NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: Has the increase in cryptocurrency valuation casued you to purchase more cards than y
Yes 5 4.03%
No 93 75.00%
What are these crypto currency valuations you speak of? 26 20.97%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-17-2021, 08:35 AM
rob.ert int.rieri

Default Has cryptocurrency valuation escalation caused you to purchase more cards?

I was just curious if the increase in cryptocurrency valuations have caused you to purchase more cards than you would ordinarily would have (not asking if you are using cryptocurrency to purchase cards).

Last edited by iwantitiwinit; 05-17-2021 at 08:40 AM.
Old 05-17-2021, 10:09 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Once they develop a CBDC all Cryptos will be rendered worthless.
Old 05-17-2021, 12:37 PM

My interest in baseball cards has caused me to purchase more cards.
Old 05-17-2021, 12:46 PM
Peter Spaeth

I have a hard enough time understanding what it is, much less following it or making any decisions because of it.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-17-2021, 01:20 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

I have no idea. Maybe?
Old 05-17-2021, 01:29 PM
Chris Kim
Banned

why? unless one already own those crypto when they were pennies.
Old 05-17-2021, 02:05 PM

Everyone knows the best time to buy something is after everyone's heard about it. H
Old 05-17-2021, 04:20 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

No. I am guessing that unlike most here, I have profited off Crypto, but my collecting is largely divorced from my income. I live in low-grade cheap collecting land regardless of my income, and so there's no real effect. If anything, I've spent less because it's tougher this year to get cards at the price I think is fair with the rapid increases in many areas.
Old 05-17-2021, 04:37 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
No. I am guessing that unlike most here, I have profited off Crypto, but my collecting is largely divorced from my income. I live in low-grade cheap collecting land regardless of my income, and so there's no real effect. If anything, I've spent less because it's tougher this year to get cards at the price I think is fair with the rapid increases in many areas.
What Crypto(s) did you buy? I bought Bitcoin Cash a little over a month ago for two hundred something. It quickly went to nine hundred something within a couple of weeks and I sold. It went to fourteen hundred something after that, but last I looked it was at eleven hundred something. That was my only experience with any Crypto and it was very short lived. I think it's ok for the short term, but I don't like it long term. That's just my opinion.
Old 05-17-2021, 06:41 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
What Crypto(s) did you buy? I bought Bitcoin Cash a little over a month ago for two hundred something. It quickly went to nine hundred something within a couple of weeks and I sold. It went to fourteen hundred something after that, but last I looked it was at eleven hundred something. That was my only experience with any Crypto and it was very short lived. I think it's ok for the short term, but I don't like it long term. That's just my opinion.
I liked the blockchain technology and (just my personal opinion here) it's original libertarian purpose when this started 10+ years ago, to attempt to enable transactions and a trade system outside the effective regulation of states and with privacy. Now very little of it is is used as any kind of actual currency, and is a pretty extreme series of pumps and brief dumps (it can be a good buy still if you can tell when the dumps are coming, and if you think the longterm pumping will continue for some time, but I would not consider it a good long-term investment by any means). I would not buy in now, but I first bought Bitcoin in like 2011, and have sold some during these recent highs. I've had Ethereum, even made pretty good returns off the doge meme, dabbled in some penny ones that I think have a chance. I dabble here with some of my early profits (which I did not expect, or I would have put in a bit more and be retired in a mansion), but sold enough for a huge % profit because bitcoin was worth hardly anything back when I bought, and kept some of it. Long term, I think Bitcoin's tech is now out of date, its transaction time too long, I'd question how long it will be the big one.

I regret buying in just to try it and experiment with something that suited my interests and not to invest, but hindsight is 20/20 and money isn't that important in the course of life. if I'd put in just $1,000, I'd have tens of millions and a T206 Wager. When I first bought, bitcoin was trading at just a little more than the US dollar. Now, 1 bitcoin is about $45,000. No stock is ever going to pay off that well for me
Old 05-19-2021, 06:02 AM
rob.ert int.rieri

If this crypto price drop continues I'll have to change the poll to say..."Has the drop in crypto valuation caused you to slow your card purchases?"
Old 05-19-2021, 06:28 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantitiwinit View Post
If this crypto price drop continues I'll have to change the poll to say..."Has the drop in crypto valuation caused you to slow your card purchases?"
I think the whole bitcoin thing is crazy. I know I am in the minority but I can't see me investing in thin air.....LOL
Old 05-19-2021, 06:48 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I think the whole bitcoin thing is crazy. I know I am in the minority but I can't see me investing in thin air.....LOL
I agree. Recently there was an auction I browsed which had a few of these NBA tops shot "clips". Even clips number of /15000 had "estimates" of 5k. Where does it end?

When it does, it won't be pretty

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 05-19-2021, 07:05 AM
Ed
Ed DeS.erio

Well when it ends it won’t be pretty for the top shot bag holders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-19-2021, 07:31 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I agree, it is crazy. But I do believe there is quick money to be made in the short term. I wouldn't want to be holding the bag once a CBDC is fully implemented (and we're not that far away). That said, I bought Dogecoin (for the first time) this morning for less than $.32 share.
Old 05-19-2021, 08:02 AM
octavio ranzola

mike trout is down he got hurt ,,i know that much ,,ruth is stable
Old 05-19-2021, 10:08 AM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

I’m not invested in crypto; it’s something I don’t understand, and I don’t like investing in things I don’t understand. If other people are making money in it, great for them. I think part of this hysteria in the markets is a lot of the folks who have gotten in in the past year were still in school/not heavily invested in 2008, and are too young to remember the dot-com bubble. The only economic calamity they’ve experienced was last spring, and the markets recovered historically quickly. Other than that, their experience was in bull markets, which has lead to unrealistic expectations of how easy it is to make money. It reminds me of the saying ‘when a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience gets money, and the man with money gets experience’.
Old 05-19-2021, 10:47 AM
Robert J. Miller

My son is starting to look at Crypto. I have no clue about it.

What is CBDC some mentioned?

Thanks,
Bob
Old 05-19-2021, 01:17 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesfan View Post
My son is starting to look at Crypto. I have no clue about it.

What is CBDC some mentioned?

Thanks,
Bob
Central Bank Digital Currency.

It's just my opinion that once it's fully implemented, they'll render all other cryptos worthless and ban them.

China announced yesterday that they are cracking down on cryptos. That's why they're way down today.
Old 05-22-2021, 08:19 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Central Bank Digital Currency.

It's just my opinion that once it's fully implemented, they'll render all other cryptos worthless and ban them.

China announced yesterday that they are cracking down on cryptos. That's why they're way down today.
For me it's just too risky. I am all about risk/reward but prefer something I am more comfortable with. I think the whole crypto thing is a little crazy but that is just me.

Old 05-27-2021, 12:08 PM
Matt Payne

Default Crypto

As someone who been involved in the cryptocurrency/ defi space for about 4 years, and has worked on multiple blockchain applications, it has not. While I feel the value of alternative assets is rightly climbing, they are as a result of the insane money printing and planned spending in the past 13 months.
Old 05-27-2021, 12:54 PM
Bi11..R0berts

While it hasn't impacted my purchases, I do feel crypto, stimulus payments, a healthy stock market and a lot of spare time have all impacted the card market.
Successful transactions with: Chesboro41, jimivintage, Bocabirdman, marcdelpercio, Jollyelm, Smanzari, asoriano, pclpads, joem36, nolemmings, t206blogcom, Northviewcats, Xplainer, Kickstand19, GrayGhost, btcarfango, Brian Van Horn, USMC09, G36, scotgreb, tere1071, kurri17, wrm, David James, tjenkins, SteveWhite, OhioCard Collector, sysks22, ejstel. Marty