NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 03-29-2016, 07:44 AM
Mark

Default Show your "High Personal Value/Low Collector Value" Items

Sometimes memories can out-value an item collect ability..

Every collection is dotted with things that mean a lot to the collector, but don't really have much value on the open market.

These are mine that I recently was able to restore to my collection.

I lived in rural Nebraska in 1970 so anything baseball and baseball card related was huge to me. On the left was a lunch box that I had as a kid that included a spinner and magnets that allowed you to "play" a baseball game. A huge deal to an 8 year old.

On the right is a plastic locker that stored baseball cards by team. It was the only baseball card related item I had ever seen that wasn't actual cards.

Both of these aren't easy to find in the exact condition I wanted and at a reasonable price because there's so little collector interest in them other than for me. I recently went on a search to find both of them and relive those memories of being a baseball fan as a kid again.

What items do you have in your collection that are not cards....but hold a lot of memories for you even though no one else might share it's value?

Old 03-29-2016, 10:19 AM

Probably straight from the cereal box in 71. To make sure everyone knew it was mine, and hence my Net54 ID as well, I wrote my name on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 71 Kellog back.jpg (77.9 KB, 309 views)
File Type: jpg 71 Kelloggs front.jpg (67.6 KB, 305 views)
Old 03-29-2016, 10:49 AM
Mike Biggans

Don't have it with me, but mine is a 1963F Roberto Clemente.

1981, when I was 11 years old, my father and I went to a local flea market while my sisters and mother waited in the car. We always went to that flea market because there were 2 guys that had baseball stuff.

When I got back out to the car, being super excited, my mouth out ran my brain and said something like "Dad bought a Roberto Clemente card for $5!"

My mother was livid! At the time it was unheard of to pay that kind of money for a card! Haha

Sadly, my father passed away in 1985.

Many years later I remember telling my mother what the card was worth.

I had it graded by SGC a while back to make sure it stayed in exactly the same condition it was, even though it wasn't mint.

I know it's a high profile name, but I hope it fits the thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-29-2016, 11:30 AM
And*y Quig!ey

I got a Tom Seaver autographed ball as a gift from my mother that I've always known had to be fake; sold by some pseudo reputable dealer.
I never said a word and I always liked it more than the real thing because it was from my mom. It will always sit proudly among my Mets memorabilia.
Also, my Mom was a massive Willie Mays fan from his NY days. My brother and I got a picture signed for her at a card show in about 1981. That photo is a very nice keepsake for me too.
I know this post isn't about cards, but I also value my 1973 PSA 5 (MC) Roberto Clemente procured in one of the hundreds of packs I bought at the age of seven. I think the '73 is a truly great card, but I don't think I'll ever consider getting another one.

Thanks for the topic.

Andy
Old 03-29-2016, 02:26 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Good idea for a thread.

I am a Met fan and Mantle was OK but I never idolized him as others did. BUT...my user name on eBay since 1997 has been sportmags so I think that this item is really cool. I have no idea of the value but have never seen another one anywhere.

Jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0565.jpg (38.1 KB, 272 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0566.jpg (34.7 KB, 272 views)
Old 03-29-2016, 05:37 PM
jerry

Not the best condition but being a Mantle fan I had to have it. Found this at a flea market a few years back for $2.00.
Old 03-29-2016, 05:59 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I'm a diehard Mets fan, but (unlike most New Yorkers) I actually rooted big time for the Yankees, too. And Reggie was the frickin' man!!! I sent a couple of Reggie bar wrappers (just the square orange portion of them) to him at Yankee stadium in the late 70's - early 80's and he signed them for me. It's not a great looking signature, because it's written on a waxy surface, but I love it!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:24 AM

I love all your stories, guys. Thanks. --Brian Powell
Old 03-30-2016, 03:37 PM
Al Richter

Default Cardinals

Musial Phone cards

1967---ash tray

poster

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 03-30-2016 at 03:49 PM.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:45 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I got this over 40 years ago. First old card in my collection.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 04-01-2016, 03:36 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

I don't have pictures with me or else I'd post them here, but my personal item is a scorecard from the 2007 Futures at Fenway game signed by the Lowell Spinners. They had an autograph session during the afternoon, and the way it was set up was the queue split up in to two lines, and each line would get autographs from half of the team. I went through the line that had Nick Hagadone, at the time one of the top prospects in Boston's system, and circled back to try and get the other half of the team as well. Security had already closed off the other line, but one of the Spinners saw me and motioned for me to come up to the table anyways. I did, and got the other half of the team. In total, I got autographs from 27 players, most of who never made the majors (Felix Doubront is the biggest name on there by far). The scorecard isn't worth much, but it's still one of my favorite pieces in my collection.
Old 04-01-2016, 05:29 PM
rgpete

Saved from the trash
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ford 001.jpg (30.5 KB, 103 views)
Old 04-01-2016, 07:07 PM
D@le Irv*n

This would have to be mine.

Thinking back and thinking that my Uncle, who absolutely loved baseball, actually got to meet Mickey Mantle and get his picture taken with him, and Dizzy Trout, is something that is very special to me.

Although we never got to know each other very well, (I was born in 64, he lived in Pontiac Mich and I am from Ont. Canada. (My Dad has dual citizenship) the stories I have heard about him make me think we would have got along great.

I'll never sell this pic, and I have no idea if it is worth anything anyways, but the value it brings to me is something more than what money can buy.

Last edited by irv; 04-05-2017 at 01:57 PM.
Old 04-01-2016, 07:31 PM
Daniel Police

That picture with Mickey is incredible!
Old 04-01-2016, 09:42 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Very cool. Is that your uncle, closest to the Mick? Any idea what game this was taken at? Or approximate date? Inquiring minds want to know.

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Old 04-01-2016, 09:52 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageBucs View Post
That picture with Mickey is incredible!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Very cool. Is that your uncle, closest to the Mick? Any idea what game this was taken at? Or approximate date? Inquiring minds want to know.
My Uncle is the guy closest to us. I assume that is my Uncle's friend, Norm, as the other guy is Dizzy Trout, with the glasses.
The pic was taken just prior to a 1958 World Series game, listed on the back of the pic here.

Last edited by irv; 04-05-2017 at 01:57 PM.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:07 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I guess your uncle was a nice guy. He should've pushed Norm out of the freakin' way!! Ha ha. That is exceptionally cool that the photo was taken at a World Series game. A piece of history indeed. Yowza!!!!

Casey Stengel

Old 04-01-2016, 11:13 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Musial Phone cards

1967---ash tray

poster

Al,

Is there anything you DON'T have?

I also love the stories from everyone, and the lunch box brought back a flood of childhood memories.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:54 PM
Archive

Hi Mark

Wish I had known you were looking for one of those red card lockers because it would have put an even greater spin on the story.

I attended a large toy show a few months back and found one of those card lockers. Having never seen one before and not ever finding much baseball items at toy shows, I bought it. They do make nice display pieces.

After reading your post I noticed your location. That's when I started shaking my head. The toy show where I bought it was in Kalamazoo!

It would have been interesting if you had bought mine only to have it shipped back to Kalamazoo where I bought it.

Jantz
Old 04-02-2016, 06:48 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
I guess your uncle was a nice guy. He should've pushed Norm out of the freakin' way!! Ha ha. That is exceptionally cool that the photo was taken at a World Series game. A piece of history indeed. Yowza!!!!
LOL.

Truthfully, I wasn't aware of the significance of the photo as I figured lots of personal photos like this likely exist out there, but reading what you stated, has me rethinking it, especially since it's a WS game with Mickey Mantle and a family member in the pic.