NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-10-2020, 08:54 PM
Chris / prewarprints.com

Default Goudey / T206 Top Loader "Frames"

Starting a new thread because I don't want to completely hijack Brent's "Repurposing SGC Inserts" thread.

Cleanly holding T206's and Goudeys in toploaders is a problem that has haunted me forever, it seems. I've been working to get some prototype frames made so maybe I can find the right solution and finally sleep after all these years.

The first version fits into penny sleeve and then top loader. Here's the image I posted earlier:

Feedback seemed to be that black was the choice and it was preferred that the frame better fit the toploader. Next round more fully fits the width and height of the toploader. Here's the image of those for both T's and Goudeys:

IMG-1135
IMG-1136

Are these better? Would appreciate any thoughts you're willing to give.

I'd also love more thoughts on the size of the cutouts, stock thickness, etc. If anyone is interested in giving me some hands-on feedback, please PM me your addy and I'll shoot one or both your way. Nothing for sale! Just looking for real world insight.

Last edited by slantycouch; 06-10-2020 at 08:55 PM.
Old 06-10-2020, 09:06 PM
Ben North

The only thing I can offer is to offset the hole farther down. That way a label can be put at the top. Avery makes labels that are 1/2 X 1 3/4. I know I personally want to be able to label my cards.
Old 06-10-2020, 09:55 PM
Paul

I love them. I bought the BCW Tobacco Insert sleeves for my T206s. Those look good, but these take it to another level. This simple insert would really drive up presentation value of the typical top holder. Well done... and where can I get 520 of them?

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 06-10-2020, 10:08 PM
+0m J()rd@N

What a great way to display and protect a card while keeping it 'raw'.

How thick are the frames? I'd want them to be thick enough to not let the card dislodge from the frame while it is in a toploader.

And if it was shifted down so to leave room at the top for a label, I'd want the label printed with some standard font/design. These frames look professional enough that you wouldn't want a hand written label on them.

Nicely done.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 06-10-2020, 10:32 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I prefer them just the way you have them. Perfectly centered, and let the card speak for itself. Perhaps you can create/market both types, based on preference (room for label, or no label).

I have a bunch of raw Goudeys that I would love to display the exact way that you have pictured in the original post.... no penny sleeve and no label. Just beautiful!

Last edited by perezfan; 06-10-2020 at 10:38 PM.
Old 06-11-2020, 04:05 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
What a great way to display and protect a card while keeping it 'raw'.

How thick are the frames? I'd want them to be thick enough to not let the card dislodge from the frame while it is in a toploader.

And if it was shifted down so to leave room at the top for a label, I'd want the label printed with some standard font/design. These frames look professional enough that you wouldn't want a hand written label on them.

Nicely done.
Avery makes labels so you can design and print any type of label you want on you home printer.
Old 06-11-2020, 04:43 AM

How is the card secured in the frame?
Old 06-11-2020, 05:03 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georj View Post
The frame with the card in it is inserted into a toploader. There is no place for the card to go anywhere as it is surrounded by the frame and toploader.
Old 06-11-2020, 08:30 AM
Chris / prewarprints.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
The only thing I can offer is to offset the hole farther down. That way a label can be put at the top. Avery makes labels that are 1/2 X 1 3/4. I know I personally want to be able to label my cards.
Good feedback. It's possible I could get a couple different designs, including one to accommodate labels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
I love them. I bought the BCW Tobacco Insert sleeves for my T206s. Those look good, but these take it to another level. This simple insert would really drive up presentation value of the typical top holder. Well done... and where can I get 520 of them?
If I can get these right I'll be glad to find a way to get some to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
That's the right question! It's also been the hardest and why this has taken so much longer than I expected. I've ordered several different types of stock and still haven't found the perfect one that is inert/acid-free, slides easily into the toploader, but also doesn't move around once in there. I've got one on the way that I think will be the answer. Fingers crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
I have a bunch of raw Goudeys that I would love to display the exact way that you have pictured in the original post.... no penny sleeve and no label. Just beautiful!
Thanks! I agree the Goudeys really pop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georj View Post
Ben's correct that they aren't secured by anything except the constraint on all sides by the frame, and the top and bottom by the toploader.

Please note my offer still stands to send anyone interested a couple of these to use and provide feedback after using them.
Old 06-11-2020, 09:06 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by slantycouch View Post
Good feedback. It's possible I could get a couple different designs, including one to accommodate labels.

If I can get these right I'll be glad to find a way to get some to you.

That's the right question! It's also been the hardest and why this has taken so much longer than I expected. I've ordered several different types of stock and still haven't found the perfect one that is inert/acid-free, slides easily into the toploader, but also doesn't move around once in there. I've got one on the way that I think will be the answer. Fingers crossed.

Thanks! I agree the Goudeys really pop.

Ben's correct that they aren't secured by anything except the constraint on all sides by the frame, and the top and bottom by the toploader.

Please note my offer still stands to send anyone interested a couple of these to use and provide feedback after using them.
You fix the insert moving around by making the top of it be the same height as the top of the toploader. Then use a toploader sleeve or bag or whatever they are called.

I would like to check out the tobacco card one.
Old 06-11-2020, 09:07 AM
Chris / prewarprints.com

Quote:
You fix the insert moving around by making the top of it be the same height as the top of the toploader. Then use a toploader sleeve or bag or whatever they are called.
Absolutely. Those seal-able bags make it nearly 100% secure.
Old 06-18-2020, 01:54 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Absolutely. Those seal-able bags make it nearly 100% secure.
Good luck with the project!
Old 06-19-2020, 07:41 AM
Brian Taylor

These look great. Would love to get some for T206's once you've perfected them!
Old 06-19-2020, 05:19 PM
Ben North

Here are 4 designs. The ones on the left have a mylar sleeve you put the card in that fits into the black insert.

The blank labels are Avery 5422, if you have a home printer can make very nice personalized labels for your cards.

I would like to thank Rick Hyatt tcverify.com for making the DIY kits on the left side. I would also like to thank the OP of this thread for the making the kit on the right without the label. The one with the label is a cut down SGC insert I made. I believe the OP will be making similar kits though.

No matter what design you like I think these are by far the best way to store and display Tobacco cards I have ever seen. So harass the fine gentleman that has the design you like and purchase some from a fellow member.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4holders.jpg (68.5 KB, 268 views)
Old 06-20-2020, 07:45 AM
Chris / prewarprints.com

Neat to see them all together, Ben. Is the one I sent too snug L/R for the T210? Does the cutout need to be expanded any?
Old 06-20-2020, 09:24 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Neat to see them all together, Ben. Is the one I sent too snug L/R for the T210? Does the cutout need to be expanded any?
No they are perfectly sized. The pic makes it look way tighter than it really is.

Having all 4 in hand is nice. It gave me a chance to really see what they are like and what one I like best.

Hopefully both you fine gentlemen sell a lot of them because both are high quality products.

If anybody has any questions on the insert/DIY kits I would be more than happy to answer them.

I am not sure how Chris is going to sell his product. I am sure he will post if he is just selling the insert or is going to make some sort of compete kit or both hopefully.

Rick sells them as a whole DIY kit.

You Get:
Mylar sleeve for the card.
Black insert the sleeve fits in.
Toploader
Toploader Sleeve that is WAY better than a Ultra Pro toploader sleeve.
Plus you get a cool yellow strip of paper that you use to help guide your cards into the Mylar sleeve so no worries about dinging a corner. This is a great all in one product.
Old 06-20-2020, 11:32 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

For my collection, I much prefer the example at the bottom-right. Will this style be available for Goudey, in addition to Tobacco Cards?

What a great alternative for people who don't want to wait over 6 months to get their cards, don't want to risk losing/damaging them in transit, don't want other people handling them, don't want to support corrupt/fraudulent companies, and don't need randomly opined numbers and ugly bar codes polluting their aesthetics.

Hope it catches on, and best of luck with this endeavor!

Last edited by perezfan; 06-20-2020 at 11:33 AM.
Old 06-20-2020, 03:39 PM
Bob Donaldson

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
For my collection, I much prefer the example at the bottom-right. Will this style be available for Goudey, in addition to Tobacco Cards?

What a great alternative for people who don't want to wait over 6 months to get their cards, don't want to risk losing/damaging them in transit, don't want other people handling them, don't want to support corrupt/fraudulent companies, and don't need randomly opined numbers and ugly bar codes polluting their aesthetics.

Hope it catches on, and best of luck with this endeavor!
I agree, bottom right gets my vote
Old 06-20-2020, 06:25 PM
+0m J()rd@N

SlantyChris,

Thanks much for the T206 frame. Put one of my cards in it and I really like the form/fit/function of this version. The width fits my card nicely, though there is some margin top/bottom. Not sure if my card is short or if the frame is long or they are both within the tolerances of typical T206s. Either way, it seems to hold the card securely and works much better than a toploader alone.

I really like the fact that it protects the card while not sealing it in a plastic tomb. I'm not a fanatic of razor sharp corners and perfect surfaces, so I feel like I can judge those aspects of a card as good or better than a TPA. And using the frame, I can still touch the raw card if I desire.

1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 07-09-2020, 11:24 AM
Dan

I'm very much late to this party, but love how these look. I'd certainly have interest in the Goudey-sized ones, with the intent of using them to frame and center the cards in a binder page.

I'm wondering: is it feasible/practical to increase the height of the opening by 1/8" (to 3")? Or is there already enough tolerance in these to accommodate? That small change would allow it to fit Cracker Jacks (2.25x3") which I feel really benefit from the SGC-style frames but are so thin that they really seem to need some extra protection around them. This dimension would also work for a handful of other sets as well (US Caramel, Batter-Up, '47 Tip Top Bread)

Regardless of your answer, I love the concept -- this is exactly the type of thing that I've been looking for.

Twitter: @grandcards
eBay: GrandCards

Successfull Net54 Transactions
Sold to: jburl;KMayUSA6060;qed2190; CrackaJackKid;LuckyLarry;Tiger8Mush;Moonlight Graham;NateMack;Ricky;Tao_Moko
Traded With: Tim Zwick; G1911; Republicaninmass; MuncieNolePAZ
Bought From: at least 2 dozen different members to-date
Old 08-29-2020, 07:48 AM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

Default where can i get these?

Quote:
No they are perfectly sized. The pic makes it look way tighter than it really is.

Rick sells them as a whole DIY kit.

You Get:
Mylar sleeve for the card.
Black insert the sleeve fits in.
Toploader
Toploader Sleeve that is WAY better than a Ultra Pro toploader sleeve.
Plus you get a cool yellow strip of paper that you use to help guide your cards into the Mylar sleeve so no worries about dinging a corner. This is a great all in one product.
is there a link or a post where i can look at these?