NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-13-2020, 07:14 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default Breaking News - Cleveland Indians

ugh.......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (18.2 KB, 932 views)
Old 12-13-2020, 07:17 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Bring back the NAPS.
Old 12-13-2020, 07:18 PM
Jack Vernon

I really didn't wanna have to start doing an Old Judge run yet but if Spiders wins I guess I'm obligated
Old 12-13-2020, 07:21 PM
Chris
Ch.ris Pa.rtin

This will do nothing for anyone. Just a total cave to the sjw movement. 105 years. Hope they never see the WS again. Are the Braves next?
Old 12-13-2020, 07:28 PM
Scott Ti3k

Quote:
Originally Posted by campyfan39 View Post
This will do nothing for anyone. Just a total cave to the sjw movement. 105 years. Hope they never see the WS again. Are the Braves next?
It doesn't hurt anyone either. Why are you so angry about this? SMH
Old 12-13-2020, 07:36 PM
Chris
Ch.ris Pa.rtin

Not angry at all. I just hate to see pointless concessions made to try to appease. It never works. I am also a history buff and with all the expansion and teams moving etc it’s sad to see one of the oldest teams in the league change their name. Why do you care enough to quote me and attempt to interpret my motives and emotions?
Old 12-13-2020, 07:39 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

And how long until the Buffalo Bills name has to be changed because it's so sexist??!! Maybe they should be called the Western NY Non-Gender Specific Team???

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 12-14-2020, 06:40 AM

Quote:
If it gets rid of the tomahawk chop, that would be a good thing.

Cleveland's nickname is dumb. An Indian is a person from India, not a Native American. Also, the team wasn't named to honor a former player. That myth has been debunked.

Columbus may have failed at Math, but why should we perpetuate his ignorance? The Greeks had proven the Earth was round by the 6th century BC. They had discovered the Earth's circumference by the 2nd century BC. If the Italian's were so enlightened, why wasn't this well known in Italy in the 15th century AD?
Old 12-14-2020, 07:00 AM
Doug

Cleveland Americans?
Old 12-14-2020, 11:18 AM
Bob
Bob Comm.entucci

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
If it gets rid of the tomahawk chop, that would be a good thing.

Cleveland's nickname is dumb. An Indian is a person from India, not a Native American. Also, the team wasn't named to honor a former player. That myth has been debunked.

Columbus may have failed at Math, but why should we perpetuate his ignorance? The Greeks had proven the Earth was round by the 6th century BC. They had discovered the Earth's circumference by the 2nd century BC. If the Italian's were so enlightened, why wasn't this well known in Italy in the 15th century AD?
I'm dizzy from shaking my head over this tripe. You do know Columbus sailed for the King & Queen Spain right? It had nothing to do with proving the Earth was round. Most living people can't come close to having the stones that Columbus did.
Old 12-17-2020, 01:16 PM
Josh Adams

Quote:
I sure hope so! Change come gradually. but change comes. Good for Cleveland.
Old 12-13-2020, 07:45 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

It will be fun to see what new name the franchise comes up with. What is lost in tradition, mainly to older fans, will be replaced with a nickname of greater excitement and relevance to younger generations.

From what I can tell nothing permanently bad came of renaming other franchises in the past. It will be something to get used to and then have bigger things to worry about.

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 12-13-2020, 08:19 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Names and traditions matter.

In 50 years it will be ancient history, but would you rather be a New York Yankee or a Cleveland Drum Stick....or whatever they are going to come up with.
Old 12-13-2020, 08:41 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I know people get fired up about these things, especially with regard to Native Americans, and I certainly don't want to start a fight, but the question must be asked. When the snowball starts rolling downhill, when is it ever going to stop? And who is going to decide where it stops? Some snowflake who thinks 'Yankees' is offensive, because she's a southerner? A dog lover who finds 'Panthers,' 'Lions' and 'Jaguars' hateful to his sensibilities? My last name is Irish. Should I be p*ssed off to hell at Notre Dame or the Boston Celtics? No freakin' way!!! You can take each and every name in sports and find some pathetic reason to call it offensive. When will it ever stop??? Of course, there will be those of you who say anything referencing Indians is just on a whole different level, but is it really? Watch the floodgates open.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; 12-13-2020 at 08:42 PM.
Old 12-13-2020, 09:07 PM

I'm sure that most members of the indigenous community would not object if properly aware of/informed of the meaning behind the team name, and they should definitely have the final say in the matter. Was it not originally meant in the club's spirit of solidarity behind their Native teammate? Who is raising the bigger stink--I'm thinking it's more the PC crowd than anything else.

I totally understand abolishing "Redskins". That is offensive. While the term "Indians" is assuredly outdated, it's not the end of the world. First Nations people still use the term to refer to themselves. It's an incorrect term (we all know how it came to be), but it was never applied with racist intent from the inception of its use.

The Cleveland Sockalexii just doesn't have the same ring to it...

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 12-13-2020 at 09:18 PM.
Old 12-13-2020, 09:11 PM
Pete Sycks

Cleveland disappointments. Straight and accurate.

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 12-13-2020, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCox3 View Post
I'm sure that most members of the indigenous community would not object if properly aware of/informed of the meaning behind the team name, and they should definitely have the final say in the matter. Was it not originally meant in the club's spirit of solidarity behind their Native teammate? Who is raising the bigger stink--I'm thinking it's more the PC crowd than anything else.

I totally understand abolishing "Redskins". That is offensive. While the term "Indians" is assuredly outdated, it's not the end of the world. First Nations people still use the term to refer to themselves. It's an incorrect term (we all know how it came to be), but it was never applied with racist intent from the inception of its use.

The Cleveland Sockalexii just doesn't have the same ring to it...
The last I heard, something like 90% of Native Americans were not offended by the names of the Indians, Braves, etc., even without necessarily knowing about Sockalexis. Who exactly are the owners of the Indians appeasing? I think it's more virtue signaling.
Old 12-13-2020, 09:25 PM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
but the question must be asked. When the snowball starts rolling downhill, when is it ever going to stop? And who is going to decide where it stops?
It never stops at a reasonable time. One thing that is certain about human nature: whenever a major societal issue is fixed, people will go way too far the other direction (as the herd mentality and social pressures to jump on that snowball are too much to stop)
Old 12-13-2020, 09:45 PM
E. Angyal

Default I find it curious....

That they are doing it in a year where they are going to have a big salary dump. They are not going to be competiteve and I think some of the timing is to take attention away from the product they will be putting on the field.

Angyale
Old 12-13-2020, 09:57 PM
β.Γ.Ҽ.Ո.Ť Ḋ.Ÿ.Σ

I completely understand abandoning the Redskins name, and any mascot that depicts Native Americans in a bad light. However, I don’t understand the Indian aspect. It is just a name that Columbus coined, because he thought he landed in the Indies. He didn’t mean it in a derogatory way. Is the term Indian now unacceptable and political incorrect in every sense of its use? I’m not being flippant; I really don’t understand.
Old 12-13-2020, 09:53 PM
Ryan Phi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
I know people get fired up about these things, especially with regard to Native Americans, and I certainly don't want to start a fight, but the question must be asked. When the snowball starts rolling downhill, when is it ever going to stop? And who is going to decide where it stops? Some snowflake who thinks 'Yankees' is offensive, because she's a southerner? A dog lover who finds 'Panthers,' 'Lions' and 'Jaguars' hateful to his sensibilities? My last name is Irish. Should I be p*ssed off to hell at Notre Dame or the Boston Celtics? No freakin' way!!! You can take each and every name in sports and find some pathetic reason to call it offensive. When will it ever stop??? Of course, there will be those of you who say anything referencing Indians is just on a whole different level, but is it really? Watch the floodgates open.
Pretty much agree with you on this. One of the reasons I left the US and only make occasional trips back to attend MLB games or sports collector shows. Im on the other side of the world now, manage a team that consists of 6 different religions, 8 different ethnicities, and we all celebrate each others holidays etc and we all get along. Try doing that in the US.

Tickets/Stubs:
Hank Aaron 714 HR
Hank Aaron 715 HR
Gehrig Appreciate Day
Shot Heard Round the World
1975 WS Game 6
1st All Star Game 1933
1986 WS Game 6
1988 WS Game 1
Dents HR 1978
Harvey Haddix May 29, 1959
Babe Ruth Called Shot
1955 WS Game 7
Bartman Game - Cubs
Billy Goat Game - Cubs
Black Cat Game - Cubs
Ray Chapman Hit
Brett Pine Tar Game
Merkles Boner
Old 12-13-2020, 10:30 PM

The announcement is anticlimactic. The movement and support for this change developed over decades. It was just a matter of timing.