NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-16-2020, 02:18 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
So they were morons who weren't allowed to own property? So they were morons who were denied employment? So they were morons who were denied government assistance? So they are morons because they won't be ok with being enslaved in poverty? So they are morons because they aren't ok with being mocked and demeaned? Being the majority doesn't give them the right to treat others as lesser humans.
What does any of that have to do with the name of a baseball team. And what tribe do you belong to?
Old 12-16-2020, 03:22 PM
Anson

and now the Vancouver Canucks have been asked to change their logo due to cultural appropriation. Luckily the timing is random and it's not like this has anything to do with any perceived wave of virtue signaling or social outrage stemming from being locked up in the house all year.

I'm amazed they've previously tuned out all of the Canadian native tribe's calls to right this wrong.
Old 12-17-2020, 07:54 AM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
I say they come up with 30 new nicknames, all politically correct, or what's politically correct for the time being, subject to change down the road of course.

Then there is a draft for the 30 names.

".....and the 30th pick in the MLB name draft the team formerly known as the Yankees will now be.......the Pigeons."
Sounds about right. My favorite team before I could talk or even walk, was the Yankees. It would be just my luck that I gotta put a decal of a Pigeon on my car. People won't know if I'm a fan of the baseball team formally known as the Yankees, or if I'm a butcher. What's even more sad is that there's an actual probability of this actually happening.

T206 Master Monster Front/Back Set Collector - www.youtube.com/unclenacki
T206 Basic "The Monster" Set 514/524
T206 Advanced "Master Monster" Front/Back Set ????/5258
COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Old Mill Southern Leagues - Black Ink 48/48
Sweet Caporal 350-460 Factory 30 Full Color "No Prints" 28/28
NEAR COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Polar Bear 245/250
Sovereign 460 50/52
Sweet Caporal 150 Factory 649 Overprint 31/34
Piedmont 350 "Elite 11" 9/11

Old 12-17-2020, 09:06 AM
Ke.n Su.lik

Interesting post, what yankees decal do you have on your car now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie73 View Post
Sounds about right. My favorite team before I could talk or even walk, was the Yankees. It would be just my luck that I gotta put a decal of a Pigeon on my car. People won't know if I'm a fan of the baseball team formally known as the Yankees, or if I'm a butcher. What's even more sad is that there's an actual probability of this actually happening.

Old 12-17-2020, 10:51 AM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
Interesting post, what yankees decal do you have on your car now?
Currently I have no decals on my car. It needs a good cleaning and buff/wax. So I usually remove any decals if there are any, and then replace them with something similar like a color change, or go completely different. I owned a custom auto performance shop, and a couple years back I had to close it because of some major health issues, neighbor problems, an unfortunate shooting incident, and some unfixable zoning issues with the town. I think much of the problems were related to jealousy and envy but I was really sick and that was my main priority. Then a year later, the virus hit and I've just been kind of on the side lines waiting for the right time to get back into it. So at the time, I had unlimited options. We did simple oil changes to frame off restorations, custom built kit cars, powder coatings, high temp ceramic coatings, sand blasting, bullet proof coatings, full autobody and paint booth, literally everything. Even boat and aircraft, with occasional experimental items from Pratt and other DOD contracted companies. Even firearm coatings. We did everything in house except upholstery and large machine shop work but had plans to add them to the operation. My last shop was 30K sq. ft. Now I wait to see what happens to other small business owners and if they are able to get back to where they once were. I did a lot of fleet vehicle maintenance also, for many of the local businesses and auto auctions. So it's a waiting game and hopefully one day soon, things get back to normal, but I need to make sure the money is really out there before making any life changing decisions. Here's a couple of the Yankees vinyl decal designs that I'd use. I have some others on a different hard drive but was able to design just about anything, as long as I was given an idea and direction to head in. I couldn't come up with ideas starting with a blank page. I'm not the artist in the family. I'm more of a technical and electrical hands on person but will still sit in front of a computer and design a custom logo for a new company.

T206 Master Monster Front/Back Set Collector - www.youtube.com/unclenacki
T206 Basic "The Monster" Set 514/524
T206 Advanced "Master Monster" Front/Back Set ????/5258
COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Old Mill Southern Leagues - Black Ink 48/48
Sweet Caporal 350-460 Factory 30 Full Color "No Prints" 28/28
NEAR COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Polar Bear 245/250
Sovereign 460 50/52
Sweet Caporal 150 Factory 649 Overprint 31/34
Piedmont 350 "Elite 11" 9/11

Old 12-17-2020, 12:56 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by triwak View Post
Why not consult with the leaders of the local area's prevalent Native American tribe, and if it's acceptable to them, use that tribe name as the mascot (ala the Florida Seminoles)? I thought the same thing should have been done in Washington. Seems like that would be respectful, while keeping an element of tradition.
Who's saying they didn't? Or, perhaps, the Cleveland owners didn't want to select one tribe over another?
Old 12-17-2020, 12:59 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlesteer View Post
and now the Vancouver Canucks have been asked to change their logo due to cultural appropriation.
And they've already rejected the notion along with multiple statements of support from First Nations groups.
Old 12-17-2020, 01:16 PM
Josh Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by campyfan39 View Post
This will do nothing for anyone. Just a total cave to the sjw movement. 105 years. Hope they never see the WS again. Are the Braves next?
I sure hope so! Change come gradually. but change comes. Good for Cleveland.
Old 12-17-2020, 01:57 PM
Anson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabe View Post
And they've already rejected the notion along with multiple statements of support from First Nations groups.
And what should this tell you?

Clearly a number of these requests driven by social outrage aren't coming from the group supposedly impacted.

Last edited by Throttlesteer; 12-17-2020 at 02:19 PM.
Old 12-17-2020, 03:14 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
And what should this tell you?

Clearly a number of these requests driven by social outrage aren't coming from the group supposedly impacted.
Well, in the case of the Canucks at least, that would seem to be the case.

I can't speak for the Cleveland situation.
Old 12-17-2020, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
And how long until the Buffalo Bills name has to be changed because it's so sexist??!! Maybe they should be called the Western NY Non-Gender Specific Team???

Actually the Buffalo Bills were named after Buffalo Bill Cody (ya got to go back to the original Buffalo Bills in the AAFC). Now Buffalo Bill Cody was a KILLER of Indians (or so he spent the last half of his life claiming). I mean if we are going all PC and everything...

Last edited by One 'ol Cat; 12-17-2020 at 07:27 PM.
Old 12-17-2020, 10:36 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by One 'ol Cat View Post
Actually the Buffalo Bills were named after Buffalo Bill Cody (ya got to go back to the original Buffalo Bills in the AAFC). Now Buffalo Bill Cody was a KILLER of Indians (or so he spent the last half of his life claiming). I mean if we are going all PC and everything...
Um, they're obviously named after Buffalo Bill Cody, who was a man. That is precisely why I referred to it as being 'sexist' to these freakin' SJWs.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 12-18-2020, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by One 'ol Cat View Post
Actually and in fact, this issue did get some little bit of discussion the last few years. It hasn't generated much traction, though,
perhaps mainly because Cody hadn't been much researched by the original 1940s ownership group who probably thought of Cody
as a generic cowboy tough-guy character, and now also because many -- we'd daresay most -- Bills fans don't even connect Cody
with the team name. Hey, maybe we can disavow the Cody thing and associate "Buffalo Bill" with that guy from Silence of the Lambs...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BillsAAFC01.jpg (67.5 KB, 157 views)
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/baseballgames/

Successful transactions with: bocabirdman, GrayGhost, jimivintage,
Oneofthree67, orioles93, quinnsryche, thecatspajamas, ValKehl

Last edited by Butch7999; 12-18-2020 at 01:11 AM.
Old 12-18-2020, 05:14 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Since these arguments are assinine (at best) we just need to pull the trigger on renaming all 30 teams. I suggest BBC1 thru BBC 30 and call it a day.

That oughta satisfy the woketards - well unless of course the pecking order comes into play - Why are the Yankees given the BBC1 monicar and the Marlins are BBC30???

All of these discussions make me want to throw up in my mouth (a little bit) - the entire country is falling apart BUT these are the MOST important issues of the day... FFS

and just what the hell is a Mudhen anyway?
Old 12-18-2020, 05:17 AM
Lonnie Nagel

The American coot (Fulica americana), also known as a mud hen or pouldeau, is a bird of the family Rallidae

"COOT"? Seriously?

Last edited by toledo_mudhen; 12-18-2020 at 05:18 AM.
Old 12-18-2020, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by campyfan39 View Post
This IMO is why it matters. No one was being hurt or persecuted etc. because of the name. The posts (including mine) prove that this is a political issue and not really about right and wrong.
On Net54 we have a community that is unified around the hobby and sport we love and because this name change we are now sniping at each other, divided and name calling. I just don't see what changing the name accomplishes but I do see the division it causes
No, the owner of the Cleveland baseball team discussed cultural issues with Native American groups and decided to change his team's name. That has caused a group of people to be triggered over something that is none of their concern. There is nothing political about it. Like 99% of issues on the internet, 99% of people are closed minded and will not listen to others opinions. Also, this community isn't unified around the hobby, the same thing happens in hobby related threads.
Old 12-18-2020, 08:23 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
No, the owner of the Cleveland baseball team discussed cultural issues with Native American groups and decided to change his team's name. That has caused a group of people to be triggered over something that is none of their concern. There is nothing political about it. Like 99% of issues on the internet, 99% of people are closed minded and will not listen to others opinions. Also, this community isn't unified around the hobby, the same thing happens in hobby related threads.
IF you want to keep arguing put your name out here. I hate arguing with anonymous internet people. thanks
Old 12-18-2020, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triwak View Post
Why not consult with the leaders of the local area's prevalent Native American tribe, and if it's acceptable to them, use that tribe name as the mascot (ala the Florida Seminoles)? I thought the same thing should have been done in Washington. Seems like that would be respectful, while keeping an element of tradition. I think the "one-size-fits-all" terms are partly the reason Native Americans have a problem with such terms. They don't identify that way.
That is exactly what the owner did and why the team's name is changing. Also, the largest Seminole tribe opposes the use of their name.
Old 12-18-2020, 03:15 PM
Anson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
IF you want to keep arguing put your name out here. I hate arguing with anonymous internet people. thanks

There is some irony to this, isn't there? Arguing about using someone's name without using your name.
Old 12-18-2020, 03:55 PM
Brian K

Default 2 cents

It's a mascot, I don't understand all the venom being slung around here. Chief Wahoo was offensive, and the team name marginalizes a group of people by turning their race into a caricature of a stereotype to push merchandise. In my mind, that is a wrong that is easy to fix. I'd like to think that we as a society move forward by always evolving and realizing that things that worked 10, 20, 100 years ago, doesn't necessarily work now. This is one of those cases. Go back to the Spiders, and I will be first in line to buy a hat.

Save the politics and passion for other things, a little empathy and accountability benefits all of us, even if it means we have to cheer a different name.
Old 12-18-2020, 03:56 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo_mudhen View Post
All of these discussions make me want to throw up in my mouth (a little bit) - the entire country is falling apart BUT these are the MOST important issues of the day... FFS
Who said it's the most important issue? No one.

The owner of a private business changed the business's name (basically). Happens thousands of times a year, I would imagine. This is a non-issue but you seem to think it's a major deal. Why?
Old 12-18-2020, 04:23 PM
Rob

Default Spiders

I think a return to their former name, 'Spiders', would be great. Here's a 2011 Topps Lineage of Cy Young (from eBay) and a Just So prototype for McAleer (from my pc).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg topps2011cyspiders.jpg (30.8 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg mcaleercab163.jpg (47.9 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg mcaleercabb164.jpg (68.4 KB, 103 views)
Old 12-18-2020, 06:33 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
There is some irony to this, isn't there? Arguing about using someone's name without using your name.
I think Rats60 needs a name change to Chickens60, unless he cares to put up or shut up!

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 12-18-2020 at 06:34 PM.
Old 12-18-2020, 06:51 PM
Steven Finley

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks87 View Post
It's a mascot, I don't understand all the venom being slung around here. .
Because the discussion is a proxy for political ideology to a great extent. It’s like Uniwatch, CNN, and Parlor had a ménage à trois.
Old 12-18-2020, 08:09 PM
Tony Davis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
I think Rats60 needs a name change to Chickens60, unless he cares to put up or shut up!
2 out of the first 4 posts on this thread didn't put their full name, plus many more. Why wait till post 217 to start calling people out.
Old 12-18-2020, 08:15 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206fix View Post
2 out of the first 4 posts on this thread didn't put their full name, plus many more. Why wait till post 217 to start calling people out.
Is it hard, or unreasonable, for people to just put their names in their profile and leave it at that?
Old 12-18-2020, 08:39 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206fix View Post
None of those first 4 posts, without a name, would require one. That said 1 of those names was put out there because of the name rule and subsequent posts. Others to follow if needed. And Rats got warned to lay off but had posted before he saw the warning. I would rather everyone have their name out here but a lot of people don't want that. They just need to abide by the rules. The main rule which specifically concerns anonymity on the forum is in bold letters near the top of every page. It is a broad rule on purpose.

Last edited by Leon; 12-18-2020 at 10:33 PM.
Old 12-18-2020, 09:13 PM
Anson

Honestly, the day you need to worry about your name on a vintage card board is the day you need to seek help. Well, unless you're scamming or conning people in the hobby.
Old 12-18-2020, 10:27 PM
Brian K

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfinley View Post
Because the discussion is a proxy for political ideology to a great extent. It’s like Uniwatch, CNN, and Parlor had a ménage à trois.
Gold star to you, that comment wins the day! I got a good late night laugh on that one, thank you for keeping it light!