NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-08-2019, 04:13 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Default Hats off to the USWNT

Hats off to the U.S. Woman’s National soccer team, and especially Megan Rapinoe. They talked big and backed it up. Forget equal pay for the men’s and woman’s teams. The men are horrible and no threat to win anything. The women should be paid more than the men. They are the best in the world and likely to stay that way.
Old 07-08-2019, 05:21 PM
Al

SO much fun to watch that game yesterday!

-Al
Old 07-08-2019, 05:27 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al C.risafulli View Post
SO much fun to watch that game yesterday!

-Al
+1 it was a great game to watch.

We(most of us) should move to collecting womens soccer cards. Wouldn't it make much more sense to collect pictures of younger athletic women in uniforms. That would just make us creepy old men. Now collecting younger athletic men in uniforms makes us look like........

Before anyone gets all offended that is a joke but if you are still offended fire away.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:11 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
+1 it was a great game to watch.

We(most of us) should move to collecting womens soccer cards. Wouldn't it make much more sense to collect pictures of younger athletic women in uniforms. That would just make us creepy old men. Now collecting younger athletic men in uniforms makes us look like........

Before anyone gets all offended that is a joke but if you are still offended fire away.
Were you collecting when the benchwarmers cards were current?

Now we're both in trouble.....
Old 07-08-2019, 07:20 PM
Dave_Berg

My son and daughter were at the game. Sounds like it was amazing!
Old 07-08-2019, 05:31 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

No politics.

Old 07-08-2019, 05:33 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

David—Who are you referring to? If you are referring to the initial post there is no politics in it. Politics is the way countries are governed and the ways governments make rules and laws. Mine was simply a comment about how our national soccer teams are run.

Last edited by oldjudge; 07-08-2019 at 05:36 PM.
Old 07-08-2019, 06:24 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
David—Who are you referring to? If you are referring to the initial post there is no politics in it. Politics is the way countries are governed and the ways governments make rules and laws. Mine was simply a comment about how our national soccer teams are run.
It was a response to the OP and was just a joke.
Old 07-08-2019, 06:32 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
It was a response to the OP and was just a joke.
LOL, no problem. Sometimes, when walking down the old West streets of Net 54, you draw first and ask questions later.

Last edited by oldjudge; 07-08-2019 at 06:32 PM.
Old 07-08-2019, 06:57 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Hats off to the U.S. Woman’s National soccer team, and especially Megan Rapinoe. They talked big and backed it up. Forget equal pay for the men’s and woman’s teams. The men are horrible and no threat to win anything. The women should be paid more than the men. They are the best in the world and likely to stay that way.
The Mens World Cup brings in way, way more money. 6 Billion vs 130 Million were the figures I heard on ESPN. Equal pay will happen when the Women generate the revenue.

I enjoyed watching the World Cup. When I watch the Men I root for the US until they are eliminated, then I root for Germany. Its nice to root for the US Women from beginning to end.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:10 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
The Mens World Cup brings in way, way more money. 6 Billion vs 130 Million were the figures I heard on ESPN. Equal pay will happen when the Women generate the revenue.

I enjoyed watching the World Cup. When I watch the Men I root for the US until they are eliminated, then I root for Germany. Its nice to root for the US Women from beginning to end.
That's the worldwide number, and it makes the international prize money make sense. The US pay and bonus money is also a lot less than the mens team, but the womens team has earned more three years in a row.
Old 07-09-2019, 04:44 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
That's the worldwide number, and it makes the international prize money make sense. The US pay and bonus money is also a lot less than the mens team, but the womens team has earned more three years in a row.
Then they should get paid more, period.
Old 07-09-2019, 06:47 AM
Scott Levy

It’s cool to have a local tie to this team. My country club (Trenton CC) assistant golf pro (Brian Hollis) is married to Carli Lloyd. Unfortunately, Brian has recently moved on to another CC as their head pro ... but Carli has even appeared in person on occasion ... very cool.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:29 PM
Kenny Cole

Quote:

If pay is in any way based on performance (and I recognize that it often is not), it is more than clear that the women are VASTLY underpaid and the men are VASTLY overpaid. That is a no-brainer IMO. I hope they win their lawsuit.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:47 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Hard to lose when there is no competition. Women’s national soccer teams throughout the world are just an afterthought.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:50 PM
Don

They should play the men's team, double or nothing.
Old 07-09-2019, 04:41 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarBear View Post
They should play the men's team, double or nothing.
Didn't the Womens team lose to 15 year old boys?
Old 07-08-2019, 09:34 PM
Terry
Ter.ence Le.wis

Default Hats off to the USWNT

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbeachley View Post
Hard to lose when there is no competition. Women’s national soccer teams throughout the world are just an afterthought.

Ignorant statement. All of Western Europe, Japan/Korea/Oceana, North America and the whole of South America put a great emphasis on women’s football. Saying woman’s sports are an afterthought in these regions shows your lack of knowledge of international woman’s sports. It’s the elite sport for women in all these regions.

It just so happens we have superior infrastructure to any other nation in the world. USA woman’s football will always be the class of the world. If it wasn’t for baseball and basketball, USA would also dominate in men’s football as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by lancemountain; 07-08-2019 at 09:43 PM.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:50 PM
Kenny Cole

Quote:
Here's a thought: Celebrate their achievements, which are fairly epic. Or are you just too big a pig to do that?
Old 07-09-2019, 12:35 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Cole View Post
Here's a thought: Celebrate their achievements, which are fairly epic. Or are you just too big a pig to do that?
To be transparent, I feel the same way about the Dream Team winning gold medals in basketball. Not even a competition
Old 07-08-2019, 11:24 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Quote:
The men’s team are the Washington Generals of the soccer world. People don’t pay big bucks to watch them, they pay big bucks to see the team that will beat them. In 2018, they got knocked out of the World Cup by that perennial soccer power Trinidad and Tobago, a country with less people than a few Manhattan high rises.
The easy solution to the salary issue is pay both the men and women the same amount per game won in the World Cup. Their salary should be based on performance. It’s not like this will hurt our men’s team’s performance. They will lose either way. The woman’s team is a source of national pride. The men’s team, not so much.
Old 07-08-2019, 11:37 PM
Kenny Cole

Quote:
The men’s team are the Washington Generals of the soccer world. People don’t pay big bucks to watch them, they pay big bucks to see the team that will beat them. In 2018, they got knocked out of the World Cup by that perennial soccer power Trinidad and Tobago, a country with less people than a few Manhattan high rises.
The easy solution to the salary issue is pay both the men and women the same amount per game won in the World Cup. Their salary should be based on performance. It’s not like this will hurt our men’s team’s performance. They will lose either way. The woman’s team is a source of national pride. The men’s team, not so much.
Wow. A completely revolutionary idea. And I historically don't even like soccer, at least when the men play. I would rather watch grass grow.
But I watched the last 3 women's games. And I got into it. I have never before admitted that.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:55 PM
Be.n C0z1n

I’m the bad guy... My mom is English and I was pulling hard for the English team to beat the US. It means so much more to the average fan in these other countries. Also, let me be clear, I have never won a Olympic medal, World Cup, professional sport. I have played college sports and had three shoulder surgeries, so I get their sacrifice to win the gold.
My issue is this, we should win the gold every World Cup. We have so many ladies playing soccer in this country, and our population is tremendous. Can’t compare the guys to the girls. Best male athletes in America usually gravitate towards track, football or basketball.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:41 PM
Terry
Ter.ence Le.wis

Quote:

The issue is not only the pay but the treatment. The women aren’t afforded the same travel, pay and hospitality as the men. By the letter of the law they should be equal.

I’m not talking about the the World Cup. The men’s tourney generates billions while the woman’s generates tens of millions.

It’s the pay for friendlies, practice, travel and the club wage structures.

In short: the men are payed more and treated better for those things despite drawing less TV revenue. Getting to the World Cup? Fair play, you get paid more because the men’s tourney is richer. But it’s the rest of the program that’s wacky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 07-10-2019, 06:55 AM
Bruce Fairchild

Quote:
++
Old 07-11-2019, 06:06 AM

Quote:
agree 10,000%