NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 11-03-2020, 05:23 PM
Mark

Default Anyone know how to straighten an original hartland bat?

I bought a box from an estate titled linens and baseball men and was pleasantly surprised to find five hartlands with 3 original bats. Two of bats are badly bent I am sure from years of leaning against a box. I am hoping there is a way to straighten these out. Any ideas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 05E8B4FF-8A8B-4C99-B997-AA21969CAC70.jpg (10.0 KB, 201 views)
File Type: jpg BE977A55-53FC-425D-9097-85E087749EA4.jpg (15.6 KB, 201 views)
Old 11-03-2020, 10:23 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default Hartland bats

Hi Mark:

Long time no talk. Hope all is well with you and yours!

Are we assuming the three bats you got in the estate sale are for the statues you got in the same group? It looks like you got 2 Musial's, a Williams and an Aaron correct?

The reason I ask is that the original Babe Ruth bat came with a little "crook" in it so it would stay in the hole of his hand. The Ruth bat is the only one that "goes down" meaning it hits the floor where all the others go up in the air out of the players hand. So the bat would better stay in Ruth's hands they put the "crook" in.

From what I can see from your photo yours MAY be a little more pronounced than the Ruth bat, but can't tell for sure. Would you say the two in question were large bats or small ones? What is the length from the wide tip of the bat to where the "crook" starts?

I'd be sure it was not a Ruth bat before you try to straighten them out as the original Ruth bats are harder to find.

Last edited by whiteymet; 11-03-2020 at 10:31 PM.
Old 11-03-2020, 10:31 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteymet View Post
Hi Mark:

Long tine no talk. Hope all is well with you and yours!

Are we assuming the three bats you got in the estate sale are for the statues you got in the same group? It looks like you got 2 Musial's, a Williams and an Aaron correct?

The reason I ask is that the original Babe Ruth bat came with a little "crook" in it so it would stay in the hole of his hand. The Ruth bat is the only one that "goes down" meaning it hits the floor where all the others go up in the air out of the players hand. So the bat would better stay in Ruth's hands they put the "crook" in.

From what I can see from your photo yours MAY be a little more pronounced than the Ruth bat, but can't tell for sure. Would you say the two in question were large bats or small ones? What is the length from the wide tip of the bat to where the "crook" starts?

I'd be sure it was not a Ruth bat before you try to straighten them out as the original Ruth bats are harder to find.
The other one is Willie Mays. No idea regarding the bats.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”

Last edited by Michael B; 11-03-2020 at 10:32 PM.
Old 11-04-2020, 07:18 AM
Mark

The bat with severe bend came from the Ted Williams figure and the other from a Musial. I believe it is considered a short bat..
Old 11-04-2020, 07:49 AM
Mark

Now that I look at them again they are the same length so they are probably both normal bats. My set is in storage in Georgia so I can’t compare to my known short bat. I assume these bats are original to the statues they were found with, but I thought Musial took a short bat.
Old 11-07-2020, 09:08 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default straighten a Hartland bat

If you still want to straighten your bats here are a few ideas. But don't blame me if anything goes wrong!

First pour some boiling water in a small mug about half way full. Hold the top end and dip the bent end into the boiling water. Leave it in for a little while and take it out to see if it more pliable where you can carefully straighten it out. You may have to "dip" a few times.

Second way is to heat it with a hair dryer. Again when it gets heated enough you should be able to return it to the desired shape.

Good Luck. Let us know how you make out if you decide to give it a go.
Old 11-23-2020, 07:26 PM
Mark

They aren’t perfect, but I think they turned out pretty good. The one that was bent badly turned out way better than I expected and best of all they didn’t break.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg D75A51DD-D78A-44B8-9AD8-8B9B850E8051.jpeg (19.0 KB, 77 views)
Old 11-23-2020, 07:35 PM

Vastly improved without breaking. I'd call it a success.
Old 11-23-2020, 08:07 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default Hartland bats

They look great!!

So which method did you use?
Old 11-23-2020, 08:37 PM
Mark

I put them in hot water then put weight on them for several hours
Old 11-24-2020, 02:20 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Nice results!

I personally think some of these bats (beyond Ruth) were bent from the very beginning, so yours are well within the range of normalcy.

Great work!
Old 11-26-2020, 10:13 AM

Default Hartlands

Saw this post and will try! Thanks.