NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Basketball / Cricket / Tennis Cards Forum

Old 11-02-2020, 03:59 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

Default Star basketball sealed set discussion

Hi again. I thought it might be useful to talk about an experience I had with a sealed star set.

Since I've gotten back into star basketball my purchases have been sealed sets. My rationale was a combo of value and investment. There are three different types of bagged sets that I know of. The 1983 all star set which is essentially tight shrink wrap making corners condition sensitive and most other sets are either one of two variations of heat seal bags, looser or more form fitting.

Up to this point the bagged sets I had bought were in good shape with the plastic still being supple and clear. Then I received a set today that was my inspiration for writing this.

As many star collectors know the backs are susceptible to toning/browning. This experience gave me insight as to why and what it may mean for certain card values.

The bag I bought was an 86 Sixers, bought for the Barkley and Erving but had no intention to open. Upon receiving the bag (which was priced very low), I immediately noticed the browning on the bag, it's crispiness (dry plastic) and the toning on the back card (Leon Wood). Most, not all, but most star bags are the same sequence always. The front card (Mo Cheeks) also had one thin stripe down the back edge with significant toning as well.

I considered my options, and decided to try wiping the outside of the plastic to see if the surface dirt would remove. That's when the whole seal gave way, and believe me, I was being careful. It was so brittle.

At that point I was stuck and decided to take a look at the cards. Luckily for me, the Barkley and Erving are absolutely beautiful, with the tiniest amount of toning on Barkley but nothing significant.

From the original listing I could tell the bag had some age to it, but up close the fragility was much more obvious.

Long story short here was some of what I learned.
1. The first and last cards in a bag (especially the last/back card) are the best indicators to the health/condition of the bag)
2. These bags definitely had bad reactions to temperature, sunlight or both
3 sealed bags that have survived are of a fairly low number. Remember most star sets were only produced in numbers between 3500-10000.
4. Toning on these cards are good indicators of authenticity. This could be especially important with the Jordan's featured as front/back cards.
5. When buying sealed bags, don't be lulled into a false sense of security about condition and check scans closely.

While I will still continue to look for/ buy sealed bags, this experience has definitely pushed me back toward looking at graded singles. Given the low print runs and numbers with damage/issues, high graded singles are likely the safest long term bet and not subject to the problems of deterioration bags face.

Unanswered questions:
1. What exact factors cause these reactions in the bags?
2. What role does time play, and does it mean that certain bagged sets should be opened to protect the cards?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg star3.jpg (73.6 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg star2.jpg (73.0 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg star1.jpg (67.0 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg star4.jpg (71.1 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg star5.jpg (69.1 KB, 83 views)

Last edited by Econteachert205; 11-02-2020 at 04:30 PM.
Old 11-02-2020, 04:03 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

The only time I've seen polyethylene roached like that is with exposure to water and heat. #9 looks moisture-stained, not browned.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 11-02-2020 at 04:04 PM.
Old 11-02-2020, 04:10 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

They came from Florida so that makes sense. Up close the wood shows no physical signs of water damage other than the discoloration.

Last edited by Econteachert205; 11-02-2020 at 04:14 PM.
Old 11-06-2020, 01:22 PM
Steve Birmingham

I'd go with heat too. Like if it spent a bunch of time on a flea market dealers table, and florida gets pretty hot.

There's different types of Poly, and I don't have a Star bag. But I will say that regular penny sleeves will become too brittle to touch after a few years of sun exposure. They'll actually protect the card from fading, which is sort of cool.

I'm not sure how sealed the bags are, but if they're totally sealed, then whatever air was in there when they were packed is what will still be there years later. If they were packed humid (or even realtivly dry) the cards have a water content. Heat makes the water evaporate, then the AC in the car on the way home condenses it. I had that happen with a cheap small set of cards I bought from a guy who did his own bag sealing. bought on a day that was around 100, got it home and there was water in the bag. It was only a $1 set of junk, so it wasn't that annoying.