NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-05-2007, 05:25 AM
Administrator

Default The projection is August 4th!

Posted By: Rob

Just cuz someone SAYS they'd like to get tested doesn't mean they weren't/aren't doing performance-enhancing drugs.

My favorite was Rafael Palmeiro pointing his finger in a congressional hearing saying he didn't do steriods. mmm hmmmmm

Old 04-06-2007, 04:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Barry's hit 735. Unofficial Countdown. Mr. Idelson or somebody else from the Hall of Fame plans to be present when 755 is hit even if Bud Selig isn't.

Peter

Old 04-09-2007, 10:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koteles

who is supposed to be a great role model for kids?....the rapper with his underwears down his knees,basketballs Iverson and Anthony,the UFC,COnrad Dobler(he spit on everyone when he tackled them),MTV computers and twinkees ? You are. Now go and play catch with your son ,have dinners all gathered at the table,read to them nightly .If you are spending CORRECT time with them ,they will not thinking Barry Bonds .It is an American responsibiltiy to fathers to get their kids involved, get them back on the diamonds, playgrounds, just even outside.

The thing that irks me about this whole situation with Bonds is that they have been picking on him for too long, they made the new rules regarding this issue, and now that they are in place and no evidence or punishemnt were issued before the rules took place, it is time to move on. For 3-4 years ,alls that you here is Barry bonds. It is this constant harrassment that takes away form the headlines of a new season. He would still of hit over 750
without them.

Besides, in a few short years ,baseball will will have different divisions. The 6 team American division, the 50 team hispanic,the 90 team Dominican republic,the 45 team CUban (After Castro). All because noone wants to teach their kids to be outside and enjoy life. American tradition is baseball, life is baseball ,baseball is life. Now go paint a little EAster bunny on a ball, get yer boys and girls outside, hug them and play catch with them.

Oh and don't forget to watch Bonds break the record this year !

Happy Easter !

Old 04-10-2007, 07:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ed

The legacy of Ruth will prevail over all, even when he slips to #3. Nuf said.

Old 04-10-2007, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve f

It'll be a glorious day.

Old 04-10-2007, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John H.

Joann,

Rooting for Bonds because you don't care for Aaron...now there's a different point of view! You might be the only baseball fan in the world able to honestly make that statement.

Aaron had horrible abuse heaped upon him for no other reason than the color of his skin while Bonds has gone out of his way to make himself universally unpopular and yet he is still cheered in San Francisco. Nowhere else, mind you, but the locals still like him. Probably because they all figure they're going to catch No. 756.

Regarding steroids and their benefits; no, I don't think they help hand-eye coordination much but they can increase bat speed and that increases the distance the ball travels. I think the proof's in the pudding when it comes to the homerun totals of the late 90's and the early 00's.

John

Old 04-10-2007, 02:10 PM
Administrator

Joann,

I'll give you a layperson's view as to why you really don't care. Your not a frustrated jock like most of us on this forum are.

I'll admit it I was one of those frustrated jocks that couldn't make the first string. It didn't make what the sport was Football, Baseball etc. I couldn't make the first string.

Actually I take it back I was first string playing basketball in 6th grade.

You frustrated jocks out there just hate Barry because he's always been on the varsity and he still cheated...come to think of it, that's a pretty good reason.

Peter

Old 04-11-2007, 04:46 PM
Administrator

Guys,

So far we know that Aaron doesn't plan to show for Barry's record breaking home run. We know that Bud Selig is unlikely to show. Besides the two teams playing is there anybody that plans to be present...

Peter

Old 04-11-2007, 04:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Evanov

The entire staff of Balco and the "Human Growth Hormone Fan Club."

Frank

Old 04-11-2007, 05:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris Counts

I would think that Bud Selig's job description would compel him to come and watch Bonds hit the home run. He must do something to justify that obscene eight figure salary he gets. Is he paid that much to simply sit around and decline comment on any controversial subject?

By the way, Peter, how come Joann can't be a jock?

Joann, I agree with a lot of what you say. I think the whole steroid thing is way overblown. I also don't really care who used steroids. In the world of drugs, I believe that what goes up must come down, and I can't believe any player benefits long-term from using steroids (see Ken Caminiti). Just as I don't believe the players dating back to the 1960s who popped greenies (a friendly term for speed) received any long-term benefits ...

Yes, Bonds is a cranky individual. So was Aaron. And yes, Aaron dealt with a lot of really awful stuff, but so do a lot of people who aren't so cranky. I just hope A-Rod isn't so cranky when he gets close to the record ...

Old 04-11-2007, 10:21 PM
Administrator

Chris,

If Barry Bonds was a borderline athlete and took steroids, hardly anybody would notice. But the fact that he won several MVPs even before there was any suspicion of steroid use really gets some people upset.

It's like finding out the A+ student in one of your classes cheated and got an A++. At that point you would just like to wring the guy's neck.

Peter

Old 04-12-2007, 07:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koteles

the fact that it is going to happen.....what are you going to do ?....jump off the Peachtree Centre ?

What ban Barry ?....ban the rest of baseball. Probably 50 -70% took the roids, so what now. DO you want him to relinquish every home run and then call it a wash. He is not going to ever make the HOF so please all , DO NOT LET IT RUIN YOUR DAY. Save the seals, donate to your local animal shelters, help the vets and the homeless....forget Barry Bonds- DO SOMETHING GOOD WITH THIS TIME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

Old 04-12-2007, 07:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy

Hank Aaron was asked, what will you be doing on August 4th?

"I will most likely be playing golf in Florida"

I think I will join him as well,

great article below

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6665532?MSNHPHMA

Old 04-15-2007, 09:39 PM
Administrator

Barry hit 2 more yesterday for 737.

Peter

Old 04-20-2007, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Now BB has 738.

Peter

Old 04-20-2007, 03:15 PM
Administrator

That's Great news Peter. with any luck, the giant meteor will strike the earth first.

Old 04-20-2007, 03:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Smith

Now Steve, a giant meteor would ruin a lot of people's baseball season. I am still rooting for Bonds' heart to explode in his chest.

He knowingly ingested all that stuff so he should be the only one to suffer its effects.

Old 04-20-2007, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

With that logic the entire NFL and NBA should be abolished.

Old 04-23-2007, 12:08 PM
Administrator

Yesterday, Barry hit 739.

Peter

Old 04-23-2007, 08:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: B.C.Daniels

How about July 21th !!!!

BcD

Old 04-24-2007, 10:02 AM
Administrator

Barry hit 740 yesterday.

Peter

Old 04-24-2007, 10:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: DMcD

Peter: Are you going to update this thread every time Noble Barry jacks one? Wish you wouldn't.

Old 04-24-2007, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Okay David, if you want we can take turns.

Actually the Giants have reached .500 for the first time this season and Benitez looks like he may have the season that he's capable of. Who knows this could be our year.

Peter

Old 04-24-2007, 10:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

"I am still rooting for Bonds' heart to explode in his chest."

This is nuts.

Old 04-24-2007, 10:37 AM
Administrator

No kidding. Whatever. At any rate, it's looking more like 6/4 than 8/4.

Old 04-27-2007, 10:29 AM
Administrator

As a courtesy to Bonds haters everywhere, I will not mention who hit a home run yesterday, or which number it was.

I just love rooting for the underdog...and voila believe it or not Barry's become the underdog.

Besides I'm a diehard Giants' fan so I suppose I don't have much choice. It's genetic you know, my father was a Giants fan.

Peter

Old 04-27-2007, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: anthony

i can care less if he breaks the record or not...i hope he gets hit by a bus just after #754...and lives to be laughed at

other than that, he's a stand-up guy

Old 04-27-2007, 10:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

I do believe it was 741.

And my tickets to see the Giants in Milwaukee at the end of July are now looking like they will be too late. When I bought them I thought it was a bit early, but the way things are going the whole thing might be over by then.

Joann

Old 04-27-2007, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Chad

He says he's got one more season in him. I wouldn't bet against it. Of course, there's always Sadahara Oh for folks who hate Bonds. Or Josh Gibson if you don't mind counting all the semi-pro exhibitions and the years in Latin America. I hit 231 home runs in the neighborhood whiffle ball league in the summer of 1982, if you want to broaden your horizons a bit. I would have hit more, but the plastic A's helmet I wore to imitate Dwayne Murphy didn't fit well and often obstructed my view of the ball. I don't mind saying I was awesome!

--Chad

Old 04-27-2007, 11:10 AM
Administrator

Chad, You should be proud of your Wham-O roots.

Posted wrong video.

Old 04-27-2007, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Chad

Which was a driveway we called The Driveway.

--Chad

(That second video is completely different. Of course, I never took steroids as I was only 10 years old and afraid of needles. Just don't ask me about amphetamines.)

Old 04-30-2007, 06:16 PM
Administrator

Once again, I will not mention the person nor the home run number.

Actually Benitez has been a pleasant surprise this year.

Peter

Old 05-04-2007, 10:12 AM
Administrator

It's unfortunate, Orlando Cepeda's arrest. He's one of the black sheep in the Giant's family.

The baddest sheep however, is still Barry, who had another dinger yesterday.

Peter

Old 05-04-2007, 11:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Fred C

Wouldn't it be funny if San Francisco was in Atlanta when Bonds breaks the HR record... I wonder if Hank would be there then? Personally, I don't blame Hank for not wanting to be there because he worked for that achievement. I don't think Barry would have gotten this far without the enhancement effort. Don't get me wrong, Barry would have put up some great numbers but (IMO and I'm sure most would agree) 755 would not have been one of them.

Old 05-04-2007, 11:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Fred C

I'm sure he'll break the record before mid August (that's when San Francisco will be in Atlanta) but...

Old 05-06-2007, 02:33 PM
Administrator

Old 05-06-2007, 05:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: brock

I believe Barry the cheating Bonds will break the home run record. But you got to think how long will it last. A-rod has 474 i believe. The way hes going he could hit 800 to 850 home runs(With the yankees). Lets say a-rod hits 40 a year and plays for 8 more years that would be 794. And he'll hit more then 40 a couple of times. I think it would be great if arod could break it and bring the record back to the yank's.

Old 05-06-2007, 07:11 PM
Administrator

Here we go again...

Old 05-06-2007, 07:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

and if Bonds were playing for the Yankees, we'd hearing about how great he is, how wonderful the the record is coming back tot he Yankees and that it has never been proven that he took anything illegal. Yada yada yada yawn

It's always amazed me how people can bury their head in the sand when it comes to their local team, but everyone else has to be cheating in order to be better. The perfect case in point, Terrel Owens. You couldn't find a Cowboys fan that had anything nice to say about TO when he played for the Eagles and Niners, but as soon as TO became a Cowboy, he wonderful person and a great asset to the team.

Don't kid yourself thinking that Arod, or any other major leaguer is clean. A clean player is the exception and not the rule these days. They still can't test for HGH and lord what other PHDs they have now that can't be detected by testing. The safe bet is that Arod is spending his mega millions on those PHDs and not anything that can be tested for.

Jay

I love pinatas. You get to beat the crap of something and get rewarded with candy.

Old 05-06-2007, 07:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Jay, you are wrong about the NY press. If Bonds were in NY he'd be run out of town. The NY press is brutal and has no patience for that crap. Bonds wouldn't have lasted very long here as the scrutiny is only about 100x more than it is in SF. Just notice how ARod is treated: he's a first ballot HOFer and is abused on a daily basis in the NY papers, booed by the home fans, etc. NY is the toughest place to play in the country with the greatest rewards. That's the way it's been for a very long time.

Old 05-06-2007, 07:48 PM
Administrator

The good thing for players is that the NY media and fans have a short attention span (e.g. Giambi).

Old 05-06-2007, 08:03 PM
Administrator

Cobby, you beat me to Giambi. Yes, the NY media is brutal, but only when you don't produce and Arod didn't live up to expectations, so he got hammered by the press. Just imagine how the NY press would have reacted if Bonds had been a Yankee put up those monster seasons he had. He would be lifted on a pedestal above Ruth.

Fan is short for fanatic and the local fans and media are always looking to protect their own.

Jay

I love pinatas. You get to beat the crap of something and get rewarded with candy.

Old 05-06-2007, 08:17 PM
Administrator

Giambi was eventually given a pass because it was revealed that he told the truth in the grand jury which is more than I can say for Bonds. Giambi was pounded by the press...until there was nothing really left of him here. He's become a quietly productive player but hardly a star here. ARod has done in NY exactly what he has done his entire career -- and he only has gotten destroyed by the NY press.

Old 05-06-2007, 08:26 PM
Administrator

Aw come on, Jeff. Being a member of the defense Bar, you should know that there has not been a finding that Bonds lied to the GJ.

Old 05-06-2007, 08:43 PM
Administrator

True, but there has been a finding that he took steroids.

I hate the guy..but not necessarily cause of the 'roids because I think many guys took them. I just think he's a lowlife.

Old 05-06-2007, 09:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: doug

not on roids. Im not saying Bonds didnt take steroids, it sounds like half of baseball was taking them at some point. But Barry was an amazing player when he was skinny and one of the best hitters of all time before he hit 73 dingers.....Now he is 43 years old and on pace to maybe hit 45 more this year. I dont like him as a person,. but the guy is one of the top 5 hitters of all time, period. How many MVPs has he won? Geez.....hes awesome and his bat speed was incredible when he was in college.

Old 05-06-2007, 09:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I'm amazed that this thread is still going with the current attitude towards off topic posts on this board.

Old 05-06-2007, 09:46 PM
Administrator

well, it was here long before e current OT moratoim, and it's not going away unless Leon locks it or deletes it.

Jay

Old 05-06-2007, 09:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

So much for self-policing.

Old 05-06-2007, 09:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

The 1994 strike was a big deal. The World Series was cancelled. Fans said F-unc this. Baseball ratings were down in subsequent years, which means that advertising revenues were down too. Something had to be done. And it was. MLB juiced the ball. HRs went up. In 1998 two players hit over 60 HRs. This is statistically essentially impossible.

But it didn't stop there.

Those two players went on to each average over 60 HRs for four consecutive seasons. (Let me check the statistical no-way machine) yep, the red light is flashing.

Lets see now. Ratings and revenues are up. Time to implement the cover up. Blame steroids.

It is believable, kinda. It allows players to become stronger (that is evil). Stronger players will hit more home runs. Maybe no body will notice that half of the 500 HR club consists of players <200 lbs.

I do not buy the "juice was in the players" explanation as the complete story. I do believe that a stronger athlete will hit more HRs than a weaker athlete. But I do not believe that steroids alone can yield four consecutive seasons totalling 240 or more HRs without juice in the ball or some other physical variable outside of the player, as the greater contributing factor.