NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-01-2005, 02:49 PM
Administrator

Default Money and a big IF....

Posted By: David Smith

Hello all,

Ok, there is another thread about the value of people's collections. This is somewhat related, I think.

I used to know a collector who had sold part of his collection years ago but kept his T206 Wagner and was working on getting all the Southern Leaguers and their different backs.

I told him if I ever won the lottery that I would like to buy his collection. So far, I haven't won (still hopeful) and as far as I know, the gentleman still has his cards. The cards are not graded and he doesn't like using the computer.

Now, my question. If I did win the lottery (at least $20 million) and was set for life, would Keith O or Larry F or some of the others mentioned with great collections sell their collections? Or would they wait and let whoever inherited the collection decide to sell or not?

With things being the way they are now, I could never hope to FIND large amounts of rare cards, so I could only hope to buy others collections, or parts of.

Thanks for any input,

David

Old 09-01-2005, 03:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc S.

Keith O. loves the hobby and has been living and breathing it for decades now. He, I imagine, is pretty well off money-wise, and I cannot imagine there being a financial incentive for him to sell.

With Larry F. - he might be able to be persuaded if you opened up a museum showcasing his collection.

~ms

Old 09-01-2005, 04:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Smith

Hello,

If I had the big bucks, I would set up a National Baseball Card Hall of Fame for Pre-World War II cards and memorabilia only. I would try to get the Burdick collection, either by buying it or on loan, so that more people could actually see the thing.

Old 09-01-2005, 09:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: deleted

I would give just about anything to see pictures of some of these guys' collections.

OT, but what does everyone think is possibly the rarest card in the world and do any of these guys have a known verifiable rarest card?

Old 09-01-2005, 10:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

What is the rarest card???

My thinking, the rarest cards, are T231 Fan cards. Who has one of those??

Whoever does, flashing cash won't buy one. And if you found an owner, how do you buy it??? Think about IRS, tax basis in the card, and dare you isure such a card, so it appears on a policy schedule, so when you die, shouldn't it be in your estate for tax purposes???

I've "heard", we've "heard" that there are "40 to 50 Wagners", or "80 Wagners".... I figure there are more. I have personally met 2 people that had ownership, held one Wagner in my hand (a crime free Wagner, no plastic prison!) talked with 2 owners on the phone, exchanged emails with two more, and just really, really know of about 5 other people who own a Wagner... Difficult for me to believe that there are only 40, yet I know the whereabouts of close to half of them!?!?!

I figure / believe that there are more real T206 Wagners out there than there are any one N173 Old Judge Cabinet, more than any one Joseph Hall Cabinet, more than any T214 Victory, more than any T217 Mono... And I figure that it would be close for a T200 premium, the T210s of Jackson and Stengel, and the 1915 Zeenut of McMullen. But I confess a bit of bias on this last bunch, and I don't know...

I'd like to hear others' opinions on the rare cards.

And I'm not maligning the Wagner cards. The Wagner card is THE card.

Frank.

Old 09-01-2005, 10:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anson

The rarest card? The one that hasn't been discovered yet

Top grade Four Base Hits card might be towards the top of the list, though.

Old 09-01-2005, 10:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: zach

just so Young....any of the alpha ingraving cards...many more

edited to add....baltimore news cobb and old put overprint cobb

Old 09-02-2005, 12:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Any card that only one known example exist like aforementitoned Just So Young and it's counterpart Burkett, then there are the e104-3 I revealed this year along with my e90-3 Hofman error. Cards like that are the rarest since there is only one known example.

Jay

My place is full of valuable, worthless junk.

Old 09-02-2005, 07:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

The rarest catalogued card/set, imo and by definition, is the T231 Fans Cigarette card(s). As everyone is well aware there is only 1 known and 1 Xerox copy of another. Their can't technically be a more rare catalogued (ACC)set....I don't think......I was biting my tongue but sort of had to chime in. As for individual cards there are many that are unique. regards