NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 03-05-2020, 06:18 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Default March Autograph Pickup Thread

Won this 1916 Heilbroner card of Chic Gandil, the ringleader of the 1919 Blacksox.

My knowledge of the Heilbroner cards is largely limited to an old thread on this site so hoping to learn more, but thought it was an extremely cool piece with a decent amount written there by a really significant individual in the history of baseball.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1916 Chic Gandil Heilbroner card 1.jpg (76.4 KB, 355 views)
File Type: jpg 1916 Chic Gandil Heilbroner card 2.jpg (77.5 KB, 358 views)
Old 03-05-2020, 06:27 PM
Tho.mas L Sau.nders

Very cool and congrats, I also was bidding on it, but more for the historical content than signature so I bowed out. Changed his birth year and the note on the back points to an often overlooked fact that he played under a different name "Chick Arnold" for a time! Decided I could live with just the pictures of it lol! Congrats!

I did win the lot of other 1919 Sox info cards with a signed Dick Kerr and most importantly, what looks like a partially signed Joe Jenkins
Old 03-05-2020, 09:18 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasL View Post
Very cool and congrats, I also was bidding on it, but more for the historical content than signature so I bowed out. Changed his birth year and the note on the back points to an often overlooked fact that he played under a different name "Chick Arnold" for a time! Decided I could live with just the pictures of it lol! Congrats!

I did win the lot of other 1919 Sox info cards with a signed Dick Kerr and most importantly, what looks like a partially signed Joe Jenkins
I was looking at the rest of them and decided to focus on this one instead of the group, though Faber was definitely a nice one (or 2). Congrats on the win. Seemed like a real bargain!

Reading the back I assumed he went by Arnold Gandil since full name was Charles Arnold "Chick" Gandil. Do you know if he used it as his last name particularly?
Old 03-05-2020, 09:34 PM
Tho.mas L Sau.nders

He was going by Chick Arnold. He played in Amarillo TX in 1906 as Chick Gandil but when he went back to LA area later in 1906 he started going by Chick Arnold and went by that until he signed with Sacramento...Im working on writing up something on these early years of Gandil for SABR.

Message me and I can send you some newspaper clippings of him playing under Chick Arnold if you like. Here is one headline from Aug 12, 1909 from Shreveport, LA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The_Shreveport_Journal_Thu__Aug_12__1909_.jpg (70.3 KB, 335 views)

Last edited by ThomasL; 03-05-2020 at 09:41 PM.
Old 03-05-2020, 09:57 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Quote:
He was going by Chick Arnold. He played in Amarillo TX in 1906 as Chick Gandil but when he went back to LA area later in 1906 he started going by Chick Arnold and went by that until he signed with Sacramento...Im working on writing up something on these early years of Gandil for SABR.

Message me and I can send you some newspaper clippings of him playing under Chick Arnold if you like. Here is one headline from Aug 12, 1909 from Shreveport, LA
That's so awesome. I never would have thought that. Will message you.
Old 03-05-2020, 10:02 PM
Tho.mas L Sau.nders

The back of your card also has a story with "Jumped to Calif Outlaw" then to Sacramento change. He signed with an outlaw team in Fresno and apparently never played a game with them but was given money, over $200, advance (probably to travel from Louisiana to CA)...he then signed on to play with Sacramento in the PCL and the Fresno team filed charges on him and a warrant was made and he was arrested (posted bond right away it seems) for not returning the advanced pay. It appears the Sacramento team ended up backing him and either ironing it out with the Fresno outlaw club or just paying it back for him.

Last edited by ThomasL; 03-05-2020 at 10:04 PM.
Old 03-06-2020, 05:08 PM
Michael

Default Paul Simon

signed in person. needed to correct his handedness
paul.jpg
Old 03-08-2020, 12:06 AM
Jeff Lazarus

Quote:
The back of your card also has a story with "Jumped to Calif Outlaw" then to Sacramento change. He signed with an outlaw team in Fresno and apparently never played a game with them but was given money, over $200, advance (probably to travel from Louisiana to CA)...he then signed on to play with Sacramento in the PCL and the Fresno team filed charges on him and a warrant was made and he was arrested (posted bond right away it seems) for not returning the advanced pay. It appears the Sacramento team ended up backing him and either ironing it out with the Fresno outlaw club or just paying it back for him.
I saw that on the back but hadn't had a chance to read up on the details of it. Amazed that he shared that info on his card.

Really appreciate you sharing these details!
Old 03-09-2020, 08:06 PM
John T.
Joh.n Ta.ng

Old 03-30-2020, 06:22 PM
Andy H

Thanks to Scooter729 for these:

My GLAC collection (1/240):
https://www.collectorfocus.com/colle...gned-postcards
Old 03-30-2020, 07:20 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Picked this one up with a 10% coopun off of the 'Bay.

56 down, 4 to go on the 1964 Giants auto set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dick Stuart 1964 Giants - smaller.jpg (75.1 KB, 109 views)
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 03-30-2020, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
Picked this one up with a 10% coopun off of the 'Bay.

56 down, 4 to go on the 1964 Giants auto set.
Good one!
Old 03-31-2020, 08:49 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Very excited to have this hard to find Oct 1952 Baseball Digest. I've been looking for it for a couple of years since I couldn't find any other magazine with Carl Erskine on the cover. I've seen it a few times from sellers selling the whole year, but not just the individual issue. Anyway, found it on EBAY and, of course, it got lost in the mail. Finally arrived after a month in transit, and I immediately turned around and sent it off to Mr. Erskine to sign it. At 93 he is a very responsive signed and his sig is still very strong. This one will be displayed proudly with my other signed Brooklyn items.
P.S. Another great thing about this is that it's from the year he threw his first no hitter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Erskine1.jpg (73.3 KB, 83 views)
1955 Dodger Autographs...40/43
1934 Gas House Gang Autographs...Complete
1969 Cubs Autographs...Black Cat ticket plus 30/50
1960 Pirates autographs...Complete
1961 Yankees autographs...Complete
1971-1975 A's Playoff/WS roster autos...Complete