NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-10-2013, 11:53 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
We don't need, or want, potty mouths on the forum. It's that simple.
I am sooooooooooooooo thankful we are on the same page Leon. That is the #1 reason I won't frequent another board that recently popped up within the last 4 years. Seems like the few times I 'visited' it, that is all I heard! I felt like I was amongst junior high kids who cursed like the dickens because they were out of their parents earshot and just thought it was cool. Not that I a prude or anything, but you can make your point without resorting to all the vulgarities.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:56 AM
Colby Neal-Tan

Default Cursing.

Well my opinion, if I met someone new and he/she curses frequently then I automatically make the assumption they are of lower intelligence (even though they could be very well brilliant). Also, it makes me believe that they are probably melodramatic. All in all, cursing is just an unintelligent way to emphasize a point. Don't get me wrong I will curse here and there, but on this forum I try and not curse only because I respect the members and that's just how I was raised...

All in all, when it comes to it I can care less about what other people say on this forum when it comes to cursing. If they want to be "that guy" then let them do it. I don't think it's necessary to call someone out because of cursing. It's not like we're in elementary school...

By the way, I've lived in Orange County, CA for 20 years and 2 years in Oklahoma. I'd say the Midwest people don't cuss nearly as much as California people. That's just my opinion.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:06 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
Typical backward Southerners, not embracing unbridled swearing on all fronts. What will they think of next, going to church and closing their chicken restaurants on Sunday?
That is hilarious. Being from Texas, my introduction to the 'deep South' as a 28-yr old, was a huge culture shock. I've thoroughly enjoyed being able to live for extended periods in so many areas of the U.S. that are so culturally different from one another.

These discussion forums allow a blend of these different cultures that wasn't possible before the internet, and that we aren't always very aware of - it causes friction that should be expected. Not a bad thing - just something that we are still working through.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:07 PM
Chris.tian Aug.ustus

Swearing is actually awesome. I do it constantly.

But I'm also a southerner so I know better than to swear around people when I don't know what their preference towards swearing is...on this board, for example.

It's just not polite.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:11 PM
And.rew Whi.te

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ease View Post
Glenn, no offense, but there's no need to curse in every post, it actually belittles a lot of the valid points you make. I like to think of this place as the "gentleman's forum", and I think a lot of others do too. I curse a lot in real life myself, but I try to keep it to a minimum on here.
You might want to watch it.....Glenn is a 3rd generation mob family member!!!

Old 04-10-2013, 01:23 PM
Clayton

I cuss frequently but not in the wrong places or around children or elderly people. Mostly amongst friends or family, in a humorous way. Or if I'm $%#@$% pissed about something

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 04-10-2013, 02:07 PM
Eric Shaeffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehse View Post
You might want to watch it.....Glenn is a 3rd generation mob family member!!!

Glenn, I look forward to meeting you in person at the National.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:18 PM
David Pierson
Banned

I post this link just in fun and mean not to offend anyone.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HMCQKdJc20
Dave
Old 04-10-2013, 02:39 PM
Daryl

Jerry Seinfeld once said that swearing was like a Corvette.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:56 PM
Tony Ooten

I try to never curse period. I do end up using "minor" curse words occasionally but not as part of my normal vocabulary, I've used the f-word before very very very very infrequently, but my goal is to never curse.

I'm proud when my kids point out that they have never heard me curse.

Some call it being raised in a bubble, I call it common courtesy.

Ironically I work in construction and foul language is very very common. The guy who actually owns the company I work for uses the f-word in at least every third sentance.

Actually cursing bothers me 1% and perplexes me 99%. Why do people do it? I'm only an amatuer psychologist but I've often thought alot of cursing is done to mask some insecurity. Never really looked into it though
Old 04-10-2013, 03:17 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:

Glenn, I look forward to meeting you in person at the National.
I'm looking forward to meeting all of you there, but after I was hired to kill me, I had to put myself in a witness protection program, so I don't know who I am or where I am. Sorry.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:26 PM
Eric Shaeffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
I'm looking forward to meeting all of you there, but after I was hired to kill me, I had to put myself in a witness protection program, so I don't know who I am or where I am. Sorry.
I'll shake your hand anyway, Scott, or whoever you are now Scotty "The Bull" Gravano?
Old 04-10-2013, 03:32 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
I'll shake your hand anyway, Scott, or whoever you are now Scotty "The Bull" Gravano?
If I identified myself it would destroy the myth that my car(s) is better, my girlfriend more beautiful, my things cooler, my muscles huger, and my wealth more substantial, than anyone who I ever had an argument with in a discussion forum. And that is something I cannot allow to happen.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:40 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
We don't need, or want, potty mouths on the forum. It's that simple.
Sorry, Leon. I will try to clean up my language a bit.

Best,

Eric

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (190/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 04-10-2013, 04:47 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Rube
Old 04-10-2013, 04:54 PM
Ke.n K0hen

When my kids were little and I started to hear F bombs and such. I told them that I didn't much care how they talked with their little friends since I wouldn't be around to hear it and there was nothing I could do anyway. But I did make it clear that it was a reflection on me and on their upbringing.

The lesson I tried to impart was that, if you're going to cuss, you have to learn how to cuss and when to cuss.

Personally, I don't care if people cuss here, it's simply a reflection on those that do it. Just like with cheap hustlers on BST, it's part of the forum I don't care for but I'll never lose any sleep over it.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:38 PM
Glenn
Gl.en.n Willr1ch

Two and a half pages about who enjoys cussing and who doesn't.....I guess I have a strange skill of successfully hijacking threads, I've done it twice now to the OP, sorry for that. Wasn't exactly my intention, just wanted to vent a little about the "board parenting". Believe it or not to all of the "board psychologists" on here, cussing is no indication of ones wealth, social class or highest education level completed. I've met physicians and professors who have the mouths of a truck driver......I chose not to insult them by lecturing on cursing
Old 04-10-2013, 05:39 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7nohitter View Post
Rube
Old 04-10-2013, 06:20 PM
Ke.n K0hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoele$$ View Post
Two and a half pages about who enjoys cussing and who doesn't.....I guess I have a strange skill of successfully hijacking threads, I've done it twice now to the OP, sorry for that. Wasn't exactly my intention, just wanted to vent a little about the "board parenting". Believe it or not to all of the "board psychologists" on here, cussing is no indication of ones wealth, social class or highest education level completed. I've met physicians and professors who have the mouths of a truck driver......I chose not to insult them by lecturing on cursing

Why so defensive? No reason to be. It's a free country and only an internet forum. It's just that some people have notions of decorum. Its not a hard and fast rule.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:43 PM
jim frey

well...... i seldom post and really know better than to wade into the swamp, but i think this thread and a lot of others of late have turned a bit ugly not due to things like language, but rather attitude, arrogance and lack of tolerance for others' view....phew, this should get me roasted from all sides

jim frey

Last edited by buckyball1; 04-10-2013 at 06:46 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:47 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckyball1 View Post
well...... i post seldom and really know better than to wade into this swamp, but i think this thread and a lot of others of late have turned a bit ugly not due to things like language, but rather attitude, arrrogance and lack of tolerance for others' view....phew, this should get me roasted from all sides

jim frey
Jim,

Provided that nobody beats me to it, I just wanted to make sure that your first reply didn't "roast" you. I happen to think you make a valid point.

Happy collecting,

Eric
Old 04-10-2013, 06:53 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7nohitter View Post
Rube
Andrew,

I'm still confused. This comment seems to have been aimed at me.

If so, why?

Just curious...

Best Regards,

Eric

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 04-10-2013, 06:59 PM
Glenn
Gl.en.n Willr1ch

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcohen View Post
It's a free country and only an internet forum.
Best points of the entire post
Old 04-10-2013, 07:02 PM
Colby Neal-Tan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
Andrew,

I'm still confused. This comment seems to have been aimed at me.

If so, why?

Just curious...

Best Regards,

Eric
RUBE
/ro͞ob/
Noun
A country bumpkin.
Synonyms
yokel - bumpkin - hick

I don't think I've ever heard this word used to describe someone in my entire life hahaha.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:08 PM
David Pierson
Banned

Maybe he meant Rube Walker....I always kinda liked him.

To get back on topic..wild manipulation of scans is one of my pet peeves, hate it!
Old 04-10-2013, 07:13 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanman7baseball View Post
RUBE
/ro͞ob/
Noun
A country bumpkin.
Synonyms
yokel - bumpkin - hick

I don't think I've ever heard this word used to describe someone in my entire life hahaha.
Rube Foster
Rube Waddell

Both were great players.

Best,

Eric
Old 04-10-2013, 07:23 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardboard Junkie View Post
Maybe he meant Rube Walker....I always kinda liked him.

To get back on topic..wild manipulation of scans is one of my pet peeves, hate it!
David,

Thanks for the rose-colored-glasses vote of confidence here. I will resume my, "glass half-full" mindset and truly appreciate your input

As for Andrew, I will reserve judgment until he replies...and give him the benfit of the doubt here.

And thank you, David, for guiding this thread back towards the original topic. I found myself getting sidetracked. My apologies to all concerned.

Sincerely,

Eric

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 04-10-2013, 07:30 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default scanner fraud

Quote:
David,

Thanks for the rose-colored-glasses vote of confidence here. I will resume my, "glass half-full" mindset and truly appreciate your input

As for Andrew, I will reserve judgment until he replies...and give him the benfit of the doubt here.

And thank you, David, for guiding this thread back towards the original topic. I found myself getting sidetracked. My apologies to all concerned.

Sincerely,

Eric
Eric, if it's any consolation I don't know where that comment came from either. Maybe Andrew will clarify. It wasn't only you that kept the train derailed. It's a team effort around here (me included).

And thanks to David too, for getting back to topic. I think a few good things came out of this thread. And the scanner fraud that goes on needs, and has needed more light shined on it. Nice thread in that respect.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:32 PM
Glenn
Gl.en.n Willr1ch

Quote:
Rube Foster
Rube Waddell

Both were great players.

Best,

Eric
I was thinking Rube Oldring
Old 04-10-2013, 07:36 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Eric, if it's any consolation I don't know where that comment came from either. Maybe Andrew will clarify. It wasn't only you that kept the train derailed. It's a team effort around here (me included).

And thanks to David too, for getting back to topic. I think a few good things came out of this thread. And the scanner fraud that goes on needs, and has needed more light shined on it. Nice thread in that respect.
Leon,

Thank you very much for your kind words.

Sorry for momentarily losing focus.

Best Regards,

Eric
Old 04-10-2013, 08:51 PM
David Pierson
Banned

Jeesh!! Case in Point!! Although this is not prewar, it clearly demonstrates what this thread is all about.

The top is a card I sold recently for $26.00.....cheap, but as you can see by the accurate scan I posted, it had slightly brown dingy borders and the corners were soft (top left in particular).

The bottom is the same card listed by the buyer at near twice the price BIN $45.00 with a wildly manipulated scan. Bright borders and hardly noticeable soft corners.

Now I don't care about anyone making a profit, and I am used to buying high and selling low.

My beef is the manipulated scan that is fraudulently depicting the card as nicer than it really is. What say you? Dave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $T2eC16F,!zoE9s5nc3nCBRWLlZItPw~~60_57.jpg (78.0 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg $T2eC16VHJIkE9qU3kIlCBRZglnpgFw~~60_57.jpg (79.4 KB, 170 views)

Last edited by Cardboard Junkie; 04-10-2013 at 08:56 PM. Reason: correction
Old 04-10-2013, 08:55 PM
Jeff

I say - tell me who that seller is.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 04-10-2013, 08:56 PM
David Pierson
Banned

wabbitwax_2

Last edited by Cardboard Junkie; 04-10-2013 at 08:59 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:02 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
well...... i seldom post and really know better than to wade into the swamp, but i think this thread and a lot of others of late have turned a bit ugly not due to things like language, but rather attitude, arrogance and lack of tolerance for others' view....phew, this should get me roasted from all sides

jim frey
+1
Old 04-10-2013, 09:03 PM
Peter Spaeth

What do you think of pwcc scans?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:10 PM
David Pierson
Banned

I have only won one card from pwcc, but it was actually nicer than the posted scan. Dave
Old 04-10-2013, 09:16 PM
Peter Spaeth

I think his scans are overly bright and generally improve the appearance of cards.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:43 PM
Glenn
Gl.en.n Willr1ch

Quote:
I have only won one card from pwcc, but it was actually nicer than the posted scan. Dave
Same here, purchased an E90 Ed Walsh from PWCC and the card arrived in better condition in person than I expected. Advertised as Fair, looks to be an SGC 30 to my untrained eye
Old 04-10-2013, 10:12 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Quote:

jim frey
Hey Jim, well said, you should post more.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:38 PM
Clayton

Quote:
Jeesh!! Case in Point!! Although this is not prewar, it clearly demonstrates what this thread is all about.

The top is a card I sold recently for $26.00.....cheap, but as you can see by the accurate scan I posted, it had slightly brown dingy borders and the corners were soft (top left in particular).

The bottom is the same card listed by the buyer at near twice the price BIN $45.00 with a wildly manipulated scan. Bright borders and hardly noticeable soft corners.

Now I don't care about anyone making a profit, and I am used to buying high and selling low.

My beef is the manipulated scan that is fraudulently depicting the card as nicer than it really is. What say you? Dave.
Great example Dave. You can clearly see by brightening the scan, the card looks cleaner and the corners don't look as dinged up.

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 04-10-2013, 10:41 PM
David Pierson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by teetwoohsix View Post
Great example Dave. You can clearly see by brightening the scan, the card looks cleaner and the corners don't look as dinged up.

Sincerely, Clayton
Buyer/seller also won a 52T Kell in a BVG holder and has it relisted...same thing..wildly manipulated scan!
Old 04-10-2013, 10:43 PM
Clayton

Quote:
Buyer/seller also won a 52T Kell in a BVG holder and has it relisted...same thing..wildly manipulated scan!
I guess some sellers heard people saying "buy the card and not the holder" and a light bulb lit up

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 04-11-2013, 01:07 PM
Doug Goodman

The Schoendienst in question :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-Topps-9...item1c3176ca0f

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-Topps-9...item1c31b96fec

You're welcome,
Doug

Last edited by doug.goodman; 04-11-2013 at 01:08 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:31 PM
Dave

Quote:

To be honest, I think your accurate scan actually presents the card much better.

I don't know about "wildly manipulated" on the second. Just looks like a poor washed out scan to me, with the brightness maybe jacked up a notch.

They do look like two completely different cards at first glance, but I'd buy yours before I bought that second one.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:39 PM
David Pierson
Banned

Perhaps "wildly" is too strong a word, but "manipulated" for sure. Dave.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:41 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

What's the recourse? Buy the holder and not the card?
Old 04-11-2013, 01:52 PM
Doug Goodman

The only "recourse" is common sense, buyer beware, caveat emptor, use caution ahead, etc.

Shill bidding, fakes, "exaggerations'" in descriptions and images, complete lies. None of this stuff is new to the hobby. Prior to the internet, when us old guys used to buy things via snail mail, based on descriptions that used terms like vg/ex or ex/mt, instead of 5 or 6 or 7 or 8 (all of which look undergraded, of course), we got what we got, and we complained as much as we decided to, and our best recourse was sometimes to not buy things again from certain sellers. Often we continued to buy from that seller, but we knew that his ex/mt was really ex-.

In this specific case, maybe this specific seller has a crappy scanner and buyers need to be aware of that fact. Or maybe he doesn't.

But, saying something like the above on a net54 post tends to bring out a bunch of responses that make it sound like there are right and wrong answers, or that the people who lie and cheat and scam will stop doing so if we call them on it.

Grow up people.

There will never be complete honesty in any collectible "hobby", for the same reason that there will never be peace in the middle east. Because people are not generally as nice as they claim to be, or as they think others should be.

So sayeth Doug

Last edited by doug.goodman; 04-11-2013 at 02:02 PM. Reason: to remove the word "dork", so that nobody claims that I used it about them
Old 04-11-2013, 02:01 PM
Al Richter

Default Old Guys

Jeez Doug, you must be ancient. How old are you anyway
Old 04-11-2013, 02:08 PM
Belltown Vintage

well-said, Doug. Sadly, I was an idiot and didn't collect vintage cards back then, but I did buy comic books via mail. I can remember scouring the ads in the back to order their mailing lists - those were almost as cool sometimes as the actual comic books. The big problem we ran into back then was that if you found a real 'deal' on something, it had always been sold already. I'm guessing you ancient mail-in card purchasers experienced the same. Of course I was too cheap to pay for the long distance calls to check availability
Old 04-11-2013, 02:19 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
Now compare it to this one and it doesn't appear to be just the seller's (default) scanner settings.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-Philade...item1c31567153