NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-16-2022, 12:47 AM
Rocky Rockwell

Default PC 770 Help Needed

Okay folks this is what happens when you buy stuff and toss it in boxes over decades. I bought a couple of PC 770 cards in Ohio about 40 years ago a common and a Lajoie with writing on the back and mailed. In perusing my 2016 SCD price guide ( which is a very fun thing to flip through looking at all the different sets and cards, prices out of date of course) I noticed that the common Stoval ( one L ) was not one of the ones listed. I cant find it on any checklist on the internet or find another one sold previously..... can anyone document another one out there? Im no good at posting pictures but could e mail it to someone to post if they want..... Im not looking to sell or trade at this time but just searching for information...... maybe my common is rarer than the Lajoie? Thanks...... Rocky
Old 01-16-2022, 04:48 AM

Default it's not uncommon for such an obscure set

to unearth a heretofore unknown example. I recently acquired a Turner which increased the known population by one (according to online checklists). There wasn't a premium placed on it as the set is underrated imo and not widely collected, which is surprising for such great looking postcards also imo.

you mention recent sales I purchased Turner card last month on ebay for mid 500s and Lajoie for mid 1300s. They were both postally used from the same seller and didn't have pc770 in the listing. They didn't fly under the radar. They don't get a lot of love. Both welcome year end additions to my collection.

Last edited by pete zouras; 01-16-2022 at 06:07 AM.
Old 01-16-2022, 08:36 AM
K3v1n Stru55

Stoval is a known subject in the set 1908 PC770 American League Publishing postcard set. Here is an image of one that I have in my photo library (not mine).

As Pete mentioned, this set is pretty rare and it is not uncommon to find new subjects. I do not have the 2016 guide in front of me, but I would guess that there are several new discoveries that could be added to their checklist.

I think that this is one of the best postcard sets ever and very underrated. The subjects in the set include Cleveland Indian players along with the "Champion Batters" of the AL and NL - Cobb and Wagner and Jennings the manager of the "Champions American League." We can only hope that the manger of the "Champions National League" shows up one day - Frank Chance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stoval 1a.jpg (77.0 KB, 143 views)

Last edited by Baseball Rarities; 01-16-2022 at 10:58 AM.
Old 01-16-2022, 08:45 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Great postcards

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 01-16-2022, 09:47 AM
Rocky Rockwell

Default Stoval

Kevin that is the card although yours has something above his head in a box that mine does not. A fellow Net54er has kindly offered to post my cards and will do so soon...... thanks to all for the replies! So I guess Im not going to be able to trade my Stoval for a Wagner or a Cobb after all...... darn.
Old 01-16-2022, 12:23 PM
Kyle May

Here are the photos the OP (Rocky) wanted included in this thread...

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame

Last edited by KMayUSA6060; 01-17-2022 at 09:04 AM.
Old 01-17-2022, 12:47 PM
K3v1n Stru55

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDocter View Post
Kevin that is the card although yours has something above his head in a box that mine does not..
The "Collister and Sayle" ad comes in a variety of colors (not mine)

Also, there is a single card with "Pat Herbst, Cigars" advertising on the front also. The player just so happens to be Wagner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg REA Group a.jpg (76.6 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg Wagner 1a.JPG (77.7 KB, 83 views)

Last edited by Baseball Rarities; 01-17-2022 at 02:10 PM.
Old 01-17-2022, 02:05 PM

Default hinchman card is badass with sunglasses

a quick google search of the interweb revealed a common use of sunglasses in the early 20th century was for people with syphilis because one of the symptoms of the disease was sensitivity to light. your wags is awesome.
Old 01-18-2022, 09:57 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Rarities View Post
The "Collister and Sayle" ad comes in a variety of colors (not mine)

Also, there is a single card with "Pat Herbst, Cigars" advertising on the front also. The player just so happens to be Wagner.
Great postcards.,,,