NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 10-23-2014, 06:10 PM
Ben North

Default 1960-63 Post Jello Mickey Mantle variations

I know I seen a thread on here about them but could not find it. Could anybody post a link to it or list the 1960-63 Post/Jello Mickey Mantle variations? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:30 PM
Larry More.y

Hi Ben, was this the thread you were thinking of?

http://net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=191745
Old 10-23-2014, 08:42 PM
Chris

Here are the variations I have been able to identify so far:

1960 Post Mantle
1961 Post Mantle Perforated
1961 Post Mantle Hand Cut
1962 Jello Mantle
1962 Post Mantle Hand Cut
1962 Post Mantle Ad Back Hand Cut
1962 Post Mantle Ad Back Perforated
1962 Post Life Magazine – Mantle/Maris Panel
1962 Post Mantle Canadian 163 Hits (first line – “4th time in”)
1962 Post Mantle Canadian 163 Hits (first line – “4th time”)
1962 Post Mantle Canadian 153 Hits Hand Cut
1962 Post Mantle Canadian 153 Hits Perforated
1963 Jello Mantle
1963 Post Mantle

Please note that the only panel I included on this list was the one from the Post Life Magazine. There are other panels out there, but I haven't put together a comprehensive list of those yet (I don't actively pursue those but just get them when I have seen them and if they are decent prices).
Old 10-24-2014, 03:13 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes View Post
Hi Ben, was this the thread you were thinking of?

http://net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=191745
Hi Larry, I found that thread. I thought there was a slight difference in the photo cropping on some of the USA cards but was not sure.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:57 PM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Hi Larry, I found that thread. I thought there was a slight difference in the photo cropping on some of the USA cards but was not sure.

Ben, I do not have but one 62 Post Mantle, but, the other week I won a H&S auction of 1000+ 61-63 Post cards and in going through the lot (mainly the 62s), there are numerous (too many to count yet) cropping variations. As I go through an upgrade my 62 set, I am going to add in the cropping variations and can get a count then.

Based on the number of cropping variations I have seen so far with the 62s, it would not be very surprising if the 62 Mantle also has a cropping variation.

Last edited by savedfrommyspokes; 10-24-2014 at 07:59 PM.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:30 PM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Hi Ben,
I made it through the 62s, and indeed there is a cropping variation with the Mantle. Take a look at his left arm in the image...on the bottom card, more of his arm is cropped out while on the top card there is less of his arm cropped. It may not be as obvious in this image, but it is more obvious with the card in hand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 62 post mantles.jpg (80.1 KB, 145 views)
Old 10-24-2014, 08:56 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

Also much less of the number on the back of the jersey shows on one vs the other
Old 10-24-2014, 11:08 PM
Chris

What do the backs look like on those?
Old 10-25-2014, 09:01 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econteachert205 View Post
Also much less of the number on the back of the jersey shows on one vs the other
Dennis, I think it appears that way due to the right edge of the bottom card being cut short....however, there does appear to be just a small difference on the L/R placement of the image as well as the more obvious difference with T/B placement.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:06 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestdj777 View Post
What do the backs look like on those?
Chris, the backs of both these Mantle's are plain, as with any of the other box cut cards from the 61-63 Posts, and unlike the backs of the magazine issued cards.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:49 AM
Todd Schultz

I see a few small differences in the 62s, but as I do not collect these, I'm unsure as to whether you would consider them variations.

First, there appears to be a little more space between "No. 5" and his name on one card versus the other. Second, the "y" in Mickey nearly touches the "n" in Yankees on one card, while on the other it does not extend as far and hovers over the "a" instead. Third, "Major League Batting Record" nearly touches the grid in one card but is spaced higher in the other. Fourth and similarly, the numbers within the stats grid are placed differently within the cells. Finally and of course, the blue-sky background is noticeably different in the two cards also.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:43 AM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes View Post
Chris, the backs of both these Mantle's are plain, as with any of the other box cut cards from the 61-63 Posts, and unlike the backs of the magazine issued cards.
Thanks Saved. Was trying to figure out if they were from different sources. I have a lot of dups so will have to look through for any variations.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:51 PM
Ken Marks

Default post cereal variations

There are numerous variations for Mantle 1962 Post Cereal cards. These variations are the direct result of Mantle cards appearing on different panels of different cereals. This is similiar to all years (1961-63) where a player made more than one appearance on a cereal panel. All cards from one cereal panel of a player look the same. Variations occur when two cards come from two different cereal panel backs.

In 1962, Mantle was on the following panels: 11 oz Bran Flakes, 10 oz Grape Nuts, 16 oz Bran Flakes, 10 oz Oat Flakes, 15 oz Oat Flakes, Post Tens variety pack in addition to the Life Magazine Ad. Based on primarily picture cropping or picture color, with the right knowledge you can determine which cereal panel variation a Mantle (or really any other player's) card came from--thus what variation you had. For 1961 Mantle was only on the Post Tens panel and the company mail-in sheet (perforations). In 1963 there are no Mantle variations as he only appeared on the large sized Grape Nut Flakes.

Dan Mabey has done detailed research on Post Cereal baseball issues and published books on each of the different years baseball sets including the 1962 Post Cereal Canadian BB issue. Tons of great information in these books and the vast majority of what most of us serious Post Cereal/Jell-O collectors know about these issues (such as what I am passing along above) comes from Dan's research and writings. If there was a Sports Collector's Hall of Fame, Dan would be in it. I am pretty certain his books are still available, although he has redirected his efforts into other areas somewhat these days.