NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-09-2021, 09:14 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oya311 View Post
Amazing how quickly everyone "forgot" about Palmeiro. He was on crappy Baltimore and Texas teams but he had probably the second smoothest left handed swing (behind only Griffey, Jr.) of all time. Maybe you're right about him being just "okay" without the 'roids, but I don't think so.

It's hard to argue with 3,000+ hits, 550+ HRs and 1,800+ RBIs. Oh, and did you know that he walked more than he struck out for his career? A career .371 OBP ain't too shabby.

You know how many players are on the exclusive 3k hit and 500 HR club? Only 6. Aaron, Mays, E. Murray, ARod, Pujols, and Palmeiro. That's rarified air there, my friends.
I can't argue with his stats and yeah he could swing the bat gorgeously. Maybe it was just his attitude once the scandal broke, dunno.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-09-2021, 09:23 PM
Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I can't argue with his stats and yeah he could swing the bat gorgeously. Maybe it was just his attitude once the scandal broke, dunno.
"I HAVE NEVER USED STEROIDS. PERIOD. I DON'T KNOW HOW TO SAY IT ANY CLEARER THAN THAT. NEVER"

- RAFAEL PALMEIRO

Sent from my SM-A716U1 using Tapatalk
Old 07-09-2021, 09:25 PM
Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oya311 View Post
Fun fact - I played in a father-son fantasy football league with Pedroia 2 years ago. We did a live draft so I got to hang with him for a few hours. He had just had knee surgery and was popping pills every half hour. He took Tom Brady.
That must have been a fun league.

Old 07-09-2021, 09:31 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD View Post
"I HAVE NEVER USED STEROIDS. PERIOD. I DON'T KNOW HOW TO SAY IT ANY CLEARER THAN THAT. NEVER"

- RAFAEL PALMEIRO

I think he still claims his failed test was the result of Tejada injecting him with what Tejada told him was a B12 shot. On the other hand, Canseco was unequivocal about him using all along. On the other hand consider THAT source.

BTW didn't Sheffield have a similar excuse for HIS failed test, that Bonds had injected him and lied to him about what it was?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-09-2021 at 09:36 PM.
Old 07-09-2021, 09:41 PM
Derek

Quote:
I think he still claims his failed test was the result of Tejada injecting him with what Tejada told him was a B12 shot. On the other hand, Canseco was unequivocal about him using all along. On the other hand consider THAT source.
Yeah him and Juan González where definitely clean.

Those early 90 Ranger teams where fun to watch.
Canseco ruined them.

Old 07-09-2021, 10:11 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:

Canseco ruined them.

Loved the batting stance of Gonzalez who I think modeled it after Franco with the bat cocked over the head. Saw him very early in his career in a Fenway day game. They announce him and I'm thinking who? Then he just crushes one over the Monster, and I'm thinking, well this kid got all of that one. Next time up, he does the exact same thing, and this time I'm thinking what a swing, he may be the real deal. And he was, until he wasn't. I guess he has only himself to blame for taking a bad path, but man what a waste.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-09-2021 at 10:18 PM.
Old 07-09-2021, 11:24 PM
Tho.mas L Sau.nders

Quote:

Canseco ruined them.

Hell yes they were! Ivan, Gonzo, Franco, Raffy, Will Clark, Rusty Greer (very underrated OFer)...then you get Nolan Ryan, Kenny Rogers and Kevin Brown as pitchers at various points...come on!

Raffy is 100% a HOFer by the numbers (Ive come full circle on PEDs and if roid guys are in and Selig is in then dont pick and choose between them...all or none)

Gonzo IMO is a HOFer but Im a Rangers fan so

PS: Honestly if I could bet money I would bet Cal Ripken Jr was a PED user (I think that's Thomas Boswell's mystery HOF player he has not IDed) and what we need to get past this is a HOFer that was a user...like say Ripken if he in fact did...to come out and admit it and that would end this HOF hang up...just a thought.

Last edited by ThomasL; 07-09-2021 at 11:29 PM.
Old 07-09-2021, 11:27 PM
Derek

Quote:
Loved the batting stance of Gonzalez who I think modeled it after Franco with the bat cocked over the head. Saw him very early in his career in a Fenway day game. They announce him and I'm thinking who? Then he just crushes one over the Monster, and I'm thinking, well this kid got all of that one. Next time up, he does the exact same thing, and this time I'm thinking what a swing, he may be the real deal. And he was, until he wasn't. I guess he has only himself to blame for taking a bad path, but man what a waste.
Julio Franco, not a HOF in my books but I think he could have gotten to 3k hits and in the hall had he not spent so much time in Japan.

Still like him more then Baines.
Franco vs Baines
43.6 war 38.7 war

Old 07-09-2021, 11:33 PM
Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasL View Post
Hell yes they were! Ivan, Gonzo, Franco, Raffy, Will Clark, Rusty Greer (very underrated OFer)...then you get Nolan Ryan, Kenny Rogers and Kevin Brown as pitchers at various points...come on!

Raffy is 100% a HOFer by the numbers (Ive come full circle on PEDs and if roid guys are in and Selig is in then dont pick and choose between them...all or none)

Plus Tom Henke and those glasses.

Old 07-10-2021, 01:25 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Jose is a lot of things but I don't think he's been shown to be wrong about ANY of the guys he's accused of being steroid users.
Old 07-10-2021, 01:34 PM
Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabe View Post
Jose is a lot of things but I don't think he's been shown to be wrong about ANY of the guys he's accused of being steroid users.
https://forum.orioleshangout.com/for...y-on-steroids/

Old 07-10-2021, 01:54 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
https://forum.orioleshangout.com/for...y-on-steroids/

Was he lying about Ordonez? The post doesn't say, or even imply, anything of the sort.

Also, Canseco didn't mention Ordozen publicly or accuse him.

Last edited by Tabe; 07-10-2021 at 01:55 PM.
Old 07-10-2021, 02:09 PM
Derek

Quote:
Was he lying about Ordonez? The post doesn't say, or even imply, anything of the sort.

Also, Canseco didn't mention Ordozen publicly or accuse him.
Oh I'm not questioning his credibility. I guarantee he has allot of insight and truths. I think his motives/ actions have been handled cowardly and his integrity/ timing has always been questionable .

Just thought that was an interesting, Canseco debate to read through.

Also, i think Mags is guilty. You open a case against Canseco for extortion only to drop the charges once the FBI is ready to pursue them. If he was innocent he would have wanted the charges to be pursued.

Old 07-10-2021, 04:42 PM

Quote:

PS: Honestly if I could bet money I would bet Cal Ripken Jr was a PED user (I think that's Thomas Boswell's mystery HOF player he has not IDed) and what we need to get past this is a HOFer that was a user...like say Ripken if he in fact did...to come out and admit it and that would end this HOF hang up...just a thought.
None. There are no known steroid users in the HOF. Failed test = Never HOF for Palmeiro.

Not sure what Selig has to do with it other than he tried for a decade to get testing before the union agreed to it.
Old 07-10-2021, 05:37 PM
Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
None. There are no known steroid users in the HOF. Failed test = Never HOF for Palmeiro.

Not sure what Selig has to do with it other than he tried for a decade to get testing before the union agreed to it.
Just presumed steroid users like Piazza & Bagwell.
Didn't Caminiti claim that at least 50% of the league used anabolic steroids in 01?
Does cocaine help enhance one's performance? Raines & Jenkins admitted to openly using during games.
Ted Williams, Mike Schmidt & Chipper Jones admitted to using greenies before and during games. Mays reportedly took liquid amphetamines while with the Mets. Sounds fairly similar to McGwire's Andro use. Which wasnt banned at the time.
Selig banned Greenies in 05. So amphetamines, a known performance enhancer was commonly available in baseball since the end of WW2. How many immortals where users during this time? It's hard to believe it was a small number.
What about adderal or ritalin?
Tanozolol, which Palmeiro tested positive for was comonly found in beef for years qnd still runs rampant in Mexico. He has never admitted to using and wasn't charged with perjury after testing positive because they couldn't prove that he maliciously took it.
I have no doubt he was a user, but I also believe there is definitely abusers in the hall.
That being said, its hard to blame any of the abusers for their actions. The window of opportunity they have to make money is so small. Of course there will be boundary pushers.

Old 07-10-2021, 06:45 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Didn't Caminiti claim that at least 50% of the league used anabolic steroids in 01?
Does cocaine help enhance one's performance? Raines & Jenkins admitted to openly using during games.
Ted Williams, Mike Schmidt & Chipper Jones admitted to using greenies before and during games. Mays reportedly took liquid amphetamines while with the Mets. Sounds fairly similar to McGwire's Andro use. Which wasnt banned at the time.
Selig banned Greenies in 05. So amphetamines, a known performance enhancer was commonly available in baseball since the end of WW2. How many immortals where users during this time? It's hard to believe it was a small number.
Tanozolol, which Palmeiro tested positive for was comonly found in beef for years qnd still runs rampant in Mexico. He has never admitted to using and wasn't charged with perjury after testing positive because they couldn't prove that he maliciously took it.
I have no doubt he was a user, but I also believe there is definitely abusers in the hall.
That being said, its hard to blame any of the abusers for their actions. The window of opportunity they have to make money is so small. Of course there will be boundary pushers.

Palmeiro tested positive some time after testifying so by itself it wouldn't have undermined his testimony, right?

The anti-steroid guys always argue amphetamines were different because they were not banned and because they didn't change the body (or variations on that theme).

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-10-2021 at 06:47 PM.
Old 07-10-2021, 10:17 PM

I'm not saying he's a HOFer but Wes Ferrell might get a second look in a post-Ohtani world. What he was able to do with the bat was pretty incredible too. He was a monster in 1935. Led the league in wins and hit 347 with 7 homers and a 960 OPS.
Old 07-11-2021, 12:21 AM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
And at least a dozen more.

And there will be a confirmed one soon when David Ortiz goes in.
Old 07-11-2021, 12:23 AM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Oh I'm not questioning his credibility. I guarantee he has allot of insight and truths. I think his motives/ actions have been handled cowardly and his integrity/ timing has always been questionable .
His integrity is questionable. His motives have been horrible. But, again, anybody he's falsely accused? That's what I was responding to - the idea that an accusation is false because it came from Canseco. I'd argue the opposite is far more likely - that it's TRUE because it came from him.
Old 07-11-2021, 12:39 AM
Tho.mas L Sau.nders

Ok...rats60... as they say there is some ocean front property in Arizona for you to buy.

I guess you are trying to make the argument that you are innocent until proven guilty which I can appreciate...but realistically lets be honest here...probably at least 5-10 guys in the HOF used roids/PEDs and Selig as an owner and commish turned a blind eye for the sake of baseball.

And once Ortiz, Manny and A-Rod get in...who all actually tested positive post rule change will help my point and I will have a bigger argument for Raffy

My personal schoolboy idol Ivan Rodriguez I would bet used PEDs (named by Jose) as well as Piazza and several other HOFers (Tom House said Hank Aaron did by the way so stick that in your pipe and smoke it) and like I said if one is in all are in...

so a good question is should Jose Canseco be in the HOF???...based on 1. performance and 2 whistle blower status????
Old 07-11-2021, 07:30 AM

Quote:
so a good question is should Jose Canseco be in the HOF???...based on 1. performance and 2 whistle blower status????
I wouldn’t call him a “whistle blower” - he was more “The Godfather of steroid use in baseball who got mad when nobody wanted him when he thought he could still play and lashed out”.
Old 07-11-2021, 08:14 AM

Quote:

Do you have any evidence that Piazza or Bagwell used steroids? Accusations without evidence are worthless.

Caminiti can claim whatever he wants, but without names and evidence, his claims aren't believable.

None of the rest are steroids and are irrelevant to my post. Also, using something allowed by MLB is not the same as using something banned.
Old 07-11-2021, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Ok...rats60... as they say there is some ocean front property in Arizona for you to buy.

I guess you are trying to make the argument that you are innocent until proven guilty which I can appreciate...but realistically lets be honest here...probably at least 5-10 guys in the HOF used roids/PEDs and Selig as an owner and commish turned a blind eye for the sake of baseball.

And once Ortiz, Manny and A-Rod get in...who all actually tested positive post rule change will help my point and I will have a bigger argument for Raffy

My personal schoolboy idol Ivan Rodriguez I would bet used PEDs (named by Jose) as well as Piazza and several other HOFers (Tom House said Hank Aaron did by the way so stick that in your pipe and smoke it) and like I said if one is in all are in...

If you have any evidence, present it. I don't believe baseless claims. I am not buying your Arizona land because it is also a baseless claim.

Manny is at 28% in the HOF voting. He isn't ever getting in. ARod never tested positive, but I don't see him ever getting in. Ortiz was rumored to have tested positive, he will be an interesting case. Even if he slides in, it will do nothing for the case of someone who did test positive, peaked at 13% and fell off the ballot after the 4th year.
Old 07-11-2021, 08:42 AM
Peter Spaeth

It's a hugely difficult, and inevitably somewhat arbitrary, line drawing problem. But yes Ortiz is going to mess up any effort to explain the way the line has been drawn.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-11-2021 at 08:43 AM.
Old 07-11-2021, 09:49 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Not sure if snorting coke helps enhance performance, but apparently using LSD helps you to throw a no-hitter!

As for Ortiz... I agree. When he gets in, it will blur the lines for all of those others currently sitting on the fence. Given enough time, I would bet Arod, McGwire, Bonds, Clemens, Sheffield and maybe even Palmeiro will make their ways into the Hall.

Not saying that's what I want... I just think it's inevitable, as the current prevailing sentiment weakens and the decision-makers begin to pass away or age out.
Old 07-11-2021, 10:21 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Not sure if snorting coke helps enhance performance, but apparently using LSD helps you to throw a no-hitter!

As for Ortiz... I agree. When he gets in, it will blur the lines for all of those others currently sitting on the fence. Given enough time, I would bet Arod, McGwire, Bonds, Clemens, Sheffield and maybe even Palmeiro will make their ways into the Hall.

Not saying that's what I want... I just think it's inevitable, as the current prevailing sentiment weakens and the decision-makers begin to pass away or age out.
If Ortiz was not someone people loved, I think we would see a different atmospheric surrounding his vote.

Old 07-11-2021, 10:29 AM
Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
Do you have any evidence that Piazza or Bagwell used steroids? Accusations without evidence are worthless.

Caminiti can claim whatever he wants, but without names and evidence, his claims aren't believable.

None of the rest are steroids and are irrelevant to my post. Also, using something allowed by MLB is not the same as using something banned.
Accusations are just that, until proven. But they usually have some truths. Below is actual admittance.

So, androstenedione, the same PED McGwire openly endorsed, was used by Piazza. He openly discussed using it in 2011 and 2013. His claim was Andro didn't do anthony for him. He wasn't hitting the ball any farther then he did previously so he stopped. But thats admission. Was Andro a banned substance yet, No. Was it a PED yes. McGwire has never been proven to take any steroids other then Andro which at the time was available everywhere. You could get andro500 at Walmart. So McGwire shouldn't have the steroid tag because he used it when it was banned?

http://www.metstoday.com/8374/12-13-...mits-peds-use/

Caminiti had demons but he had no known vendetta against baseball's fraternity like Canseco. He did name Bagwell, one of his closest friends, to Verducci as a user he knowingly ingested. He also named Luis Gonzalez, Mo Vaughn, Man Ram & Andy Pettite ( who admitted use). He defended players as well, saying Biggio, Gwynn and Hoffman had no desire. His claims that you are staying at irrelevant, opened the flood doors on the rampant use in MLB.

https://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/30/s...lubhouses.html

Canseco jumped on that narratives coattail to profitize for his book. That was obvious. Motives between the 2 players should be in question, that's why Cansecos integrity comes into play, but his credibility still remains. He was a known user that wanted all other users to go down on the sinking ship with him. Both have accused players who we now know took steroids positively. Maybe the forms weren't illegal yet because the technology wasnt presnt to make that informative desicision, much like many other substances that weren't banned for decades. Yes they used something allowed by baseball. But it doesn't mean they didnt use PEDs. McGwire is deserving to go in based n your argument, MLB didn't have it banned yet and McG said he stopped taking it once it was banned.

One can easily make the argument it's MLBs fault for not regulating substances/ PEDs fron the onset. If a player tests or gets caught taking/ doing anything not natural they get suspended. MLB has obviously turned a blind eye to the situation. It took cans outcries to make the situations relevant. Much like rosin and sunscreen. Something pitcher's and catchers have been encouraged to do for decades. But the public court of appeal demanded change. So MLB trys to act innocent and fix problems they basically encouraged.

You don't think MLB should have said something when Ted Williams, Jerry Coleman and other fighter pilots returned fromWW2 with the mighty power of greenies? It took MLB more then 50 years to ban them, a now known banned substance. And yes Amphetamines are drugs, PEDs, that affet ones performance, giving the user enhanced focus, and alertness.

Old 07-11-2021, 10:41 AM
Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post

Not sure if you have ever dabbled in white lines or not to know how it affects you. But yes they drastically enhance ones energy, focus and awareness = PED.

This quote from Dan Naulty to George Mitchell in his report says it all:
"I was a full blown cheater and I knew it," Naulty said. "You didn't need a written rule. I was violating clear principals that were laid down within the rules. Whether they were explicitly stated that I shouldn't use speed or testosterone didn't need to be stated. I understood I was violating mainly implicit principals.
"I have no idea how many guys were using testosterone. But I would assume anybody that was had some sort of conviction that this was against the rules. Look, my fastball went from 87 to 96! There's got to be some sort of violation in that. It was not by natural cause. To say it wasn't cheating to me was . . . it's just a fallacy. There's just no way you could say that's not cheating. It was a total disadvantage to play clean."

Even if it wasn't banned at the time, players knew they where cheating.

Old 07-11-2021, 10:52 AM
Rich

Quote:

What was it that Ortiz tested positive for?

Tom House said Henry Aaron used PEDs? Please provide a link. In Aaron’s autobiography he said he tried greenies once and felt so weird that it scared him and he never tried them again.
Old 07-11-2021, 10:54 AM
Derek

From Verducci'd SI article on the matter about Bagwell.

[Here are some facts about Bagwell: he hired a bodybuilder (later hired by Luis Gonzalez) in 1995 to make him "as big as I can," flexibility be damned; took the steroid precursor andro (as well as supplements such as creatine, HMB, zinc, etc.), underwent a massive body change; maintained a bodybuilder weightlifting regimen; called the whistle-blowing in 2002 by Caminiti "a shame" and the one in 2005 by Jose Canseco "very disappointing . . . whether it's true or not;" promulgated the red herring that drugs don't help baseball players ("Hand-eye coordination is something you can't get from a bottle," he said of his andro use); and as recently as 2010 in an ESPN interview openly endorsed steroid use by anyone from a fringe player ("I have no problem with that") to superstars such as Bonds and McGwire ("I know you took it but it doesn't matter") as well as the HGH use by an injured Andy Pettitte ("That's not a performance enhancer").]

Again no denial of use. If you didnt use, wouldnt you deny the accusations?

Here is the full article

https://www.si.com/mlb/2013/01/08/ha...-roger-clemens

Old 07-12-2021, 03:03 PM

I don't remember there being very much proof that Buck Weaver took money to throw a World Series he hit 324 in. But he is still banned, no?

When did proof become more important than belief in baseball?
Old 07-12-2021, 03:59 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
Tom House said Henry Aaron used PEDs? Please provide a link. In Aaron’s autobiography he said he tried greenies once and felt so weird that it scared him and he never tried them again.
He also went from 29 homers in 160 games at age 34 to 40 homers in 120 games at age 39.
Old 07-12-2021, 04:10 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
He also went from 29 homers in 160 games at age 34 to 40 homers in 120 games at age 39.
His totals fluctuated throughout his career. Some years as low as the 20s, back as far as the 1950s, many of course in the 40s. If you're suggesting Aaron's career arc suggests he used, you need a better analysis than that.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-12-2021 at 04:17 PM.
Old 07-12-2021, 05:58 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
His totals fluctuated throughout his career. Some years as low as the 20s, back as far as the 1950s, many of course in the 40s. If you're suggesting Aaron's career arc suggests he used, you need a better analysis than that.
His career arc suggests that he would put up his best home run % at the age of 39?!!? In an era when players were basically never even good at that age?
Old 07-12-2021, 06:05 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I don't remember there being very much proof that Buck Weaver took money to throw a World Series he hit 324 in. But he is still banned, no?

When did proof become more important than belief in baseball?
He wasn’t banned for rigging games, he was banned for knowing others were rigging games and keeping his mouth shut as it happened, of which there was some evidence.
Old 07-12-2021, 06:13 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Aaron's home runs, in the friendly Atlanta park:

1966: 44, led league
1967: 39, led league
1968: 29
1969: 44
1970: 38
1971: 47
1972: 34
1973: 40
1974: 20

Highlighting his age 34 season in 1968 (the year of the pitcher, at that) as a baseline to then discredit later years does not make sense, it was a down year for him, which happens in every long-term players career. Why don't we use his age 32, 33 or 35 seasons?

Perhaps Aaron used something that gave an unfair advantage, but this is not a good or fair argument, it's cherry picking his worst and best rates, ignoring the plethora of seasons close to his best rate, and then pretending the cherry picked lower number is his "normal" somehow by which to discredit the higher figure.
Old 07-12-2021, 06:23 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
His career arc suggests that he would put up his best home run % at the age of 39?!!? In an era when players were basically never even good at that age?
You haven't analyzed his career you've juxtaposted two cherry picked seasons.

The age 34 season isn't really even relevant to the point you are now making.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-12-2021 at 06:25 PM.
Old 07-12-2021, 06:27 PM
Peter Spaeth

At age 38 Jeter had his best season in several years. And?

Old 07-12-2021, 06:36 PM
Derek

Didn't Aaron, Davey Johnson and Darrell Evans all have 40+ HRs in 73? All on the Braves together? Basically career years for both the latter. NOT CLAIMING AARON TOOK STEROIDS. NOT TRYING TO SPREAD FALSE INFORMATIO .

But the reality is PED's, steroids included, have been used by various athletes in all major sports by the early 60s at the latest. Look at the Russians in the 50s but Olympic athletes weren't even tested for steroids until the mid 70s. That's a long time for players to experiment with substances that weren't banned yet.

Last edited by SD; 07-13-2021 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Corrected misinformation
Old 07-12-2021, 06:37 PM
Derek

Nelson Cruz will probably end his career right behind Bonds for HRs after 35.

Old 07-12-2021, 06:39 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Didn't Aaron, Davey Johnson and Darrell Evans all have 40+ HRs over the age of 40 in 73? All on the Braves together? All part of Selig's team? If Aaron was using, he had the right guy to brush it under the rug on his side.

Reality is PED's, steroids included, have been used by various athletes in all major sports by the early 60s at the latest. Look at the Russians in the 50s but Olympic athletes weren't even tested for steroids until the mid 70s. That's a long time for players to experiment with substances that weren't banned yet.

Johnson and Evans were 30 and 26.

Aaron also hit 34 the year before and 47 the year before that so it wasn't so out of line.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-12-2021 at 06:40 PM.
Old 07-12-2021, 06:41 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Nelson Cruz will probably end his career right behind Bonds for HRs after 35.

If not for his late start we might be looking at HOF worthy numbers for his career.

Old 07-12-2021, 07:07 PM
DM Vock

Dale Murphy should be in.

Roy Face deserves in before he dies
Old 07-12-2021, 07:09 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

What's the mathematical argument for Face? An ERA 9% better than the league in less than 1,500 innings. 18-1 relief decisions in a single year is not a career achievement.
Old 07-13-2021, 09:03 AM
Rich

Quote:
As someone who watched Aaron closely in these years, there was no PED use that explained his home run arc. His minor fluctuations were throughout his entire career and he was extremely consistent. The 29 HRs in 1968 were in the year of the pitcher when everyone's totals were down. He put up 47 in 1971 in a home run friendly ballpark but hitting 44 or so was the norm for him. In 1973, Evans and Davey Johnson were kids, they weren't 40 years old. The bad information in this thread concerning Aaron is astounding.
Old 07-13-2021, 10:35 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
As someone who watched Aaron closely in these years, there was no PED use that explained his home run arc. His minor fluctuations were throughout his entire career and he was extremely consistent. The 29 HRs in 1968 were in the year of the pitcher when everyone's totals were down. He put up 47 in 1971 in a home run friendly ballpark but hitting 44 or so was the norm for him. In 1973, Evans and Davey Johnson were kids, they weren't 40 years old. The bad information in this thread concerning Aaron is astounding.
Johnson's season was a real aberration but tainting Aaron by association really seems a stretch.

Old 07-13-2021, 11:29 AM
Ben Gehler

Quote:
Thank you Ricky and Peter for standing up. Those who saw Aaron and knew a lick about the detail of hitting in MLB, appreciated him and why he stood up to the eye test. His career consistency, for me, answers all the stat-slanting of those who don't know.
Thank you.
Ben
Old 07-13-2021, 11:44 AM
Derek

Quote:
Johnson's season was a real aberration but tainting Aaron by association really seems a stretch.
Thank you for the correction.

I'm not suggesting Aaron used. Sorry if it came off that way. I do feel it would be ignorant to assume no player in the Hall ever cheated. Plenty have been speculated to have cheated.

Where their players using PEDs that never got caught? Absolutely.

Old 07-13-2021, 12:00 PM

I'm still shaky on this burden of proof that seems to exist for some people (David Ortiz / Jeff Bagwell / Mike Piazza) but not others. Roger Clemens didn't exactly get "caught" cheating but is there a question about whether he was? How about Barry Bonds? Do you need a deposition to know he cheated?

Why the wishy-washy attitude toward guys like Bagwell, Piazza, Ivan Rodriguez and David Ortiz? In my opinion it is quite obvious they all cheated the same way McGwire and Sosa did.
Old 07-13-2021, 12:50 PM
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I'm still shaky on this burden of proof that seems to exist for some people (David Ortiz / Jeff Bagwell / Mike Piazza) but not others. Roger Clemens didn't exactly get "caught" cheating but is there a question about whether he was? How about Barry Bonds? Do you need a deposition to know he cheated?

Why the wishy-washy attitude toward guys like Bagwell, Piazza, Ivan Rodriguez and David Ortiz? In my opinion it is quite obvious they all cheated the same way McGwire and Sosa did.
I don't think Ortiz is obvious the way McGwire, Bonds and Sosa were. Ortiz was never cut... even as a young player, he was a bit plump. And he still looks the same as he did when playing. McGwire, Sosa, Bonds.... they physically changed and if you look at McGwire now, he looks like he shrunk. Bonds' hat sizes increased two sizes. That's not normal. Did Ortiz' stats improve from his time in Minnesota as a young player? Yes, but how much of that was maturation as a player and being given a chance to play full-time? He apparently tested positive for something, but who knows what it was? There were a lot of substances were on the list but were meaningless... and his numbers continued to improve after that test and more stringent testing was put into place. Meanwhile BALCO swirled around McGwire, Bonds and Sosa... I forget the deal with Clemens but didn't someone report that he was sticking needles in his butt (I could be confusing that with someone else)?