NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-24-2009, 08:04 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Ryan Stout- BSTNGUY5

I am leaving the entire message here so folks can see what happened but it was a severe miscommunication and Ryan has done nothing at all wrong..There were several small things that looked poorly but they were all explained and Ryan had nothing to do with them........thanks

It has come to my attention that there is a known scammer on our board (well he was until just now). Ryan Stout, aka BSTNGUY5, is a known scammer and has been banned from our board. I have received 2 private emails in the past 12 hours about him and want to thank those 2 individuals for letting me know. Right now he is/was trying to sell some very high end Old Judges on our BST page. I think his MO is that he steals scans and then gets people to send money...and then sends nothing in return. I alerted Joe G last night, as I saw a post he made, and when I collected more evidence this morning I banned Mr.Stout permanently. We don't allow links to other boards too often but in this case here is the info I used to make my decision. Darn scammers.....why can't they just get a job like the rest of us? I also left a phone message for Mr.Stout so if he would like to discuss this he can call me. best regards

http://forums.collectors.com/message...hreadid=727021

ps...I added a question mark until we get this unraveled...and amended the title with new information received....see below posts

Last edited by Leon; 06-24-2009 at 01:39 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 06-24-2009, 08:16 AM
qualitycards

Leon - as of now his thread is still on the B/S/T section

Last edited by Jay Wolt; 06-24-2009 at 08:18 AM.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:20 AM
Fr@nk Jenn!ngs

Default Way to go Leon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Darn scammers.....why can't they just get a job like the rest of us?

http://forums.collectors.com/message...hreadid=727021
Don't you know, that is the american way now. Take from those that work and give to those who don't

Great job keeping those low lifes off the board.

r/
Frank
Old 06-24-2009, 08:22 AM
Barry Sloate

His thread is still up but it reads "Banned" under his name.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:27 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Barry

That thread has been locked by another moderator and a warning in the thread was also given. If anyone contacts this guy from our board they need to contact me next for some oceanfront property in Oklahoma.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:37 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default darn the luck....just received this email

"Leon,
I tried to get into net54 this morning and I can't get in for some reason. Now it says I had a private message and when I clicked on it it said I was banned. I know there is no reason for this as I am fairly new and have only conducted a few transactions and posted a few things for sale. This was a problem before when I first signed up and you were able to fix it. Can you please let me know what is going on? My id on there is bstnguy5."

and I sent him a link to the CU thread to explain...
Old 06-24-2009, 08:39 AM
Barry Sloate

Leon- that's a strange email he sent you, under the circumstances.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:42 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Barry

My guess is that about now he is pooping his pants, understanding the jig is up. Now, if this is somehow all a mistake I will be the first one to come and apologize and say so....But with the work of the other folks I have read I don't think there is any mistake here.....
Old 06-24-2009, 08:42 AM
Joe P.

Quote:
"Leon,
I tried to get into net54 this morning and I can't get in for some reason. Now it says I had a private message and when I clicked on it it said I was banned. I know there is no reason for this as I am fairly new and have only conducted a few transactions and posted a few things for sale. This was a problem before when I first signed up and you were able to fix it. Can you please let me know what is going on? My id on there is bstnguy5."

and I sent him a link to the CU thread to explain...

Atta boy Lasso!

Now, if we could only find a way to help out Bubba?
Bubba is sitting in a cell waiting for a friendly cell mate.

Last edited by Potomac Yank; 06-24-2009 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Bubba wants this guy!
Old 06-24-2009, 08:54 AM
Dan Bretta

edited out comment in fairness to Ryan

Last edited by slidekellyslide; 06-24-2009 at 02:18 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:24 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default The plot thickens

I just received an email (below) from Ryan and I always want to be as fair as possible, and if I make a mistake, I will be the first one to admit it and apologize. I just left a message for the person at Memory Lane who Ryan says he has been in touch with. I will update this thread with information as I receive it. Why does it always seem there is some long twisted explanation for these things? He did include an ebay winning email along with the explanation so we shall see.....

"
Leon, thanks for getting back to me and thanks for sending me that link on the CU. I hadn't even checked there today or saw that. That is really to bad if all that info is really posted because all that is a bunch of BS. I purchased that card from memory lane myself the other day. I have the emails that I was sent from memory lane and ebay sying that I won the auction. They actually negotiated back and forth and I accepted there counter proposal. After this was completed I received an email from Brad at memory lane saying he had made a mistake. he claims his director sold the card 2 weeks pevious and he forgot to take it off the site. i was dealing with brad all day yesterday for them to try and fix the situation and find me another card or sell me the other one they have, but is much more. So there was nothing illegal going on. I bought the card and I was selling it to Felicia who wanted to buy it. I don't know how she could have bought it if I did(they sent me the counter offer) and they also say they sold it two weeks ago. That doesn't make any sense. I can't believe that all my stuff was posted like that.

Not that I should have to, but I can forward my winning emails from ebay or whatever else I need to. Here is the winning invoice that I was sent from them. Nevermind that I have an email from ebay saying I won the auction as well as the recrords of offers and counteroffers and the emails from Brad at memry lane."
Old 06-24-2009, 09:28 AM
Matt Wieder

Interesting. I once had an experience with Memory Lane over eBay where I bought a card from them (via BIN) only to have them tell me later that they couldn't sell it to me at that price and it was a mistake.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:48 AM
Joe P.

Will some one please clear this up pronto!

Bubba is desperate for company.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:56 AM
Fr@nk Jenn!ngs

This doesn't sound like a little mistake. It appears that this guy is trying to sell items that he does not have in his possession. It sounds like he gets in contact with people to find out their wants/needs and price, then contacts the original owner and negotiates a price so that the middle guys makes a buck.

I have no problem buying an item, then once you get it, you can do what you please. But you can not negotiate a price to a buyer if you do not have the item in hand.

I wonder what the timeline is between him agreeing to sell the card to Felicia and him winning the auction from Ebay?

r/
Frank
Old 06-24-2009, 09:59 AM
Ke.n K0hen

Default Nice Catch Leon

That's two (that I know of) in a fairly short time. Guys like that are to NET54 what computer worms and viruses are to the internet at-large. Well done!

Now, about that Oklahoma oceanfront property....I'll take it if still available.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:13 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default the plot thickens and thickens

I just got another, very detailed email, stating that Ryan is in fact in the wrong here. We will get to the bottom of this very soon.....I have some real work I actually have to do but will update this later....regards
Old 06-24-2009, 10:27 AM
Joe P.

Quote:
I just got another, very detailed email, stating that Ryan is in fact in the wrong here. We will get to the bottom of this very soon.....I have some real work I actually have to do but will update this later....regards

Real work?
What kind of talk is this?

Here we have Bubba, calling me from his cell, using his cell ... telling me he wants this guy ... and you're talking about Real Work???

What's more important ... your stinkin job, or Bubba findin a new friend?
Old 06-24-2009, 10:32 AM
Banned

In the meantime, keep the Bubba references coming. Please.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:05 AM
Joe P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
In the meantime, keep the Bubba references coming. Please.

Bubba, is that you?
Old 06-24-2009, 11:09 AM

Rumor has it that Bubba and Dr. Koos are the same person. It's crazy.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:39 AM
Brian T.

I hear that Bubba was quite the shrimp cook in his day.

“Shrimp is the fruit of the sea.
You can
barbecue it,
boil it,
broil it,
bake it,
sautee it.

There's, um, shrimp kebabs,
shrimp creole,
shrimp gumbo,
pan fried,
deep fried,
stir fried.

There's pineapple shrimp and
lemon shrimp,
coconut shrimp,
pepper shrimp,
shrimp soup,
shrimp stew,
shrimp salad,
shrimp and potatoes,
shrimp burger,
shrimp sandwich...

That's, that's about it.”
Old 06-24-2009, 11:42 AM

Wasn't there also shrimp kebabs?

"No, sir, we are not relations."
Old 06-24-2009, 12:20 PM
Joe P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBirkholm View Post
Rumor has it that Bubba and Dr. Koos are the same person. It's crazy.

Funny thing is, Dr Koos did get to spend a little time with Bubba.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:24 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Default I had a successful transaction with Ryan

Don't know about the rest of the stuff here but our deal was fine. He purchased a 1971 Topps Norm Cash PSA 9 from me*. Perhaps what we are dealing with here is an aggressive flipper who got carried away and started making deals before he got the items secured?

* I don't really care if it is flipped or not, so no issue there for me. I replaced it with a 7 that looks almost the same to my uncaring eye and pocketed the other 95% of the sale price.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 06-24-2009 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:52 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Once upon a time

As I said somewhere if I am wrong I will be the first to admit it. I just got off of the phone with MemoryLane. After sorting through the details it looks like I was wrong in assuming Ryan is a scammer. I based my reasoning on emails I received and reading the thread on CU. With what I now know it does NOT LOOK LIKE ANY FRAUD was committed or was even tried to be committed. I apologize for the issue I have caused Ryan.

That being out of the way it looks like what really did happen is sort of as Adam W said. Someone was selling something before they had it AND they (Ryan) was told misinformation in the process. Neither MemoryLane nor I think Ryan is out to fraud anyone on this subject. Ryan is being reinstated on the board and again I apologize for posting on the board without doing my own investigation.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:55 PM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

Leon (and Ryan),

Better safe than sorry!

Joshua

Last edited by Wite3; 06-24-2009 at 12:58 PM. Reason: spelling....8 words and I still misspelled something!
Old 06-24-2009, 01:12 PM
David

Default Not cool

Seems like this poor guys reputation will now be ruined long term no matter how much of a clarification is made. This thread should be deleted altogether. In fact, if I were the author of this thread I'm sure I'd have been chastised for it and told to keep my weapon in my pants and find facts before firing it like that, question mark in the title or not.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:29 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddbreadman View Post
Seems like this poor guys reputation will now be ruined long term no matter how much of a clarification is made
Nah, no biggie... Ryan can buy from me anytime.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:40 PM
Barry Sloate

In fairness to Leon, we've had several threads about people selling cards that they don't actually have in their possession. While it isn't fraud, it is certainly frowned upon on this board. It can only lead to trouble.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
In fairness to Leon, we've had several threads about people selling cards that they don't actually have in their possession. While it isn't fraud, it is certainly frowned upon on this board. It can only lead to trouble.

In this case, it looks like Ryan paid for the items and the cards were en route.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:46 PM
Barry Sloate

Before you sell anything you should have the merchandise in hand. What if the cards got lost en route? Like I said, you are only asking for trouble.

How many times have we seen a card that sold in a major auction in the wee hours of Sunday morning listed on ebay that Sunday night? Why not wait until you get them, then you can sell them five minutes later if you choose.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:50 PM

Barry, I didn't know this was frounded upon. I am not in the card business like you are, so I will take your word. Wes
Old 06-24-2009, 01:54 PM
Barry Sloate

Wes- you pay for an item using paypal so that you can receive it in a timely manner. The seller thinks the lot he won from the auction house is on its way, but they are running at least a couple of weeks behind. The seller has your money but not a clue when he will get your cards. Couldn't think of a better way for buyer and seller to end up in an argument.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:56 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default folks

I just had a long talk with Ryan. I feel horrible about this but we both feel that, with the CU thread not being updated, this one should stay. I told him I have a personal policy about NOT deleting threads UNLESS there is an extraordinary situation. I consider this one of those......but we both agree that at this point this thread can do more good than bad......I am in contact with Felicia through emails and am trying to explain it to her too....Mistakes will happen and this was one...but it was also rectified as quick as humanly possible..I guess this is what happens when there is so much fraud that goes on....I was trying to protect our board. For someone to say that this will have a long term bad effect on Ryan's reputation is a gross misstatement imo.......regards
Old 06-24-2009, 01:59 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
In this case, it looks like Ryan paid for the items and the cards were en route.

Actually Ryan paid for the card but it was enroute to someone else, from the person he bought it from. This was NOT Ryan's error.....The card had been sold already AFTER he bought and paid for it..... (at least I am pretty sure that is what happened, from what I now know)
Old 06-24-2009, 02:04 PM
Fr@nk Jenn!ngs

Leon,

Did he win/pay for the item before he made the agreement with Felicia or was the agreement made beforehand?

It really doesn't matter I guess, but the bottom line is he didn't have the card when he made the agreement with Felicia.

r/
Frank
Old 06-24-2009, 02:04 PM
David

Glad the title of the opening message has been fixed. That is where I felt bad for this guy.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:17 PM
Matt Wieder

Leon - thanks for taking the time to get to the bottom of this. In this hobby, always good to err on the side of safety.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:18 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default T's Please

I do think he made a minor mistake on selling the card before he had it in hand BUT he had been told it was his.....so yes, that was a minor mistake.....but the person that sold it out from under him made the bigger mistake, so it seems....
Old 06-24-2009, 02:37 PM
Fr@nk Jenn!ngs

Quote:
I do think he made a minor mistake on selling the card before he had it in hand BUT he had been told it was his.....so yes, that was a minor mistake.....but the person that sold it out from under him made the bigger mistake, so it seems....
Well then he has some responsibility for this. If he had waited to get the card beforehand, we wouldn't be discussing this at all.

Fortunately I have had flawless transactions with folks from this board, this should be a lesson to those that flip without having it in hand.

r
Frank
Old 06-24-2009, 03:45 PM

Confucius said : A man who has committed a mistake and doesn't correct it is committing another mistake. Leon you have handled this situation perfectly.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:54 PM
Al

Default Ryan Stout

I think we should give Ryan one of the Banner Ads for a month Just a thought
Old 06-24-2009, 03:58 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default also

The CU thread was taken down after an email exchange I had with Felicia. She asked for it to be done.....So I think we might have helped with that too......back to collecting.....sorry for the interruptions....
Old 06-24-2009, 04:04 PM
David Ros.enberg

Last edited by DJR; 07-31-2016 at 08:58 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:03 PM
Eric Bea.chley

I'm reminded of the Radio Commercial for Internet Speedway about selling on Ebay that I've heard 100's of times.

....sell items you don't have to see, store, or even pay for......

Sound like selling items you don't own is OK, and even encouraged.