NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 10-23-2014, 03:42 PM
M@rk Comer

Default Brooks Robinson - Proof Items

Does anyone happen to have or know someone with any regular issue proof items of Brooksie? I would like to purchase some, but if not I'd like to at least view some items that are out there owned by collectors or in collections. For some reason I really like the proof stuff, i.e. flexichrome/transparencies, progressive color proofs, printing plates, etc. I remember seeing the Brooks 1958 original flexichrome artwork years ago in an REA auction. I'd love to own something like that or at least look at the piece!

Also, any of you player collectors or collectors in general interested in these type items?
Old 10-23-2014, 04:34 PM
Al Richter

Default B Robinson

We have someone here, not me, who has his Topps 68 3D Prototype
Old 10-24-2014, 05:41 AM
M@rk Comer

Default Brooks Robinson 68 3D

Al,

The '68 3D would be the ultimate for a Brooks player collector, but the only problem is that there's so many other collectors who desire that same item and with only 3-4 known to exist that's an unobtainable (at least for me) Oh, also the dice game would fall into that category. That's why a nice scan, just to view, is nice. I don't know about you, but it's also kinda cool to know who owns the pieces so if they ever decide to move the item you'll at least know about it and maybe strike a deal or trade.

You still have the '67 disc sheet with Brooks pictured, correct? I think yours is the complete color version if I can remember correctly.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:56 AM

There are a handful of Lou Brock proof items in my "Year of Lou Brock" thread which ended a month or so ago.

Topps Vault puts a lot of that type of stuff out on Ebay.

Some goes cheap, some goes high, it just depends on what it is.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:26 AM
Bob F.

Here's a '67 Robinson disc:

Old 10-24-2014, 06:30 AM
Al Richter

Default Brooks....

.....and

Interesting that he was not in either the 66 or 67 Punch Out issues, or the 67 Stand Ups or 68 Plaqs. Lesser players were

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 10-24-2014 at 09:08 AM.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:13 AM
Howard Chasser

Default Clemente proofs

Hi Mark,

I LOVE the proof stuff! I have a number of Clemente items including 1963 Peel offs, 1967 pinups, 1960 bazookas, 1962 post and Jello. Speaking of Brooks.... I may have a post or Jello proof if you are interested - They were done in sheets (I think 8 or 10 cards on a sheet) - really cool - original photos done for the issue and the rest of the cards "pasted up" on the sheets! Let me know if you would be interested and I will take a look. I also have a really cool Japanese magazine with Brooks on the Cover. May have a couple of Bazooka complete boxes if you need any of them......a couple of bottle cap variations possibly....that's all I can think of for now. Let me know what if any of the aforementioned you might have interest in. Be well. Happy collecting!

-Howard
Old 10-27-2014, 01:12 PM
Marty

I love the proof/production pieces/original art stuff as well! Sometime around the early 90s, when it was clear that they were producing enough of each card for every person in the country to have a few, I really shifted to more unique kinds of items, and proofs and production pieces are a lot of fun to pick up. There seems to be a small set of folks who go after them, and, as is shown from some of the responses here, they often seem to be most popular with player and team collectors looking for rare items to add to the collection.

I really find it interesting to see the vast differences in prices for some of these. Clearly the player depicted is the biggest determining factor, but it also seems that the scarcity/popularity of the set can produce wild swings - even though most of these, regardless of what issue they were used for, are one of one, or nearly one of one items.

Howard - I would love to see one of the Post/Jello proofs - they sound very cool!
Old 10-27-2014, 04:46 PM
M@rk Comer

Default Brooks Robinson proofs

Thanks so much for the response. So glad to hear others are interested in these type of items as well. I just returned home from a middle school church trip so I apologize for not responding till now. Oh, and as a chaperone/bus driver/can I borrow some money, etc.; I'm not in middle school any longer.

David - Yes; I viewed your Lou Brock thread almost daily to see all of the items that you had of Brock. Loved the thread and wished it would have gone on forever... You definitely have some unique items.

Bob - LOVE the '67 test disc of Brooks. I have one of the color progression proofs, but not the full color one; maybe someday. I still don't have any of the '68 discs which has been a continual search for many years now.

Howard - if it pictures Brooks on a proof item I believe I'd be interested. I think I may have some of the items you mentioned, but would love to see a picture the items to check. I've seen some of the awesome Clemente items that you have in your collection, that you posted in other threads; just incredible!

laughlinfan - what do you collect? Would be interested to know.

Last edited by Mark70Z; 10-27-2014 at 04:48 PM.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:14 AM
Marty

Hey Mark! My collecting is (unfortunately) probably in need of more focus, but I do enjoy collecting original card art, production pieces, and Bob Laughlin items, among many things. Along those lines, here are a couple of B Robby items I really like. Bob Laughlin's original art from the 1974 All Star set, and the original painting of Brooks that was done for the Upper Deck Masterpieces set from a few years back. This one was done by Chuck Gillies, one of my favorite artists who did work for these sets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img927.jpg (72.2 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg brooks1.jpg (74.8 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg $_57.JPG (23.2 KB, 140 views)
Old 10-29-2014, 04:38 PM
M@rk Comer

laughlinfan

I think we all have a problem with focus at times, or maybe it's just you and me?!?

Now those are two wonderful Brooksie items. I really enjoyed viewing both pieces that you have in your collection; thanks so much for sharing. I would assume that the 1976 LAUGHLIN DIAMOND baseball original art card of Brooks would be out there somewhere.

Would you mind showing your favorite piece as it relates to these type of items? Also, I'd really like to see how you have the Brooks LAUGHLIN card and the artwork displayed; at least it appears that you have the two together.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:30 AM
Marty

Hi Mark!

Bob had all of his original art for his cards for sale back in the 70s. Not sure how much he did sell, or how much has survived, but I am guessing the Diamond Jubilee artwork is out there somewhere! The Brooks was part of an 8 piece "holy grail" for me - took me a long time to track down, and then even longer to acquire. 4 of these original art pieces (Joe D., Ted, Mantle, and Ruth) were used for the Super Standups that he did as well. They were framed by the former owner, but I like how they look and have kept them that way.

Marty
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 015.jpg (77.2 KB, 63 views)
Old 11-04-2014, 10:58 AM
Al Richter

Default Laughlin

Cool item, Marty
Old 11-04-2014, 04:29 PM
M@rk Comer

Marty,

WOW... Those pieces look GREAT! Thanks so much for taking the time sharing pictures of some of your collection.