NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-19-2006, 03:38 PM
Administrator

Default Is anyone else having problems w/breakage in shipping on SGC holders

Posted By: warshawlaw

I've had two orders in a row now come in with holders broken during the packing process (the boxes were fine and well padded). SGC's been fixing them but it is really inconvenient. Anyone else having this experience or am I just "lucky"?

Old 07-19-2006, 03:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John S

I just purchased a SGC graded card on ebay with a crack across the id tag. My last shipment came back without any problems.

Old 07-19-2006, 05:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

In last 5 orders of about 10-15 cards each order. I had one shipment when I opend it, took off the bubble wrap and a few small pieces of plastic fell on ground. The slab on the end was smashed in the corner, looked like the group (after bubble wrapped) was dropped right on corner. No damage to box that I could see. They fixed it with next order.

Old 07-19-2006, 05:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Pete Z.

Twice on the same card. First it was shattered along the top edge of the holder. The second time I submitted it came back shattered along the bottom edge. I'm keeping the card for now since it isn't visible when you look at the card head on, but my fear is it's something that may come back to haunt me down the road. I assume it's an artifact of the sealing process.

Edited to add the following:

The first time it came back shattered I submitted it to them on site at Ft. Washington. I didn't realize it until I got home. Not a shipment problem. I think it occurred when they tried to orient the card in the holder properly by banging it on a flat surface (I heard them do it at Ft. Wash).

Old 07-19-2006, 05:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John J. Grillo

I rec'd two orders in the last month and a half or so without any problems. Is it a FedEx vs USPS thing? Both mine came back via FedEx. Just a guess.

Old 07-19-2006, 07:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay

Adam--I've been meaning to ask you and this post reminded me. The 1893 Red Cross boxer I got from you came in an SGC holder with several cracks. Was this the way you sent it or did it crack in transit? I will get it reholdered so it's no big deal but I was just wondering.

Old 07-19-2006, 08:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

Ive had nearly all my cards graded by sgc - I have never had a problem.

The only card graded by sgc that Ive ever had in a cracked slab was a card I purchased off an ebay seller. The card was fine in the scan but arrived with a crack on the front of the slab. No damage to the card.

Old 07-19-2006, 09:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: James Gallo

I get all my cards back through my FedEx account and have never had a problem.

James Gallo

Looking for 1915 Cracker Jacks and 1909-11 American Caramel E90-1.

Old 07-19-2006, 11:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

Fed Ex here with no problems.

Lee

Old 07-20-2006, 12:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ricky Y

I've had a corner chipping problem also. The package was also well wrapped with bubble wrap. Hmmm..sorry to see that it's happened to quite a few people appearently...

Old 07-20-2006, 12:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Wesley

I have received several SGC cards with cracks in the holders. These were delivered in bubble envelopes.

From now on, I will be asking sellers to deliver SGC holders in boxes rather than envelopes.

Old 07-20-2006, 06:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Kyle

You don't need them to send the cards in boxes. All of my graded sales are sent with two pieces of sturdy cardboard tightly rubberbanded around the graded card. The cardboard is generally from other PSA boxes, USPS boxes or any other shipping box. I've had no issues with it either.

-Kyle-

Old 07-20-2006, 06:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

it's probably going FedEx anyway.....they have the account and carry the vast majority of Priority and Express mail on behalf of the post office and much of the first class. Look for that to change in 2007.......

Likely a problem at SGC if the box is okay........

Old 07-20-2006, 10:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

Well it's not just me. I had the same corner chipping/cracking others are complaining of. Looks to me like they banged the card after sealing into the bubble wrap and chipped it. Both times. SGC is having either (1) a QC problem with their materials or (2) a bad problem in the shipping department. I've dropped SGC holders on hardwood floors w/o incident, so my guess is that their shipping department must be banging the hell out of the cards once they are wrapped.

Jay: must've cracked in the mail. If they are cracked on receipt I always have SGC reholder them.

Old 07-20-2006, 11:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Pete Z.

I've experienced it first hand when I had a card graded on sight. When a card is askew in the holder, they rap the side of the holder against a flat surface to dislodge it and set it right. When I heard them doing it I was thinking I hope they don't break the card (it was a brittle OJ).

Old 07-20-2006, 11:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: rob

I have received SGC graded cards cracked going through the mail and had one cracked sending it through the mail, which was shipped with cardboard taped over front and back and sent in bubble wrap.. Boxing a SGC card may be a solution, best solution is for SGC to use a polymer which isn't so brittle.