NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-07-2006, 06:08 AM
Administrator

Default The Thread for Very Hungry New Yorkers

Posted By: Mark

Very Interested....

Old 11-07-2006, 07:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

Michael Sarno
any date
any place
any type of food

...doesn't get anymore flexible than that...

Old 11-07-2006, 07:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jon Canfield

NAME: Jon Canfield
Preferred Date: Any day, although WEEKENDS are easier
Preferred Time: 7PM
Preferred Restaurant: As long as they serve food, I'm happy

Old 11-07-2006, 07:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

That's pretty flexible. I just got off the phone with Jeff Lichtman and he will be calling a couple of places today to see if we can get a good arrangement for Dec 9. If he does, we are just going to go with that date. If not, we'll put it back up for discussion. I know that will knock a few people out, and I apologize for that, but if we switch it to the 6th or 7th, that will knock a couple of different people out. It will be impossible to find a day that everyone can make. I don't know how else to do this. That said, everyone is still free to suggest something. I don't want this to be about my schedule, it's for the board. I just think at this point it's better to pick a date rather than to continue to change it each time a new poster comes on.

Old 11-07-2006, 08:33 AM
Administrator

agreed: sat. dec 9th.

Old 11-07-2006, 09:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Robert S

With so many New Yorkers, we could have get-togethers on a more regular basis. There could be a monthly, bi-monthly or quarterly get-together at a restaurant or bar, alternating between weekends and weekdays...

Old 11-07-2006, 09:29 AM
Administrator

That's actually a good idea, to have another dinner at some point during the week. But I don't know how many times you'll get people to come before they get tired of it. Bi-monthly might be tough to maintain.

Old 11-07-2006, 09:32 AM
Administrator

i like the idea...let's do it.

Old 11-07-2006, 09:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimCrandell

Why aren't we having a vote on this.

Don't most people have weekend plans?

I don't understand why you are railroading this through.

Cancel all my auction bids!!!!

Old 11-07-2006, 09:53 AM
Administrator

I don't think you bid... I don't object to a vote and to be perfectly honest I don't even want to be in charge of this. I volunteered originally because I thought I would be helping out but I bit off more than I could chew. Jeff Lichtman is trying to get us a reservation today for Dec 9. Yesterday you requested a vote but maybe two or three people responded. So we can't even get the group to express their opinions. If someone else wants to take this over, I would be happy to abdicate my position. I'm tired, too.

Old 11-07-2006, 10:00 AM
Administrator

I was just thinking that this thread could be the basis for a "Seinfeld" episode. It has all the ingredients: a bunch of New Yorkers wrapped up in their own agendas. And it's funny too.

Old 11-07-2006, 10:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Try moderating the board for about a week ......I agree with Jim though....maybe you have a quick (today and tomorrow) vote on when to have it. I vote for the 9th....and I hear my good friend Jay Miller wants it to be on the 9th also.....I knew I liked him for some reason...

edited typo

Old 11-07-2006, 10:20 AM
Administrator

my vote: dec. 9th...think of it this way too, it is a saturday night, we don't have to retire early as we might have if it were a weekday, no rushing, no pressure to get home early...saturday is much better. great meal, drinks, maybe even a cigar or two...and don't forget to each bring a cool card of your choice, for show & tell...will be so much fun!

p.s. we can alternate, next time we do dinner, it can be during the week, then the following time, weekend, that way over the course of a few months, everyone can come...(i plan to make everyone of course )

Old 11-07-2006, 10:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Can we have a vote on whether or not we should take a vote?

Old 11-07-2006, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Just got off the phone with Morton's: they are willing to cancel one of their seatings on Dec 9 in order to give us a room with a table that seats 16 for the night. Minimum charge (which we'll top with steaks, drinks,etc) is $1750 for the 16 people at the table. I'll need to lock this up quickly so let's have our vote on the vote. On the vote. On the vote, etc.

Old 11-07-2006, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Jeff- we don't have an exact head count, and it could be more or less than 16 people. Is this the best way to go? I'm leaving it for the group to decide. I'm in if everyone else is.

Old 11-07-2006, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob NYC

I would prefer Thursday or Friday. Unlike most, I work on Sundays. But Saturday is fine.

Old 11-07-2006, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Hey Jeff,
We appreciate your valient efforts on securing a place to dine. I just spoke to Barry on the phone. We think the Morton's scenario might be a little more than some folks want to spend on a dinner and drinks. Also, if only 12 show up then it would be about $145 ea....that's a little pricey. I think we should look at Michael's friends establishment to see if it can fit the bill. Assuming, and it's not official yet, that it's on the 9th then I will be attending. (Jim- I hope you can break away for a few hours to dine with us). There is no way I could take more than a day off of work...but if the majority want a weekday, as I said before, I will politely bow out...no big deal. Finding a venue where we can all talk and get to know one another is far more important than the meal itself. best regards

Old 11-07-2006, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Leon, nothing is set in stone yet, so whatever the majority wants is fine by me.

Old 11-07-2006, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: J9imCrandell

Barry,

You lost my "top all" bids on the 28 lots I bid on?

I don't know why we wouldn't vote on having it on a weekday.

We have 2 Christmas/Holiday parties on that evening to go to and I can't be the only one with party invites that night. Plus we are out of state at college event Saturday until 6pm.

A weekday is perfect--lets vote.

Old 11-07-2006, 12:10 PM
Administrator

wow, let's see if we can hit 200 posts for this...haha.

http://www.dukesnyc.com/

one of my closest friend's manages their location @ 37th st. & 3rd ave...great food, fun atmosphere, many flat screens...PLUS, i am sure he'll hook us up...take a look & let me know...

Old 11-07-2006, 12:19 PM
Administrator

Hmmm...interesting Web site for that Duke's...hmm....

Old 11-07-2006, 12:23 PM
Administrator

trust me, i dine quite well usually (del posto, jean-georges, china grill, etc)...BUT for a fun time, good food, and cheap bill, Duke's is a great option...

just was a suggestion, keep the ideas coming if you all disagree with Duke's...

Old 11-07-2006, 12:34 PM
Administrator

On the website there is a beer bottle with a half naked woman in leather with a whip. Will she be there to take orders? I vote for Duke's and Dec 9, let everyone else vote as they please. As I told Leon I don't want to make the decision here, but to just cast my vote.

Old 11-07-2006, 12:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Corey R. Shanus

Leon,

Let's first have a few new polls done: (1) are baseball get-to-gethers more fun on weekdays or weekends, (2) should baseball get-to-gethers take place at expensive restaurants or moderately-priced restaurants, (3) should the night the dinner takes place (weekend or weekday) have a bearing on whether the restaurant is expensive or moderately-priced, (4) should whether the restaurant is expensive or moderately priced impact whether it is scheduled for a weekend or weekday night, (5) should we take a weighted average of the cholesterol level of all potential attendees (the older the person, the greater weight to be given to his/her cholesterol) to determine whether it is too high to meet at a steak restaurant, (6) should the date be within a certain period after the closing of a major auction so as to give us more to talk about.

Once we have tabulated the results of these polls, and it's probably best not to run them simultaneously but sequentially, we should then have threads discussing the results of each. Then, my vote is that we at that point vote when and where to have the dinner.

Old 11-07-2006, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Let's first take a poll to determine if we should recognize Corey's poll. I just decided that on Dec 9 I'm going to stay home, order Chinese take-out, and watch I Love Lucy reruns on TVLand. All board members are welcome to come over and join me.

Old 11-07-2006, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

Barry

Szechuan or Cantonese?

Old 11-07-2006, 01:00 PM
Administrator

Max- At this point I'm too tired to choose. Maybe the board could vote on it: Do you think my take out should be Cantonese or Szcheuan?

Old 11-07-2006, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob NYC

Hunan beef is awesome.

Old 11-07-2006, 01:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jon Canfield

I guess I'll be vote #3 (or #4, whatever it is...). December 9th, 7pm - Dukes.

Old 11-07-2006, 01:20 PM
Administrator

Corey- your poll questions:

Let's first have a few new polls done: (1) are baseball get-to-gethers more fun on weekdays or weekends, (2) should baseball get-to-gethers take place at expensive restaurants or moderately-priced restaurants, (3) should the night the dinner takes place (weekend or weekday) have a bearing on whether the restaurant is expensive or moderately-priced, (4) should whether the restaurant is expensive or moderately priced impact whether it is scheduled for a weekend or weekday night, (5) should we take a weighted average of the cholesterol level of all potential attendees (the older the person, the greater weight to be given to his/her cholesterol) to determine whether it is too high to meet at a steak restaurant, (6) should the date be within a certain period after the closing of a major auction so as to give us more to talk about.

Answers:

1. Either
2. Moderately priced
3. No
4. No
5. No (I am already on cholesterol medicine and can get more for anyone that would like some)
6. No...plenty to always talk about....

btw, are you joining us (or "them" if I don't make it)?

Old 11-07-2006, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Corey, how dare you gum up the works on this very lucid thread? We had just been making such progress, too, before your insipid additional polls were suggested! Barry, I'm starting to think I may have to come down to Brooklyn with Ted one of these days and strap on a feedbag at Luger's. Anyone want to join us? We're thinking about doing it on December 6. Or December 9. Or December 12. Or.....

Old 11-07-2006, 01:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Corey R. Shanus

Will try to, though if it is a Sat. night will have to see if it conflicts with other plans and will also need to figure out some tactful/loving way to tell my wife I prefer the company of baseball card people over her.

Old 11-07-2006, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Jeff- I'm always game for Luger's...but getting back to business, will this net54 dinner ever take place? Would somebody other than me like to take charge and decide this? It's going to take 200 posts to pick a restaurant and a date. How do you think we look to other board members from around the country. They are probably muttering to themselves "look at these crazy New Yorkers."

Old 11-07-2006, 01:46 PM
Administrator

that is where i will be, anyone care to join me?

Old 11-07-2006, 02:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Doug

"Duke's 7pm Dec. 9th November 6 2006, 4:46 PM That is where i will be, anyone care to join me?"

Jeff, wish I could. Any chance you could move the location? I'm in California. New York isn't working for me!

East Coasters have all the fun.

Doug

Old 11-07-2006, 02:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: edacra

See Barry should have just committed to being party director and made the arrangements for Wolfgang's or Lugar, take it or leave it.

Duke's is a little bit in the vain of a TGIF Fridays... that said, it is comfort food, and they're used to big groups during the holidays! They also have two locations.

As a back up, there's always Park Avenue Country Club. http://parkavenuecountryclub.com/
That's where the Yankees have their Xmas party, and it will appeal to both those who want fine dining (they try) and those who want 400 big screens of sporting events around them. The place is massive.

(and as frusterating as this thread must be for some, I kind of like all the OT talk about fun places in NYC. Everyone visits eventually.)

Old 11-07-2006, 02:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Griffin's

Doug, you just need to throw one, we'll all be happy to drive up there!

Best of luck in NYC guys, wish I could be there.

Old 11-07-2006, 02:45 PM
Administrator

Michael- I'll be there too. I think they listed two locations on the website. Let's all at least go to the right one.

Old 11-07-2006, 02:49 PM
Administrator

sorry, it's on 37th st. & 3rd ave (murray hill location)...will be fun, great food & drinks, trust me!

next time we'll do a steakhouse on a weekday, that should satisfy the others who don't want duke's & can't make it on a weekend...

Old 11-07-2006, 03:07 PM
Administrator

Okay- I think it will be Duke's, Dec 9 at 7:00 PM. Here is the list so far of the people attending: Barry Sloate, Michael Sarno, Leon Luckey, Bruce Dorskind, Jeff Lichtman, Ted Zanidakis, George Altemose, Bob Pomilla, Jon Canfield, and Rob Fouch. If you are on the list and coming, no need to reply. If you want off the list, please email me or post on the board. If you are not on the list and want in, same deal. If this restaurant doesn't work, I'm taking my bat and my ball and I'm going home.

Old 11-07-2006, 03:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Pomilla

"On the website there is a beer bottle with a half naked woman in leather with a whip. Will she be there to take orders?"

Actually, Barry, with that equipment, I think she might be GIVING orders.

Old 11-07-2006, 03:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Robert S

Guys--

I've been to Duke's -- both of them. I have no problem with either of 'em. They are what they are, a good southern style BBQ (although they don't know how to spell their own neighborhood for the restaurant downtown -- it's Gramercy with one 'm').

However...there won't be enough room for a big crowd. If a big crowd shows up, its members will have to eat out on the sidewalk. Especially on a Saturday night...

Old 11-07-2006, 03:31 PM
Administrator

So respond to me for the 6th and I will make the reservations--whoops I missed it has the vote occurred or is Barry ramming Saturday night down our throats?????

Old 11-07-2006, 03:31 PM
Administrator

That's a good point Bob, but as long as she's there, we'll worry about the details later. As far as Duke's being crowded on a Saturday night, everything is crowded on a Saturday night. I think that goes with the territory. But Michael says he has a friend there, so why doesn't he tell us what to expect. As long as the place isn't blasting hip-hop, let's anticipate a lively crowd.

Old 11-07-2006, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Jim- I was extra careful to make sure somebody else picked this place. Notice how I only voted. Isn't that politically correct? But I do look forward to dining with you as planned, sometime in the next few weeks, and we can always try this again on a weeknight sometime down the road.

Old 11-07-2006, 03:38 PM
Administrator

Guys, I think the only way to avoid a real crush on a Saturday night in Manhattan during holiday season is to get a private room within a restaurant. If we go to a place that is packed wall to wall with TVs blaring, etc., we might as well eat at home - we'll be able to communicate with each other as effectively. At this point, I don't have a problem with when or where as long as we can have a peaceful meal and actually be able to talk - isn't that the point of this anyway?

Old 11-07-2006, 03:47 PM
Administrator

Barry,

I could care less where it is,

There are two people who could not make it on Saturday--none as I remember that cannot make it on Wednesday--yet you keep repeating Saturday--

Its not fair that Saturday night is being rammed down our throats when I don't remember anyone who could not make it on Wednesday or Thursday.

Lets hear who cannot make it on Wednesday or Thursday--otherwise I move we do it either one of those two nights.

Old 11-07-2006, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Guys- I'm out. Whichever night you have the dinner, enjoy and please tell me about it. Regards, Barry

Old 11-07-2006, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian