NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 04-18-2020, 08:38 AM
Alan Strout

Default 1971 Dallas-Ft Worth Spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by roarfrom34 View Post

Here is their Team Photo with notable inclusions Mike Reinbach, Don Hood, Jesse Jefferson, Dyar Miller, Doug DeCinces, Enos Cabell, Wayne Garland, Tom Walker, Cal Ripken Sr. (MGR) & Junior Kennedy.

Bill,

Great stuff. Here's a team issued photo of Mike Reinbach. He died tragically at only 39 in an automobile accident.

Reinbach, Mike 1.jpg

Mel Bailey postcards of Mike Reinbach (pre mid 70's hair style) and two others from the team, Junior Kennedy (upper right) and Mike Herson (lower left)

SCAN8230.JPG
Old 04-18-2020, 08:43 AM
Alan Strout

Default 1971 Rochester Red Wings

Quote:
Staying in 1971, here is a Rochester Red Wings program/roster insert from the first season that Joe Altobelli managed there...While Cal Sr. wasn't the manager I remember picking this program up because he is pictured on the cover from the season prior:

[img]
Bill,

You might be interested to know that the 1971 program also comes with a much tougher to find B&W photo on the front.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1971 Rochester Red Wings #2.jpg (58.6 KB, 117 views)
Old 04-18-2020, 10:17 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltOrioles View Post
Bill,

You might be interested to know that the 1971 program also comes with a much tougher to find B&W photo on the front.
Thanks Alan....Something for the want list! Do you think they used a color photo since it was the AAA World Series?

For a long time I thought I had heard that Reinbach's death was a suicide (or perhaps it was originally reported as such). In looking on-line recently, it now appears as if it was just an unfortunate accident..Either way, he died too soon.

Here is a Mike Reinbach game used bat and an autograph that he graciously returned to me back on New Years Eve 1982...Somewhere I have an Orioles hat of his as well (which I'll post when I find it).

Last edited by roarfrom34; 04-18-2020 at 10:27 AM.
Old 04-18-2020, 11:27 AM
Alan Strout

Quote:
Thanks Alan....Something for the want list! Do you think they used a color photo since it was the AAA World Series?
Bill,

My best guess is either the B&W program was a preseason sample or a late season extra printing when the team ran low on the color programs. The content of both programs is exactly the same, but printed in color in one version and B&W in the other. There's also no lucky number printed in the B&W version. I see the color version listed all the time, but this is the only B&W I've ever seen. The roster insert in the color copy is from Aug 2nd and there wasn't any roster with the B&W program.

SCAN8234.jpg

SCAN8235.jpg
Old 04-19-2020, 06:07 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Mark,

One of my collecting goals is to have a photo of some kind of every player to ever appear for the Orioles, but pictured in their Orioles uniform. John Buzhardt tops the list as the only player to wear an Orioles uniform that I've never seen anything with him pictured as an Oriole. He appeared briefly for the Orioles in 1967. I wish somebody on the site can please prove me wrong.

For the record, here's my top five list.

John Buzhardt 1967
Grady Hatton 1956
Roger Marquis 1955
Buddy Peterson 1957
Sam Jones 1964

Honorable mentions go to Wally Westlake 1955, Babe Birrer 1956 and Shane Turner 1991
Alan,

Such a neat endeavor. You would think it has to be "possible" and "likely" that they had some type of picture taken as an Oriole, but the short timers could definitely be a needle in a hay stack. Of course when you do pick them up you definitely have to post and hopefully someone here can help with your goal.
Old 04-19-2020, 06:10 AM
M@rk Comer

Day 110 (April 19, 2020 – 110)

In 1973 Johnny Pro Enterprises of Baltimore put out a set of 28 Orioles cards that are numbered by the players uniform. These are great looking “punch-out” cards in my opinion and are fairly large; they measure around 4”x6”. Love the green background with the player featured in full color.

1973 Johnny Pro batting

Day 110 a 1973 Johnny Pro Stand up Batting.jpg

1973 Johnny Pro fielding

Day 110 b 1973 Johnny Pro Stand up Fielding.jpg
Old 04-19-2020, 08:08 AM
Bill H@e1ig

The 1972 Asheville Orioles finished the season 81-58 and won their division although they lost in the playoffs.

Notables include Cal Ripken Sr. (MGR), Paul Mitchell, Royle Stillman, Doug DeCinces, Dave Johnson (one of three Orioles to have that name), Mike Reinbach, Jim Fuller & Tim Nordbrook.

Also pictured is Mark Weems (who tragically drowned in Venezuela on New Years Day 1974 while out with Don Hood, Wayne Garland & Bob Bailor) and Don Hickey who has been mentioned by both Cal Jr. & Billy to me as being their favorite player when they were kids.

Their program was not a traditional one in that in was more like a folded scorecard with an insert:

For those who might be interested, here are Cal Jr.'s remembrance of that season in Ashville:

https://www.journalnow.com/sports/na...a4bcf6878.html

Last edited by roarfrom34; 04-19-2020 at 08:51 AM.
Old 04-19-2020, 08:32 AM
Alan Strout

Default Orioles Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
Alan,

Such a neat endeavor. You would think it has to be "possible" and "likely" that they had some type of picture taken as an Oriole, but the short timers could definitely be a needle in a hay stack. Of course when you do pick them up you definitely have to post and hopefully someone here can help with your goal.
Mark,

It's a labor of love for sure. Believe it or not the Orioles themselves don't have photos of some players to appear for them. A few guys were picked up while the Orioles were on the road and released before they got back to Baltimore. As you will notice, I prefer posed or head shots over action shots, where it's difficult to see the player's face

Here are a few more toughies to find pictured as Orioles. A few had great careers after leaving Baltimore or arrived at the end of successful careers.

Lou Pinella

Piniella, Lou 2.jpg

Tim Raines Sr

Raines, Tim Sr 1.JPG

Dean Chance (Never actually pitched for the Orioles, but a pretty good pitcher)

Chance, Dean 1.jpg

Bob Oliver (played for the Orioles briefly in 1974)

Oliver, Bob 1.jpg

Orlando Sanchez (1984)

Sanchez, Orlando 1.jpg

Ron Jackson (1984)

Jackson, Ron 1.jpg

Plus a couple of players that aren't as hard to find, but aren't associated with being Orioles.

Jim Thome

Thome, Jim 1.jpg

Joe Carter

Carter, Joe 1.jpg
Old 04-19-2020, 08:39 AM
Alan Strout

Default 1972 Asheville Orioles

Quote:
For those who might be interested, here are Cal Jr.'s remembrance of that season in Ashville:

https://www.journalnow.com/sports/na...a4bcf6878.html
Bill,

Nice story on Cal's time in Asheville. Too bad he isn't pictured in the team photo as a bat boy.

Do you just collect minor league stuff related to the Ripkens or are you more of a minor league collector than you let on?
Old 04-19-2020, 08:39 AM
Bill H@e1ig

In Post #1253, Mike mentioned his experiences with both Rick Dempsey and Paul Blair at the Orioles Fan Fest in 2003.

My memories of that day include both hearing of the NASA Space Shuttle Columbia accident and meeting Orioles pitcher Steve Bechler who would unfortunately pass away from the misuse of Ephedra only two weeks later:

Old 04-19-2020, 08:55 AM
Alan Strout

Quote:
In Post #1253, Mike mentioned his experiences with both Rick Dempsey and Paul Blair at the Orioles Fan Fest in 2003.

My memories of that day include both hearing of the NASA Space Shuttle Columbia accident and meeting Orioles pitcher Steve Bechler who would unfortunately pass away from the misuse of Ephedra only two weeks later:

Bill,

What a tragic story of Steve Bechler's death. I think the Orioles were very high on his talent.

Do you remember if Tippy Martinez was at that fanfest signing autographs? I'm missing the team issued postcard of him from 2003 that was supposedly given out at the event.
Old 04-19-2020, 09:11 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Quote:
Bill,

Nice story on Cal's time in Asheville. Too bad he isn't pictured in the team photo as a bat boy.

Do you just collect minor league stuff related to the Ripkens or are you more of a minor league collector than you let on?
Alan:

I think it would be great if Cal Jr. had been in that team photo as the bat boy. My suspicion is the team picture might have been taken while the family was still in Aberdeen waiting for school to end.

Regarding Minor League things, I always liked the Rochester Red Wings just due to their rich long term relationship with the Orioles & the # of players who played with both clubs.

When it comes to the Ripken Family, I like to collect things related to any portion of their career (including minor leagues).

As you know the Orioles (Coke & Crown Oil sponsored) in 1991 issued a card set with every Orioles player who ever appeared in a game with them (I believe it was a 502 card set).

Obviously the set included Ron Jackson (whose photo you posted was the first one I've seen with him in an Oriole uniform; thank you).

I had Ron sign his card (with the inscription of "Not Me" lol), but do you have any idea on who is pictured??

Fun Fact: Bob Oliver was the last Oriole to wear #33 prior to Eddie Murray!

Last edited by roarfrom34; 04-19-2020 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-19-2020, 09:50 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Here is the first page of a letter written by Vi Ripken in May of 1963 to a former babysitter's family that she kept in contact with (she comments on just putting the children in bed & that 'Calvin' was away in Winnipeg). Love the stationary!

Last edited by roarfrom34; 04-19-2020 at 11:38 AM.
Old 04-19-2020, 11:17 AM

Default 1971 Red Wings Little World Series

Quote:
Bill,

My best guess is either the B&W program was a preseason sample or a late season extra printing when the team ran low on the color programs. The content of both programs is exactly the same, but printed in color in one version and B&W in the other. There's also no lucky number printed in the B&W version. I see the color version listed all the time, but this is the only B&W I've ever seen. The roster insert in the color copy is from Aug 2nd and there wasn't any roster with the B&W program.

Attachment 395022

Attachment 395023
Your guess is correct! The Denver Bears got kicked out of their stadium by the Broncos so all 7 games were played in Rochester. By game 4 or so they ran out of color programs (the same ones used all year), so a quick trip to the printer brought the B&W versions for remaining games. I was lucky enough to see all the games.

Cool note #1 the Rochester fans gave the Denver Bears big ovations when they were introduced as the "home" team in the series in the even numbered games.
Cool note #2 Bobby Grich who would be named minor league player of the year in 1971 was called up after game 5 (Mark Belanger was injured) and he didn't want to go. Joe Altobelli had to talk him into it. Grich felt the Orioles were way ahead and didn't need him. The Red Wings did. The Wings won in 7 games.
Old 04-19-2020, 12:24 PM
Clint

Thanks for posting all of the first hand knowledge. Being from Kansas I’m pretty much in the dark and I find the stories fascinating.
Old 04-19-2020, 12:29 PM
Alan Strout

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelucille View Post
Your guess is correct! The Denver Bears got kicked out of their stadium by the Broncos so all 7 games were played in Rochester. By game 4 or so they ran out of color programs (the same ones used all year), so a quick trip to the printer brought the B&W versions for remaining games. I was lucky enough to see all the games.
Steve,

Thanks so much for the information. I've never seen another B&W version, so I knew they were scarce. Nice to know it was from the playoffs and the story behind it.
Old 04-19-2020, 12:42 PM
Alan Strout

Quote:
Alan:

When it comes to the Ripken Family, I like to collect things related to any portion of their career (including minor leagues).

As you know the Orioles (Coke & Crown Oil sponsored) in 1991 issued a card set with every Orioles player who ever appeared in a game with them (I believe it was a 502 card set).

Obviously the set included Ron Jackson (whose photo you posted was the first one I've seen with him in an Oriole uniform; thank you).

I had Ron sign his card (with the inscription of "Not Me" lol), but do you have any idea on who is pictured??

Bill,

I love the Vi Ripken letter and stationary. I remember waiting for the 1991 Crown Oil set with excitement and being so disappointed that so many of the cards pictured players in uniforms other than the Orioles. They got the Ron Jackson card half right. It is Ron Jackson. Just the Ron Jackson that played mainly for the White Sox from 1954-1960. Unbelievable...

s-l300.jpg
Old 04-19-2020, 12:47 PM
Bill H@e1ig

Quote:
Bill,

I love the Vi Ripken letter and stationary. I remember waiting for the 1991 Crown Oil set with excitement and being so disappointed that so many of the cards pictured players in uniforms other than the Orioles. They got the Ron Jackson card half right. It is Ron Jackson. Just the Ron Jackson that played mainly for the White Sox from 1954-1960. Unbelievable...
Thanks Alan....I suppose they got the name right lol

BTW do you have any Orioles photos of the recently deceased Ed Farmer or Keith Moreland (I believe that Moreland was photographed in an Orioles uniform on his Crown card)?
Old 04-19-2020, 01:48 PM
Alan Strout

Default Ed Farmer & Keith Moreland

Quote:

BTW do you have any Orioles photos of the recently deceased Ed Farmer or Keith Moreland (I believe that Moreland was photographed in an Orioles uniform on his Crown card)?
I have a team issued 8x10 of Keith Moreland and a postcard of Ed Farmer.
I believe there is a photo of Moreland currently listed on eBay.

Moreland, Keith 1.jpg

SCAN8236-1.JPG
Old 04-19-2020, 05:40 PM
M@rk Comer

Default Dave McNally

Posted for Clint (ksfarmboy)

Pair of Dave McNally 70's Adidas game used cleats.

McNally Cleats.jpg
Old 04-20-2020, 01:18 AM
M@rk Comer

Day 111 (April 20, 2020 – 111)

An organization was developed and formed by a group of volunteers, area businessmen and a few Oriole officials called The Orioles Advocates. I’m sure if you’re an Orioles fan you’ve heard of this group that promotes the interest of baseball to not only adult fans, but also to young people. One of the organizations they formed was the Junior Orioles which today is called the O’s Dugout Club. Today I’m picturing part of a mailing that was sent by the Junior Orioles in 1974.

Day 111 a 1974 Junior Orioles Envelope.jpg
Day 111 b 1974 Junior Oriole inserts 1.jpg
Day 111 c 1974 Junior Oriole inserts.jpg
Day 111 d 1974 Crown Brooks and Blair.jpg
Old 04-20-2020, 06:22 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Coincidentally, just last week a hobby friend of mine sent me a scan of these 1966 Junior Orioles tickets (he also has a strip from 1970) asking me if I had seen them before (which I hadn't) and how collectible they were. Any info I can pass on to him would be appreciated:

Old 04-20-2020, 06:46 AM
Bill H@e1ig

The 1973 Rochester Red Wings went 79-67 which earned them a First Place finish in their division, however they did lose to Charleston in the playoffs.

Notables in this photo include Tom Shopay, Mark Weems, Royle Stillman, Paul Mitchell, Ray Miller, Joe Altobelli, Jim Hutto, Wayne Garland, Dyar Miller, Dave Johnson, Doug DeCinces, Mike Reinbach, Don Hood, Randy Stein, Sergio Robles, Tim Nordbrook & Jim Fuller:

Old 04-20-2020, 07:01 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Coincidentally, just last week a hobby friend of mine sent me a scan of these 1966 Junior Orioles tickets (he also has a strip from 1970) asking me if I had seen them before (which I hadn't) and how collectible they were. Any info I can pass on to him would be appreciated:
Bill,

I know there were the strip of tickets within in the envelope received from the Junior Orioles; I just didn’t scan them.
Old 04-20-2020, 07:58 AM
Alan Strout

Default Junior Orioles Program

Quote:

Bill and Mark,

Thanks for sharing some of your Junior Orioles items. I know just enough about the program to be dangerous. Not growing up in Baltimore, I never got to chance to use the benefits of being a Junior Oriole, but I did join for a few years as a kid. I have some stuff at home, but here's what I could find for scans of items on my computer.

My best guess would be that the program probably started around 1965, but not sure. My reasoning is that I have some Junior Orioles newsletters from 1966 and 1967. They are labeled Volume 2 and 3, which would have made Volume 1 printed in 1965. I remember receiving some stuff like a membership card, schedule, stickers, postcards, etc along with tickets to select Junior Orioles games. I assume your parents could buy tickets to these games at reduced prices. The Orioles still have the program today. The gifts have gotten a little better since those early. For a few years there were lunch boxes. I'll try and post more items when I get home. As far as interest in this kind of stuff, I like them, but a lot of people think I'm a little crazy. I don't think most of the stuff is widely collected.

Newsletters

1966 Junior Orioles Bird Call Newsletter (Vol.2 No.1).jpg 1966 Junior Orioles Bird Call Newsletter (Vol.2 No.3).jpg

1967 Junior Orioles Bird Call Newsletter (Vol.3 No.1).jpg 1969 Junior Orioles Bird Call Newsletter (August).jpg

Flyer from 1986 promoting the program

1986 Junior Orioles Tickets Order Form.jpg

Junior Orioles Dugout Club Kits from the early to mid 2000's

DSCN1593.jpg DSCN1596.jpg
Old 04-20-2020, 08:29 AM
Alan Strout

Default Orioles Hall of Fame

In addition to the Junior Orioles, the Oriole Advocates have a variety of programs they are involved with including the Orioles Hall of Fame. The first inductees to the Orioles HOF were Brooks and Frank Robinson in 1977. Beginning in 1984, a luncheon has been held each year to recognize the newest members. I love collecting the programs from the event and have 20 so far.

Here a little description of what the Advocates are all about, the HOF and a few programs from the luncheons.

SCAN8238.jpg SCAN8237.JPG

1984 Oriole Advocates Hall of Fame.jpg 2003 Oriole Advocates Hall of Fame.jpg
2012 Oriole Advocates Hall of Fame.jpg
Old 04-20-2020, 09:06 AM
Bill H@e1ig

I heard the news this AM that Dick Hyde (who pitched in a handful of games for the Orioles in 1961) had passed away last week at the age of 91.

I was wondering if Alan could honor him by posting his picture?

RIP Dick
Old 04-20-2020, 11:44 AM
Alan Strout

Default Dick Hyde

Quote:
I heard the news this AM that Dick Hyde (who pitched in a handful of games for the Orioles in 1961) had passed away last week at the age of 91.

I was wondering if Alan could honor him by posting his picture?

RIP Dick
Bill,

My pleasure. Thanks for passing the information on to us.

I don't have much, but here are a couple postcards and his newspaper scrapbook card.

SCAN8243.jpg

1961 Baltimore News-Post Scrapbook (Hyde, Dick).jpg
Old 04-20-2020, 02:25 PM
Bill H@e1ig

Quote:
Bill,

My pleasure. Thanks for passing the information on to us.

I don't have much, but here are a couple postcards and his newspaper scrapbook card.

Attachment 395495

Attachment 395498
Great stuff as always Alan!

Here is my signed/inscribed Crown card

Bill

Last edited by roarfrom34; 04-20-2020 at 02:33 PM.
Old 04-20-2020, 10:28 PM
Dewey St. Germaine

Thanks to Bill for sharing the 1966 Junior Orioles tickets I recently picked up. Here is a pic of the full 1970 Junior Orioles ticket sheet I also picked up. Some of the games include Brooks Robinson's 200th career HR, Dave McNally's 100th career win, two Jim Palmer shutouts and Palmer winning 20 games for the first time in his career.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-1741.jpg (81.3 KB, 88 views)
Old 04-20-2020, 10:34 PM
Dewey St. Germaine

If anyone is interested, I'm selling the remaining six 1966 Junior Orioles tickets I have for $25 shipped. PM me if you are interested. This is the game info:

4/16 vs Yankees: Elston Howard HR, Brooks Robinson HR, Curt Blefary HR, Paul Blair HR, Dave McNally Win
5/22 vs Tigers: Mickey Lolich Win, Brooks & Frank Robinson Hits
6/5 vs Athletics: Bert Campaneris HR, Jim Dickson Final Career Win, Brooks & Frank Robinson Hits, Aparicio 2 Hits
7/3 vs Twins: Jim Perry Career HR #1, Brooks Robinson HR, Boog Powell HR, Dave McNally Win
7/10 vs Angels: Bobby Knoop 1 Hit/1 RBI, Luis Aparicio Hit
8/28 vs Red Sox: Carl Yastrzemski 1 Hit/1 RBI, Tony Conigliaro 2 Hits
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-1763.jpg (75.7 KB, 109 views)
Old 04-21-2020, 02:19 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey2007 View Post
Thanks to Bill for sharing the 1966 Junior Orioles tickets I recently picked up. Here is a pic of the full 1970 Junior Orioles ticket sheet I also picked up. Some of the games include Brooks Robinson's 200th career HR, Dave McNally's 100th career win, two Jim Palmer shutouts and Palmer winning 20 games for the first time in his career.
Dewey,

That's a nice grouping of '70 Junior Orioles tickets; thanks for sharing the item.
Old 04-21-2020, 02:24 AM
M@rk Comer

Default Bobby Grich

Posted for Clint (ksfarmboy)

Pair of Bobby Grich 70's Adidas game used cleats.

Grich Cleats.jpg

Clint,

Those set of cleats would make a great display piece with added McNally and Grich items. Now lets get that curio and set it up for all to see...

Bobby Grich.jpg
Old 04-21-2020, 02:26 AM
M@rk Comer

Day 112 (April 21, 2020 – 112)

Anyone want to wager a guess in what this somewhat ugly piece is?

Day 112 a 1962 Topps #45 Printing Plate back.jpg
Old 04-21-2020, 06:31 AM
Alan Strout

Default Brooks Robinson

Quote:

Attachment 395609
It looks like some sort of proof from the back of his 1962 Topps card. Cool item.

SCAN8244.JPG
Old 04-21-2020, 06:34 AM

Wow-Good Eye Alan! That's right on !

Last edited by quitcrab; 04-21-2020 at 06:35 AM.
Old 04-21-2020, 07:07 AM
Alan Strout

Default 1970 Orioles Team Issued Postcards

Starting in 1970, the Orioles switched from B&W postcards to color postcards. From 1970-1972, the Orioles used the same photos for most of their postcards. Postcards from 1970 are easy to identify, because the font used for the player's name is much smaller in 1970 than 1971-72. The backs of the postcards are blank. I believe several different printings were done throughout the season, as many of the more popular players have several different cropping or name placement variations. Postcards were also sold as individual postcards or sets through the Orioles.

I have 50 of the 51 known postcards. A few years ago, a new Elrod Hendricks postcard was found. It appeared to have been cut from a sheet. It's the only known copy, so it's unlikely it was ever distributed to fans and probably part of a sample sheet from the printers.

1970 Postcards 01.jpg 1970 Postcards 02.jpg 1970 Postcards 03.jpg 1970 Postcards 04.jpg 1970 Postcards 05.jpg 1970 Postcards 06.JPG 1970 Postcards 07.jpg 1970 Postcards 08.jpg 1970 Postcards 09.jpg 1970 Postcards 10.jpg 1970 Postcards 11.jpg 1970 Postcards 12.jpg 1970 Postcards 13.jpg

The missing Elrod Hendricks postcard

1970.jpg
Old 04-21-2020, 08:26 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Here is a 1971 Rochester Red Wings (AAA Champs) team signed ball

Old 04-21-2020, 08:30 AM
Alan Strout

Quote:
Here is a 1971 Rochester Red Wings (AAA Champs) team signed ball

Bill,

That's amazing... I can actually read the signatures. Nice ball.
Old 04-21-2020, 03:47 PM
M@rk Comer

Day 112 a 1962 Topps #45 Printing Plate back.jpg

Well, I guess Alan is extremely close and I'll give it to him. It's one of the metal printing plates for the back of the 1962 Topps #45 Brooks Robinson card.

Day 112 b 1962 Topps #45 back.jpg
Old 04-21-2020, 03:51 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Starting in 1970, the Orioles switched from B&W postcards to color postcards. From 1970-1972, the Orioles used the same photos for most of their postcards. Postcards from 1970 are easy to identify, because the font used for the player's name is much smaller in 1970 than 1971-72. The backs of the postcards are blank. I believe several different printings were done throughout the season, as many of the more popular players have several different cropping or name placement variations. Postcards were also sold as individual postcards or sets through the Orioles.

I have 50 of the 51 known postcards. A few years ago, a new Elrod Hendricks postcard was found. It appeared to have been cut from a sheet. It's the only known copy, so it's unlikely it was ever distributed to fans and probably part of a sample sheet from the printers.
Hey, 50 out of 51 isn't bad at all... So, someone has that Elrod; do you know who and is it obtainable?!?

So, the next question would be do you like the B&W postcards OR the color postcards better?
Old 04-21-2020, 04:29 PM
Alan Strout

Default 1970 Orioles Team Issued Postcards

Quote:
Hey, 50 out of 51 isn't bad at all... So, someone has that Elrod; do you know who and is it obtainable?!?

So, the next question would be do you like the B&W postcards OR the color postcards better?
Mark,

Yes, I know who has it. Bill will know him, Wayne Johnson. And no chance of getting it from him..

I'm a B&W postcard guy all the way. I also didn't like it when the Orioles when from portraits to action shots for the postcards in 1992.
Old 04-21-2020, 04:33 PM
Alan Strout

Quote:

Well, I guess Alan is extremely close and I'll give it to him. It's one of the metal printing plates for the back of the 1962 Topps #45 Brooks Robinson card.

Mark,

I should have recognized that they were the metal plates. I have two myself.

Dick Hall and Billy Hitchcock

1962 Topps Aluminum Printers Proofs.jpg
Old 04-21-2020, 09:26 PM
Clint

Mark unfortunately I don’t own any other Grich or McNally items other than the cards and such.
Old 04-22-2020, 02:06 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Mark,

I should have recognized that they were the metal plates. I have two myself.

Dick Hall and Billy Hitchcock

Attachment 395705
The only printing plates I've ever seen for the vintage cards are from 1962. The others from the different years must have been destroyed after production or reused for different jobs.
Old 04-22-2020, 02:07 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfarmboy View Post
Mark unfortunately I don’t own any other Grich or McNally items other than the cards and such.
Hey, they'd look great displayed by themselves as well...
Old 04-22-2020, 02:10 AM
M@rk Comer

Day 113 (April 22, 2020 – 113)

This is a Crown gas pump display advertising the Special Edition Orioles Baseball Cards with Brooks card shown. States that “Set #1 is here now!” and it’s “featuring every Orioles player in the team’s modern history.” Sounds like a lot of cards but would be a fun set to collect.

Day 113 a Baseball pump display.jpg

Here’s a sheet of 1991 Crown/Coca Cola cards with Brooks included.

Day 113 b 1991 Crown Gas.jpg
Old 04-22-2020, 06:35 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Mark:

I have to admit that I've never seen that Brooks Crown card set ad sign previously (looks like they would have been placed above the pumps)..Very nice..

When that set came out in 1991, there were 502 cards in the set and by my count at the time, 450 of the players were still living.

Being an Orioles autograph guy, I decided to get them signed with my "goal" at the time to get at least 400 of them auto'd (I pretty much started my project as the cards were released).

Well here I sit today with 445 of the cards signed:

Last edited by roarfrom34; 04-22-2020 at 07:08 AM.
Old 04-22-2020, 06:47 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Sad to report that I learned this morning that Bob Oliver passed away on the 19th at the age of 77..

I mentioned in an earlier post that Bob had the distinction of being the last Oriole to wear #33 prior to Eddie (you can probably win a beer or two with that trivia question)

Last edited by roarfrom34; 04-22-2020 at 07:15 AM.
Old 04-22-2020, 07:16 AM
Alan Strout

Default Bob Oliver

Quote:
Sad to report that I learned this morning that Bob Oliver passed away on the 19th at the age of 77..

Bill,

Sad to hear that. Oddly enough, in post #1258 on the 19th, I shared a photo of Bob Oliver. I was never 100% sure the photo used by Crown was actually Bob Oliver, but it looks like he signed it for you without the "Not me" quotation.

Quite an accomplishment to get that many Crown cards signed. I wish all the cards used photos of players in Orioles uniforms.

Here's the Bob Oliver photo again

Oliver, Bob 1.jpg