NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 09-15-2010, 03:10 PM
Banned

Default Tough Indians pennant, then and now

I always get a kick out of finding a vintage photo that includes souvenir items from the era. I have a few such photos that include Cleveland Indians pennants from the 1950s, but usually those pennants are the very common variety, i.e. Chief Wahoo's head on the left of the pennant and "Cleveland Indians" printed or in script on the right.

Today I received in the mail a book, Akron-Canton Baseball Heritage, and included in it are mentions and photos of the Indians. Much to my surprise I came across the photo below (sorry for the poor quality). The style of Indians pennant pictured in that group is a tough, tough example. I picked up the one in my collection (second photo below) just within the past five years. When the previous owner described it to me over the phone and was saying it had "wavy letters," I had no idea what he was talking about, because I'd never even seen this pennant before. I thought he was describing some kind of damage to the letters on the pennant. Needless to say when I saw it in person I was both thrilled and surprised.

To find an image of this pennant being sold back in the day, I think, is pretty cool.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg penpic.jpg (72.2 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpg tough.jpg (32.5 KB, 193 views)

Last edited by Rob D.; 09-15-2010 at 03:20 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:44 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Great post! These images always fascinate me as well.

I got my version of this pennant 3 years ago, and have not seen another one since. I bet they had a very limited production and were sold for only a short time. This picture had to be taken during that brief window... I wonder how many of the bunch pictured have actually survived?
Old 09-15-2010, 03:52 PM
Clint

Very nice Rob. That's one of the cooler pennants from that era I've seen.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:10 PM
Michael S

Awesome, really nice pennant. That team foiled the great Boston subway series. My Dad still talks about how that is one of his most painful sports memory. He was 12 at the time.

Last edited by sox1903wschamp; 09-15-2010 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 09-15-2010, 04:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sox1903wschamp View Post
Awesome, really nice pennant. That team foiled the great Boston subway series. My Dad still talks about how that is one of his most painful sports memory. He was 12 at the time.
One of my "holy grail" items is a ticket stub from that one-game playoff in Boston.

At the risk of derailing my own thread (although given how many others I've derailed, I suppose it's only fitting), the following photo is one of my all-time favorites, mainly because I'm a dog lover. It pictures rookie Gene Bearden, winning pitcher for the Indians in the playoff after Lou Boudreau named him the surprise starter, getting ready to leave Cleveland for Boston the night before the playoff game. In addition to the dog, I also just love the fact that not only is Bearden smoking a cigar, so is the "security" guard. And if you didn't know that Bearden was a lefty (and a knuckleballer to boot), I'd say his style of dress pretty much gives it away.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg b1.jpg (68.0 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg b2.jpg (58.6 KB, 169 views)
Old 09-15-2010, 05:37 PM
Johnny S

Awesome pennant and picture, very cool. Probably the last time Cleveland had anything to celebrate, other than the Rock n Roll hall of fame.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:03 PM
FredYoung

GREAT photo and gorgeous pennant you have Rob!

I'm sure a couple-3 of those pennants have survived, but I'm wondering about those balloons?
Old 09-15-2010, 06:39 PM
Mike

Awesome pennant Rob
Old 09-15-2010, 08:11 PM
Michael S

Rob,

Also love that photo and the dog (C-Spaniel). Gene Bearden to the Indians is the antithesis to Denny Galehouse of the Red Sox regarding that playoff game.

Sorry to derail this thread a little further