NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 11-03-2020, 05:44 PM
Brock

Default Reasons I hate card companies

Reason I hate card companies cutting bats up.

This card recently sold at auction for $1,845, advertised on the back as "Game used relic". I used to own this bat when it was full-size, it showed use(white marks and stuff) but Taube (PSA/DNA) determined the use wasn't from game use. I eventually sold it to an employee of memory lane who later sold it at their auction as game issued.

I asked leaf why it is advertised as game used when the bat didnt show any game use. They told me it came with an LOA for game use but wouldn't provide me with a copy because they dont do that if people ask. They later told me they bought the bat thru Goldin, I searched Goldin and searched tons of auctions and could find no record of it being sold since it sold in Memory lane many years ago. They also said it did come with an LOA from Mears, so i asked Troy if they authenticated it but they couldn't help without the hologram number.

So it just sucks that this bat is probably only game issued, yet the card companies say used.

And it also sucks that I call out this company questioning their product and they won't provide the LOA to back up said item. It sucks these items getting destroyed, at least it wasn't a Mantle bat that showed all his traits and a prime example of his bats.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-11-03 at 7.34.46 PM.jpg (78.4 KB, 333 views)
File Type: jpg Mantle bat.jpg (75.9 KB, 331 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-11-03 at 7.42.52 PM.jpg (5.6 KB, 323 views)
Old 11-03-2020, 05:52 PM
Ben North

To me it is more amazing they didn't use a store model to cut up and call it game used. After all it could have been used by some random kid in a "game".
Old 11-03-2020, 06:19 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Yeah... I'd actually be shocked if they'd mutilate and cut up a verified "Gamer". Especially when it's so much more profitable to source a bat like this. These companies selling card relics are just one tick below the TPGs in terms of half-truths, sleaze and corruption.
Old 11-03-2020, 08:02 PM
Jeff

Do folks really believe that these cards contain "game used" relics just because they say they do. Quite a leap of faith.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 11-03-2020, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
Do folks really believe that these cards contain "game used" relics just because they say they do. Quite a leap of faith.
Agree. Sad that people collect this stuff.
Old 11-03-2020, 08:25 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
There's quite a bit of evidence that the card companies have cut up some pretty historic pieces to make the Game-Used cards including (famously) a Ruth jersey that Donruss purchased in the early 2000's that got a lot of attention. There are many other examples of items that can be identified and tracked. (I believe they cut up Jackie Robinson's Barnstorming jersey from 1945 or 1946 when he was with the KC Royals barnstorming team under Chet Brewer.

For modern items they are very active on MLB auctions buying up pieces.

While I am sure there are questionable items in cards, and the move towards more vague language on the cards describing the usage leaves more room for flexibility, it seems pretty clear that a ton of significant, historic items were cut up.

While I think they are using items that are associated with the players (although at times I don't think they are transparent on what is game-used and what was used in Old Timer's Games etc., I think it's safe to say they've cut up a lot of things that many hobbyists wish were still whole (though some would argue it allowed many more collectors a chance at a piece of history)

Last edited by Topnotchsy; 11-03-2020 at 08:33 PM.
Old 11-04-2020, 03:42 AM
GaryPassamonte

Destroying history is unconscionable. I make it a policy never to throw stones at others unless it is face to face, but I will make an exception in this case. These companies are soulless scum. How would the public feel if a great painting was destroyed in a similar fashion? Despicable.
Old 11-04-2020, 10:21 AM
Andrew Hunt00n

I have no problem with them cutting up jerseys of modern players who use a new jersey every game so they can sell off the used ones for this purpose. I don't like cutting up historical items however. I enjoy collecting the jersey/bat cards of the guys I liked growing up and some of the newer guys. I just like the look of the cards with the swatch of jersey or bat embedded in them.

There is also a big move these days to use jerseys that were "worn by the player at an event" meaning they put on the jersey for a photo shoot and then they cut up that jersey saying he wore it. Total crap of an item in my opinion.

Andy

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 11-04-2020, 11:51 AM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
So it just sucks that this bat is probably only game issued, yet the card companies say used.
That's not exactly what bothers me about this card...
Old 11-04-2020, 02:49 PM
Tim Odeen

I don't buy relic cards anymore. I look for straight auto cards without the relic because the relic doesn't even have to be from the player on the card. No reason to invest for something pointless. However, those late 90s early 2000s relics are legit. I have a piece of Jackie Robinson pants from the Fleer Traditions Negro Leagues set.
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 11-04-2020, 05:00 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
I don't buy relic cards anymore. I look for straight auto cards without the relic because the relic doesn't even have to be from the player on the card. No reason to invest for something pointless. However, those late 90s early 2000s relics are legit. I have a piece of Jackie Robinson pants from the Fleer Traditions Negro Leagues set.
Not a comment on those cards because i know nothing abut them. I do like how whatever we as collectors actually collect. We think is real and unaltered but everything else can be fake/altered.
Old 11-04-2020, 06:40 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
Why do you think they relic isn't from the player on the card? I feel weird defending the card companies, since I don't like a lot of what they have done, but there's no indication that this is being done. It may have happened by mistake, but don't believe there's any indication for anything beyond that.

If you look at particular vintage players over the years, you can generally see that the details (material, pinstripes etc) indicate they are using the same jersey for the same player for years, and those match what would have been appropriate for the players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Not a comment on those cards because i know nothing abut them. I do like how whatever we as collectors actually collect. We think is real and unaltered but everything else can be fake/altered.

The card companies were definitely much more explicit about the material in the cards in the early years, and were pretty public with at least some of the items they picked up that were cut up. They became much less specific over the years, and from the kinds of material in the cards it seems clear that at least some cases were Old Timer's Jerseys, Coaching jerseys etc.
Old 11-04-2020, 08:49 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I'd never thought about it like that! I just remember all the uproar when relic cards first started coming out. "I can't believe they cut up (enter Players name) (enter players relic). How could they destroy history?" At some point that uproar went away when they changed their comment of authentication to be more generic. And the prices of relic cards dropped too. I figured the combination of both indicated that generic pieces of jersey were being used on cards, rather than finding actual jerseys bats balls pants bases from particular players/stadiums/etc. Maybe we all just became numb and bored with them. But those original UD Piece of History relic cards have sure held their value compared to other relic cards.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo

Last edited by todeen; 11-04-2020 at 08:50 PM.
Old 11-04-2020, 10:55 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
That's not exactly what bothers me about this card...
In response to multiple private messages, what bothers me about this card is that it exists.

And for those who can't read between the lines, I'm also bothered that a bat no longer does.

Whether that bat is game used, game issued, was at a game, missed the game, was late to the game, ended up at a little league game, couldn't bother me less.