NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 07-05-2017, 03:56 AM

Default 1962 Jell-o Clemente

I was just wondering, is the 1962 Jell-o Clemente baseball card rare or scarce? I see only 4 on ebay, 2 of which are over $300 and only one in the sold category. Does anyone have any insight into the scarcity of this card?
Old 07-05-2017, 05:56 AM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georj View Post
I was just wondering, is the 1962 Jell-o Clemente baseball card rare or scarce? I see only 4 on ebay, 2 of which are over $300 and only one in the sold category. Does anyone have any insight into the scarcity of this card?
1962 jell-o is more rare than the 1963:
- 1962 has a Clemente PSA population of 19, and the entire set has only 252 PSA-graded
- 1963 seems less scarce, with 93 Clemente's and 2007 total PSA-graded

Others may have insight into distribution and packaging and volume from the time - I'm just going off the pop report. That said, I own a few 1963's (including Clemente) but not any 1962's
Old 07-05-2017, 08:09 AM

I remembered reading an article a while ago about Jell-o cards. And by some miracle, I remembered where! Some good information here.

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com...bbles-bobbles/

And here....

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com...ey-mantle-box/

Last edited by Tedw9; 07-05-2017 at 08:11 AM.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:31 AM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedw9 View Post
I remembered reading an article a while ago about Jell-o cards. And by some miracle, I remembered where! Some good information here.

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com...bbles-bobbles/

And here....

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com...ey-mantle-box/

The Brian Powell article about the Mantle Box (the bottom article of the 2) was really excellent
Old 07-05-2017, 10:28 AM
Michael Skiles

Default Jello Clemente

Mike,

The Clemente card for the 1962 Jell-O set was on the Strawberry brand. What is unknown is what size box. ( 3oz. or 6oz.) 6oz. cards are more difficult to obtain than 3oz. This holds true for the 1963 set as well. The 62 set itself is far more difficult than the 63 set based on limited distribution. The prices for Clemente, Mantle etc. are higher due to demand by collectors of major stars. A group of us have been compiling data for the Jell-o sets. I am currently working on a write-up comparing the scarcities between the 63 Jell-O set and the 63 Post Cereal set. I hope to finish it soon.

Mike
Old 07-05-2017, 11:06 AM

Thank you gentlemen for the information. I can't wait to read about your research, Mike.
Old 07-09-2017, 05:24 PM
Chr$stopher Pett$

I will add that the 1962 jello cards are difficult to acquire in a PSA numerical grade. It appears that the lateral edges on these cards often extended from the back of the box over to the side: therefore people cut them "short " with the lateral borders missing. I also noticed that some of the 62 jello cards have a solid brown lateral border rather than a black line -? Could the brown edge box be from a different sized jello package? Nevertheless it took me years to find a 62 Clemente jello with enough border to receive a numerical grade and I also have a few graded "authentic". I found 2 mantles with a complete border- one was graded a 3- the other I just sent to PSA - should be a 4-5.
Old 07-10-2017, 07:19 AM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zact View Post
I will add that the 1962 jello cards are difficult to acquire in a PSA numerical grade. It appears that the lateral edges on these cards often extended from the back of the box over to the side: therefore people cut them "short " with the lateral borders missing. I also noticed that some of the 62 jello cards have a solid brown lateral border rather than a black line -? Could the brown edge box be from a different sized jello package? Nevertheless it took me years to find a 62 Clemente jello with enough border to receive a numerical grade and I also have a few graded "authentic". I found 2 mantles with a complete border- one was graded a 3- the other I just sent to PSA - should be a 4-5.

Brian Powell's SCD article describes the same -- that in fact, if you did try to cut outside the lines, you'd have a major "crease" at the edge of the card, by saving the border but incorporating the fold.

From PSA Pop report, 1962 Jell-o:
- Total graded: 252
- Number grade: 61
- 5+ (no crease): 14
- Authentic: 191
Old 07-10-2017, 09:08 AM
Dan Be$$e++e

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCoxon View Post
Brian Powell's SCD article describes the same -- that in fact, if you did try to cut outside the lines, you'd have a major "crease" at the edge of the card, by saving the border but incorporating the fold.

From PSA Pop report, 1962 Jell-o:
- Total graded: 252
- Number grade: 61
- 5+ (no crease): 14
- Authentic: 191
Yup, my Jello Yaz is PSA Authentic.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:00 PM
Michael Skiles

Default More Info

Attached is a scan of my 62 Jello box of Aparicio and my cut from the box Dick Groat. You will notice that it is possible to cut outside the black lines. Of course if you look to the right side of the box, it must be cut with great care. But, there is enough white space to leave the black line.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 62 Jello Box and Groat 001.jpg (74.4 KB, 257 views)
Old 07-24-2017, 11:17 PM
Ken Marks

Default A Little More Information.

Great discussion guys. My favorite set. A little more information to add if folks are interested.

Related to the "lateral brown border" on some 62 Jell-O cards. I believe the reference is to the left side of certain cards. Any card without a left black border line (where one would be expected) did not come from a regular 1962 Jell-O gelatin card--but instead came from a Jell-O pudding flavor (of which there are five different pudding flavors resulting in the possibility of five different colors that might be present on the left side as opposed to the thin black border line). My understanding is that PSA does not recognize with the color on the left (many, many times wider than regular black border line) as a border and thus will not give Jell-O pudding cards a numerical grade since the left side does not have the black border. (As an aside, the 1963 Jell-O baseball cards only came on gelatin flavors and did not come on pudding flavors.)

I fully concur with Mike Skiles that the 62 Jell-O Clemente came from a Strawberry box. There was a Lew Lipset ad in SCD many, many years ago where he was selling 1962 Jell-O boxes (individually). That ad was selling 85 different unfolded boxes and the listing included the player on the box along with the flavor of the box. Clemente was one of the players and was shown as coming from "Strawberry". For a number of years I have been researching all the players on the set trying to tie them to the different boxes (flavor(s)/size(s) the each appeared on. Based on this research, I believe it is pretty much a certainty that it was the 3 oz. box of Strawberry Jell-O that Clemente appeared on and was included in the Lipset ad. Additionally, Clemente does seem to have appeared on a second flavor of Jell-O based on cropping differences in Clemente cards.

Guess I will end by saying that I am always trying to learn more about this set and more than willing to discuss thoughts. Good night. Ken Marks
Old 08-20-2023, 10:01 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Now that the auction is over, no one can accuse me of outing it.

Couple of Clemente boxes from 62 and 63 here. I didn’t buy them, although a friend of mine did pick up the 62.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7705.jpg (131.7 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7706.jpg (146.2 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7707.jpg (136.8 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7708.jpg (155.2 KB, 125 views)

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 08-20-2023, 10:04 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

And here is my raw Clemente 1963 complete box.

Although it will probably be slabbed in about a month.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7710.jpg (197.1 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7711.jpg (172.8 KB, 127 views)

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 08-21-2023, 06:48 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Just noticed

Your box is Lemon lime flavor Jell-O, the 63 that just sold is Raspberry!

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.

Tags
clemente