NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 04-04-2016, 09:16 AM
Mark

Default Are selfies killing autographs?

I read an article asking celebrities about fan encounters. They pointed out that people are no longer asking for autographs, instead asking to take selfies.

I can understand the charm of those for fans, but could this spell the end of the autograph collecting model? You really can't sell a selfie on ebay and I doubt PSA will grade them anyway.

Much like ticket stubs becoming a dying collectible thanks to on-line ticket buying, are autopgraphs next?
Old 04-04-2016, 09:36 AM
Marc S.

I don't think autograph collecting will ever go away.

But it may evolve, and exist in different forms. I think a picture or an encounter is much, much more memorable to a child or a collector than an autograph. But then again, we're talking about two different things here. The autograph may have long term value to the hobby, but the selfie (Whether autographed, personalized, etc.) is really specific to the individual.

The past generation has taught players, collectors and kids alike that autographs are a commodity, to be bought and sold. Experiences are memories, which are more important to building fans and love of sport.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:41 AM
qu@n nguy3n

a selfie is a more authentic and genuine gesture for both the player and fan, we should encourage that...not a 13 yr old kid with a binder full of cards begging for autographs.

the hobby will be fine, if there's a demand there'll be supply.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:03 AM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

selfies are cool and very memorable, but i don't think i'll ever stop enjoying these:

Old 04-04-2016, 07:57 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

Maybe modern selfies are a good thing. At least you should be able to tell who the player is as opposed to trying to later decipher a dash, line and scribble posing as an autograph.
Drew
Old 04-04-2016, 07:58 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Hey, if it means less competition down the road, that's fine by me.

In all seriousness, I think the selfie trend may complement the hobby i.e., someone will take a selfie with Derek Jeter and display it with a signed 3x5 or something.

Last edited by egri; 04-04-2016 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-04-2016, 08:17 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostdone View Post
Maybe modern selfies are a good thing. At least you should be able to tell who the player is as opposed to trying to later decipher a dash, line and scribble posing as an autograph.
Drew
You know it's coming. Wait until people start using weird filters and photoshop effects to said selfies and next thing you know, the players in the photos will also be undecipherable.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 04-05-2016, 01:26 AM
Bill Gregory

How about the unholiest of combinations? Selfies taken while a player gives you an autograph?

"Hey, Mr, Trout, can you sign this for me? And, mind if I creep up next to you, and snap a pic of you signing that card for me?"

Now that I think about it, I wouldn't be surprised to see this happen. Hey, that way you know the autograph is legit. Selling a card, and need some provenance? Here's a pic of my card getting signed.

It will happen.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:23 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
How about the unholiest of combinations? Selfies taken while a player gives you an autograph?

"Hey, Mr, Trout, can you sign this for me? And, mind if I creep up next to you, and snap a pic of you signing that card for me?"

Now that I think about it, I wouldn't be surprised to see this happen. Hey, that way you know the autograph is legit. Selling a card, and need some provenance? Here's a pic of my card getting signed.

It will happen.
Already does. Peruse the ebay listings for most rock n roll or entertainment autographs and many sellers use selfies to try and prove the items were signed in their presence.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 04-07-2016, 08:40 AM
Tyler

I'm not really into selfies, but my theatre room at my house is filled with framed jerseys on the wall, that I have had autographed in person. For the majority of them, I have either had someone take my picture, or I have taken a picture of my son/daughter with the player when they requested the autograph. For me, I could care less about the value of the autograph, or resell value, so I do not care to have any of them "authenticated" as I obtained the autograph in person and know its legit. Having the picture, just captures the moment.

Last edited by Filthy; 04-07-2016 at 08:45 AM.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:06 PM
Mark

You guys seem to be missing the bigger picture. We older , more established collectors will always understand autographs. But to the youth of today, they are no longer going to be asking for autographs and will be satisfied with selfies.

Celebrities aren't getting asked to sign things, they're getting asked to pose.....take that fact out 20 years and autographs will be a quaint relic of older days - much like ticket stubs.
Old 04-09-2016, 04:47 AM
Bill Gregory

Selfies just seem juvenile to me. If I want my picture taken with a ball player, I'm going to stand next to them, and have somebody take a proper photo.

And I'll take an autograph over a picture any way of the week.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.