NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-19-2004, 09:45 AM
Administrator

Default whats up with this real nice OJ on Ebay

Posted By: ockday

Is this one of those "hijacked" accounts

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=86843&item=5132260102&rd=1

Alan

Old 10-19-2004, 09:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: ramram

Old 10-19-2004, 10:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Let me see if I remember how this works.

1) Seller establishes account by purchasing 12 items (or steals acct).
2) Seller offers high priced n172, 28 & 29 or other cards to those who qualify as pre-approved bidders.
3) No-one qualifies in time to bid.
4) Everyone qualifies once the eBay auction is over.
5) Everyone then gets a chance to make an offer on the cards.
6) All offers are accepted.
7) No cards are sent.

Old 10-19-2004, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred

Here again, we'll preach to the choir -

Why does ebay allow this to happen? This practice is a known scam tactic. Lets give it a few days and see if ebay pulls the items. I just hope that someday ebay is made more responsible for the actions of the people that use it's portal. If they are made to be more responsible in policing their own business then they will probably take the appropriate actions when necessary. They need to loosen the purse strings and use some of their earnings to perform this function. Even if it costs them another $20,000,000 a year you would think that it would be worth it to them to show that they are attempting to offer a safer place for people to operate and conduct business.

I wouldn't mind having that OJ for $2K. I guess I'll be offered the opportunity to buy it later - this has got Toni's Cards written all over it.

Old 10-19-2004, 10:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Forrest

each time this scam re-surfaces, I email the seller requesting to be added to his list. The result is always an email from Toni

Old 10-19-2004, 10:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Gary B.

Not only are they all 1-day auctions from people with low feedback for expensive high-grade items that are all for pre-approved buyers only, BUT:

After the first of these 4 listings was put up, the 2nd was put up 23 minutes later, the 3rd put up 28 minutes after that and the 4th put up 16 minutes after that.

Astounding coincidence? I don't think so. I've written all four of them to get onto the pre-approved bidders list. Let's see if I get responses, and if so, if there are any similarities between e-mail addresses, writing style, content, etc.

Old 10-19-2004, 01:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Howie

The first step to clean up the newspaper cutter uppers would be to inundate Ebay with 1000's of complaints from legitimate buyers and sellers of real items that have undergone real grading and authentication. The crooks hang around respectable categories peddling their crap and prey on novice collectors. The categories are designed to help the users who use and helped create the different categories exactly what they're looking for. The legitimate users of each Ebay category far outnumber the crooks who abuse the system by listing their junk there.

The second step requires help from the hobby's leading publication, whose voice reflects the opinions and the best interest of the hobby at large, to flex a little muscle by exposing the nonsense with a number of in depth articles. It will then become an offical scam and Ebay will finally take notice and do what WE THE MAINSTREAM HOBBY wants them to do. The ultimate goal would be to completely ban the listing of any item holdered by certain companies. This is not far fetched because it's already done with Autograph COA's. Ebay's prohibited authenticator's list --- http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/autographs.html
If Ebay must allow the crap then put it far away from the real sportscards and memorabilia listings. Once Ebay understands and clearly defines what is not allowed they are very quick to remove the items or user.

Old 10-19-2004, 03:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5131509424 and asked why he listed his paper cutouts under PSA GRADED CARDS as you can imagine he has yet to respond--i told him that there is a section for paper cutouts in sports mem.is this roy(liberty for all) or a disciple?

Old 10-19-2004, 03:25 PM
Administrator

Did you notice how the bidder's identities are hidden in this auction?

Roy's even got a website for his AAA grading (www.aaagrading.com) to try and make his own homemade grading company seem authentic, and they're grading actual cards now in addition to their paper cutout crap. Is it just me, or do these holders look like plastic screw down holders with AAA stickers? There's some security for ya - no one would dare unscrew one of these and replace an item with one of lesser quality.

Some lovely gems from his site:

"See why these Original Vintage Collectables are increasing in popularity, and gaining recognition in the vintage card world."

Increasing in popularity only because he's relentless in peddling his worthless crap all over ebay. He's right about the gaining recognition in the vintage card world part though. He's gained a lot of recognition as a fraud who sells worthless nothings at ridiculous prices and as a jerk who clogs up ebay for those who actually are serious collectors.

"Usually separated from original vintage publications from (1900-1950s), these items are usually on "Paper Stock" meaning they are thinner than traditional cards and printed on an original paper-thickness material."

Notice the clever wording of "thinner than traditional cards?" The implication of course being that these are non-traditional cards, but still cards when obviously they are nothing of the sort. "Printed on original paper-thickness material" - right magazines and newspapers are made of paper-thickness material alright.

How does this guy sleep at night? Has he actually deluded himself into thinking he's providing a service to people just because he's been so effective at ripping people off for so long? No doubt that the stuff is likely all authentic and vintage, but so is 20 year old snot stuck to the bottom of a piece of furniture. Hmmmm, I'm thinking a website is in the works here - oldsnot.com - I'll make millions...

Old 10-19-2004, 03:31 PM
Administrator

is if you read the feedback.these poor suckers think these are cards and love them.(till someone clues them in). some buy 5 or 6 at a time.i think some of these just gotta be shills???these crooks sleep well with $$$ in the bank.

Old 10-19-2004, 08:01 PM
Administrator

Getting back to the original thread. I need some help on how to proceed with this one - this one is truly amazing!

Ok, so there were 4 links to 4 different auctions from 4 different accounts in all different parts of the country. All 4 were 1 day only with pre-approved buyers only. I wrote to each one asking to become a pre-approved buyer.

The SAME person using the SAME e-mail responded to ALL FOUR of them:

SportsCards.com <sales@ww-sportscards.com>

I'm very sorry for delay .If you are still interested about my items please email me asap.

I was have for sale the following items:

(see below)

Kindest regards!

Fabio Carbone

On each one, not only did he list the card that never sold, but on each one he listed 2 or 3 very high dollar items as well that are now at a set sale price:

2 @ $1,000
5 @ $2,000
1 @ $2,500
1 @ $3,000
4 @ $3,500

For those playing at home, that's a grand total of $31,500.

What's my next step? How do I report this kind of thing to ebay.

Finally, I must say, WHAT KIND OF STUPID F*CKING IDIOT DOESN'T EVEN USE DIFFERENT E-MAIL ADDRESSES AND DIFFERENT NAMES FROM 4 DIFFERENT ACCOUNTS WHEN WRITING TO THE SAME PERSON? A scammer yes, but NOT TOO BRIGHT.

Check out his website (www.ww-sportscards.com) - this looks very familiar - store in France, address in London - saw this same guy with a different site recently. Anyone remember more details?

Unbelievable.

Old 10-19-2004, 08:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

Don't remember his name.

Old 10-20-2004, 04:35 AM
Administrator

http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=153652&messageid=1089332523

Old 10-20-2004, 09:25 AM
Administrator

So the question becomes, how do I expose him to ebay and get him kicked off now that I have such supreme evidence?

Old 10-20-2004, 10:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

I've got him on the e-mail hook too. Let me know if backup is wanted.

Old 10-20-2004, 12:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: J Levine

Have not tried it yet but this is the contact #044-20-7681-1134 for Fabio of ww-sportscards.com

Old 10-20-2004, 01:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Forrest

I asked him why he changed his name from Toni Toscani and his reply was:

" who is Toni Toscani? " - yes, he actually typed a smiley in his reply.

Old 10-21-2004, 09:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: pete

wowzers! He's got like 10 of every good card in mint condition. He must be rich or something!