NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-29-2021, 10:06 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default 1919 Ruth vs 2021 Ohtani

These two seasons provide the best comparison based on how they were used both as pitchers and hitters. Ruth was exclusively a hurler until 1918.
He was effectively no longer pitching in 1920. He did both hitting and pitching on a regular basis only in 1919. So how have they done.

Home runs

Ohtani 37 with 60 games to play
Ruth 29

Stolen Bases

Ohtani 14
Ruth 7

ERA

Ohtani 3.09 with 15 starts
Ruth 2.97 with 15 starts

Batting Average

Ohtani .280
Ruth .322

Opposing pitchers are beginning to walk Ohtani more.
Ruth had over 100 walks in 1919.

There is really no other season comparable to 2021 Ohtani since 1919.

I’m a believer in this kid and feel that it would be a disservice if he is not the MVP this year.

He is truly fun to watch.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 07-31-2021 at 04:07 PM.
Old 07-29-2021, 10:09 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

He is having a great season but the comparison is apples to oranges. A better comparison would be to look at the percentage of the players HRs to total major league HRs. When this is done there is no comparison.
Old 07-29-2021, 10:27 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
He is having a great season but the comparison is apples to oranges. A better comparison would be to look at the percentage of the players HRs to total major league HRs. When this is done there is no comparison.
One season apples to apples.

I’m making no assertions regarding their career totals, hall of fame credentials or anything else. I totally agree that one Ohtani season is not comparable to 20 Ruth seasons.

To deny what Shohei is doing and bringing to the game is like wearing sunglasses on a cloudy day at sundown. I wish him well.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 07-29-2021, 10:41 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
One season apples to apples.

I’m making no assertions regarding their career totals, hall of fame credentials or anything else. I totally agree that one Ohtani season is not comparable to 20 Ruth seasons.

To deny what Shohei is doing and bringing to the game is like wearing sunglasses on a cloudy day at sundown. I wish him well.
That’s not what I’m saying. Take team stats for the year in question. Ruth hit 29/33 HRs for the BoSox. Otani is hitting 37/137 HRs for the Angels. A great number but no comparison to Ruth.
Old 07-29-2021, 11:33 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
That’s not what I’m saying. Take team stats for the year in question. Ruth hit 29/33 HRs for the BoSox. Otani is hitting 37/137 HRs for the Angels. A great number but no comparison to Ruth.
I’m not comparing the Red Sox team to the Angels team, nor am I claiming any real similarity between 1919 and 2021.

Ruth in 1919 was unique to the game. In 2021 Ohtani is unique to the game.

They are similar in their uniquity in the years cited, even if Ruth is an apple and Ohtani is an orange.

It would be ridiculous too speculate what Ruth’s numbers would look like if he were playing in 2021 and what Ohtani’s numbers would have been had he played in 1919. Would the Red Sox team have hit more home runs in 1919 with Ohtani on the team. C’mon Man.

Three astute members of the forum understand and agree with my premise.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 07-30-2021 at 09:25 AM.
Old 07-30-2021, 01:09 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

The first post is directly comparing their numbers without regard to the context in which they happened, though. It's not really nitpicking to observe the titanic gulf between offense in 1919 and 2021 that makes directly comparing non-contextual statistics extremely misleading.

Ruth was a much, much better offensive season than Ohtani's in context, but worse pitching (His ERA was 2% better than the league). Ruth's season changed how the offensive game has been played ever since; we shall see if Ohtani has any real effect.
Old 07-30-2021, 08:41 AM
Steve Woe.lfel

Quote:
I’m not comparing the Red Sox team to the Angels team, nor am I claiming any real similarity between 1919 and 2021.

Ruth in 1919 was unique to the game. In 2021 Ohtani is unique to the game.

They are similar in their uniiquity in the years cited, even if Ruth is an apple and Ohtani is an orange.

It would be ridiculous too speculate what Ruth’s numbers would look like if he were playing in 2021 and what Ohtani’s numbers would have been had he played in 1919. Wooud the Red Sox team have hit more home runs in 1919 with Ohtani on the team. C’mon Man.

Three astute members of the forum understand and agree with my premise.
I agree!!
T206 SLers: 11/48
T206 Back Run: 28/39

Desiderata

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Strive to be happy.
Old 07-29-2021, 10:48 PM
Doug Goodman

I agree with your point 100% Frank.

Sure we can nitpick about every stat, but the general point "There is really no other season comparable to 2021 Ohtani since 1919" is valid.

Also, no question on his MVP creds, in my opinion.

Doug
Old 07-29-2021, 10:12 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

100% agree Frank, Ohtani are the only modern cards I own.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 07-29-2021, 10:25 PM
Steven Finley

Not that I believe what someone can accomplish in a season is a direct correlation to a career but I saw this stat today: Ohtani’s season OPS+ is comparable to Mantle’s career OPS+. While also his season’s ERA+ is comparable to Pedro’s career ERA+. I’m enjoying watching his amazing season.
Old 07-30-2021, 12:27 PM
Rob
Rob.ert We.ekes

Quote:
These two seasons provide the best comparison based on how they were used both as pitchers and hitters. Ruth was exclusively a hurler until 1918.
He was effectively no longer pitching in 1920. He did both hitting and pitching on a regular basis only in 1919. So how have they done.

Home runs

Ohtani 37 with 60 games to pla
Ruth 29

Stolen Bases

Ohtani 14
Ruth 7

ERA

Ohtani 3.09 with 15 starts
Ruth 2.97 with 15 starts

Batting Average

Ohtani .280
Ruth .322

Opposing pitchers are beginning to walk Ohtani more.
Ruth had over 100 walks in 1919.

There is really no other season comparable to 2021 Ohtani since 1919.

I’m a believer in this kid and feel that it would be a disservice if he is not the MVP this year.

He is truly fun to watch.
While I basically agree with you, Frank, about how exciting Ohtani is, I also feel that a bit more perspective is in order. For example, the fences were typically 450+ feet from home plate back in Ruth's day. There is a book titled, "The Year the Babe Hit 104 Home Runs," which, I believe, is premised on the idea that today's fences would have yielded that many homers to Ruth in 1921 even though the record books only credit him with 59. In fact, we still have good video evidence that the Babe was able to hit a 500+ foot home run in every American League park that year! And of course we know there were years when he out-homered entire teams. As a power hitter, I don't think anyone else compares to Ruth.

Last edited by robw1959; 07-30-2021 at 12:28 PM.
Old 07-30-2021, 01:19 PM
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by robw1959 View Post
While I basically agree with you, Frank, about how exciting Ohtani is, I also feel that a bit more perspective is in order. For example, the fences were typically 450+ feet from home plate back in Ruth's day. There is a book titled, "The Year the Babe Hit 104 Home Runs," which, I believe, is premised on the idea that today's fences would have yielded that many homers to Ruth in 1921 even though the record books only credit him with 59. In fact, we still have good video evidence that the Babe was able to hit a 500+ foot home run in every American League park that year! And of course we know there were years when he out-homered entire teams. As a power hitter, I don't think anyone else compares to Ruth.
He is only credited with 59 home runs in 1921 because that is how many he it. I don't know of any record books that make adjustments based on what the fences would be like in the future.

This is great news that there is good video evidence of Babe Ruth's home runs in every AL park in 1921. I would love to see those videos so any links would be appreciated.
My avatar is a drawing of a 1958 Topps Hank Aaron by my daughter. If you are interested in one in a similar style based on the card of your choice, details can be found by searching threads with the title phrase Custom Baseball Card Artwork or by PMing me.
Old 07-30-2021, 06:45 PM
J@mes In.gram

It is an interesting comparison, and Ohtani is pretty amazing, indeed. I hope it works out for him in the long run. We'll see what happens during "the test of time".

Ruth turned out to be bigger than life, single-handedly saving baseball from the Black Sox scandal, hitting so many home runs that, at the time, it was incomprehensible, leaving many people far more intelligent and knowledgeable than me thinking he's the greatest ballplayer, ever. With a larger than life personality to go with all that.

Ohtani has this sort of potential?
Old 07-30-2021, 06:55 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
It is an interesting comparison, and Ohtani is pretty amazing, indeed. I hope it works out for him in the long run. We'll see what happens during "the test of time".

Ruth turned out to be bigger than life, single-handedly saving baseball from the Black Sox scandal, hitting so many home runs that, at the time, it was incomprehensible, leaving many people far more intelligent and knowledgeable than me thinking he's the greatest ballplayer, ever. With a larger than life personality to go with all that.

Ohtani has this sort of potential?
I do not believe he has that potential to be the big influence like the babe, for one he is in a small market (by his choice) and they never win so he is not seen as much and since he is not in the playoff he is not seen and does not have a chance to build a legacy thru championships.

But we can enjoy his skills and highlights in the regular season

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 07-31-2021, 11:18 AM
Dave

LOL, it shouldn't be sacrilegious just to utter Babe Ruth and Shohei Ohtani's name in the same breath.

Nobody's comparing them beat for beat. Just one fascinating season with another, from two unique athletes from completely different era's.

To pretend it's not going to be a natural comparison for fans to make, comes off as slightly obstinate to me.

Don't worry guys. Ohtani is not going to supplant Babe Ruth in any legacy race, and he's not going to cause your Babe Ruth cards and memorabilia to lose value because a bunch of young whippersnappers are salivating all over Ohtani right now.

Personally to me, without the benefit of hindsight, Ohtani most reminds me of somebody like Bo Jackson...........but for obvious different reasons.

I don't think Ohtani will ever be a HOF'er (*unless his Japanese League accomplishments are taken into consideration), but we will look back and ooooh and ahhhhhh over his accomplishments over a short amount of time before injuries and expectations catch up to him.

.......and I wouldn't hand him the MVP quite yet. He's not exactly proven to be an Iron Man, and he could just as conceivably tear a ligament or blow out a knee in the next week or so, as he could strike out 12 guys, or have a 3 homer game.

Who knows, he might go on to have a long and distinguished career. If this was the late 80's or 90's, he might have the medicinal help to do just that...........but most other era's......when a player becomes injury prone, he doesn't suddenly stop being injury prone.