NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-18-2011, 08:48 PM
Jeff Gross

Default Paypal "gift" question

If you send someone funds as a "personal gift" through Paypal to pay for a card, does the buyer have any protection or recourse if the card never arrives or if it is different than stated?

Anyone have any experience with this "gift" option on paypal as a buyer or a seller? All I know is that the person receiving the "gift" money gets 100% of it and doesn't pay the 2.9% paypal fee.

Thanks.

Last edited by jg8422; 06-18-2011 at 11:45 PM.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:02 PM

Absolutely none, unless it's with a credit card. That's why most buyers don't like to use it.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:47 PM
Jeff Gross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Absolutely none, unless it's with a credit card. That's why most buyers don't like to use it.
Does your credit card company simply take your word that the card never arrived, was not as stated, etc. and refund you money?
Old 06-19-2011, 01:19 AM
Steven Finley

I don't mind using paying paypal gift as long as I'm purchasing something from someone I have dealt with before and/or the amount is low enough that if I get burned I won't hate myself for being out said amount. My own rule of thumb is when using paypal gift use common sense, because you're level of protection is very low.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:09 AM
Dan Green

I've been using it alot lately both as buyer and seller. As long as you are dealing with somebody you know it's great. Saved me a good bit of money on some lots I've bought. pretty much zero protection though. On the issue of using a credit card to send a gift for some protection, it is pointless. I tried doing it on one deal as an experiment and if you try to send gift with a credit card it charges you a fee as the buyer. If you are going to do that, you may as well just pay regular paypal and agree to cover the seller's fees.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:21 PM
Ben H*ds@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfinley View Post
I don't mind using paying paypal gift as long as I'm purchasing something from someone I have dealt with before and/or the amount is low enough that if I get burned I won't hate myself for being out said amount. My own rule of thumb is when using paypal gift use common sense, because you're level of protection is very low.
+1 well said
Old 06-19-2011, 05:51 PM
J@RR0D

PLEASE BEWARE: I use to sell a lot of items via Paypal gift on a high-end guitar forum. After a few thousand dollars worth of sales, I got an email from Paypal saying my account would be closed if I continue to accept gift payments for "what they know are actual purchases."

Be careful what you put in the memo field.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:04 PM
Brock

What about payment owed. Is there a back up if the seller sells wrong goods or sends nothing. C