hall

Great PC Jeff!
Old 09-16-2010, 10:27 PM
Ross B.

Default Here are three of mine...

Here are three of mine...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg texas1.jpg (62.3 KB, 321 views)
File Type: jpg texas2.jpg (36.9 KB, 318 views)
File Type: jpg texas3.jpg (38.5 KB, 320 views)

Last edited by Leon; 09-17-2010 at 06:55 AM. Reason: resized pictures