NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-24-2020, 11:29 AM
James Gallo

Default SGC Turn around times

So for the first time in a long time I sent a group of stuff to SGC. I was astonished to see they only had 2 turn around options 1-2 days and 40 days. I have never seen any grading company have such a limited option and was wondering how its been working out for everyone.

James G
Old 08-24-2020, 12:29 PM
Tony. Biviano

Their turnaround times was one the best features. Now they have gone the way of PSA. Rest in Peace SGC.
Old 08-24-2020, 12:44 PM

I thought these turnaround times/system was only temporary due to the influx?
Schlei (Catching) Back run: 10/12 (minus blank back)

Actively collecting t206 Hall of Famers, Southern Leaguers, and Various backs in good to excellent condition. Love talking cards too.
Old 08-24-2020, 01:06 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazoo View Post
I thought these turnaround times/system was only temporary due to the influx?
Doesn't that bode as well for PSA and BVG???? They are all being "influxed".
Old 08-24-2020, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Doesn't that bode as well for PSA and BVG???? They are all being "influxed".
They’re not the grading company in question here. I’m solely pointing out that I thought these new grading options are only temporary. If I wanted to wait 6 months for my cards to get graded by PSA pre or post Covid I still have that option!

Actively collecting t206 Hall of Famers, Southern Leaguers, and Various backs in good to excellent condition. Love talking cards too.
Old 08-24-2020, 02:02 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazoo View Post
They’re not the grading company in question here. I’m solely pointing out that I thought these new grading options are only temporary. If I wanted to wait 6 months for my cards to get graded by PSA pre or post Covid I still have that option!
I am just saying that ALL card graders have long wait times now. PSA was not always 6+ months.
Old 08-24-2020, 03:40 PM
James Gallo

Well my point is that PSA has multiple turnaround options some are very much on time like the express service, the bulk is what takes forever but this seems to have gotten slightly better as well.

SGC has two options 1-2 days and 40-45 days. I have never seen anything like this with just the two options.

I also don't know how true that 40-45 days is but I guess we will find out.

I assume there have not been any updates to their registry either.

James G
Old 08-24-2020, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGallo View Post
Well my point is that PSA has multiple turnaround options some are very much on time like the express service, the bulk is what takes forever but this seems to have gotten slightly better as well.

SGC has two options 1-2 days and 40-45 days. I have never seen anything like this with just the two options.

I also don't know how true that 40-45 days is but I guess we will find out.

I assume there have not been any updates to their registry either.

James G
From what I’ve heard, it’s been longer. Things may be normalizing slightly, but probably not since 90% of its modern.

Old 08-24-2020, 03:57 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

I'm hearing a lot longer. There is a recent youtube interview from Cardboard Chronicles with the SGC grader for why they went from different service levels to either "I NEED IT NOW" or "I can wait for it."
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 08-24-2020, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGallo View Post
So for the first time in a long time I sent a group of stuff to SGC. I was astonished to see they only had 2 turn around options 1-2 days and 40 days. I have never seen any grading company have such a limited option and was wondering how its been working out for everyone.

James G

Well, I submitted a small 7 card order that was received by them on May 19, back when they still had the 20 business day service. In the interim, they revised their turnaround times to the current estimated 40 business day model.

Accounting for time off due to Memorial Day and Independence Day, my submission still shows "Received" on day 68...

Tom S@ndl!n

Last edited by Tom S.; 08-24-2020 at 04:12 PM. Reason: added name
Old 08-24-2020, 04:31 PM
James Gallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S. View Post
Well, I submitted a small 7 card order that was received by them on May 19, back when they still had the 20 business day service. In the interim, they revised their turnaround times to the current estimated 40 business day model.

Accounting for time off due to Memorial Day and Independence Day, my submission still shows "Received" on day 68...

Tom S@ndl!n
Ugg this is not what I wanted to hear..... at least with PSA I have the option of paying more and getting my cards sooner. Tom have you inquired as to where your order is?

James G
Old 08-24-2020, 05:19 PM

No, I haven't called or emailed them about my submission yet. I'm giving them some slack due to COVID and being swamped with orders. I will probably change my mind in a couple of weeks though if there is no change in status.

As an aside, I hope that they are following a First In First Out (FIFO) policy with all of the "it can wait" submissions. It would be a shame to find out that a large order for "Auction House X" jumped the line of all the smaller "Joe Collector" subs, just because the auction house order needed to be processed for a quickly upcoming auction.

Tom S@ndl!n

Last edited by Tom S.; 08-24-2020 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Added commentary
Old 08-26-2020, 07:47 PM

From SGC for Cards Received by them on July 13, 2020 for 20 day turn-around:

"Thank you for your submission. I sincerely apologize for the extended delays facing your order. Submissions made around the time yours was are seeing delays of over two months. The best estimate of completion I can offer at this time would be sometime in early November for your order. I know this is frustrating and I share your frustration.

The truth is that we are in a fluid, ever-changing situation. Prior to the influx of submissions, we were meeting or beating turnaround times the vast majority of the time. As the submission volume accelerated, it was difficult to predict the level of delay orders would face. We are trying to keep as updated estimates as possible, but they can change as time goes on. As production increases, these estimates will begin to decrease and turnaround times will return to normal.

The good news is that we have quadrupled our team and we are increasing production each day, but there is still some ground to make up before we are caught up to normal turnaround times. You may have already seen our most recent update on social media or on our website, but in case you missed it, you can find it here for information on how we’re handling this situation going forward. We look forward to completing and returning your order as soon as we are able.

Best,
Tyler

Tyler Grady
Director of Business Development"

So I would question the 40 day turn-around now offered by them.
Old 08-26-2020, 08:16 PM
B€nj@Min J@m€s

I had two 45 Day turnaround submissions out before they changed the turnaround times.

Received May 7th
Shipped August 10th

FWIW
2019 Donruss Optic Holo Zion shipped back. Had a piece of debris stuck in between card and holder. A couple of slabs with light scratches on the back. Happy with other cards and the grades given.

Other order received June 11th. Still waiting...
Old 08-27-2020, 10:31 PM
Andrew Mc.Gann

I have 2 subs in with SGC - one is 1 card and the other is 3. The turnaround time was supposed to be 20 days. I'm currently on business day 64 for both. I was told it would be 3 more weeks. So, yes, the 40-day thing is a total farce.
Old 08-28-2020, 06:42 AM
Robert Williams

It's bad for everyone. And probably going to get worse. Demand FARRRR outpaces supply. Maybe a good time to invest in CLCT?
Old 08-28-2020, 06:47 AM
Robert Williams

As an afterthought, I just checked out the price of CLCT stock. When I was tracking it when Corona first hit, it was ranging between $15-$20. Where is it now? $46.14. YIKES!!!!