NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-23-2008, 09:19 PM
Administrator

Default T206 unopened baseball pack

Posted By: Marty Ogelvie

This auction on eBay is for an unopened T206 cigarette pack.  I was under the impression that there was no way of knowing if these packs contained a baseball card or a card with a flag or bird or one of the other series of premiums but GAI has labled this unopened pack as a T206 Baseball card pack...   am I wrong?  Does this pack actually contain a T206 baseball card or is it just misleading lable...?

http://tinyurl.com/6ko3nc

martyOgelvie
nyyankeecards.com
Old 05-23-2008, 09:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jon Canfield

Marty - besides not truly knowing, this pack cannot date before 1917 as it is a 12 cigarette configuration. GAI is very bad at identifying these correctly.

- Jon

Old 05-24-2008, 05:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Marty Ogelvie

Thanks Jon,

That's good info.  Does GAI just take the submitters word for it?  I am sure the submitter of this box noted on the submission form that this was a a Cigarrette pack from teh 1909-1911 era that contained a T206 card and GAI just said sure, why not!?!?

That's seems a bit insane to me..

martyOgelvie
nyyankeecards.com
Old 05-24-2008, 07:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

GAI either takes the submitter's word for it or they make the mistake themselves. Same outcome many times...wrong. I think over the years they have gotten better at the dating. When they first started slabbing them they did a horrible job. I was in the elevator with some GAI folks at the National (a few years ago) and asked them about the erroneuous dating of the packs and they were very nonchalant about it......Packs have to have the overstamp on the stamp, and it be readable, to properly date them ....regards

edited to add- I just looked at this pack and it's in a new holder and very wrong....I guess they haven't learned from their mistakes......what a shame...I WONDER WHO AUTHENTICATED IT AT GAI?

Old 05-24-2008, 12:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

They haven't learned or they don't care, slab, slab, slab in volume means $$$$$$$$$.

Old 05-24-2008, 06:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jon Canfield

Maybe Giddings heads up pack authentication as well? All kidding aside, if GAI invested $40.00 in a copy of Springer's guide to revenue stamps, they could certainly increase their accuracy in correctly identifying these packs. This was the same issue we discussed with the REA Piedmont pack. All evidence (including revenue codes) says that 12 count configurations were first produced in 1917.

Old 05-25-2008, 05:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

They don't care about right, they care about volume. Welcome to grading.