NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 03-02-2018, 02:46 PM
G@ry Sƈ@m.ҽh.0ɾn

Default Need help please with photos ref from 1947 Dodgers/Ebbets field

Hey Everyone!

Playing detective today, and need the board help please. I have a candid snapshot of Jackie Robinson, that I believe is from either Opening Day 1947 ( his MLB debut) or 1947 World Series during his rookie season.

Mainly leaning towards 1947 WS, but didn't want to rule out his MLB debut, just yet.

Key clues, the red/white/blue decorative banner hanging on the Ebbets Field rails and the billboards...(Mainly the Coca Cola Classic ad).

Here's the snapshot

Does anyone have any pictures of Jackie Robinson or Ebbets Field during his MLB Debut 4/15/47? Or Ebbets Field in general from 1947? I don't know how often they switch out billboard ads, since that's a huge clue in time frame.
Old 03-02-2018, 03:05 PM
Fredy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCubsGo32 View Post
Hey Everyone!

Playing detective today, and need the board help please. I have a candid snapshot of Jackie Robinson, that I believe is from either Opening Day 1947 ( his MLB debut) or 1947 World Series during his rookie season.

Mainly leaning towards 1947 WS, but didn't want to rule out his MLB debut, just yet.

Key clues, the red/white/blue decorative banner hanging on the Ebbets Field rails and the billboards...(Mainly the Coca Cola Classic ad).

Here's the snapshot

Does anyone have any pictures of Jackie Robinson or Ebbets Field during his MLB Debut 4/15/47? Or Ebbets Field in general from 1947? I don't know how often they switch out billboard ads, since that's a huge clue in time frame.
All I know is that it's not from opening day, Robinson wore a jersey with zipper on that date.

So, World Series is a definite possibility.
Old 03-02-2018, 03:18 PM
G@ry Sƈ@m.ҽh.0ɾn

I found this Youtube video of the 1947 World Series...were you can see the Coca Cola Classic billboard in the video ( @ 3:42 mins into the video) matching up to my photo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1X_lWmsZX3Y&t=229s

I notice the zipper jersey in this image when looking around, but wasn't sure why they would switch from zipper to bottom up...

I thought it was too hard to tell ( for me at least) whether my snapshot image was showing "zipper style" or "button up"

"zipper style" from Opening Day

1947 Jackie Robinson game used "bottom up" used in World Series

https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball-c...a/7220-50001.s

Last edited by GoCubsGo32; 03-02-2018 at 03:21 PM.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:05 PM
Bobw

Default I think it's the 1947 World Series

I'll give it a shot....I think it is from the 1947 World Series because of the signage.

The first is a Getty image that is supposed to be April 15 ,1947 against the Braves, provided Getty is accurate about the date. There is a different sign to the left of the Coca Cola

The second image is a wire photo of Cookie Lavagetto's hit and the signs and bunting match

Old 03-02-2018, 10:53 PM
Charles
Cha.rles

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCubsGo32 View Post
Hey Everyone!

Here's the snapshot

I found the photo below on the "Parks of the Past" website (https://www.reddit.com/r/baseball/co...ield_brooklyn/). It is listed as "circa 1946" and had the same ad to the left of the Coca-Cola sign (I believe that it's for Lifebuoy soap.) Since Jackie didn't come up until '47, I would have to assume that the photo was taken early in the '47 season.

In Bob W's first photo, we no longer see the sign for Lifebuoy soap, but there is a sign in right field for the Movie "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty", which was released on August 4th, 1947. So I would have to assume that that photo was taken later in the '47 season.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20151030-6-Ebbets.jpg (75.8 KB, 96 views)

- Charles

Check out my collection..........
http://ImageEvent.com/The_Cardfather

Check out my stuff for sale.........
(Message me for Net54 members direct sale discount.)
https://www.ebay.com/str/thecardfathersstore

Last edited by The-Cardfather; 03-02-2018 at 10:55 PM.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:55 AM
Tim

Default In the dugout.........

Here's another image from Opening Day 1947. Does anyone happen to know who the uniformed player is in the dugout? He appears to be African American.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1947 Dodgers.jpg (76.7 KB, 92 views)
Old 03-03-2018, 07:08 AM
Rick

Another photo showing the scoreboard with 1946 on top with Robinson in zipper uni top.

Last edited by RTK; 03-03-2018 at 07:15 AM.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:00 AM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

When writing the auction description for an Eddie Miksis Brooklyn Dodgers 1947 World Series worn jersey, I realized that it was a button front as opposed to the zipper style which was made for 1947. Looking through photos of the '47 season you can see both types worn by the team, and I wanted to know what the deal was. I had a talk with Eddie Miksis's son who told me that his dad wore a button up 1946 jersey during the 1947 because it fit him better than the new zippered ones. In fact his dad hated zippers and wouldn't wear anything with them throughout his personal life. He also shared that his mother, Eddie's wife, would custom tailor his uniforms every year so they had the loose fit he liked.

I wonder if all the guys shown with button up jerseys were on the team in 1946 (I haven't had time to study this) and either kept their old ones because they didn't like the zipper either, or weren't issued a new jersey by the team if their '46 set wasn't too worn out.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:37 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjb1952tjb View Post
Here's another image from Opening Day 1947. Does anyone happen to know who the uniformed player is in the dugout? He appears to be African American.
it looks like Don Newcombe to me.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
The next black player was Dan Bankhead, the first black pitcher in MLB. He followed Jackie by four months. My guess is that that is a white player. Kinda looks like Dixie Walker to me, making this question especially ironic.

Last edited by Dewey; 03-03-2018 at 12:09 PM.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:34 PM
Dewey St. Germaine

I agree. The player to the far left of the photo sitting in the dugout does look like Don Newcombe so if it his him then the date on this photo is obviously incorrect.

Quote:
Old 03-03-2018, 01:20 PM
Bobw

Default Duke Snider

Looks like Duke Snider to me....found another image taken the same time

Old 03-03-2018, 01:54 PM

It is definitely an opening day 1947 pic. I think bobw is right on. Nice sleuthing. The rookie Snider.
Old 03-03-2018, 02:11 PM
Dewey St. Germaine

I stand corrected with the blown up version of the pic. Definitely Duke Snider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
It is definitely an opening day 1947 pic. I think bobw is right on. Nice sleuthing. The rookie Snider.
Old 03-03-2018, 02:18 PM
And.rew Whi.te

Quote:
Originally Posted by accidental View Post
All I know is that it's not from opening day, Robinson wore a jersey with zipper on that date.

So, World Series is a definite possibility.
What a great photo!

This must be a post game photo (or perhaps post batting practice) as that bat looks like it took in inside fastball to the handle and busted Robinson right on the fists.
Old 03-03-2018, 03:33 PM
G@ry Sƈ@m.ҽh.0ɾn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobw View Post
I'll give it a shot....I think it is from the 1947 World Series because of the signage.

The first is a Getty image that is supposed to be April 15 ,1947 against the Braves, provided Getty is accurate about the date. There is a different sign to the left of the Coca Cola

The second image is a wire photo of Cookie Lavagetto's hit and the signs and bunting match

Thanks! Also, I know it's New York, but the guy next to Jackie is wearing a coat. Considering it was probably the first week of Oct...that would make sense too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygary View Post
When writing the auction description for an Eddie Miksis Brooklyn Dodgers 1947 World Series worn jersey, I realized that it was a button front as opposed to the zipper style which was made for 1947. Looking through photos of the '47 season you can see both types worn by the team, and I wanted to know what the deal was. I had a talk with Eddie Miksis's son who told me that his dad wore a button up 1946 jersey during the 1947 because it fit him better than the new zippered ones. In fact his dad hated zippers and wouldn't wear anything with them throughout his personal life. He also shared that his mother, Eddie's wife, would custom tailor his uniforms every year so they had the loose fit he liked.

I wonder if all the guys shown with button up jerseys were on the team in 1946 (I haven't had time to study this) and either kept their old ones because they didn't like the zipper either, or weren't issued a new jersey by the team if their '46 set wasn't too worn out.
Really cool info there! I honestly couldn't figure it out, and it could just be they hated the zipper,lol...who would of thought it could be something so simple?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehse View Post
What a great photo!

This must be a post game photo (or perhaps post batting practice) as that bat looks like it took in inside fastball to the handle and busted Robinson right on the fists.
Great eye! Didn't notice that until now. Very cool!