NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-01-2021, 08:17 AM
Mark Arzoumanian

Default The FBI's Art Crime Team: In the Beginning...

Who would have ever thought a major looting of Baghdad, Iraq’s National Museum (thousands of works were stolen in April 2003) would eventually lead to the demise of Mastro Auctions? What could these two events possibly have in common? Answer: The FBI’s art crime team.
The U.S. had invaded Iraq that year and then looked on helplessly as precious art worth millions of dollars was carried out by Iraqis and eventually shipped to countries around the world, including the U.S.
It was a stunning wake-up call. A loud one. It took a couple more years for the government to get organized but this “rape” of Iraq led to the March 2005 formation of the FBI’s art crime team. Fifteen months later this group of experts (today numbering 15) started investigating Mastro Auctions. In February 2009 the country’s largest online sports memorabilia auction house closed its doors for good due in large part to its shill bidding activities.
Trafficking in stolen works of art costs governments across the world billions of dollars a year. Verifiable numbers are impossible to determine. Although this activity has been occurring for hundreds of years, it took the events in Iraq (almost 18 years ago now) to compel the FBI into action. Fortunately it had among its agents a select few with an appreciation of art and a passion to not only preserve it but also keep it where it rightfully belonged.
And it took a key special agent’s appreciation of baseball cards and sports memorabilia to stop Bill Mastro. This special agent, Chicago-based Brian Brusokas, wasn’t the first one to be made aware that Mastro was ripping off customers. And as he pursued this case he had a lot of help from fellow agents. The accusations against Mastro fell on deft ears for years. And even when Brusokas was made aware of this case he knew he would have to do a lot of homework to fully understand his modus operandi.
What do members of the art crime team need to possess? You’re not just randomly assigned to it, after all. It has to be something that the agent wants to do because he or she has a true passion for the items in question, whether they are a vintage baseball card or the Warka Vase (a 5,000-year-old narrative relief sculpture) from Iraq.
Members of this team need to know the dealers, collectors and auction houses. If they’re dealing in art they must have the numbers of appraisers and curators on their iPhones. Forming partnerships is also critical.
Flexibility and speed are important, as crooks and the items they steal or alter can move around the country very quickly. Unfortunately, the team has undoubtedly been hurt by the COVID-19 pandemic but now that vaccines are slowly rolling out this setback shouldn’t last much longer.
Brusokas has been involved in much more than sports memorabilia fraudsters, of course. He has investigated computer crimes and corporate and mortgage fraud. While on the team he helped to stop a multimillion-dollar global fine art print counterfeiting operation that resulted in 14 individuals being charged in the U.S. and eight individuals being charged in Europe. He aided the White House in getting back a stolen Presidential Medal of Freedom that was to be awarded to Apollo 13 Astronaut James A. Lovell after his crew’s 1970 mission into space. And more.
For many years a founder of the art crime team, Robert Wittman, pursued art criminals throughout the world. True, he never worked in the sports memorabilia arena but his book, Priceless: How I Went Undercover to Rescue the World’s Stolen Treasures, is still well worth reading. He put his life on the line, once buying a $35 million masterpiece while pretending to be an appraiser working for the Russian mob.
Although it has been a while since I read his book, I do remember he had to practice a lot of patience waiting for these thieves to feel as if they could trust him. I’m sure the book is required reading for any new art crime team member.
If you’re part of this team today, do you have any worries about not having enough to keep you busy? No. Why?
“Everything that you can imagine that has a monetary value or cultural significance is subject to theft or fakery,” states Bonnie Magness-Gardiner, the team’s manager when the FBI posted an interview with her in February 2015. Today she’s semi-retired but still active in cultural property protection.
Is the team currently pursuing cases in the sports memorabilia field? Although I have no inside information, I believe the answer is yes. You have the PWCC/PSA/Gary Moser case that COVID-19 might have slowed but not stopped.
“They [PWCC] may get off on everything or close to it because Jeff Lichtman [PWCC’s lawyer] is such a great lawyer and is having them do all the right things,” says an industry veteran who has worked with the FBI in the past. “But it’s multi-faceted in that it involves shill bidding and a whole laundry list of other types of fraud relating to doctoring cards as a business model.”
Obviously, this case has tentacles; no one knows where they will reach.
Then there’s the Don Henkel case that I detailed in my December 2020 blog (see “The FBI and Fraud Cases: Slam Dunks Required.) He’s an alleged forger whose Traverse City, Mich., home was raided by the FBI last summer. Are there more? Who knows.
“If it wasn’t for Brian {Brusokas] it might be that none of these [sports memorabilia] cases would have been pursued properly or at all,” stresses the aforementioned veteran. “He’s a true expert. But he didn’t start off on day one being an expert.”
If asked about his accomplishments, Brusokas would surely deflect any credit and instead paraphrase Magness-Gardiner, who in her FBI interview said, “A big part of our success is the team approach because it allows us to work throughout the entire country with a highly-trained group of individuals who communicate with each other and are passionate about the work they do.”

Last edited by marzoumanian; 02-01-2021 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Deleted my website.
Old 02-01-2021, 09:08 AM
Chris Kim
Banned

??

I am confused!!! Please give me back my 3 mins reading of this post!!
.......realize it is a self-promotion of his own blog in the last sentence!!! Not cool!

Last edited by chriskim; 02-01-2021 at 09:15 AM.
Old 02-01-2021, 09:14 AM
Mark Arzoumanian

Default I Understand Your Objection

I am trying to serve readers with solid information. With that objective, I deleted the website mention. Thanks for the feedback. Peace.
Old 02-01-2021, 09:18 AM
Don Hontz

Whatever happened to Gary Moser? I guess he is still free. It’s ashame these guys are still free.
Old 02-01-2021, 09:19 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskim View Post
??

I am confused!!! Please give me back my 3 mins reading of this post!!
.......realize it is a self-promotion of his own blog in the last sentence!!! Not cool!
Yeah, he (hi Mark) and I have talked about that on numerous occasions.

I feel the need for a card.... a 1929 Tower Premium and I believe the only card/premium like it known from the set, if there was one.

Old 02-01-2021, 09:40 AM
mark sanders

Default In Mark's Defense:

i think it's pretty common knowledge that most of mark's threads reference an article he's written associated with his blog.
the blog is and the articles are interesting, well researched, well written and extremely informative.
if you have not yet, you should look it up and read some of his archived blogs.
once you do i believe you will agree with me in regards to the the value of the blog, as well as the value of the man as a member of our community!
BAT ON: Old Mill, SC 350/25
BAT OFF: Cycle, Lenox, Piedmont 460/42, Uzit
& Piedmont 350

Last edited by sando69; 02-01-2021 at 09:42 AM.
Old 02-01-2021, 10:43 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sando69 View Post
i think it's pretty common knowledge that most of mark's threads reference an article he's written associated with his blog.
the blog is and the articles are interesting, well researched, well written and extremely informative.
if you have not yet, you should look it up and read some of his archived blogs.
once you do i believe you will agree with me in regards to the the value of the blog, as well as the value of the man as a member of our community!
I don't disagree with any of that, either.

Old 02-01-2021, 11:00 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Was hoping to see some new info on Brusokas and the PWCC/PSA Investigation. I hope they haven't gone to sleep on this one, as the level of fraud runs far deeper than Mastro.

As for the article, it would help if the OP could break his immense block of words into smaller paragraphs. It is very laborious to follow along without any separation of thoughts. It would make for more pleasurable reading to break it up a bit. Just my .02
Old 02-01-2021, 02:17 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Was hoping to see some new info on Brusokas and the PWCC/PSA Investigation. I hope they haven't gone to sleep on this one, as the level of fraud runs far deeper than Mastro.

As for the article, it would help if the OP could break his immense block of words into smaller paragraphs. It is very laborious to follow along without any separation of thoughts. It would make for more pleasurable reading to break it up a bit. Just my .02
Agreed and I was going to say the same thing it's just too hard a read for us non millennials. Space between paragraphs would help too.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 02-01-2021 at 02:17 PM.
Old 02-01-2021, 03:54 PM
Rich Klein

As a person who has written and currently writes articles for various hobby on-line publications, I don't really have an issue with Mark promoting his blog. It's not as if he is doing that to take away from the board and is not doing that to buy/sell/trade either.

Just my penny worth on this subject

Rich

Last edited by Rich Klein; 02-01-2021 at 04:58 PM.
Old 02-03-2021, 11:34 AM
Jay Cee

Hi Mark, what is your website? Do you know the relationship Jeff Lichtman PWCC “super lawyer” has with each member of the FBI team.

Last edited by BeanTown; 02-03-2021 at 11:36 AM.