NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-08-2020, 08:03 AM

Default OT- RIP General Chuck Yeager- A true American hero

I noticed that the great General Chuck Yeager passed yesterday.
How ironic that Pearl Harbor Day was the day of his passing...
Gen. Yeager is remembered for so many things, but most notably being the 1st to ever break the sound barrier. He also was a WWII fighter ace, TWICE shooting down 4 enemy German planes in a single day.

I have a quick personal story to share:

In 1986 I was a wine buyer and captain at The Ritz restaurant in Newport Beach, CA. This was to be my last harrah in an 11 year run in the restaurant business before starting my professional career.
I was taking care of a private party of 60+ people within the aerospace industry and they had brought in Gen. Yeager as a keynote speaker.
This was shortly after Chuck Yeager's autobiography entitled Yeager came out in 1985. I had an opportunity to hear Gen. Yeager speak and he was truly amazing!!

As the evening was winding down, Gen. Yeager came over to me in the corner of the room and remarked at how he thought I had done a great job in overseeing the event that evening. He proceeded to sign a copy of his autobiography and give it to me as a parting gift.

That Christmas, I gifted this book to my 72 year old grandfather thinking he would appreciate reading it, which he did.
Fast forward 20 years and my grandmother Helen Cordray, that lived to age 103, was fortunate to escape a cabin fire in Upper Peninsula, MI when she was 92.
The cabin literally burned to the ground, but my grandmother escaped with her life which is amazing.
Literally 3 months ago, my brother in law that lives nearby asked me if I had given the book Yeager to my grandfather?
I let him know that I did, but wondered why?
He mentioned that only 3 items survived the fire and one of them remarkably was the signed Yeager book! Crazy!
The book, as you can see, had smoke damage on the outer portion of the pages, but was otherwise in great shape.

In 2020, literally 1 month ago, I finally read the book which was really a great read. Crazy!

Here is a toast to a true American hero- General Chuck Yeager.
Yeager certainly packed more amazing experiences into a 97 year life than virtually anyone in memory. RIP Gen. Chuck Yeager

Read this book!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yeager 1.jpg (44.4 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg Yeager 2.jpg (31.3 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg Yeager 3.jpg (24.1 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg Yeager.jpg (70.8 KB, 67 views)

Last edited by Scott Garner; 12-08-2020 at 01:10 PM.
Old 12-08-2020, 11:09 AM
Mikeknapp

Thanks for sharing. Chuck Yeager embodied what John Wayne pretended to be. We need more men like him. That autobiography is one of my favorites. His was a life lived to the hilt at Mach 1.

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)
Old 12-08-2020, 11:26 AM

RIP Chuck Yeager.

Steve Earle recently wrote and recorded a song about Yeager:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEfo7TbrS1A
Old 12-08-2020, 12:14 PM

Default General Yeager

Wonderful sentiment, Rest in Peace General- Trent King
Old 12-08-2020, 01:06 PM
Rocky Rockwell

Default Wow

The guy passed on his Superman quality to the book which fought off the fire! DONT GET RID OF THAT BOOK!!!!